• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Audioboxer

so , with Rei there is no 3D bug ? or because you downgrade to 2.1 ?

It's because arm9loaderhax runs prior to boot in a sense. Code is locked in before Nintendos boot code kicks in. The way we've had it so far is code running after Nintendos boot code, which produces the 3D bug as well as longer load times, and the occasional boot fail.

Using arm9 with any FW will have 3D working okay.

I'm in a pickle still though from the point of view that there is currently no way for me to create a new emunand or even run emunand9 to restore a sysnand/emunand backup. The only two public payloads are for rei on sysnand or rei on emunand. I'm forced to having to use the sysnand one and while it means my 3DS is working, I cannot run certain homebrew apps right now (mainly just the two apps that can restore backups - they kick you back to HBL as the rei payload runs 10.4 native firm, but I'm on 9.2).

Will be fixed soon enough. Basically, in terms of what we can do with arm9 right now there isn't much as devs need to catchup. If anyone goes to get their OTP file just go back to where you were before with emunand and menuhax until devs release more payloads. Payloads are the .bin files arm9loaderhax will load on boot. Privately there is a lot of progress made, but not so much publicly right now.

OTP has to be gotten on 2.x though, and it will remain this way. So when the scene catches up everyone is still going to need to downgrade. Good news though is everyone including noobs like me have been downgrading fine. Seems like a very low brick risk if you just read correctly.

L.O.R.D

It's because arm9loaderhax runs prior to boot in a sense. Code is locked in before Nintendos boot code kicks in. The way we've had it so far is code running after Nintendos boot code, which produces the 3D bug as well as longer load times, and the occasional boot fail.

Using arm9 with any FW will have 3D working okay.

I'm in a pickle still though from the point of view that there is currently no way for me to create a new emunand or even run emunand9 to restore a sysnand/emunand backup. The only two public payloads are for rei on sysnand or rei on emunand. I'm forced to having to use the sysnand one and while it means my 3DS is working, I cannot run certain homebrew apps right now (mainly just the two apps that can restore backups - they kick you back to HBL as the rei payload runs 10.4 native firm, but I'm on 9.2).

Will be fixed soon enough. Basically, in terms of what we can do with arm9 right now there isn't much as devs need to catchup. If anyone goes to get their OTP file just go back to where you were before with emunand and menuhax until devs release more payloads. Payloads are the .bin files arm9loaderhax will load on boot. Privately there is a lot of progress made, but not so much publicly right now.

OTP has to be gotten on 2.x though, and it will remain this way. So when the scene catches up everyone is still going to need to downgrade. Good news though is everyone including noobs like me have been downgrading fine. Seems like a very low brick risk if you just read correctly.

so , anyone can use arm9loaderhax to load Rei on 9.2, right?
i am still trying to run ReiNAND but without success.

Audioboxer

so , anyone can use arm9loaderhax to load Rei on 9.2, right?
i am still trying to run ReiNAND but without success.

Yeah, there are two public payloads. Have you installed the arm9loaderhax.3dsx file then? This is the one that has to be compiled from your OTP.bin file. If you've not done that the arm9 hack isn't installed. As I said I would keep things that way for now.

Yeah boot time ~2 seconds more than normal. Back to sysnand 9.2 tonight or tomorrow most likely, devs have it working but not public as of yet

The scene is probably going to shift to the arm9loader, so we can just hope simpler ways come about to get the OTP (a9f.bin) file. Or at least less riskier downgrades, as it seems we'll always need to go to 2.x :/ Maybe they'll find a way to just use emunand on 2.1, which prevents anyone needing to tamper with sysnand.

Eh okay I won't bother for 2 seconds just yet, I read a few of your posts on GBATemp and wow your 3DS has quite the ride behind it but I'm glad you got everything working again! :D (Theoretically :p)

And yeah I hope OTP will get an easier way to get dumped sometimes.

L.O.R.D

Yeah, there are two public payloads. Have you installed the arm9loaderhax.3dsx file then? This is the one that has to be compiled from your OTP.bin file. If you've not done that the arm9 hack isn't installed. As I said I would keep things that way for now.

no,i didn't tallish arm9loaderhax.3dsx yet , so if i installed it without OTP.bin , it wont do much difference ?

can i just downgrade my emunand to 2.1 and get the OTP file from it?

