• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS hardware sales pass Wii in Japan (Media-Create)

Mory Dunz

I get what you're saying, but I can't think of a better objective measure for performance expectations than the manufacturers own forecasts. Otherwise, your frame of reference becomes 'what forum poster #237 feels it should've sold'.

Yeah, the manufacture would have the most authority usually.
But given the market and smartphones and how badly the 3DS started, I can't say I expected it to be doing better. It's doing all right in my opinion. 237's opinion.

The frame of reference doesn't have to be one poster though.
How about a general consensus of knowledgable consumers in the industry, with a large sample size? They would know how well a console was performing. Like...GAF.

Just software in general. The device has a low-ass attach rate of 3.something.

Well...eff.
Let's revisit this in a year or two. There's still a slight, slight possibility of must have 1st party franchies returning. Metroid, F Zero (yea....), another Star Fox, Kirby will definitely come. And the new Zelda.

That might increase rates.

Evaluating the 3DS hardware numbers specifically in Japan is a different thing to worldwide. In Japan it's doing really well; but on a worldwide scale, not really.

3DS is absolutely a disappointment. It's missed sales goals in 2011 and 2012, and sales targets have been revised (down) multiple times.

Passing the Wii (in Japan) isn't really a meaningful metric, it's just sort of interesting. But really it says more about the market for home consoles than it does the success of the 3DS.

No it doesn't. It say more about how well the 3DS is doing. You can't be well versed with Japanese hardware sales if you think this.

Boerseun

Banned
3DS XL is the greatest dedicated handheld gaming device ever made. Everyone who calls themselves a gamer should own one (in my humble opinion).

Next target : the PSP! Only 7 millions to go... Then it'll be the PS2. I can totally see the 3DS end up around 22-5 millions at the very end (especially if it gets a 3rd model), provided its keeps getting nice line-up and Nitnendo doesn't decided to kill it early.

Like you said, the only way it's not beating Ps2 is if Nintendo decides to kill it off early.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
3DS is absolutely a disappointment. It's missed sales goals in 2011 and 2012, and sales targets have been revised (down) multiple times.

Passing the Wii (in Japan) isn't really a meaningful metric, it's just sort of interesting. But really it says more about the market for home consoles than it does the success of the 3DS.

I don't believe this statement necessarily means much--Nintendo hasn't had reasonable expectations for the past couple years. They're clearly out of touch with the market right now. For them to expect 3DS to sell more than DS in a market so saturated with iOS/tablet/smartphones when DS had NONE of that competition is absolutely insane.

Anth0ny

Great numbers. The holiday season sales should be massive too with Pokemon and Monster Hunter.

Crazy how much better DS was doing at this point, though. Anyone have GBA and GB numbers, by any chance?

Well...eff.
Let's revisit this in a year or two. There's still a slight, slight possibility of must have 1st party franchies returning. Metroid, F Zero (yea....), another Star Fox, Kirby will definitely come. And the new Zelda.

That might increase rates.

Kirby's a safe bet. Other than that, it will probably be quite a lot of milking. Like more 2,5D Zeldas, the obvious yearly Pokemon edition, maybe another Fire Emblem. Bravely Default is now also prepared for yearly titles...

Kirby's a safe bet. Other than that, it will probably be quite a lot of milking. Like more 2,5D Zeldas, the obvious yearly Pokemon edition, maybe another Fire Emblem. Bravely Default is now also prepared for yearly titles...

Milking? I really want a Fire Emblem Awakening sequel. Like that would make me a very happy person. Why is that milking.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Of course smartphones and tablets are making their impact on the general sales of dedicated handhelds.

I was recently on ten day vacation in Italy with the extended family, including ~20 kids between 1 - 12 year old. All of those above ~3 year had/borrowed tablets/smartphones on which they played minecraft/PvZ etc. Four of them have (3)DS's which they had all left back home. :/ None of them, of course, knew what a Vita was (lol)

I know, anecdote and all, but five years ago at least half of them would be playing the DS.

So, given the changed circumstances, I'd argue the 3DS is doing relatively well, mainly but not only due to japan, where as the Vita has fallen complety off the horse, unfortunately.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Of course smartphones and tablets are making their impact on the general sales of dedicated handhelds.

