• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Flash Cart Now Shipping: Nintendo's nightmare coming true

Petrie

Banned
It somehow hurts to see this thread on GAF. Everybody here is so passsionate about the hobby, but this Homebrew-stuff leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I know there are many legal and convenient uses for this, but the exact same knowledge can and will be used to pirate stuff. I'd rather not give such knowledge a home, there are enough other places on the internet for that...

There are threads all over for items who might primarily be used for piracy. Every thread about people needing to play mkv files or something is generally a thinly veiled piracy discussion. Does that mean those with legit uses shouldn't be able?

you still need a 3ds with 4.1-4.5 firmware

Indeed, but I'd wager not for long.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It somehow hurts to see this thread on GAF. Everybody here is so passsionate about the hobby, but this Homebrew-stuff leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I know there are many legal and convenient uses for this, but the exact same knowledge can and will be used to pirate stuff. I'd rather not give such knowledge a home, there are enough other places on the internet for that...

I'd much rather discuss this on GAF with responsible people than some shady website with kids begging for rom links.

ILoveBish

Someone told me a new firmware for these carts came out that allows new games like zelda to work, and also has a new mode where you can play retail carts with new firmwares and not lose your old firmware.

DonMigs85

That's why PSP was like my dream device.
I loved dumping my own UMDs on a PSP 1000 system and then playing them on the PSP Go.

How I wish the there was an cheap way to dump your own games for DS and 3DS.

The problem is that for every honest (I hope) flashcart optimist like you there are probably at least a hundred thousand people who will use it solely for piracy. That's why I don't want flashcart development or firmware/SD card hacking to progress at all. It really hurt the DS and PSP later in their lifecycles.
Sure it makes things more convenient for you, but if future game releases dry up what's the point?
It's being selfish, pure and simple. It's meant to be a closed system so you have to play by the platform holder's rules. There are open source devices for the other stuff you want.

narton

Someone told me a new firmware for these carts came out that allows new games like zelda to work, and also has a new mode where you can play retail carts with new firmwares and not lose your old firmware.

Kind of. From what Im' reading, the retail carts actually give an error that the save data is corrupt, so those don't work. It's very buggy and only loads half the time, but it looks like games with made newer SDKs do indeed work. There's eshop access too, but no online play.

pje122

Seems like R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition is another recently released cart for the 3DS.
Anyone had any experience with this one? Seems to be pretty similar to the Gateway from what I have read online.

Sitrus

Seems like R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition is another recently released cart for the 3DS.
Anyone had any experience with this one? Seems to be pretty similar to the Gateway from what I have read online.

Ouch, poor Nintendo. Is this the start of a wave of carts for the 3DS?

Inotti

I really don't think this will hurt nintendo much. :p Seems like a too much hassle for this to become a thing.

Hesemonni

Banned
Flashcarts are pretty much non-problem until they figure out multirom support and couple of more clones appear on the market. That's when prices start bombing and the product starts being appealing.

Sandfox

That certainly wasn't the case with the original DS. And obviously not the PSP... or the Wii......

I'm expecting the 3DS successor to be announced in 2015 and released in 2016(though it could be announced in 2016 I guess) and I don't see these flash carts reaching the right price or having the features people want like online until around the end of 2014 and even then it will take time for it to get into enough people's hands to where it will be a legit issue as the devices you mentioned.

DonMigs85

I'm expecting the 3DS successor to be announced in 2015 and released in 2016(though it could be announced in 2016 I guess) and I don't see these flash carts reaching the right price or having the features people want like online until around the end of 2014 and even then it will take time for it to get into enough people's hands to where it will be a legit issue as the devices you mentioned.

Hopefully yeah. And the lessons learned from this will hopefully make the successor much tougher to crack.

Hesemonni

Banned
Hopefully yeah. And the lessons learned from this will hopefully make the successor much tougher to crack.
Make product more desirable as is and thus give less incentives for cracking. Ie. Proper account system, region free, maybe some sort of subscriber program like PS+ for starters.

