• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS eShop] The Rolling Western/Dillon's Rolling Western |OT|

Wizpig

I think i saw a 5/10 review on a (non english) website.

Now don't get me wrong, i know this game is not for everyone and not as polished as other Nintendo games or as clever in some design choices (just like Tingle RPG, in fact) but wtf?

What i do know is that i already have more hours on this than Pushmo :p and Pushmo is great.
But i really wish they put out a demo for Dillon, so everyone could try it... even if a short demo could make matters worse. (you don't really understand the game with the first village, etc.)

Tom_Cody

I mainly use my right thumb for rolling. The only time I use the stylus is to open those secret doors because you need to have him rolling at full speed consistently. Sometimes I don't get that full speed boost so I'll spend too much time opening the doors. The stylus is way more accurate, but it's much more comfortable using my thumb. I'm hoping I can get away with using my thumb for Kid Icarus.

This game is pretty awesome though. I made it to the fourth town last night and saved my game for the night.

So I'm assuming to have more money I need to start selling items, right? Like those treasures you find in the hidden caves, I sold some of them thinking thats what I'm supposed to do with them, right? So far they haven't come up in any of the quests or anything so I'm assuming stuff like that is made to be sold. If I didn't sell that shit I would have been in a world of hell on Day 3 of the third stage.
I am curious about this as well.

Wizpig

Honestly, this is a perfect review that explains the game well.

The only thing that ruins it is the little number - too low even for the opinions - and, well, er... some of the personal opinions, but that's what a review is all about.

. This precipitates a strategy that boils down to a series of mad dashes across the map to defeat all Grocks without any assistance, and the combat simply isn’t varied enough to withstand such strain.

I can't agree with this; while this is true in the first levels it changes completely when you re-play the levels with more money or simply in later levels in the game, where you have more money already.

I agree that the money is still not that much and the towers don't play the role they would play in other defense games, and i agree that the combat is repetitive, but some will like what others don't, etc.

I didn't like the combat system in Tingle RPG, i like the game as a whole here.

Jethro

Got my ass kicked in town 8 on the second day. The last 12 monsters was just too much to handle. A Coop would be a great fit for the game.

Wizpig

Wtf at 4-3, i had 28 pigs and finished with something like 12-13.
** / ***** ç_ç

Game is trying everything to f**k the player already; add that i'm not good at the genre, and...
I fear for later levels.

Since i had 3 tower with weapons (2 cannons, 1 machine gun) in good spots, though, i think what Edge says is even less correct.
I agree that in the first two days it's not easy (and designed that way) to have weapons built, but by the third day...

BowieZ

Banned
Hint: field of vision is basically essential in Town 7. You'll see why.

Meanwhile, I don't think people are "getting" the structure of this game. The objective of this game is not necessarily to do well/to get 5 stars, it's at first to merely survive and be able to progress. To do well is to not have to go back and replay earlier levels to bolster your stars count; the only way to maintain a sufficient level of stars to keep progressing is to:

have foresight/be conservative/compromise/experiment

The levels are designed to make you uncomfortable. You will forget things, make mistakes, falter under pressure, do things you thought would help but rather hinder you in some other way you didnt properly consider.... but it's so rewarding when you come out of a very tight situation with heaps of bonus cash and open up the next town.

Wizpig

I agree, but on the first try 3 stars is like "5 stars", so getting only 2 means you failed missions etc. and it's too bad.

On the first play it's the best you can get. (i guess? i doubt you can get 4)
Then, in order to 5 stars, you have to replay the level with more money etc.

BowieZ

Banned
Uhg, I started Town 6 yesterday, saw mud everywhere and just turned the game off. I don't need that.
It's not as hard as you think; like most games what seems overwhelming at first can be familiarized and later you'll look back and see how easy and inconsequential it really was!

Uhg, I started Town 6 yesterday, saw mud everywhere and just turned the game off. I don't need that.

Town 6 is actually surprisingly easy to keep grocks from reaching the town but keeping your towers intact becomes the real problem, they are overly aggressive towards towers in that one, on day 3 I had all the gun towers equipped and by the end I had one left which I had rebuilt during the attack, so some extra defence for them wouldn't be amiss.
Though I did have one Grock make it through on day 2, one to which doors are no obstacle.

I like this game, been doing a day+night now and again whenever I have ten minutes to kill. I can see where the complaints about it come from with that Edge review but I think for something to play in short bursts it's fine.

Question about a town 3 quest.

What does the bomb 5 or more grocks 3 times quest mean?

