• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

B.K.

Oh how do you do this!

There's a thread at GBATemp where people have made custom splash screens. Just download one of their splash.bin files and replace the default splash.bin in the rei folder with the one you downloaded. This is the one I'm using.

m0ONmjB.png

no1dead

Banned
There's a thread at GBATemp where people have made custom splash screens. Just download one of their splash.bin files and replace the default splash.bin in the rei folder with the one you downloaded. This is the one I'm using.

m0ONmjB.png

Can you give me a link to the splash.bin?

Dark Rider

I see a lot of posters here complain about ReiNAND splash screen and try to change it, anyone has a link to it in action? I want to see how can a splash screen be so bad lol

Dark Rider

It's basically this image for a second or two.

p6A4TbL.png

its not a professional splash screen but I thought it was much worse seeing everyone jump on changing it
I guess i don't care if I had it, its just a splash screen for second or two after all

but if there is a cool replacement and all it take is to drag and drop a file I would do it I admit :p

Aw man, if the DS thing somehow means we can rip our carts into CIAs, that'd be sweet. My two flashcarts are old as hell and their contacts don't work so well anymore.

I'd change the image too, but it's there for less than two seconds and there's nothing forcing me to look at it.

Audioboxer

There's a payload_hax thing that's build for CFW booting in mind, hoping for better boot speeds, rate, etc.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-lesshax-cfw-optimized-9-2-payload.415077/

I can't test it right now, but it looks promising

I switched over to this. Renamed my boot.3dsx file to less.3dsx (it's ctrbootmanager), and this allows the HBL to be renamed back to boot.3dsx.

If you download the blank display image here - http://ihaveamac.github.io/ninjhax2.x/ and install it with menuhax_manager, then you'll have a completely black bootup (no garble/flashing colours).

my 128GB micros sd card for my N3dsXL arrived yesterday successfully copied everything over including my emunand was extremely easy to do.

Wait, what? You can just copy everything over? I thought it was more complicated than that?

If there are other steps, do you have a guide or anything? I've been thinking about upgrading to a 128 myself.

Wait, what? You can just copy everything over? I thought it was more complicated than that?

If there are other steps, do you have a guide or anything? I've been thinking about upgrading to a 128 myself.
It's as simple as that of you are upgrading to a larger card for use in the same 3DS. I've not done it myself so I'm not sure how you copy across emunand.

It gets more complicated if you're changing 3DS.

City 17

It's as simple as that of you are upgrading to a larger card for use in the same 3DS. I've not done it myself so I'm not sure how you copy across emunand.

I've finally got a n3dsxl on 9.2 (without CFW etc.), and I've ordered a new 64GB mSD.
So before starting the CFW stuff, I can just copy/paste my data and all will be OK, including my eShop games, right?

L.O.R.D

If he have emunand, he havw to setup emunand again on the new card the copy all old contents to the new card, or make emunand backup from old card and restore it back.

I've finally got a n3dsxl on 9.2 (without CFW etc.), and I've ordered a new 64GB mSD.
So before starting the CFW stuff, I can just copy/paste my data and all will be OK, including my eShop games, right?
If your data is already running on the N3DSXL then it's as simple as copying the files, yes.

If you're yet to migrate your data to the N3DSXL from another 3DS then you need to do it a different way.

Risette

A Good Citizen
To use an emunand on a new SD card is basically just:

Backup emunand from old card

Format new card (leave your old card alone, no need to format unless you want to reuse it, but it's always nice to have your emunand present on another card as a backup of sorts)

Inject backup into new card

And that's it.

What's the biggest SD card that 3DS supports? I know officially it is 32 GB, but what is the real max? 128?

Now that I have CFW and I am dumping my carts I'm thinking about upgrading from 32 GB.

MrPanic

What's the biggest SD card that 3DS supports? I know officially it is 32 GB, but what is the real max? 128?

Now that I have CFW and I am dumping my carts I'm thinking about upgrading from 32 GB.

I don't think there is a max as long as you can convert the card to fat32. I think 128gb is the highest I've seen confirmed to work.

Aeana

256 seems to work under the same circumstances as any other card >32gb

I've seen reports of 128gb cards confirmed working. Don't know about 256.
Windows might not be able to format those cards, it's possible you'll need an external tool.

Pokemaniac

The real max is probably around 2TB. That is the biggest volume size supported by FAT32.

I don't think retail SDXC cards get that big yet, though.

Mendrox

Downgraded my 9.9 E 3DS XL (with blocked browser) by using power safe and an OOT cardridge! Worked like a charme (except that my 3DS didn't want to reboot in the downgrade process, almost killed my heart after I turned it off... but it was fine).

Only took 2 hours the first including setting everything up like NAND etc.

Did the same thing for the 2DS of a friend, only took 1 1/2h, and I told him to update the system if he is in the emunand only.

5minutes later and I get the whatsapp message that he updated the normal system. I knew I should have prepared everything (like auto boot etc.) myself. Now he is on 10.5. lol

Guess he will get a new 2DS...

Audioboxer

MicroSD card management from homescreen is great (you install a CIA). Prevents a reboot like every time when you use it under system settings.

File you need MicroSDManagement_RepacksforCFW.rar.

Only thing you get is an error prompt when closing it, which is harmless and can be closed with A. This happens as the 3DS expects to reboot when you close sd card management.

MicroSD card management from homescreen is great (you install a CIA). Prevents a reboot like every time when you use it under system settings.

File you need MicroSDManagement_RepacksforCFW.rar.

Only thing you get is an error prompt when closing it, which is harmless and can be closed with A. This happens as the 3DS expects to reboot when you close sd card management.