Sandfox

Everything gets cracked eventually but the best thing to just hold out long enough I guess.
Make product more desirable as is and thus give less incentives for cracking. Ie. Proper account system, region free, maybe some sort of subscriber program like PS+ for starters.

People will always want to crack a device no matter how desirable it is.

DonMigs85

Hopefully the first two, but Nintendo is pretty stingy and I doubt they ever offer anything like Plus.

Hasney

Just Googled it to get the full specs.

Support Wifi games and DS Ramble pak.

Gotta get on this. So many DS Ramble games I missed!

wrowa

I doubt the people who use these devices care for any of this in the slightest. Who are the main audiences of those carts? Parents who don't want to buy ganes for their kids, teenagers who don't have any money or would rather waste it partying, etc. Something like an account system or region free games has never been a problem with the DS and it didn't stop people from buying R4s in the millions.

After Napster iTunes started selling songs for a buck. People still pirate.

Movies are dirt cheap to rent/buy/stream/watch. People still pirate.

After Napster iTunes started selling songs for a buck. People still pirate.

Movies are dirt cheap to rent/buy/stream/watch. People still pirate.

iTunes had shite quality and awful DRM at that time and I can usually find a movie on blu-ray cheaper than an HD digital file on iTunes or Amazon and both of those services still have awful DRM for their videos.

Colin.

It's a shame things such as these are required for what should be a feature by default, region free hardware. No one should have to buy an entire new system, just to play some region exclusive games.

JimPanzer

wait, that region-lock can be bypassed within software? always thought it would be a hardware-thing.

damn, nintendo. delete that region lock via a firmware update or get SMTIV to EU asap!

Gabe3208

Banned
In case anyone was wondering, the r4i 3DS Gold flashcart (that plays DS games ONLY on 3DS) still works with the new 7.0.0-13U firmware update (The Miiverse Update)

I just updated my wife's 3DS and popped it in, works perfectly fine.

pje122

In case anyone was wondering, the r4i 3DS Gold flashcart (that plays DS games ONLY on 3DS) still works with the new 7.0.0-13U firmware update (The Miiverse Update)

I just updated my wife's 3DS and popped it in, works perfectly fine.
Cool, thanks for the update.

Maedhros

I've seen this on gbatemp:

NEWS
HAPPY NEW YEAR

1/01/2014
We wish a happy new year to all Gateway users around the world. 2014 will be a great year for us with a lot of things to come!

We have been working hard to release our final 2.0 firmware in 2013 as we know you are all highly expecting it. Because we want to make sure to offer a stable and fully tested product, we are slightly delaying our next update to the early days of 2014.

This is what our users will soon be able to enjoy on their Gateway system:

- Integrated menu system
- Emu-Nand with up to date compatibility
- Back up your own game cartridges and create your own ROMs
- Nand based titles compatibility
- Fat32 based drag & drop Multi-Rom
- New real time save system

Note: User feedback for GW2.0b2 has been overwhelmingly positive. The absolute stability of our beta menu system was an important milestone for us prior to pushing out the FPGA update required for some of the new features.

Happy New Year! We will be back soon with our new firmware.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'd buy this if they'd find a way to make the CPP compatible with every game (I mean the corresponding 3DS > CPP buttons L and R, not hacking camera control with the right circle pad or something similarly impossible).
I still hate that Nintendo forces you too take it off every goddamn time a game is not CPP compatible... which means 99% of the times you play a game.

skasaha

Neo Member
Sorry for bumping, but this might interest many of you people: http://gbatemp.net/threads/region-free-cart-loading-with-emunand-no-flashcards.360261/

Normmatt has figured out a modification to the Launcher.dat file that allows Gateway mode (normally the mode you use to play backups) to instead play commercial game cartridges of any region. This still relies on a 4.1 - 4.5 3DS firmware version, but now anyone with a compatible 3DS can stay on their old firmware version, get access to the latest firmware version via emuNAND, and play your legally imported games on your 3DS :D

(note that "Carts which use the 6.x saving crypto will corrupt if run on this firm. There is no easy way to fix that I'm afraid." - Normmatt). This basically includes newer games like Pokemon X/Y and Link Between Worlds.

Top Bottom