• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Flash Cart Now Shipping: Nintendo's nightmare coming true

the only question is: how many 3DS are still around with the required firmware version (4.5)?
and how many can you find in the stores with that firmware version?

firmware 5.0 was released on March 25, 2013 (4 months ago).

Since then we had:

5.1.0-11 - April 4, 2013 (4 months ago)
6.0.0-12(WW) / 11(US) - June 17, 2013 (50 days ago)
6.1.0-12 (WW) / 11 (US) - June 27, 2013 (40 days ago)
6.1.0-12 (US) - July 11, 2013 (26 days ago)
6.2.0-12 - just released

if they need to release a new hw version of this cart every time the firmware is updated this thing will always be DOA

It's really not that rare. A lot of people are really lazy when it comes to updating firmware.

For example, here is a picture I just took of my 3DS:

PS454Cwl.jpg

Take note of the "Ver. 4.5.0-10U."

I haven't updated my 3DS in many months because I don't like the slow updating process, I don't have my 3DS connected to the internet 95% of the time, and I just don't have any need to update it because there haven't been any major reasons to do so.

With no awesome new features since 4.0 (folders), what's the point in updating?

There are millions of other people just like me.

I'd only be interested if it did region free, really. I'm beginning to (begrudgingly, due to lack of account system) buy my games digitally, so having all games on me like I did with the R4 and original DS is no longer that appealing.

linkboy

While this is useless due to the current firmware, it does however give people a back door into the system, which could potentially open the system up to a PSP Pandora type exploit.

rjc571

Banned
It's really not that rare. A lot of people are really lazy when it comes to updating firmware.

PS454Cwl.jpg

I haven't updated my 3DS in many months because I don't like the slow updating process, I don't have my 3DS connected to the internet 95% of the time, and I just don't have any need to update it because there haven't been any major reasons to do so.

...you can't go to the store without updating

jackal27

Banned
Screw this crap. I got so sick of developers on the DS going out on a limb, taking risks, and making really awesome, unique games only to have their sales killed by flash carts.

If you buy this, use it for imports and translations, sure, but freaking buy the games that deserve your money people.

Just to put things in perspective for all the people screaming "USELESS!": Back in 2005, you had physically solder the card to the PassMe device so that anything on the NDS could work.

Just to put things in perspective:
The DS basically had no security, it´s firmware was not updateable and the mechanisms to prevent booting unsigned code where a joke.

On the 3DS things are completely different.

...you can't go to the store without updating

Really? Well that's interesting...I had no idea, because the only games I've been playing (on my USA 3DS) have been retail games.

The last time I went into the Nintendo eShop on 3DS (with my USA 3DS) was to download the Mario Kart 7 patch.

rrs

Cart has quite some limitations, and it's only for piracy too. Got to start somewhere for region free homebrew carts I guess.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Interested to see where this thread leads. Hopefully this opens the floodgates for region free gaming.

Pretty much this.

The only reason why I'm holding off on purchasing a 3DS is I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to get region-free gaming to work.

Pretty much this.

The only reason why I'm holding off on purchasing a 3DS is I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to get region-free gaming to work.

What if a flashcart like this gets region-free gaming to work, but only on a lower firmware that isn't available in stores anymore?

I wanted to buy an R4 to try out some emulators (promise) a while back and I had a miserable time finding one.
The Games n' Music Datel put out years ago was available in general retail channels. Even Walmart. It was not perfect but worked well with most emulators (before you ask retail games do not work; the card lacks memory or is too slow). These days it has the issue of not working on DSi and beyond.

I believe the iPlayer (not to be confused with BBC iPlayer) was also a similar homebrew only flashcard.

Petrie

Banned
Pretty much this.

Yep. sucks this is only for piracy, but piracy brings about other innovations.

$h@d0w

Pretty much this.

Same here, I live in a region where I could buy one of three different 3DS versions each with their own software and language combinations. Games obviously have different release dates too.

It's a clusterfuck.

I just want the 3DS to be region free. I also just want Nintendo to make it happen. I don't know if that's something they could do with current hardware (like a FW update), but it would be nice.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just want the 3DS to be region free. I also just want Nintendo to make it happen. I don't know if that's something they could do with current hardware (like a FW update), but it would be nice.

Even if this just means potentially unlocking that barrier, I'm sure many will gladly oblige. I am like a lot of people around here who want to be able to play games from all regions without any hitches.

The only game that requires a higher FW than 4.5 is Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

Of course, that's probably going to change now that Nintendo is aware of this piracy device.

You can bet that every first party game from now on will have 5.1 or higher on board and that doesn´t even have something to do with the Gateway card.
Nintendo just wants to have the offline systems up-to-date for compatibility and stability.
I highly doubt that Gateway has a way to circumvent min. FW requirement.
Usually something like that is hardcoded to the game executable (see PS3 and 360), so just removing the update partition (like it worked for Wii Isos), does not work.

den

PS454Cwl.jpg

your date says 16th of march though

shira

Waste of money really, all it takes is for Nintendo to update their firmware again and it no longer works. I guess you could turn off updates but that eliminates some of the 3DS's more unique features.

