• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Euro Event Thread [Update: GAF Impressions Inside]

branny

Starwolf_UK said:
Kid Icarus - Being left handed this one would interest me.

Even though playing it without a stylus probably wasn't the most optimal way to experience that game, thanks for your post!

If anyone else is left-handed, please make sure to point it out in your impressions. The way games are being modified for the analog stick + touchscreen combination is very important information for lefties.

Especially lefties who felt screwed over by some DS games and Wii controls in general.

dvolovets

Nuclear Muffin said:
You can use the Circle Pad as a D-pad substitute The D-pad is of course usable as well.
Woah. Is it still limited by D-Pad controls, i.e., usable in just eight directions, or?...

nli10

Good to see lots of other impressions.

I'm worried I won't get my money worth out of SteelDiver. I know I'll play the periscope section (on an office chair as it's designed for - 3D + rotate) but while excruciatingly pretty I didn't enjoy the side on steady hand game sections that much.

This weekend my mom revealed that she got an invite to the 3DS thing too! If they do one closer I may force her to go, as she'd certainly be the only 50+ female there and likely to get special treatment (and maybe freebies!).

krumble

Regarding your Monkey Ball on rails quote...
I thought exactly the second time I picked it up and spent more time with it...
First I selected world 1 and went through all the stages with little effort, and thought god this sucks...
So selected world 7 instead as it was unlocked on the machine I had...
Lots of open areas you can fall off, and really looked like it was going to be more fun as you progress (much like the original), but didn't get a chance to go too deep on the harder world - the fact that the challenge was back was enough to satiisfy my curiosity and I wanted to try the other stuff out

Thanks for the DS details, I guess the blur is just from stretching to fit the screen. Any idea if you can switch it to a smaller 1:1 pixel view?

dvolovets said:
Woah. Is it still limited by D-Pad controls, i.e., usable in just eight directions, or?...

No chance of it being anything more than that with straight emulation. 8 directions is nice enough :)

Rekubot

Nuclear Muffin said:
Super Street Fighter 4: It's SSF4. What is odd is that the game seems to only run at 30FPS in both 2D and 3D, which is odd since the direct feed video of the game was running at 60FPS so I'm wondering if this is just because it's an old build.
Yeah I noticed this too, and was going to mention it in my impressions but I remembered the direct feed video and figured I was mistaken. In that case, Ocarina of Time 3D is also definitely a 30fps game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I read on previous page DS games don't look as good on 3DS than on DS Lite, could you please elaborate? Is it only because of the black borders on top screen?

marc^o^ said:
I read on previous page DS games don't look as good on 3DS than on DS Lite, could you please elaborate? Is it only because of the black borders on top screen?

No it's because DS games look blurry on a 3DS.

Deku said:
you mean they put texture filtering on it or do you mean the frame is stretched ?

There is no texture filtering. The DS screens are upscaled and a blur filter is applied to the whole screen (think PS1/PS2 on PS3 with the blur filter on)

I haven't seen it myself, but are you sure a blur filter would be on? Thinking as a programmer, when you scale an image up by exact multiples (ie, 2x or 3x), it stays just as sharp as if it weren't scaled. But when you have to scale by fractions, the resulting image looks blurry. Remember, this isn't Photoshop doing the scaling, but simple 3D hardware using basic math for scaling. The original DS screen resolution (for both screens) was 256x192. To reach the new resolution of 320x240 for each screen, the image has to be scaled to 1.25 times the original size, which is definitely going to look a bit blurrier than the original.

syoaran

Thanks for the impressions guys. Still Day1 for me, but you've convinced me just to pick up the titles I already very much wanted - rather than explore into content I wouldnt normally pick up. So that means, Pilotwings Day1, Steel Driver whenever it comes and and so on.

It's a little sad at the moment that I feel that the 3DS has very little coming out in English that I feel are must have purchases between now and E3, but with Okamiden/Pokemon coming out on the eve of the 3DS's launch - I guess I've got a lot to play anyway ~

LCfiner

Dreamwriter said:
I'd bet he was mixing that up with DOA, because nobody else has ever suggested such a thing.

possibly. but then I would hope it's now 60 fps as per the video linked to above.