I was recently on ten day vacation in Italy with the extended family, including ~20 kids between 1 - 12 year old. All of those above ~3 year had/borrowed tablets/smartphones on which they played minecraft/PvZ etc. Four of them have (3)DS's which they had all left back home. :/ None of them, of course, knew what a Vita was (lol)

I know, anecdote and all, but five years ago at least half of them would be playing the DS

Why are you bringing in something anecdotal from Italy in a discussion about the Japanese market and sales?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you bringing in something anecdotal from Italy in a discussion about the Japanese market and sales?

Because smartphones and tablets are not a european phenomenon. Last I checked, they were pretty hot in Japan too

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's a great milestone for the 3DS.
Not being a "DS" is not a drama, while being the dominant hw and being able to reach this kind of target is a success.

redcrayon

The PSP has been around for almost 9 years in Japan, I can't believe it's still notching up sales. While I don't doubt the 3DS will overtake it in sales in half that time, I don't think the 3DS will be around for 9 years over there either. Thats some serious legs.

SmokyDave

Because smartphones and tablets are not a european phenomenon. Last I checked, they were pretty hot in Japan too
The smartphone gaming market in Japan is larger (in terms of revenue) than the dedicated gaming market. We had a thread on it a couple of months back, but I can't find it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

The smartphone gaming market in Japan is larger (in terms of revenue) than the dedicated gaming market. We had a thread on it a couple of months back, but I can't find it.

Here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650611

And bonus: some relevant numbers from US

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675581
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674661

These threads are easy to find, Dave, because 9/10 times they're created by Nirolak :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The smartphone/tablet phenomena makes the 3DS results even stronger imho. It will never (I mean...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERRRR) be able to catch DS and GBC numbers, but still will easily surpass the GBA (mid next year?) and will (unless a huge collpase will happen) surpass the PSP (mid '15?) DESPITE the smartphone/tablet boom.

DS - 32,877,455 as of December 30th, 2012

GB + GBC - 32,430,000

PSP - 19,997,659 as of September 22nd, 2013

GBA - 15,348,849 as of December 30th, 2007

3DS - 12,752,731 as of September 22nd, 2013

AniHawk

i think it can hit 16m with relative ease by the end of the year. that would be essentially doubling yearly sales from where they are now, but they're gonna glide right from monster hunter into pokemon and then have the holiday period for those two to shine alongside other stuff like mario party and zelda (although zelda won't be that big of a deal).

2014 might have the 2ds, although by design, it doesn't seem well-suited for the japanese market, so we'll see. 2014 will also have smash bros dqm2, and some other stuff here and there, but it'll be the beginning of the winding down period for sure. maybe 4m for the calendar year 2014, 2/3 of what 2013 did, and bringing total sales to 20m.

then 2015 there will be another batch of titles. not sure what they could be: maybe dqxi, monster hunter 4g, radruby/sadsapphire, another fire emblem, a kirby game, or a rhythm tengoku (the latter two are very popular and currently absent form the system). it'll keep sales afloat somewhat for the year.

2016 should be another big year, but i'm expecting it more for the console side. they might do pokemon gen 7 at this time. late 2016 and/or early 2017 should see the next nintendo handheld, and leave the 3ds with about 24-25m in japan before all is said and done. not as good as the ds (which nothing may ever be again), or the gb/c (which took over a decade to get those numbers), but pretty good for its time.

Well, considering there are around 12 million 3DS in Japan, and 2.2 million bought it so far in a matter of a couple of weeks, that's an insane attach ratio.

antispin

Crazy how outclassed handhelds are versus mobile phones. Nintendo should be thinking of how to bring traditional controls to mobiles. Note, I am coming from purely a numbers perspective. One multimedia mobile device class versus another. Not comparing health of the gaming market on both.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
i think it can hit 16m with relative ease by the end of the year. that would be essentially doubling yearly sales from where they are now, but they're gonna glide right from monster hunter into pokemon and then have the holiday period for those two to shine alongside other stuff like mario party and zelda (although zelda won't be that big of a deal).

2014 might have the 2ds, although by design, it doesn't seem well-suited for the japanese market, so we'll see. 2014 will also have smash bros dqm2, and some other stuff here and there, but it'll be the beginning of the winding down period for sure. maybe 4m for the calendar year 2014, 2/3 of what 2013 did, and bringing total sales to 20m.

then 2015 there will be another batch of titles. not sure what they could be: maybe dqxi, monster hunter 4g, radruby/sadsapphire, another fire emblem, a kirby game, or a rhythm tengoku (the latter two are very popular and currently absent form the system). it'll keep sales afloat somewhat for the year.

