• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS eShop] The Rolling Western/Dillon's Rolling Western |OT|

DGRE

Banned
One thing this game needs is a timer that tells you how much time you have left before it gets dark.

I think that's why there's a warning: dusk. I haven't once felt like I didn't have enough time to explore the whole map before the grocks came. It's just enough if you're efficient.

I think that's why there's a warning: dusk. I haven't once felt like I didn't have enough time to explore the whole map before the grocks came. It's just enough if you're efficient.

That warning comes to late when I intend to sell stuff at the village and build my towers after that. That hasn't been a real problem so far, but that lack of information makes it difficult to properly plan between waves.

So am I supposed to sell the ores that are of no use to building the town gates?

Ores have three purposes as far as I know.
1. Sell for money.
2. Save for gates.
3. Save for quests.

Don't think you need them for anything else, and any left overs are sold at the end of the town anyway.

DGRE

Banned
That warning comes to late when I intend to sell stuff at the village and build my towers after that. That hasn't been a real problem so far, but that lack of information makes it difficult to properly plan between waves.

Really? Even if I'm at the far end of the map from the village I always have time to get back, sell stuff, build gates, and get out and build the towers I want. The wave might start before I build my last tower but rolling makes it easy to not waste much time.

Wizpig

When running (er, rolling) do you guys keep sliding the stylus from top to bottom (just like the first charge you make to roll) or do you just slide from bottom to top? (it keeps the rolling steady if i read correctly)

The game has a digital manual on the 3DS btw.
Full of info.

When running (er, rolling) do you guys keep sliding the stylus from top to bottom (just like the first charge you make to roll) or do you just slide from bottom to top? (it keeps the rolling steady if i read correctly)

Full of info.

The first day no, but after it's all I did.

Ok
ill leave my decision up to you guys,
should i get Rolling Western for $15 Australian?

I don't know. I saved the first three villages, played over three and a half hours and still think this a really cool game and worth its price if the fun keeps up. But I wouldn't downplay the negative reviews yet as they are mostly complaining about the later parts of the game that I haven't seen yet.

jrDev

Full of info.

Hmm never noticed the manual.

Anyways game getting pretty challenging and I love it! :)

mooooose

It's a pretty good game but it does lack some polish. The overworld is great because there is NO POP-IN and that is essential for a game like this where you have to micro manage such a large landscape. But, it has a very subpar framerate, especially compared to battle sections and is generally pretty ugly compared to the battle sections.

I don't know how long the prep period lasts, but sometimes, it goes on way too long and maybe that's just because I just started playing, but not being able to decide when I want to start or a bar that shows how much time I have?

Also the map is pretty poor and does not make enough mention out of the monsters coming towards the village.

Overall, a good game with some charm (some of the characters feel so bleh, but Dillon has some charm) but plenty of flaws. I'm right handed but if I was left handed, I would feel completely ripped off.

Also, I think this game might've started as a Zelda game. Dillon sounds A LOT like Link, and the Goron rolling around thing would definitely fit, and a couple of other things. Definitely glad it's its own IP.

Poyunch

What are the point of watchtowers? I understand that enemies occasionally attack them but it's so random that I see no real point in upgrading them when I can just put the money into equipping and building gun towers.

Although this is coming from someone that's only just completed the 2nd town.

jrDev

What are the point of watchtowers? I understand that enemies occasionally attack them but it's so random that I see no real point in upgrading them when I can just put the money into equipping and building gun towers.

To increase vision of where the monsters are coming from...good for slowing them down too since they will most likely attack the watchtower before going to village gate. They are only worth it based on the situation. You don't need them everywhere. Once you do day 1, you basically know the route the enemies will take in the next days, so you plan your towers accordingly...

Tyeforce

Have you noticed the big circles on the map? Those are the areas that you can see from watch towers, and you can see any Grocks on the map in those areas. If a watch tower is destroyed, however, you lose that area of view, and you can't see the Grocks coming in that area. This is probably why some people have complained about Scroggs disappearing when there are no Grocks around; there really are Grocks getting into their town but their watch tower is destroyed so they can't see it on the map. Learn to play people, seriously, lol. Oh, and in addition to a full digital manual in the Home Menu, there's also a very helpful guide in the Start menu.

Poyunch

To increase vision of where the monsters are coming from...good for slowing them down too since they will most likely attack the watchtower before going to village gate. They are only worth it based on the situation. You don't need them everywhere. Once you do day 1, you basically know the route the enemies will take in the next days, so you plan your towers accordingly...

Oh that makes sense why the map has a fog of war effect and why I sometimes enemies disappear on my map (I just assumed some enemies leave and then respawn again). I guess that will help me cutting down my times.

Codeblue

Think of the map being engulfed in a fog of war type mechanic. You can't actually see Grocks coming on the map unless he is in range of a tower who then relays that information to your map.

Edit: beaten.

Day 3 on stage 2 was tough. I had full armor on every gate, two gatling guns on the towers closest to the town, and two shotguns at the choke point near the middle of the map. After killing the long range grocks before they killed my towers I rushed back to the village and was pretty much cornered for the rest of the day. I got away with all my armor damages, 3 grocks stopped by the game, 13 by the towers, and I had to deal with 13 personally. That's really the first mission where I thought "Ok, I can't ignore the TD aspect of this game." I was totally rocking the battles though, hitting combos of up to 40 on the red grocks. I think my gloves are about to break though.

Great stuff so far.

Poyunch

Do Scuffles carry over between towns? If hadn't lost any Scrogs does donating increase the number? Basically is there any reason why I should be hoarding scuffles?

jtrov

Full of info.

I'm almost done with the 2nd Town (loving it so far), and I remember just figuring out the "charge" roll by accident. Now I usually start from the top of the touchscreen and work my way down.

