• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Euro Event Thread [Update: GAF Impressions Inside]

branny

Caesar III said:
It seems like there are soo soo different lefties.

Yeah, this is totally the case. I was so inspired by what you wrote that I went and gave everything another try but it was just as annoying as I remember. Oh well... Realistically, it's more of a tiny hassle for me than anything serious, unlike the stylus problem which is actually bad enough to cause concern.

I still want Kid Icarus, though. :(

otmane said:
- aqua blue is UGLY
beje said:
- Aqua Blue color is cool.

I've been obsessing over everything in the colors thread for days now. Since there's no white, I'm probably going blue, but the teal (apparent from most low-light media) and two-tone (the black face panel) bother me. I know what I quoted is ultimately personal preference, but it doesn't help that it seems difficult to consistently capture what these devices look like in person.

beje said:
- Circle Pad and D Pad are confortable. Small hands guy here.
- SSF4 plays good with the D-Pad. Didn't feel the need to put my thumb back at the circle pad at all

This is really good to hear.

By the way, your feedback in general was rather positive, beje. Hopefully it'll be the same experience for other people who are looking forward to the 3DS. There's nothing worse than eagerly anticipating something only to be let down by factors beyond your control (like the 3D effect not working properly, etc.).

beje

Banned
branny said:
By the way, your feedback in general was rather positive, beje. Hopefully it'll be the same experience for other people who are looking forward to the 3DS. There's nothing worse than eagerly anticipating something only to be let down by factors beyond your control (like the 3D effect not working properly, etc.).

Well, taking into account that 3D stuff and D-Pad/Circle Pad comfyness depends on every person, I walked out completely satisfied with the experience. Exactly what I was expecting, nothing more and nothing less.

Well, yeah, the extra customization stuff in Mii Maker was really cool and I didn't expect them to add stuff like beards (as I said, no more handlebars + chin goatee). And reading some feedback I was really afraid that games were choppy and with horrible aliasing or anything. And I'm the first one that gets annoyed as soon as FPS drops start kicking it, but it just didn't happen in any game. Whatever framerate they were playing at, it was completely locked for likely 99% of the time.

beje

Banned
Final Euro lineup revealed by Nintendo UK:

Pilotwings Resort
Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
The Sims 3
PES 2011 3D - Pro Evolution Soccer
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Asphalt 3D
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D
Rayman 3D

No Dead or Alive :'(

Source: vandal.net (spanish)

13 games for a console launch. This is the best we've ever seen, right?

beje said:

Or Steel Diver. It better not be launch anywhere else otherwise I'll have to scream "yeah, NoE great start to a region locked system. Fills we absolutely zero confidence that I won't be waiting months for my favourite games to come over". Then again exact same thing of fragmented line-ups happened with the Wii launch and continued into its life...

beje said:
Pilotwings Resort

Definite buys for me (depending on the state of my finances come March!), with these two being possible buys depending on price and reviews:

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
beje said:

Pilotwings Resort
The Sims 3
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Asphalt 3D
Rayman 3D

No Steel Diver either. Pretty standard launch line-up.

Starwolf_UK said:
Or Steel Diver. It better not be launch anywhere else otherwise I'll have to scream "yeah, NoE great start to a region locked system. Fills we absolutely zero confidence that I won't be waiting months for my favourite games to come over". Then again exact same thing of fragmented line-ups happened with the Wii launch and continued into its life...

Steel Diver isn't launch in Japan either - it follows around a month after the 3DS hits there.

beje said:

Pilotwings Resort
The Sims 3
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Asphalt 3D
Rayman 3D

Mine. That along with Pokemon White will make for an enjoyable launch, will have enough to do untill RE/Zelda/Paper Mario/Metal Gear come out.

Just hope the 3d effect doesn't give me an headache/eyestrain, but I won't know that untill I try it out. I have no problems with 3d movies, it's just that glasses always hurt my nose for some reason.

Oh yeah I wonder how Dead or Alive will be hit by not being launch. It probably wasn't the best idea to have 2 fighting games at launch (canibalise sales and all that) but I could see people buying Street Fighter and being "I don't need another one". Then again for people who already have Street Fighter on console and so didn't want to double dip on it its a bit annoying having to wait for the fighting game they wanted to buy.