So begins the endless war of firmware updates and flashcart updates.

zruben

Banned
LOL, the thread title is "ironic", right?...

acording to some sites, that flashcard is already blocked/outdated.

Jockel

I hope this will lead to a nice, more useable exploit eventually. Cause I'm not interested as long as I can't dump my cards for digital eShop like play.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well this is the first card, probably means in a year or so we'll have region free cards that can store multiple games.

I would happily buy a cheap secondary 3DS that I never update to get region free games.

This is good news for me.

That probability is too low imo.

Right all this device is good for is as a grubby little piracy device (and not a particularly practical one at that thank fuck), anyone rubbing their hands with glee and hoping for region free ain't going to get it here

drspeedy

this. is. hilarious.

but it'll just be a precursor to the next waves, which will get faster with changes and eventually be as wide open as DS, methinks.

Pirates gonna pirate, even when it's a metric ton of work... people were willing to solder modchips even with the risk of bricking, which dumbfounds me.

M3d10n

PS454Cwl.jpg

If you connect your 3DS to the internet, close the lid and go take a shitter, it will update in background. It's the easiest gaming system to update ever released.

Really? Well that's interesting...I had no idea, because the only games I've been playing (on my USA 3DS) have been retail games.

The last time I went into the Nintendo eShop on 3DS (with my USA 3DS) was to download the Mario Kart 7 patch.

You don't even download demos? With the 3DS connection ratio at over 80%, it seems you're actually the minority here.

RM8

I hope Nintendo is super aggressive with this. Firmware updates alone will stop 3DS piracy from reaching DS levels, I think. Piracy is so idiotic :mad:

rjc571

Banned
I hope Nintendo is super aggressive with this. Firmware updates alone will stop 3DS piracy from reaching DS levels, I think. Piracy is so idiotic :mad:

Piracy is one of the main reasons why DS hardware sales were so astronomical in the first place, whether or not you care to admit it. Same with PSP. Not that I'm condoning it or anything.

You don't even download demos? With the 3DS connection ratio at over 80%, it seems you're actually the minority here.

And yet, Nintendo of America reported in April that 67% of gamers in the USA are "actively connected online."

While >80% may have connected at some point, a lower percentage in the USA are regularly online.

I never denied I was in the minority. All I said is there are lots of people that don't actively connect their systems to the internet like me.

So it's not unfeasible to think that there is still a good amount of people who have firmware 4.5 or below.

Piracy is one of the main reasons why DS hardware sales were so astronomical in the first place, whether or not you care to admit it. Same with PSP. Not that I'm condoning it or anything.

Yeah but Nintendo has a vested interest in ensuring that developers will keep developing. I don't think we really saw a halt to development for the DS post R4, however. Stopping piracy is a badass thing all around. Sort of like wanting to make it safe and ensure profitability for everyone on it. That's something that Nintendo desperately wants to hold on to, given the recent gloom/doom on the WiiU.

I haven't updated my 3DS in many months because I don't like the slow updating process/, I don't have my 3DS connected to the internet 95% of the time, and I just don't have any need to update it because there haven't been any major reasons to do so.

You almost have to do nothing to update the 3DS, and it takes like 5 minutes, if you don't do it the easy way (background downloading). Turn on your 3DS wifi, and it will automatically download the update by itself. Then, when you open the lid, it prompts you to install which takes another 20 seconds.

It took me longer to read your posts and write this message.

And yet, Nintendo of America reported in April that 67% of gamers in the USA are "actively connected online."

While >80% may have connected at some point, a lower percentage in the USA are actively online.

I never denied I was in the minority. All I said is there are lots of people that don't actively connect their systems to the internet like me.

So it's not unfeasible to think that there is still a good amount of people who have firmware 4.5 or below.

Since you're making broad sweeping generalizations, I will too.

I would wager that most of those people that haven't connected their 3DS to update could also not care less about this piracy device or know about its existence. So, the point is moot, all around.

RM8

Systems that are way less mass selling don't survive on piracy. GameCube didn't remain profitable because of piracy. 3DS needs to be appealing for third parties as well.

You almost have to do nothing to update the 3DS, and it takes like 5 minutes, if you don't do it the easy way (background downloading). Turn on your 3DS wifi, and it will automatically download the update by itself. Then, when you open the lid, it prompts you to install which takes another 20 seconds.

It took me longer to read your posts and write this message.

I've had Wifi on to play Animal Crossing: New Leaf, yet it's never automatically updated me to any version.

Maybe that's applicable to later firmware?

These things were a massive blow to NDS retail games in South Korea.

I remember you couldn't go to a single independent game shop (that's all they really have there) without seeing a massive stack of DS games behind the counter, and the shopowners being absolutely desperate to sell them off and outright refusing to take any of your DS games for credit.

What a travesty that was.

Top Bottom