2016 should be another big year, but i'm expecting it more for the console side. they might do pokemon gen 7 at this time. late 2016 and/or early 2017 should see the next nintendo handheld, and leave the 3ds with about 24-25m in japan before all is said and done. not as good as the ds (which nothing may ever be again), or the gb/c (which took over a decade to get those numbers), but pretty good for its time.

Last year YtD was around 5 millions. This year, thanks to DQ7, MH and Pokemon (and a very solid continous lineup: think about Luigi's Mansion or Tomodatchi collection) should be able to slighlty increase that date, but reach 16 millions by the end of the year is too much. It is at 3 millions YtD, it will sell other 2.something millions within the end of the year. Being at 12.8 millions LtD will bring it to 15 millions LTD by end of 2013.

I think that 2014 will still be hot for it in Japan. I think that the 2Ds will be released over there in that year (and if will have at least a relevance in its debut initial weeks), together with the already announced Zelda ALBW (14 for Japan), Smash bros and DQM2 remake. It is also very possible to see Pokemon Z and/or MH4G too.

Other toughts are (imho) just abstract assumption, but still I'm confident that it will surpass GBA early '14 and PSP early '15.

Crazy how outclassed handhelds are versus mobile phones. Nintendo should be thinking of how to bring traditional controls to mobiles. Note, I am coming from purely a numbers perspective. One multimedia mobile device class versus another. Not comparing health of the gaming market on both.

nah, Nintendo's doing fine doing their own thing. They don't need to give a crap about mobile at least for now(and hopefully never)

AniHawk

The smartphone/tablet phenomena makes the 3DS results even stronger imho. It will never (I mean...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERRRR) be able to catch DS and GBC numbers, but still will easily surpass the GBA (mid next year?)

the 3ds is 'only' 3m away from the gba right now. last year at this time, the 3ds had sold about 200k more, but the 3ds this years i catching up big time with monster hunter 4. the 3ds this year will probably continue to outsell the 2012 numbers through at least the end of october.

from there on, it's a little harder to tell. last year, animal crossing caused the system to go into beast mode pretty much all by itself (of course nsmb2 put up great numbers too), starting in november. this year the biggest titles will have been out for a month at that point. i think the combined efforts of pokemon and mh4 will make the 3ds sell extremely well in the holidays, despite being older titles, though.

AniHawk

Last year YtD was around 5 millions. This year, thanks to DQ7, MH and Pokemon (and a very solid continous lineup: think about Luigi's Mansion or Tomodatchi collection) should be able to slighlty increase that date, but reach 16 millions by the end of the year is too much. It is at 3 millions YtD, it will sell other 2.something millions within the end of the year. Being at 12.8 millions LtD will bring it to 15 millions LTD by end of 2013.

last year the 3ds sold 5.5m in japan. with mh4 and pokemon, i don't see it unreasonable that we could expect an additional 500k spread out over the remaining 14 weeks. i am sorta rounding up the current 12.75m to 13m to get that 16m though.

Cromat

I think in Japan, portable consoles have largely replace home consoles and can coexist with smartphones as they are the main dedicated gaming platform.

In the West home consoles are the main dedicated gaming platform and handhelds have largely been replaced by smartphones and tablets.

AniHawk

I think in Japan, portable consoles have largely replace home consoles and can coexist with smartphones as they are the main dedicated gaming platform.

In the West home consoles are the main dedicated gaming platform and handhelds have largely been replaced by smartphones and tablets.

i feel that's pretty accurate. it's also doing weird things with how japanese development is being split for next generation.

goomba

Banned

console sales are down the shitter worldwide. It still remains to be seen if next gen systems will revive console sales back to their prior dominance.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
i feel that's pretty accurate. it's also doing weird things with how japanese development is being split for next generation.

Don't know. Home market "last gen" (not so accurate, eh!)

PS2: 21.8
GC: 4.5
Xbox: 1
total: 27.3

This gen:

Wii: 12.7
Ps3: 9.5
X360: 1.6
total: 23.8

and PS3 will continue selling at least in 2014 (2012 YtD was over 1 million mark, 2013 will be slighlty less probably: so I think that we could at least imagine 500K for next year) bringing the total over 24 million.

Decline, yes, but not so strong as the PS3 constat low average sales and the Wii fall let us imagine normally.

But I think that the next gen (Ps4-Xbone-WiiU) will REALLY shrink, because MS will be non existant, Wii U will AT BEST repeat GC numbers while PS4 to me will be easily the best one, but only repeating PS3 LTD numbers imo

Top Bottom