• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Has Officially Sold More Units than N64

m0t0k1

Software attach ratios

GB/GBC - 4.5
GBA - 4.6
DS - 6.1
3DS - 3.5

Nintendo handhelds have never had particularly good tie ratios (even the DS is lower than most of their consoles), though 3DS is still lagging behind.

Ill take more free games nintendo to up that number. Already got MH3U and ACNL for free. give me zelda next please.

Platy

Should be noted that 3DS also has digital downloads ... of all my games, only my Fire Emblem counts in the "shipped games"

Daingurse

And I helped! Lordy, was buying that thing at launch a big mistake in hindsight. Oh well, I have Pokemon and a handgrip now. All is well.

Sounds about right. The N64 was a cool machine but playstation trounced it in the UK. A lot of my local game shops refused to stock N64 at all for the first year or so. A lot like Wii U, really. But it didn't help with the price drop annoying people about a month after the system came out!

I'd expect 3DS to comfortably sit above SNES sales in the end. It's a good console and a few more big hits like Zelda will push it into a lot of people's homes this Christmas. I'm hoping we get Gen7 of Pokemon on 3DS too.

Bear

TBF your comparing end of lifetime attach ratio's to relatively early life. as far as most of the data I've seen the attach ratio tends to get better the older the system is.

Yep. Earlier buyers the keep buying games without contributing to console sales, so you would expect software sales to outpace hardware.

The attach ratio is driven up as the system becomes more common.

None of my friends had an N64, could be because the price for the "big" games were around 100 euro which was crazy, lol.

Happy for 3DS though, I haven't bought a lot of games for it yet, but I should. Someday.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm glad I had a friend that did have an N64 talking him about OOT puzzles, getting help and vice versa was some great shit.

3DS is down about 18% in shipments over the past 12 months versus the 12 months prior, so they'll have work to do in order to catch up to GBA and there's simply no way it gets to DS, but Nintendo is still set to make good money in the handheld space for the next few years. It remains to be seen, though, just how far smart phones and tablets eat away at the market.

M3d10n

its worth noting that the software may seem low but that doesn't include eshop only games and a lot of stuff that in past generations would have had a retail release is now digital only

Correct. I remember when Nintendo was selling goddamn NES games on the GBA. One game per cart. Full price.

Top Bottom