Cosmonaut X said:
Steel Diver isn't launch in Japan either - it follows around a month after the 3DS hits there.
Ah I see. So that leaves America The only thing I can think would happen is they get Steel Diver but have to wait for Pilotwings (it could happen, as on the Gametrailers TV segment Reggie talked about Steel Diver and I think he was the one to bring it up). Plus, this is basically what happened with Excite Truck and Wii Play (well at least here in the UK, can't remember Japanese Excite Truck date but I feel it wan Jan. 2007). I don't understand the ratioale either but I guess the subsidaries have some control over release schedules and its just them going with what they think is best.

Yagharek

Some people on other forums I visit are claiming that the 3D effect is hard on the eyes. In addition, they claim that you need to view the screen by relaxing your eyes as you would with a 'magic eye' image.

Any truth to these claims?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
RandomVince said:
Some people on other forums I visit are claiming that the 3D effect is hard on the eyes. In addition, they claim that you need to view the screen by relaxing your eyes as you would with a 'magic eye' image.

That sounds like somebody is is lying. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Is this "other forum" GameFAQs?

Yagharek

No, its not gamefaqs, just a small local forum. There are two people making the claim, based on what people they know have told them. Just interested in whether or not others have reported similar difficulties in viewing 3ds.

Starwolf_UK said:
Ah I see. So that leaves America The only thing I can think would happen is they get Steel Diver but have to wait for Pilotwings (it could happen, as on the Gametrailers TV segment Reggie talked about Steel Diver and I think he was the one to bring it up). Plus, this is basically what happened with Excite Truck and Wii Play (well at least here in the UK, can't remember Japanese Excite Truck date but I feel it wan Jan. 2007). I don't understand the ratioale either but I guess the subsidaries have some control over release schedules and its just them going with what they think is best.

Well, the comments from Iwata about having games "in the can" and held back to provide a more steady stream of titles are likely to apply across the pond as well. Steel Diver is obviously done and could have made launch in all territories, but it's being held back to provide another first-party title to follow up timeously after PilotWings/Nintendogs, with Kid Icarus, Ocarina of Time 3D and Starfox 64 3D following on afterwards (again, I'd imagine all but KI are basically done and ready to be slotted into the release calendar).

beje

Banned
RandomVince said:

Not any. In Magic Eye, you had to relax and cross your eyes because the image was printed on a 2D sheet. In 3DS (and any other stereoscopic 3D like shutter glasses or blue-red cardboard glasses) each eye receives its own image directly, just the same as real world. Try to do this: look around you and alternatively open and close your eyes and check how each eye receives a different image. When you look at the 3DS it's exactly the same, if you close one eye you don't see the image doubled because the other eye is only seeing half of the image thanks to the paralax barrier.

based on what people they know have told them

Baseless FUD, esentially.

beje said:

Pilotwings Resort
The Sims 3
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Asphalt 3D
Rayman 3D

DS had about the same amount, but the games on offer here are much better generally speaking. DS only had 2 good games at launch (Super Mario 64 DS and Wario Ware Touched), while the rest were junk.

I'll bet that the US will be getting the same games on launch day as well.

Pilotwings, Nintendogs and SSF3DS it is for me! :D

[Nintex]

I'm interested in Shadow Wars but there doesn't seem to be any gameplay of the title on the web. I've played Ridge Racer and that was ok I guess.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
PES
Ridge Racer
SFIV

Which one of those has online multiplayer?

Pilotwings' mine for sure, so I just need to chose one or two games tops as my other title.
If I knew Ridge Racer gfx wasn't shitty (at leasf psp gfx with good effects and 60fps) and the gameplay more Type4/RR5 than RR6&7 I'd go definitely for that one. PES I love, but first I want games that also show off the 3D and since I play a lot of custom (kits, chants..) PES on PC I don't wanna end up with a crappy barebone game and I don't have a way to know that without trying it first. Damn.
At this point SSFIV seems a sure bet, but I know I'll be the only one of my IRL friends to have a 3DS at launch, let alone that game, so it needs online for me to consider it.

otmane

beje said:

Pilotwings Resort
The Sims 3
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Asphalt 3D
Rayman 3D

NO Game I'm interested in :( I'll probably end up buying Pilotwings if it has decent reviews just to have one 3DS game at launch...

beje said:
Cool, also the game recognises the Home key so that means DS games run on some kind of sandbox/virtualisation/emulator without direct access to the hardware.

My guess is that it probably has the original DS CPU & GPU inside and runs under virtualisation like PS2 games do on PS3)

Dash Kappei said:
PES
Ridge Racer
SFIV

Which one of those has online multiplayer?