Also, I have no idea how I unlock those Ancient looking doors. I tried unlocking one after figuring out the charge up move, but I barely lower the door.

With everything that came out this week (American Nightmare, Syndicate, MGS3DS, etc..), I've barely had time to sink more hours into it. Overall though, I'm still really impressed with the sound work, music, and presentation of the game. Also loving battle encounters, especially with the new upgrades.

Oh and Dillion is bad ass. Nintendo definitely better revisit him in some way or another.

If you do everything about 3 times and have a boner for Time Attack. Don't try to defend Pilotwings kid, it was too fucking short and anybody who played it can tell you that.

Honestly, both Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver probably should've been eShop releases. They're super short games and both are pretty tiny (128MB and 256MB respectively).

KevinCow

Banned
"Psst, hey ranger!"

I can't be the only one who read that in the RE4 merchant's voice. I wonder if it was an intentional reference.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm so essentially Dillon's Clint Eastwood eh? Is Russ supposed to be the stereotypical native american?

zroid

Banned
I'm at the point now where I'm quite sure I will get this game, just not for a while. Have a bit too much on my gaming plate at the moment and DRW isn't going anywhere.

dwu8991

Banned
This is probably my favorite 3DS game so far (single player) !!!

It's just got that arcade feel mix with RPG elements.

It's balanced almost perfectly once you already know what to do !

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I don't know how long the prep period lasts, but sometimes, it goes on way too long and maybe that's just because I just started playing, but not being able to decide when I want to start or a bar that shows how much time I have?
I believe (as in I expect it to do that, though I've not tried it) you can use the 'siesta' option when talking to the mayor to jump right to Grock time.

Also the map is pretty poor and does not make enough mention out of the monsters coming towards the village.
Not really getting your complaint here - what exactly is missing from the map? Grocks are very obvious on the map, their motion - apparent, if you spend 5 sec to follow them over the map. And you get an explicit warning when they get too close to the village gates.

Game is a lot of fun, took a some time to get the hang of it all but worth it. I can't seem to be able to five star the missions though.

Foffy

Banned
Game is a lot of fun, took a some time to get the hang of it all but worth it. I can't seem to be able to five star the missions though.

The levels require you to do good runs, most of which require more funds than what you get on the first playthrough of each area.

Going back to areas lets you use all of your current savings, not a cap.

Oh well, should have read this earlier about no real lefty option. Did not try it yet but I hope it's not as bad as you describe :(

BowieZ

Banned
This is almost better than Pushmo. It probably suffers from the opposite issue: you're left up to your own devices at the start of the game and are encouraged to fail, which is likely to put off some. Theres almost no hand-holding, unlike Pushmo's 2-hour-long series of incredibly incremental tutoring.

Fabrik

Banned
After finishing the second village, I don't like this game very much. It's way too repetitive and there's not real strategy since you can't place your towers anywhere you want. You just have to max out everything you can and rush out to the enemies that pass your defenses.
And the frame rate is wonky. Too expensive for what it is. I shouldn't have bought it.

DGRE

Banned
Also, I have no idea how I unlock those Ancient looking doors. I tried unlocking one after figuring out the charge up move, but I barely lower the door.

You need to do multiple spins that lower the door a bit more each time.

What's everyone's highest combo so far? Mine's 48.

About to start the fifth village and I'm still loving the game. Took a break and tried to five star the first village. I was 12 seconds off! Such a bummer. I'm sure I can do it if I try again.

The game isn't perfect. I don't understand the tower placement sometimes, BUT, there is so much to love about this game. Well worth the asking price, and the negative reviews are just plain crazy.

zroid

Banned
Oh well, should have read this earlier about no real lefty option. Did not try it yet but I hope it's not as bad as you describe :(

Though I haven't played it yet, as a lefty it doesn't sound like too big a deal to me, in general. Might be slightly awkward if you want to use the stylus, but apparently there's not much precision required. Others have suggested using your thumb is a perfectly viable option.

BowieZ

Banned
So what counts towards your "time"? Is it just total time spent in the actual field? Or does fighting Grocks count?

THis is becoming my favorite tower defense game I've played right up there with PJ Monsters. Still I feel early on there's very little actual towers and mostly defending :p

You need to do multiple spins that lower the door a bit more each time.

What's everyone's highest combo so far? Mine's 48.

About to start the fifth village and I'm still loving the game. Took a break and tried to five star the first village. I was 12 seconds off! Such a bummer. I'm sure I can do it if I try again.

The game isn't perfect. I don't understand the tower placement sometimes, BUT, there is so much to love about this game. Well worth the asking price, and the negative reviews are just plain crazy.
Highest combo would be 33 and my record time is 13:07 for the first village.
I also really like the Zelda references.

Wizpig

Did anyone beat it yet? We are all curious to see if there is a zelda connection in the staff credits?
It's the Tingle RPG team, they love Zelda.

Freshly-Picked_Tingle%27s_Rosy_Rupeeland_Coverart.png

Irozuki_Tingle_no_Koi_no_Balloon_Trip.jpg

Dammit at them for not bringing the second game to Europe.

Agreed with BowieZ about the game, but i also agree that it's a pity you can't place your own towers... or, scratch that: more importantly i feel even with placed towers you have very little money most of the time :D so you can't buy weapons for your towers.

This makes the game hard (= good thing) but also 70% action and 30% tower defense.

I guess if you go back to the first village with all your new money you can buy everything and make a super record, but in the actual game you can't do a lot.

AntMurda

It's the Tingle RPG team, they love Zelda.

Well yeah. Iwata said Nintendo and Vanpool were working together again. But the question is if there is any direct zelda staff on the credits. Some of the assets seem very Zelda ish. Even the voice samples originally featured Link's grunt.

Top Bottom