Nuclear Muffin said:
There is no texture filtering. The DS screens are upscaled and a blur filter is applied to the whole screen (think PS1/PS2 on PS3 with the blur filter on)
NOT ACTUAL 3DS IMAGE, but here is an image I mocked up using DS screenshots stretched to fit a 3DS screen template.

EDIT: As opposed to this if they were left at the original pixel size, looking smaller than on any DS to date.

dvolovets

JoshuaJSlone said:
NOT ACTUAL 3DS IMAGE, but here is an image I mocked up using DS screenshots stretched to fit a 3DS screen template.

EDIT: As opposed to this if they were left at the original pixel size, looking smaller than on any DS to date.
So would this be any worse than what games look like on the DSi XL? I realize that the resolution is the same on the XL vs. any other DS, but am I correct in assuming that a resolution stretch wouldn't look much worse than simply increasing the screen size?

Edit - I didn't realize I double posted, my apologies...

If I read you correctly, what you're getting at is whether it's visually worse to have something at the same real-world size but being stretched a bit unevenly in resolution, or having it be the same resolution but look blockier due to increased physical size. Well, I think the one with the uneven resolution is definitely going to seem more off--but tolerances vary.

20110205increase25.png

dvolovets

JoshuaJSlone said:
If I read you correctly, what you're getting at is whether it's visually worse to have something at the same real-world size but being stretched a bit unevenly in resolution, or having it be the same resolution but look blockier due to increased physical size. Well, I think the one with the uneven resolution is definitely going to seem more off--but tolerances vary.

20110205increase25.png
Yup, thanks for the comparison pic. Definitely prefer the latter one, looks like I'll be keeping my DSi XL...

Manmedaz said:
It is playable. Left shoulder button = strafe, right = aiming. I didn't try both at the same time though, and I think that might be how you can move while aiming. I though about it too late, when I was at home, so if someone can try it... :D

Otherwise, relating to your question, I don't think it is possible, and if it is, you won't be able to have an answer until the game is out (or pics show it). It is impossible to go in the menu of most games, I think the only game that goes to the home menu when you click the home button is Steel Diver, and in most of the games start and select just do nothing (this is the case in RE: M if I recall well).

Thanks for the info! This video shows Krauser using the better aiming camera, but it's probably just for his bow and arrow. So if anyone sees or plays as Krauser with his bow and arrow in a first person view things will be looking good!

As of right now Dead or Alive, Ocarina of Time and Mercenaries are pretty much locked in purchases. I just want to hear more impressions regarding the enemy numbers for Mercenaries....does the lack of enemies hurt the enjoyment?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Thanks for all those impressions guys. So far, SSFIV, Steel Diver, Kid Icarus and maybe Pilotwings are the games I'm interested in, going by your hands-on impressions. Well, that and Mario Kart 3DS, because come on, it's Mario Kart.

JoshuaJSlone said:

That mockup is pretty close to how it looks on the actual device. I knew that it wouldn't scale perfectly due to the odd resolution.

Still, I wouldn't say it's terrible but yeah. The 3DS is not the best way to play original DS games.

Mideon

I Played Zelda,Pilotwings,Kid Icarus,Pro Evo,Resident Evil,Rabbids,Street Fighter,Lego Star Wars,Nintendogs,Monkey Ball and AR games.

The best were Pilotwings because it's classic Pilotwings but the 3D gives you that depth that feels amazing when your flying through rings and also gives the objects a nice look at distance like you can tell how far away they are and how much you need to adjust to make it. Just feels so right.

Street Fighter was also one if the best games. Only played the new view mode but it felt perfect as the controls were still the same, had no trouble at all doing the moves and while I was playing it didn't break the 3D affect moving the system slightly while pulling off moves. Whoever reported that must have been getting a little too excited.

Pro Evo was excellent the 3D adds a nice depth to the pitch and looks and feels amazing when crossing the ball etc. Felt like classic Pro Evo and the slide pad worked perfectly.

