• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

haxes need their payload to be updated when you update the FW. But that's just a matter of running the installation again. You have cubic ninja, which is excellent. It's very update-proof.
Doing a system transfer will indeed also require you to update your FW to the latest version. This will get you 10.5. That version is still homebrew capable (so you can run retroarch and even install menuhax), but downgrading will no longer be possible - because that exploit was fixed back in 10.4
There *might* be a way to do a system transfer without updating the FW, but I don't know any details. I remember a thread about this on gbatemp. Perhaps it was just a concept/idea, perhaps it's really a working thing.

Aeana

Is there something I can read to get up to speed with everything that's going on? The last time I looked at this stuff was when the Cubic Ninja thing very first came out. Now I'm overwhelmed at all of the talk of various CFWs and things of that nature, and I have no idea what each thing does and whether I need it, etc.

I'm less interested in guides on how to do various things than I am in a description of what each thing is good for. i.e., what is Reinand good for, PastaCFW, emunand, rxtools, and so on and so forth.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is there something I can read to get up to speed with everything that's going on? The last time I looked at this stuff was when the Cubic Ninja thing very first came out. Now I'm overwhelmed at all of the talk of various CFWs and things of that nature, and I have no idea what each thing does and whether I need it, etc.

I'm less interested in guides on how to do various things than I am in a description of what each thing is good for. i.e., what is Reinand good for, PastaCFW, emunand, and so on and so forth.

No idea but I can sum things up fast?

Sysnand is the standard nand of the 3ds. The main system of the 3ds.
Emunand is the emulation of this that sits on your sd card.

Sysnand 9.2 has a very good exploit and is the preferred version.

All of the things like menuhax, browserhax, ninjahax are used to get homebrew and specifically the homebrew channel to load on the 3ds. From the homebrew channel you can downgrade if you are on 10.3 or lower.

The idea is to keep sysnand at 9.2 (or downgrade to it) to be able to install cfw. Then you keep that in the background and use the emunand with a cfw installed for everything else. This emunand can be updated to 10.5 and it's basically like having an up to date 3ds.

The two main cfw are rxtools and reinand. Both are just cfw to use your emunand. They are not too different, just search what each one can do. I like reinand and have not tried rxtools yet.

Pastacfw is used to mainly run code on the sysnand. It's really only used for that, and is useful during the downgrade process. After that you really never touch it during normal use.

Cfw on the emunand is super useful. It allows you to install cia files onto your home menu so you can launch them from there (rather than the homebrew launcher)
And since your sysnand is on 9.2 and is fully exploitable these programs can use the dynamic recompiler which speeds up stuff like retroarch cores.

You got any other questions?

B.K.

Success.

no25w7C.jpg

Now, is there a guide somewhere on how to dump games and convert them to CIAs?

I'm less interested in guides on how to do various things than I am in a description of what each thing is good for. i.e., what is Reinand good for, PastaCFW, emunand, rxtools, and so on and so forth.

Reddit to the rescue: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3ztqqv/all_you_need_to_know_by_popular_demand/

Pasta, Reinand, Rxtools, NTR and other CFW are best to look up by their release threads on GBAtemp. Reinand and NTR, for example, are New 3DS only. Pasta boots to SysNAND. Rxtools is probably the most feature-packed CFW.

B.K.

I'm dumping EmuNAND now, so I can restore it when I screw something up. To update EmuNAND, I just set up a valid internet connection and update like normal from System Settings while in EmuNAND, right?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently running homebrew in firmware 9.9.0-26U (via Ironhax, o3DS XL) and was wondering how to be able to connect to the internet again to be able to get the legendaries for ORAS. I stumbled upon this guide on reddit which led me to this thread on GBAtemp, in both places the term "franken-firmware" is thrown around a lot. This all sounds very complicated and I really don't want to risk bricking the 3DS. Are these guides the easiest method to get internet access back without giving up on homebrew? Any input is much appreciated.

Quoting from earlier ITT. I just wanna know how safe it is to run on franken-firmware. Anyone here doing that?

Giever

Success.

no25w7C.jpg

Now, is there a guide somewhere on how to dump games and convert them to CIAs?

Yes, I am in the process of doing that right now, and am using this gude. You can use svdt to back up the saves of most cartridges and inject them into the CIA once it is installed (and once you've initialized the save data by starting the game, or first saving in it, etc.).

B.K.

Yes, I am in the process of doing that right now, and am using this gude. You can use svdt to back up the saves of most cartridges and inject them into the CIA once it is installed (and once you've initialized the save data by starting the game, or first saving in it, etc.).

I'm not really worried about saves. I don't think I've played any of my 3DS games enough to need to worry about losing saves.

Edit: I've got everything up to date now. SysNAND is on 9.0 and EmuNAND is on 10.5. I've replaced the horrible anime girl splash screen on ReiNAND. Now I'm trying to find a decent background image for CtrBoot Manager.

no1dead

Banned
I'm dumping EmuNAND now, so I can restore it when I screw something up. To update EmuNAND, I just set up a valid internet connection and update like normal from System Settings while in EmuNAND, right?

you should join https://discord.gg/0UFdpe0x69ZNh58v and talk in there they are pretty cool and you can ask them anything pretty much and they are up to answer it.