Pilotwings' mine for sure, so I just need to chose one or two games tops as my other title.
If I knew Ridge Racer gfx wasn't shitty (at leasf psp gfx with good effects and 60fps) and the gameplay more Type4/RR5 than RR6&7 I'd go definitely for that one. PES I love, but first I want games that also show off the 3D and since I play a lot of custom (kits, chants..) PES on PC I don't wanna end up with a crappy barebone game and I don't have a way to know that without trying it first. Damn.
At this point SSFIV seems a sure bet, but I know I'll be the only one of my IRL friends to have a 3DS at launch, let alone that game, so it needs online for me to consider it.

SFIV has online play.

WillyFive

otmane said:
NO Game I'm interested in :( I'll probably end up buying Pilotwings if it has decent reviews just to have one 3DS game at launch...

I don't get it. Why is it necessary to buy it at launch? If there are no games that interest you, you would just be buying a DSi with a better OS and 3D cameras.

There are games that I really want to play at launch, but even that's not enough to make me get it at launch (for a different reason, it's expensive).

[Nintex]

Nintendo Benelux just mailed this:

• Pilotwings Resort
• Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
• Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends
• Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends
• Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
• The Sims 3
• Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
• LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
• Ridge Racer 3D
• Super Monkey Ball 3D
• Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
• Asphalt 3D
• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
• Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D
• Rayman 3D
• Rabbids 3D
• Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs

Different line-up compared to UK(?).

[Nintex] said:

• Pilotwings Resort
• The Sims 3
• Ridge Racer 3D
• Super Monkey Ball 3D
• Asphalt 3D
• Rayman 3D
• Rabbids 3D

Just those two (and both from Ubisoft oddly enough...)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh yeah, the other thing I wanted to point out about the size - I actually like the thickness of the 3DS. It feels reliably chunky and nice to hold in one hand (which is what I was doing while trying to play Kid Icarus cackhandedly). It's actually kind of bugged me when holding the original DSes, but the 3DS feels just right for me. I have above average sized hands, for reference.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sammy Samusu said:
I can't tell the difference between 30/60fps, and thanks God for that.
Ignorance is bliss.

Some people play games like they are game developers, if the game doesn't suffer from slowdowns, then move on with your life and just enjoy the damn game.
LOOOOOL, wtf.
It's because I concentrate on GAMEPLAY that I care a lot about 60fps.
You wanna make it like 60fps lovers = graphic whores when that's not the case at all, framerate is my number 1 wanted bulletpoint as far as graphics go; give me a less flashy game at 60fps over a visually better 30fps game any time. In fact it's the opposite, tech-heads were forced to remove 60fps gen by gen because impressive screenshots sold better than seing a game in motion, because you could never have Killzone 2 at 60fps on PS3 otherwise you could be sure the devs would, but, you know, grafixxzz!!11
You already said that you can't notice yourself, so I'll tell you this: You know when a game feels like it has such perfect and tight controls that really makes you enjoy it a lot more? 60fps.
You know when playing that fps where you can aim the shit out of it versus fighting with the lagginess of dual analog in that other game? 60fps.
You know when playing that racing game, which feels so real, so good, so responsive to your inputs? 60fps.
You know that fighting game where it feels like as soon as you think about that counter, you thought it's too late I'm fucked and instead holy shit your character's already executing it? 60fps.
You know that soccer game...

beje said:
Cool, also the game recognises the Home key so that means DS games run on some kind of sandbox/virtualisation/emulator without direct access to the hardware.

As pointed out elsewhere, that makes sense - doing otherwise leaves a door open for someone to gain access to the hardware through BC.

beje

Banned
Sadist said:
Compared to the original DS, this line-up is pretty solid.

Pretty much. I don't understand why people whine so much when the only half-decent games you had for the DS at launch were:
- SM64DS: remake of an old title
- Another Code: short and zero replay value
- Wario Ware Touched: fun, but very little substance

Everything else was shovelware, more ports or just forgettable.

gamingeek

[Nintex] said:

• Pilotwings Resort
• The Sims 3
• Ridge Racer 3D
• Super Monkey Ball 3D
• Asphalt 3D
• Rayman 3D
• Rabbids 3D

It's a shame that Splinter Cell and Rayman are ports, I would have been interested in original versions. That's a solid lineup, but from a personal point of view I'm only inclined to get Nintendogs, but only if they have added depth to the game.

