• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Flash Cart Now Shipping: Nintendo's nightmare coming true

Tain

I agree that neither of us know, but I think that it is monumentally optimistic to think that most flash cart owners went on to buy more official games than they would have without owning a flash cart.

You understand I'm not arguing for piracy right? I'm saying the fear of piracy won't cause me to say "we shouldn't have this thing that helps protect my consumer rights". Flash carts have uses other than piracy and I'm not going to deny people that for fear of piracy.

"I'm not advocating piracy, but I really don't personally care whether people pirate as long as I get mine"

Am I warm?

Tripon

I agree that neither of us know, but I think that it is monumentally optimistic to think that most flash cart owners went on to buy more official games after getting the flash cart than less.

This particular flash cart costs more than $80. No way in hell will most people just use to back up legitimate copies of their games.

RM8

There are examples on both ends of the spectrum, but how can you be certain that was caused by piracy and not indifference to the software itself?
Because Japan didn't see this massive decrease of software sales, and it's coincidentally a region that doesn't struggle with piracy, maybe? It's weird that only people who engage in piracy felt indifference to the software, despite buying it previously.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You want to know why there are so few third party games on the 3DS right now? The ones you can find develop them because they believe Nintendo is going to do whatever to stop it. If the carts get widespread, enjoy no more games.

This makes no sense.

I like how you keep talking about the DS yet conveniently forget about the psp you know the handheld whose software sales suffered greatly because of rampart piracy inspite of it's hardware install base.

Riiight.....

PSP had bigger problems in the West.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
"I'm not advocating piracy, but I really don't personally care whether people pirate as long as I get mine"

Am I warm?

No one here likes pirates, or is in favor of piracy. (i hope)
But there are some here who want to be able to easily back up our purchases.

LOL There's actually someone trying to argue that piracy didn't hurt ?

I'm sure it hurts. It's just not the death knell of any given system.

Tain

Tripon said:
This particular flash cart costs more than $80. No way in hell will most people just use to back up legitimate copies of their games.

Honestly, my position is that I want this thing to exist. I could actually see myself using a cart like this to play Japan-only games on my US XL.

But I think it's safe to say that most owners would stop buying games, and I recognize that piracy tends to have some kind of negative effect on sales (even if minuscule, which I think would be the case with a $80 flash cart).

Zornica

Banned
My rights trump them protecting their ecosystem. The DS was immensely successful in spite of piracy, so was the PS2, the Wii, and the 360, all of which were relatively easy to pirate on, pretty early into their lives in some cases.

yeah, they did fine, the software did not.
As soon as softmods on wii and flash cards hit europe, publishers started dieing left and right, something from which europe hasn't recovered since. most publishers just stoped publishing wii and ds software altogether. Rising star is a good example for that. they published a lot of stuff early on but quickly lost their steam because they couldn't make their investment back anymore.
more and more games not getting released just aggregated the problem:
less games -> more need to pirate(or import... as if) -> even less games

Good, because I'll gladly post my library of 3DS games that continues to grow.

Where do these assumptions come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_DS_video_games

Those do not look like sales for a system that was hurt by piracy.
doesn't show anything relevant. it just shows games that sell regardless, it doesn't show the games most effected by piracy.

do you know the average price of a ds game in europe?
I tell you: It's 20€ and they still didn't sell - why? because even at that price, no one bought them if its just way more convinient to pirate them.

It means that my consumer rights being enabled isn't going to ruin the ecosystem, so my rights win out.

And because those casuals wouldn't have bought most, if any, of those games anyways. that's why they're casuals!

Them downloading a game is not a lost sale.

your right as a consumer is to buy the product or don't. If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

Petrie

Banned
your right as a consumer is to buy the product or don't. If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

If that's all you believe a consumers rights are, then I feel sorry for you.

Please tell me, how a flash cart which have no other purpose than piracy defends your consumer rights ?

But that's the issue: there are other purposes. To deny that is silly.

Were you guys calling for a ban on blank VHS tapes back in the day too?

remist

If you don't like Nintendo's policies, don't give them money, period.

Or if given the option we can buy a flashcart that compensates for the shortcomings of the 3DS such as region lock and no account system and you and Nintendo can get over it. As a consumer I'm not concerned about a few lost sales or a small cut in a corporate bottom line, flashcarts didn't kill the DS ecosystem and it's not going to kill the 3DS.

Am I warm?
Yes. What is wrong with this. It's not my concern what other people use this technology for. I understand why Nintendo cares, but I don't understand why you care besides a vague unsubstantiated fear that companies will stop making games for the 3DS.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

He bought a product from Nintendo, and he's bought a product from a flash cart maker.
Now he can do what he wills with them.
There's nothing difficult about this.

Save your scorn for someone who is actually pirating games and hurting devs.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Please tell me, how a flash cart which have no other purpose than piracy defends your consumer rights ?

It allows you to stick it to the man.