Kid Icarus was very cool and you can see that shooting games like this are going to suit the system so well with objects flying everywhere. Didn't have a stylus like everyone else said but it played fine and looked great. Sorry I'm not a leftie so can't comment in that!

I played all the games with the 3D slider at halfway as on full it was too much fort poor eyes! Although my gf played all of them with it in full so i think as soon as you get one you will quickly find what works for you.

I switched every game I played to 3D and 2D and didn't notice any difference apart from the obvious lack of 3D in 2D mode.

Overall I am more than happy about my pre order as I was a little worried about the various negative comments around and what I thought was a lack of great games at launch.

Now I have played most if the games I would say the launch line up is more than good enough as there are actually good games compared to the usual 1 decent game at launch day scenario.

My only regret is not playing Steel Diver plus I wanted to try Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell so will have to wait for the reviews of those.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nuclear Muffin said:
That mockup is pretty close to how it looks on the actual device. I knew that it wouldn't scale perfectly due to the odd resolution.

Still, I wouldn't say it's terrible but yeah. The 3DS is not the best way to play original DS games.
Severely disappointed as I convinced myself to buy it partly because of my DS games library.

Oxx

I'll probably end up keeping my old DS anyway. I can't see Game or whoever still running trade-in deals at the time when I finally get around to buying a 3DS.

At least that will allow me to trade Pokemen between myself.

Gravijah

Nuclear Muffin said:

Ah fuck me. :/ Was hoping to retire my DS.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So it seems DSi (XL) owners have a good reason not to sell their old handhelds, after all.

Mideon

king zell said:
thanks Mideon, what about the other games
The other games were just as everyone else has described really.

I would say Lego Star Wars had the worst 3D effect as it didn't look as pronounced as the other games.

Resident Evil looked fantastic but just the mercenaries mode has no appeal for me was a bit boring.

Zelda looked fantastic in 3D can't wait to play it all again. Really easy to select stuff from the bottom screen and as I said before when i used the gyro for the catapult it broke the 3D effect but when my gf did it she moved with the device so it was fine for her. Maybe that's because I'm used to my iPhone and twisting the device.

Nintendogs was cute but holds no appeal for me.

Mii Maker worked well when my gf tried it.

AR games were cool especially the one that produces targets and you have to look into the middle of the table to get one. Face raiders was fun and a laugh because your face pulls silly little faces while your shooting it!

Rabbids was a standard 2D platformer. Nothing special but the 3D was nice for a 2D game as was said before a Mario,Kirby or DK game is going to look fantastic in 3D.

System build quality was very good. Slide pad felt very nice. Top screen looks extra sharp in 3D just looks so crisp.

Mideon

Tricky I Shadow said:
Nuclear Muffin - Can you give more impressions regarding the enemy numbers for Mercenaries....did the lack of enemies hurt your enjoyment?
I had about 5 guys coming at me at once on Mercenaries the level I was playing was really really easy so an early one with no challenge. Will be interesting to check out the online mode for it and playing with other people it does have an online mode doesn't it??

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nuclear Muffin said:
Hardware/3D: The 3D effect works! The viewing angle is smaller than I was expecting though, tilt it left or right just a few degrees and you start seeing crosstalk and the effect is lost. Funnily enough though, you can tilt it up and down pretty much as much as you like and the 3D effect is unaffected!
Can someone else who played confirm that tilting up and down doesn't make 3D effect go?

Nessus

Nuclear Muffin said:

So weird that they don't have an option to do a 1:1 pixel ratio with letterbox.

The GBA SP could do that with original Game Boy games.

Nuclear Muffin said:

A pity to hear, but I think I will play Pokemon Black & White on the 3ds regardless since I don't have a DSI and I want to experience the enhanced functions on the game.

Wichu

Hmm... Sad to hear about the lacklustre DS game compatibility. I'm probably going to get a DSi XL to replace my dying Lite (the right hinge has broken completely; I practically have to hold the top screen in place to stop it falling off). Is it worth waiting for the 3DS release to do so (i.e. how likely is it that the price of a used XL will fall significantly)?

Top Bottom