Audioboxer

no,i didn't tallish arm9loaderhax.3dsx yet , so if i installed it without OTP.bin , it wont do much difference ?

That will brick your console. Even if you did manage to find a random arm9loaderhax.3dsx on the web, DO NOT USE IT.

It is correctly created by knowing how to compile from the source on that github with your OTP.bin file. Everyones .3dsx file is unique to them as it needs to have your one time password. I had someone on GBATemp create mine for me as I did not know how to compile from that source, even after reading the readme. I had to provide them with my OTP.bin file though.

Eh okay I won't bother for 2 seconds just yet, I read a few of your posts on GBATemp and wow your 3DS has quite the ride behind it but I'm glad you got everything working again! :D (Theoretically :p)

And yeah I hope OTP will get an easier way to get dumped sometimes.

It will provide much more than a faster bootrate, eventually.

The guide to downgrading to dump may become easier, but without a doubt a downgrade to 2.1 is going to be required. It is required on sysnand too, because by the time you boot into emunand with your sysnand 9.2 (or whatever it currently is >=9.2), Nintendos security has already made it impossible to subtract the OTP file. In other words a 9.2 sysnand, 2.1 emunand can never work. You have to be on >=2.x sysnand.

It will provide much more than a faster bootrate, eventually.

The guide to downgrading to dump may become easier, but without a doubt a downgrade to 2.1 is going to be required. It is required on sysnand too, because by the time you boot into emunand with your sysnand 9.2 (or whatever it currently is >=9.2), Nintendos security has already made it impossible to subtract the OTP file. In other words a 9.2 sysnand, 2.1 emunand can never work. You have to be on >=2.x sysnand.

Hmm okay alright, well I'll wait till the process is streamlined then and more benefits come up. I do feel up to the task, I just don't feel like messing with my "perfect" 3DS right now :p

Audioboxer

Hmm okay alright, well I'll wait till the process is streamlined then and more benefits come up. I do feel up to the task, I just don't feel like messing with my "perfect" 3DS right now :p

Yeah very little to gain right now. I would say doing the process to get your OTP.bin file is still worthwhile, and then going back to your current setup (not installing arm9loaderhax as of yet). However word is the guide/process is going to be made easier, even if downgrading it still required.

Just hold off everything for now.

max_505

When updating the emunand (running rxtools cfw) to 10.5 firmware, will it be like in reinand where I can just update from the Home menu>Settings>Other settings>System update? Or do I have to do some other stuff? And will that method work for both O3DS and N3DS?

Aeana

Hard?

loooooooooooool
The processes are easy, but I think it's hard to figure out what's what if you haven't been paying attention the whole time. It isn't obvious what each thing is good for, or which things are equivalent to each other, etc

People don't name their utilities in a useful way, and most guides are written in terrible language and with the assumption that the reader knows all kinds of things they may not. I spent several hours on Saturday just trying to sort through that.

Audioboxer

The processes are easy, but I think it's hard to figure out what's what if you haven't been paying attention the whole time. It isn't obvious what each thing is good for, or which things are equivalent to each other, etc

People don't name their utilities in a useful way, and most guides are written in terrible language and with the assumption that the reader knows all kinds of things they may not. I spent several hours on Saturday just trying to sort through that.

Yeah. Learning all the terminology takes a bit of time. Figuring out sysnand/emunand and what arm9/arm11 means.

It's still a bit janky currently as the system has to remain on 9.2. The CFWs have minor differences as well, some requiring hunting for files off-site.

Hopefully arm9loader blows everything open, when it matures. For anyone interested in my story I managed to get an arm9 bin which loads cakes FW on 9.2 using arm9/kernel 9.0. Basically it means decrypt9 and emunand9 can be ran on this arm9 setup. Trying to recreate my emunand right now. It also allows a sysnand backup to be restored prior to arm9loader being patched in. As until now there was no way to remove arm9loader unless you had a hard mod due to decrypt9 not booting.