It has nothing to do with consumer rights no way you can make that argument. Just because a company does something you don't like doesn't allow you to do something blatantly illegal. There are proper channels for complaining about consumer rights if those don't help you then it really isn't a consumer right is it.

Sitrus

He bought a product from Nintendo, and he's bought a product from a flash cart maker.

What about hrmm. Buying the game from the developer? This may certainly be the feature we want to use it for, but over 80% is also going to use it to pirate games not caring about the few people who may want it as a backup.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What about hrmm. Buying the game from the developer? This may certainly be the feature we want to use it for, but over 80% is also going to use it to pirate games not caring about the few people who may want it as a backup.

What are you talking about?

RM8

Or if given the option we can buy a flashcart that compensates for the shortcomings of the 3DS such as region lock and no account system and you and Nintendo can get over it. As a consumer I'm not concerned about a few lost sales or a small cut in a corporate bottom line, flashcarts didn't kill the DS ecosystem and it's not going to kill the 3DS.
First of all, stop it with the region lock. DS wasn't region locked and it got hit by piracy way harder than 3DS will ever be hit. Second, it has been mentioned, developers and publishers most definitely noticed the absurd decrease in sales (except in Japan, where piracy is not an issue) despite more and more hardware being sold.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
First of all, stop it with the region lock. DS wasn't region locked and it got hit by piracy way harder than 3DS will ever be hit. Second, it has been mentioned, developers and publishers most definitely noticed the absurd decrease in sales (except in Japan, where piracy is not an issue) despite more and more hardware being sold.

Hmm? Just because it wasn't a shortcoming in the DS, doesn't mean it is a shortcoming in the DSi and 3DS.

I guess I'd like a flash device that would let you bypass region locks and would only play ROMs on the one system that they were dumped on.

It wouldn't be perfect as people could still resell the games to pirate and so on but at the very least, it would mitigate piracy from online downloads.

I'm not going to downplay DS piracy but I liked all these translation patches and stuff like the lone wolf homebrew. Plus, emulators.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I guess I'd like a flash device that would let you bypass region locks and would only play ROMs on the one system that they were dumped on.

It wouldn't be perfect as people could still resell the games to pirate and so on but at the very least, it would mitigate piracy from online downloads.

I'm not going to downplay DS piracy but I liked all these translation patches and stuff like the lone wolf homebrew. Plus, emulators.

That's why PSP was like my dream device.
I loved dumping my own UMDs on a PSP 1000 system and then playing them on the PSP Go.

How I wish the there was an cheap way to dump your own games for DS and 3DS.

Zornica

Banned

his "I don't care" attitude is actually more hurting. even if he doesn't support piracy himself, he supports the means to do so, which in my eyes doesn't make him ANY better than actual pirates.

and also... I guess you two are from america and have no idea how damaging flashcards can really be, so please stop pretending the whole world works like your neighbourhood.

as some from europe who has experienced those effects first hand I can just shake my hand at that egoistical stance you are taking.
"fuck the rest, at least I get my way"

RM8

I hope the upcoming Miiverse update makes it even harder for these things to work. And hoping for obligatory updates with upcoming games.

remist

I wasn't linking DS piracy to region lock, I'm just pointing out the legitimate ways a flashcart might improve the product for a consumer. If I feel like there is value in 3DS flashcart I'm going to buy it and use it while still supporting devs. There is no reason why I should feel guilty just because other people are using it for piracy. Flashcarts exist and they are legal, with legitimate uses.
his "I don't care" attitude is actually more hurting. even if he doesn't support piracy himself, he supports the means to do so, which in my eyes doesn't make him ANY better than actual pirates.
Laughably ridiculous. Doesn't even warrant a response.

Guamu

So they continued to buy the games they really wanted, and stopped buying ones they likely weren't going to buy anyways? Either they're pirating everything, or they are pirating things they never would have bought. If they're still buying games, piracy isn't doing what you think it is.

This is anecdotal of course, but if his friends were like mine, a few buyed the new pokemon games because at first the flashcarts didn't work with them... as soon as those roms were patched the the rest of them pirated the games.

Also in Mexico

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You need a 3DS on firmware 4.5 or less, a DS flashcart, and the upcoming exploit update.

Hmm, you have my attention now too.
This is the only thing I want.

and also... I guess you two are from america and have no idea how damaging flashcards can really be, so please stop pretending the whole world works like your neighbourhood.

as some from europe who has experienced those effects first hand I can just shake my hand at that egoistical stance you are taking.
"fuck the rest, at least I get my way"

How are you "getting fucked"? (i really want to know)

Prices for legitimate games in Costa Rica never fell or went up due to the flash carts and mod chips used by nearly everyone I knew.
They always were, and still are incredibly expensive for most everyone.

RM8

This is anecdotal of course, but if his friends were like mine, a few buyed the new pokemon games because at first the flashcarts didn't work with them... as soon as those roms were patched the the rest of them pirated the games.