Upon encountering 5 or more Grocks in a battle use a bomb to wipe them out and that counts as 1 time, so basically you need 3 bombs and 3 separate encounters with 5 or more grocks for this quest.

Upon encountering 5 or more Grocks in a battle use a bomb to wipe them out and that counts as 1 time, so basically you need 3 bombs and 3 separate encounters with 5 or more grocks for this quest.

Oooh you can use those bombs in battle? Thought they would only be used outside of battle. Thanks!

Wizpig

You have to access items while in battle, it's not explained very well but it can be done and it can be quite useful.

BowieZ

Banned
Town 9 is crazy. Days 1 and 2 aren't too bad, but if you underperformed on either day, you'll pay the price as the repercussions on Day 3 will be overwhelming.

Wizpig

The Italian translation for this is amazing... one of the new enemies in Town 5 has the best name ever.

EVER.

BowieZ

Banned
The very end of this game teases a sequel: "Dillon's Rolling Western 2: The Last Stand," complete with trailer and official logo.

but then Russ says "Just joking?! Who knows what the future may hold."

Jethro

The last Boss (Town 10) gave me a good fight. I don't know if I do the bonus stuff. 100.000 cash to gain access for the first level sounds not so difficult but 50 stars? Come on. 5 Stars on every stage is too much for me.

Anteo

I love this game. Bought it this morning, and just finished the first town, it's good, like really good.

I just got to chapter 4 or whatever.

Expensive, boring, and hard.

I swear... how do they expect me to build towers and equip guns with 2000 coins? Bitch, bye.

NFreak

I just got to chapter 4 or whatever.

Expensive, boring, and hard.

I swear... how do they expect me to build towers and equip guns with 2000 coins? Bitch, bye.

The point is to observe what paths the grocks take during the first day while getting ore and gems to sell and fortify your walls. At least that's what I do. Then I strategically place my weapons where they will do the most damage. Don't know how long that will work for but I just finished the fourth town.

Question about a last stage mission.
How do I get that rare item? Im trying to 5 star it but that damn mission is holding me back.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The very end of this game teases a sequel: "Dillon's Rolling Western 2: The Last Stand," complete with trailer and official logo.

Fucking cocktease squirrel

BowieZ

Banned
Question about a last stage mission.
How do I get that rare item? Im trying to 5 star it but that damn mission is holding me back.
I managed to find it pretty quickly while grinding for ore on Day 1, before even being assigned the quest. You may need to have a low grind glove to maximize mining produce, although I'm not entirely sure of the ins and outs.

Tip: don't sell any rare items until after Madame Croaky confirms what you need to find for her -- unless you've already given that type of object to her for a previous quest.

There was actually just days ago a trademark by Nintendo for a title with the translation of The Last Ranger. Someone should check out this title in the game in the JP version to see if the two match (the JP logo and the JP trademark).

I want this due to Vanpool, these guys are very under the radar, they sort of act as support in some games, like Little King Story with the audio like the voice work!

And of course like Skip, Vanpool is of Love-de-Lic descent. Hell Kimura was also of LDL descent as well, so sans Skip, LKS was a LdL game! :D Love how colorful and off-beat their games are. :)

What I'm concerned is, is the touch screen required for combat, or can you use buttons to attack?

And how about a full-fledged retail sequel? I'd love to see this fully fledged out and really make it wholesome. Eshop is good for a starting point, but I think a retail sequel would be a nice next step. But not right away of course, maybe a year down the line or so.

Can anyone please rip the art from this?

img.jpg

I want it as an avatar! :D

Edit: Or maybe Russ' art:

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

danootz

Does practicing skills in the saloon do anything aside from just letting you learn and get used to using the moves?

I see the whole Level 1 bandana thing and when in practice mode, it says "practicing..." or whatever and I keep imaging there's some RPG element to this and I can level up particular items.

Is this the case, or have I wasted time practice? I've only just beaten the first town btw.

Boney

Banned
Does practicing skills in the saloon do anything aside from just letting you learn and get used to using the moves?

I see the whole Level 1 bandana thing and when in practice mode, it says "practicing..." or whatever and I keep imaging there's some RPG element to this and I can level up particular items.

Is this the case, or have I wasted time practice? I've only just beaten the first town btw.

It's just for learning how to do the moves. Level 2 and above equipment is bought.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Apologized for the bump, but just finished the second stage and am enjoying the game immensely.

Love the time constraints, the strategic gun placements, trying to balance battling with resource gathering, even the difficulty level. The combat feels nice too.

I'm really satisfied playing this and Denpa Men concurrently. Great little titles.

Top Bottom