It's still far safer to run an emunand with arm9loader as things stand. If you want to take sysnand up to 10.5 you have to manually install 10.5 cias in sysupdater, minus one (the native firm), and then manually install nativefirm CIA on first boot. If you run Nintendos FW updater from within 9.2 on arm9loader you WILL brick.

All of this should be ironed out in the weeks to come.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I figure making a new thread with someone who will actually update the OP would help.

Yeah very little to gain right now. I would say doing the process to get your OTP.bin file is still worthwhile, and then going back to your current setup (not installing arm9loaderhax as of yet). However word is the guide/process is going to be made easier, even if downgrading it still required.

Just hold off everything for now.

Well then, waiting sounds like a plan, I mean unlike downgrading the chance to get your OTP.bin won't slip away :)

Xeno_V

Your best bet is to use EmuNAND9 to dump your EmuNAND, transfer everything on your SD card (including EmuNAND.bin) to your PC,
go through the process of setting up EmuNAND on your new card, transfer everything back from the PC to the new card, and use EmuNAND9 to inject your previously dumped EmuNAND.bin to your newly created EmuNAND partition.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.
I am wondering though, will the EmuNAND tool get the same job done? From what I understand it allows me to extract the NAND backup that I have in my current SD card and inject it into a new SD card... Then I can just copy/paste all other files from one card to another... or am I missing something?

Mashers put together a great introduction for new users btw: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sysnand-emunand-cfw-and-pasta-a-visual-guide.415170/

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.
I am wondering though, will the EmuNAND tool get the same job done? From what I understand it allows me to extract the NAND backup that I have in my current SD card and inject it into a new SD card... Then I can just copy/paste all other files from one card to another... or am I missing something?

Yeah, that'll do it.

The most important thing to remember is that your SD data is tied to whatever NAND created it. Assuming your SysNAND dump is the base for your EmuNAND (which it should be if you dumped it prior to setting up EmuNAND), you should be fine using that dump. I recommend using an up-to-date EmuNAND dump.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Guys, how does buying themes work when you have emuNAND? I'm imagining if I buy it on emuNAND it won't be on my sysNAND and vice versa. I really want that Steven Stone theme.

RedShift

Is NinjaHax still pretty much guaranteed to let me permanently access homebrew on n3DS no matter what firmware updates I install?

I can't really be bothered with all the downgrading stuff (and all my games are digital and I don't want to lose access to them), so I'd probably be willing to drop ~£50 or whatever just to get safe future proof GBA/SNES emulation.

Rich!

Oh yes, totally agreed.

I can understand the confusion to begin with, but getting homebrew up and running is easy, especially with a community like this to help.

Just dismissing it immediately in such a way he did is just a bit sad - of course, I reacted probably in a bad way - when he comes back, I'll be happy to help.

OP needs revising.

Is NinjaHax still pretty much guaranteed to let me permanently access homebrew on n3DS no matter what firmware updates I install?

I can't really be bothered with all the downgrading stuff (and all my games are digital and I don't want to lose access to them), so I'd probably be willing to drop ~£50 or whatever just to get safe future proof GBA/SNES emulation.

99% sure it will, as long as people keep updating the payloads for it (which they will).

The company that made Cubic Ninja doesn't even exist anymore, as far as I know, so the exploit's there and there's not a lot Nintendo can do about it, short of completely locking out the game.

If I buy a physical copy of Fire Emblem Fates Conquest will I be able to play it on a 10.1 N3DS (themehax)?

Went and looked for the game on 3DSdb, but it's not there yet (I didn't realize it wasn't out yet; never played any FE!)

General consensus seems to be that it'll ship with a firmware lower than 10.3, though.

The current highest firmware on a cart seems to be 9.9 as far as I can tell? At least that's what some of the recent high-profile games have.

Anyhow, if you're just planning using userland stuff, it doesn't really matter since you can still get all that running on 10.5, even. If you're holding out for a downgrade, well, no guarentees, but you should be fine.

Has Nintendo banned anyone for playing digital games that never came out in that form?

I managed to get a copy of the fire emblem fates CE, but I'm having second thoughts because I want to dump it and not have to take the cartridge around, but I don't really want to risk getting my console banned if they somehow notice I'm playing a digital game that shouldn't exist. I don't know if I should just roll with it or just take advantage of the Best Buy deal for all the campaigns in digital form.