If you have installed 3.2 reiNAND then it works on 10.5 but backup the nand so if it breaks then just restore it.

B.K.

Is the 2/14 Retroarch build broken or am I doing something wrong? I installed a core and when I try to Load Content to load a rom, the program crashes and it crashes the entire system. It resets the system and I have to reload ReiNAND.

Lettuce

The only reason is for Region Free support built into rxTools, but even then, the process of opening NTR for region free is only <20 seconds after booting up Reinand/Cakes.

Region free for purchased games (physical carts & eshop) you mean not CIA game?. Is this true for nds games?

Bittercup

No idea but I can sum things up fast?
[...]

You got any other questions?
That was a super helpful post. Thank you.
I don't have a 3ds yet but was thinking about buying one next month. And all the different exploits and hacks are a bit confusing the first time. That makes it a lot clearer.

If I buy a new 3ds in a few weeks (in Europe if that makes a difference), what are the chances for it being on 10.3 or lower so I can downgrade?

Minions

Did a successful 9.2 downgrade using this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/44pmob/updated_tutorial_for_hasslefree_downgrading/

Getting random blackscreens on trying to launch EMUNAND with Cakes CFG.

Like, maybe 1/3 of the time. Otherwise everything works great.

Anybody experience this? Suggestions?

Not specific to that; but booting my new 3ds xl into emunand tends to fail about 10-20% of the time. I don't know if it can be reduced further than that, but I think it just means the exploit failed. As I just close my lid and leave the 3ds on, I don't have to boot it often however.

For anyone downgrading a New 3ds XL with fw 9.9.0-26U; Your downgrade will probably fail and say your 3ds has to be restarted. (Incomplete downgrade) In my experience running the downgrade a second time resolved the issue for me (and a friend). But YMMV. Apparently the downgrade from that specific firmware tends to fail. It failed once for me and once for a friend. Running the downgrade a second time finished whatever flashing was incomplete from the first time. I was stuck in a frankenfirmware which wouldn't allow me to run the internet browser, or go into the configuration settings on the 3ds. I'm running Reinand and I'm pretty happy with it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone downgrading a New 3ds XL with fw 9.9.0-26U; Your downgrade will probably fail and say your 3ds has to be restarted. (Incomplete downgrade) In my experience running the downgrade a second time resolved the issue for me (and a friend). But YMMV. Apparently the downgrade from that specific firmware tends to fail. It failed once for me and once for a friend. Running the downgrade a second time finished whatever flashing was incomplete from the first time. I was stuck in a frankenfirmware which wouldn't allow me to run the internet browser, or go into the configuration settings on the 3ds. I'm running Reinand and I'm pretty happy with it.

At the moment, I'm trying to downgrade from this FW but on an o3DS XL. After 3 tries nothing has happened. I'm going to give it some more shots this week but otherwise, would it be better to upgrade to 10.3 and then downgrade to 9.2?

Minions

At the moment, I'm trying to downgrade from this FW but on an o3DS XL. After 3 tries nothing has happened. I'm going to give it some more shots this week but otherwise, would it be better to upgrade to 10.3 and then downgrade to 9.2?

I tried; actually had more issues upgrading to 10.3. All the threads I read said it was "probably better" to upgrade to 10.3 and then down to 9.2. However those threads were all written when 10.3 was the NEWEST fw. That allowed you to upgrade to the newest FW and then attempt the downgrade again. That is no longer easy to do, as you have to find/use another program to do that. (One I could never get to run successfully). Previously you could just upgrade to 10.3 off nintendos official updater and then attempt the downgrade again.

Are you using safesysupdater? I used that to downgrade both new 3ds xl's I did. Like I said it did fail, but running it a second time to finish the downgrade worked both times for us. (Don't blame me if it bricks, this was just my experience YMMV).

Safesysupdater will do a filecheck of your downgrade files to make sure they pass verification, which (hopefully) reduces the chances of a successful downgrade. The standard update/downgrader has been unsuccessful for me completely. Some people swear that running brony and closing it (I think? with LR YB?, I forget the key commands) then immediately running the upgrader increases success. I think its a placebo but take that for what you will.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the advice, I'll just keep going at it on 9.9 until it works.

So... Is it safe to update rxTools emunand from 10.3.0 to 10.5.0?

Yes. You can update through system settings as normal. Just make absolutely sure you're in emunand.
Or you can update using sysupdater, you'll need a 10.5 cia files package for this.

Just to be safe, you can create an emunand backup using emunand9 before updating.

Arizato

Yes. You can update through system settings as normal. Just make absolutely sure you're in emunand.
Or you can update using sysupdater, you'll need a 10.5 cia files package for this.

Just to be safe, you can create an emunand backup using emunand9 before updating.