Also in Mexico
Lol, true. Also because of Pokésav. Piracy spanked DS real hard here in Mexico, and apparently it was even worse in South Korea.

I saw this mentioned a few times... Howcomes piracy isn't an issue in Japan?
Japan loves to buy stuff. They have uber high sales for music CDs in this day and age. CDs with only a couple of songs, no less, since singles sell much better than albums.

Sendou

Good old piracy discussions. Gotta love these. In any case I hope 3DS remains largely unpirated not only because I truly believe it gives games more deserved sales but also because I want to have a real comparision point so we can finally have some facts in these discussions.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Good old piracy discussions. Gotta love these. In any case I hope 3DS remains largely unpirated not only because I truly believe it gives games more deserved sales but also because I want to have a real comparision point so we can finally have some facts in these discussions.

I only jumped in because everyone was attacking poor Petrie. :)
Everything on the last couple pages was has been rehashed again and again throughout this very same thread. haha.

RM8

At the very least, we can be sure online will remain hacker-free since now Nintendo forces updates for online play :p Mario Kart DS is my favorite entry in the series, but the online is unplayable because of the hackers ruining the beauty of a snake-to-snake MKDS race.

Petrie

Banned

This. I'm buying plenty of 3DS software and will continue to do so. In fact they'll get +1 sale if I can backup a digital title because I'd finally buy the new Phoenix Wright. As it stands I won't till there's at least an account system.

At the very least, we can be sure online will remain hacker-free since now Nintendo forces updates for online play :p Mario Kart DS is my favorite entry in the series, but the online is unplayable because of the hackers ruining the beauty of a snake-to-snake MKDS race.

No we can't, as the latest update allows this cart to spoof the newer firmware.

Zornica

Banned
Hmm, you have my attention now too.
This is the only thing I want.

How are you "getting fucked"? (i really want to know)

Prices for legitimate games in Costa Rica never fell or went up due to the flash carts and mod chips used by nearly everyone I knew.
They always were, and still are incredibly expensive for most everyone.

because less and less games got published for those systems. by the end of 2010, hardly anything came out for the ds (and the wii) - even if there were lots and lots of games available for any publisher to pick up and localise. in the end nintendo was the only publisher left - at least the last one that localised non-shovelware trash.
this was also true switching from ds to 3ds. as recently as 2013 publishers started to crawl back slowly - and I am pretty sure the region lock, dreaded as it may be, is also a huge part of it.

so, how did it effect me? about ~20+ imports I had to endure because no one wanted to publish those niche games any more.

The few games that got published were, as I said, dirt cheap in the end - which is ofc very nice from a consumer standpoint (the cheapest new game I ever bought was 1,75€) - but on the long term it sucks if it's the last piece I can buy from my home market.
imports aren't that cheap, but thats not of any concern to a pirate of course.

Don't be cheap man, support the developers :/

It's pretty fucking hard to when they don't release shit in your region.

I'd buy an american 3ds and go all digital but I'm too afraid of Nintendo's lack of account bound purchases.

It'd be fine if Nintendo either had a decent worth a fuck account system or the 3DS wasn't region locked but it's both which is horrible.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
because less and less games got published for those systems. by the end of 2010, hardly anything came out for the ds (and the wii) - even if there were lots and lots of games available for any publisher to pick up and localise. in the end nintendo was the only publisher left - at least the last one that localised non-shovelware trash.
this was also true switching from ds to 3ds. as recently as 2013 publishers started to crawl back slowly - and I am pretty sure the region lock, dreaded as it may be, is also a huge part of it.

so, how did it effect me? about ~20+ imports I had to endure because no one wanted to publish those niche games any more.

The few games that got published were, as I said, dirt cheap in the end - which is ofc very nice from a consumer standpoint (the cheapest new game I ever bought was 1,75€) - but on the long term it sucks if it's the last piece I can buy from my home market.
imports aren't that cheap, but thats not of any concern to a pirate of course.

I see and I know Europe gets shafted on a lot of releases with either much later localizations or none at all.

By the end of 2010 though, the DS was slowing down a lot in Western regions (past its prime years) and hype for 3DS was building like crazy since it was revealed earlier that same year and set for release globally in just a few months.
Most of the notable games these last couple of years for DS were from Nintendo or Nintendo published.

Either way though, it's shame you had to import so many titles in the system's twilight years.
I myself have over 20 imports as well, and I live in the US. I'm just a big handheld buyer.

0 imports for 3DS though.

Raw64life

DS flash cart was incredibly convenient for me. I wont be getting a 3DS one anytime soon because I can see Nintendo bundling updates with games but especially if no Dragon Quest games make it to the west (which looks to be all but certain at this point) I'll have to consider taking the risk.

Garou

It somehow hurts to see this thread on GAF. Everybody here is so passsionate about the hobby, but this Homebrew-stuff leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I know there are many legal and convenient uses for this, but the exact same knowledge can and will be used to pirate stuff. I'd rather not give such knowledge a home, there are enough other places on the internet for that...

Top Bottom