Has Nintendo banned anyone for playing digital games that never came out in that form?

I managed to get a copy of the fire emblem fates CE, but I'm having second thoughts because I want to dump it and not have to take the cartridge around, but I don't really want to risk getting my console banned if they somehow notice I'm playing a digital game that shouldn't exist. I don't know if I should just roll with it or just take advantage of the Best Buy deal for all the campaigns in digital form.
no. I play Ridge Racer and dumped my copy of Tales of the Abyss and have been online while playing them. Nothing will happen

Mifec

Are all 2DS' still guaranteed to come with 9.2 or lower? I'm looking at the transparent ones no games included. Heard only the yo kai watch ones with a higher firmwire.

Seronei

Are all 2DS' still guaranteed to come with 9.2 or lower? I'm looking at the transparent ones no games included. Heard only the yo kai watch ones with a higher firmwire.

I think pretty much all of them are significantly lower than 9.2. Never heard of one coming with higher (although I'd imagine the Pokemon Blue/red ones might).

Although I haven't exactly looked around for info about this so.

Mifec

I think pretty much all of them are significantly lower than 9.2. Never heard of one coming with higher (although I'd imagine the Pokemon Blue/red ones might).

Well then I'm joining the club tomorrow :3

Thank you very much for the reply.

Madao

homebrew being a bit hard to get running isn't that bad, especially for the platform holder.

it ensures the amount of people into it is low since your average joe, which is the most likely to pirate going by how last gen went for portables, won't be able to pirate on 3DS and only the smallest hardcore minority will get into it.

the hardest thing is finding the correct guide to set up. i found one and could get emunand running on my first try. only stumbled in one step where i needed to look for a different version of a downgrader program. things went pretty good by doing all steps.

also, imo it's better to use a secondary unit for this. this is where going physical becomes an advantage since you can run your games on your homebrew unit for stuff like save backup and stuff like that and on your main machine for online if you want to be 100% foolproof.

Audioboxer

AuReiNand has been updated to 3.4 and has official support for arm9loader - https://github.com/AuroraWright/AuReiNand/releases (firms needed are here https://github.com/AuroraWright/AuReiNand)

You can now boot into emunand as default, but holding L or L&R on bootup will put you into sysnand (L uses default firmware.bin, so kernel 10.2/10.4, and L&R uses firmware.bin 9.0 for compatibility with apps that need a <= 9.2 kernel). Apps that do are notably emunand9 and decrypt9.

This is good progress as arm9loader cannot currently have a bootloader as the screen doesn't work during boot, but simple button presses make that a non-issue.

Lettuce

So its now possible to use AuReiNand on an O3DS XL system?.

Is there a guide anywhere as atm i have RXtools/menuhax on my O3DS XL system, is it just a case of copy the files over to the SD card or do i need to downgrade and re-apply the cfw??

Spike

Can someone please provide links to downgrade and cfw installation guides for a n3dsXL on 10.3?

I want to be able to play GBA games on the system and load a couple of my games so I don't have to keep carrying along carts with me. If I ever buy into the NX, I'm considering going all digital.

lord

Can someone please provide links to downgrade and cfw installation guides for a n3dsXL on 10.3?

I want to be able to play GBA games on the system and load a couple of my games so I don't have to keep carrying along carts with me. If I ever buy into the NX, I'm considering going all digital.
i used this one to downgrade: https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/

Remember you need to have an entry point to Homebrew Launcher before doing this.

After you get that done, I used this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJezO56ILjY to setup CFW

Anyone knows what the best resource to start writing software for the 3DS? I'm feeling like flexing my rusty C++ muscles a bit.

This arm9loader stuff is confusing me. Is it a completely new direction, something totally different from most people's current set up (menuhax -> bootctr -> cfw / hbl) ?
Where in the boot process does arm9 come into action? Even before the real sysnand firmware does?
I understand it can be used to boot into cfw. But what about 'normal' homebrew that comes in .3dsx format? Will the homebrew launcher still work, or will it require a new way to launch homebrew apps?

Top Bottom