Thanks! Just updated the normal way and it worked great!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I tried using Blargsnes again on my old 3dsxl just to see if I could get anything to run, and I was surprised to get Earthbound running full speed the first try. Then it proceeded to hard lock the system with every further attempt to run any rooms. Is that just how it is with Blargsnes on the old unitss?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After many tries with MenuHax, I used SafeSysUpdater on IronHax and it allegedly worked. The process was apparently successful and tried rebooting the system at the end. It wouldn't reboot so I turned it off and on. However, now I only get a black screen on startup. Taking the SD card out displays "An error has occurred". And fortunately I can go into recovery mode. Is there anything I'm doing wrong in this step? I don't wanna give up on HW so easily. D:

^ Well, your 3DS is still fine. If you can't boot without an SD card, it sounds like you soft-bricked. I don't think there's anything you can do besides a recovery mode upgrade (to 10.5, unfortunately).

Minions

After many tries with MenuHax, I used SafeSysUpdater on IronHax and it allegedly worked. The process was apparently successful and tried rebooting the system at the end. It wouldn't reboot so I turned it off and on. However, now I only get a black screen on startup. Taking the SD card out displays "An error has occurred". And fortunately I can go into recovery mode. Is there anything I'm doing wrong in this step? I don't wanna give up on HW so easily. D:

I have no idea; You are sure you are using the correct downgrade files for the region of your 3ds, and that they are the NEW ones? The downgrade firmware should be labeled 9.2.0-20U(Full)_n3DS ; This is the closest thread I've found about it; though most people say it should still boot if u remove the sd card, which is not the case for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/419mkk/an_error_occurred_at_reboot_after_successfull/

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea; You are sure you are using the correct downgrade files for the region of your 3ds, and that they are the NEW ones? The downgrade firmware should be labeled 9.2.0-20U(Full)_n3DS ; This is the closest thread I've found about it; though most people say it should still boot if u remove the sd card, which is not the case for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/419mkk/an_error_occurred_at_reboot_after_successfull/

Yeah, I double check and it's the right firmware. At least I got a soft brick as opposed to a hard brick. My mistake was probably not formatting the SD card before starting the process.

^ Well, your 3DS is still fine. If you can't boot without an SD card, it sounds like you soft-bricked. I don't think there's anything you can do besides a recovery mode upgrade (to 10.5, unfortunately).

Yeah, I should've done this while 10.3 was the latest version. I don't see Ironhax working anymore but I hope that the folks at GBAtemp figure out a way to use OoT 3D hax once again.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Who's "stopping" him from tweeting? Seems very odd.

Ostensibly, the devs who are researching that feature. But then again, Pingo's known for his constant hyping of projects that never release. So that's why I urge everyone not to get too excited for this.

The major breakthrough regarding DSi Mode and flashcarts a week or so ago does bring some hopes for this feature, though...

I tried using Blargsnes again on my old 3dsxl just to see if I could get anything to run, and I was surprised to get Earthbound running full speed the first try. Then it proceeded to hard lock the system with every further attempt to run any rooms. Is that just how it is with Blargsnes on the old unitss?

yeah, this is a known bug with LibRetro on 3DS. You need to restart the app befroe switching ROMs.

B.K.

Is there any reason to keep an old 3DS around anymore? I have an old XL that I kept around that I always planned to put homebrew on. I wanted to keep it around since the old 3DS could have current emunand, but now that they've got emunand working up to date on New 3DS, an old one is useless, right?

my 128GB micros sd card for my N3dsXL arrived yesterday successfully copied everything over including my emunand was extremely easy to do.

Is there any reason to keep an old 3DS around anymore? I have an old XL that I kept around that I always planned to put homebrew on. I wanted to keep it around since the old 3DS could have current emunand, but now that they've got emunand working up to date on New 3DS, an old one is useless, right?

Homebrew on n3DS is superior to o3DS in every way I can think of. In fact, homebrew is a major reason to upgrade to n3DS. Not only is it great for emulation, but the ability to run 3DS games with the increased clock and L2 cache that n3DS offers does wonders for some games that normally would struggle.

So yeah, right now I can't think of a reason why I'd use my o3DS if I had functioning homebrew on my n3DS.

Madao

Homebrew on n3DS is superior to o3DS in every way I can think of. In fact, homebrew is a major reason to upgrade to n3DS. Not only is it great for emulation, but the ability to run 3DS games with the increased clock and L2 cache that n3DS offers does wonders for some games that normally would struggle.

So yeah, right now I can't think of a reason why I'd use my o3DS if I had functioning homebrew on my n3DS.

that reminds me, is there a more up to date list of games that benefit from the unlocked CPU speed?

Ugh, so GBA VC games (my Ambassador games, not injected, legally owned) won't load on my emunand 10.5 N3DSXL. And apparently that is normal for GBA VC games unless they are also installed on your sysnand, from what I'm reading. And of course I don't know how to do that (yet).

This is going to be more work than I thought to get all my legit software working. I should have read up a little more than I did.

The good news is my Cakes CFW black screens don't seem to be happening frequently any more. The other bad news is I'm having the super stable 3D error where you have to close and reopen the screen to get it to work right.

Top Bottom