Yeah that one is indeed quite handy, only issue I have with it is that I get way lower transfer speeds compared to going into System Settings. But for smaller transfers it's great! :)

it really is that simple as long as your not upgrading from a 3ds/2ds to a N3DS but i will do a quick guide.

1. Make a backup of your emunand using EmuNAND9 this is very important

2. format your new sd card to Fat32 or else 3ds wont read it.

3. load EmuNAND9 again click "Complete Emunand setup" it will now tell you that you can switch sd cards put the new sd card that you jsut formated into your 3ds and do as the program says it will set up Emunand on the new sd card once its done and it ask if ya want to reboot just turn off your 3ds.

4. Now copy everything including your emunand backup from your old sd card to your new one this will move everything including all your games and homebrew apps

5. Once everything is moved put the new sd card into your 3ds load up Emunand9 again, click "EmuNAND Manager options" then click "Clone EmuNAND.bin to EmuNAND" when it finishes hit reboot and if done right once ya load up your emunand everything should be there.

Kurt

One quick small question :

If you have the menuhax and you want to boot pastcfw (from the option menu) -> it always gives me a black screen. I'm on 9.2 old 3DS eu

Audioboxer

Arm9loaderhax seems to be progressing pretty nicely. Reisyukaku posted a video of using it to load ReiNand and it takes only 2 seconds more than a normal boot.

Hoping they manage to find a way to get the OTP dumped without downgrading to 1.0-3.0 or just improves it enough so it's feasible to do it without hard mod.

https://plailect.github.io/OTP/

Yup we are potentially going to get PSP levels of CFW in the not too distant future.

OTP can only be dumped on 2.x or lower due to Nintendo patching the exploit. Considering we are now on 10.5 and there is no other way it looks like we will all be in for another downgrade. Although this one is much riskier as we need to do some hex editing. Think most people without a hard mod will forever be scared off.

Right now on N3DS the full process cannot be done without a hard mod as there is no way to update from 2.x (other than Nintendo update to 10.5 which is pointless). Cart upgrades will brick a N3DS (N3DS never had 2.x officially so if you upgrade from a cart it mistakenly defaults to O3DS which causes brick). Devs are currently working on a browser hack to restore a sysnand 9.2 backup. O3DS' can just use any game with a cart update.

Quick question, I'm helping a friend out to downgrade his 2DS which is currently running FW 9.9. He never used the Internet Browser before and I made him setup TubeHax DNS before turning on his wireless switch. Yet when he is scanning the Browserhax QR code he gets a message "The Internet Browser isn't available at this time" Is he screwed without OOT or CubicNinja? :/

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Noob question but what's the OTP and why do we want to access it?

lord

Quick question, I'm helping a friend out to downgrade his 2DS which is currently running FW 9.9. He never used the Internet Browser before and I made him setup TubeHax DNS before turning on his wireless switch. Yet when he is scanning the Browserhax QR code he gets a message "The Internet Browser isn't available at this time" Is he screwed without OOT or CubicNinja? :/
This happened to me and I wasn't able to run browserhax at all, try a few more times though hopefully you'll get lucky.

Seronei

Noob question but what's the OTP and why do we want to access it?

Not really sure what OTP actually is but, it's useful because it allows you to modify the arm9loader in a n3ds. Which means you can boot into emuNand much earlier than menuhax (boots much quicker), you can also setup something like Priiloader/bootmii or what PSP cfw has to recover from bricks on your sysNAND without a hard mod. It also lets you patch your sysNAND before you boot so you'd be able to have all the emuNAND features in sysNAND.

This is what I've got from reading up about it.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Not really sure what OTP actually is but, it's useful because it allows you to modify the arm9loader in a n3ds. Which means you can boot into emuNand much earlier than menuhax (boots much quicker), you can also setup something like Priiloader/bootmii or what PSP cfw has to recover from bricks on your sysNAND without a hard mod. It also lets you patch your sysNAND before you boot so you'd be able to have all the emuNAND features in sysNAND.

This is what I've got from reading up about it.

Ooooh... Very interesting, especially the part about having a bootmii-type thing.

Thanks for the explanation!

Audioboxer

I'm doing the OTP process on a N3DS without a hardmod, wish me luck!! No way to upgrade back from 2.0 as things stand, but there should be imminently.

sensui-tomo

So i havent done stuff in a while since i was waiting for RX tools to release a higher firmware on the n3ds (so i'm currently running RX-E 9.2.0-20U) whats the best cfw/thing to update to (and easy) so i can get access to amiibo support again so i can use them on FE:Fates (waiting for some reviews to decide whether or not i'll import or just buy them here depending on how localization affected stuff)

Mendrox

The browser got the update either way it seems so OOT and power safe is the cheapest and easiest way to go for a downgrade (like I did). Power Safe costs 20 Euro at amazon.de and OOT can be lend from someone or bought a bit cheaper on ebay and resold :)

This happened to me and I wasn't able to run browserhax at all, try a few more times though hopefully you'll get lucky.

Ah okay, it was the same for him aswell :/ We're going the OOT route now, he's looking to buy a cartridge and I'll prep it with my n3DS.
The browser got the update either way it seems so OOT and power safe is the cheapest and easiest way to go for a downgrade (like I did). Power Safe costs 20 Euro at amazon.de and OOT can be lend from someone or bought a bit cheaper on ebay and resold :)

Yeah seems so, I really wonder how it happened o.o I mean we did enter the browser without the TubeHax DNS once to do the initial setup but at this point WiFi was disabled so I'm really stumped how that happened o.o But yeah I told him it's just a small setback, OOT to should help yeah :)

Top Bottom