Celine

beje said:
That's because it was a glorified tech demo with a 40€ price tag.
And not even a good tech demo.
It had a charming and quirky presentation though.

beje said:
Pretty much. I don't understand why people whine so much when the only half-decent games you had for the DS at launch were:

I don't think AC was there at launch, near it .
Another good game near launch was Yoshi Touch 'n Go IMO:

Sadist

beje said:

Another Code a launch title? Nah it released later on.

Just for funzies: this was the original DS launch back in 2005 here in Europe.

* Asphalt Urban GT (Ubisoft)
* Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
* Ping Pals (THQ)
* Pokémon Dash (Nintendo)
* Polarium (Nintendo)
* Project Rub (aka Feel the Magic: XY/XX) (Sega)
* Rayman DS (Ubisoft)
* Robots (VU Games)
* Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
* Sprung (Ubisoft)
* Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
* Tiger Woods PGA Tour (Electronic Arts)
* The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
* WarioWare: Touched! (Nintendo)
* Zoo Keeper (Ignition)

Really, the 3DS has a superior launch.

Was'nt Another Code until after launch? I thikn it was 4 months in Japan and 2 in Europe. Trace Memory certainly was as that was alter than Another Code difference I recall:
(it changed some generic text so while the EU verison would be "the bookshelf has books on it" the American one would say what the books were...I think one of them was a dig at the Zelda timeline :lol )

gerg said:
The lack of love for Feel the Magic: XY/XX is truly depressing.
This was either the first DS game I got or the first European one anyway. I got my £5 out of it...reminded me of the old days of quirky SEGA games. Good presentation but apart from that its just forgettable, I vaugely remember a few annoying moments but the whole thing passed by. Its not something I associate with DS launch and given I associate Pokemon Dash with it...yeah.(it sooo wasn't worth the 97p I paid).

Celine said:
Another good game near launch was Yoshi Touch 'n Go IMO:
This was only a matter of time it seems you can't mention the DS launch without it...
Was it good value? I got the impression the majority dismissed it due to being one concept which no way on earth was worth £30 or 40€ (so appeared to be bad value, good game with bad value harder to justify than good game with good value) . That said, it seems to have retained its value quite nicely though.

Then again I guess the hate is similar to a number of people seem to hating on Pilotwings for re-re-re-using Wahu Island (Wii tech demo>Wii Fit>Wii Sports Resort>Pilotwings Resort) and having flying in it and so not beiung worth £30 or 40€...

m.i.s.

Banned
Bossman said:
those black borders are huge.

They're not that bad (just as well since I sold my DSi to fund purchase of this thing).

That blue 3DS in the Aus youtube vid looks well slick (I'm impressed!!). So glad I didn't cancel my earlier pre-order for the blue one (I was thinking of going for the black but nah blue it is!)

How does the plastic feel? Is it soft like the DSi or does it dig into your palm like DS Lite? Anyone?

gamingeek

Sadist said:
Another Code a launch title? Nah it released later on.

Just for funzies: this was the original DS launch back in 2005 here in Europe.

* Asphalt Urban GT (Ubisoft)
* Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
* Ping Pals (THQ)
* Pokémon Dash (Nintendo)
* Polarium (Nintendo)
* Project Rub (aka Feel the Magic: XY/XX) (Sega)
* Rayman DS (Ubisoft)
* Robots (VU Games)
* Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
* Sprung (Ubisoft)
* Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
* Tiger Woods PGA Tour (Electronic Arts)
* The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
* WarioWare: Touched! (Nintendo)
* Zoo Keeper (Ignition)

Really, the 3DS has a superior launch.

Yikes, that is terrible. IIRC it wasn't till Advance wars and Mario Kart came out that people started digging the system.

gamingeek said:
Yikes, that is terrible. IIRC it wasn't till Advance wars and Mario Kart came out that people started digging the system.

I bought my DS Phat with Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Zoo Keeper, not long before MKDS came out. I was addicted to Zoo Keeper for ages, but it wouldn't have kept me hooked from launch.

So Ridge Racer is a launch game? Hmm, I have SSFIV and DoA preordered. Looks like I'll have to give priority to RR over DoA if it's now a launch game. That's all I was hoping for anyway, a new system launch without RR just doesn't feel right!

Totalriot

gamingeek said:

As far as I remember, the DS hype started with Nintendogs and Brain Age. Mario Kart came out later.

gamingeek said:

Good point, I tried to make myself with with Mario 64 port before Advance Wars, Mario Kart and Kirby Canvas Curse convinced me that it was the best portable experience in a long run.

Top Bottom