• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Lettuce

This arm9loader stuff is confusing me. Is it a completely new direction, something totally different from most people's current set up (menuhax -> bootctr -> cfw / hbl) ?
Where in the boot process does arm9 come into action? Even before the real sysnand firmware does?
I understand it can be used to boot into cfw. But what about 'normal' homebrew that comes in .3dsx format? Will the homebrew launcher still work, or will it require a new way to launch homebrew apps?

Yeah im confused to, the Arm9LoaderHax path is hardware rather than software right?. I know that this method fixes the 3D bug that happens so will remove the need to have to close the 3ds and reopen it again. I was going to use Arm9LoaderHax on my o3ds system but then remember the 3D bug doesnt effect o3ds systems just n3ds systems, so what is the actual advantage of Arm9LoaderHax over say the new AuReiNand method?

As Arm9LoaderHax seems like a lot of effort as you have to downgrade to 2.x to get the OTP info from your 3ds system in order to use Arm9LoaderHax in the first place, so whats the benefit.

Oh and btw AuReiNand 3.5 has just been released

Robin64

It is a lot of effort, and quite dangerous right now, but the end result is that your 3DS just boots into custom firmware. It doesn't need to load up normally, run a hax, wait a minute, then load emunand.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It is a lot of effort, and quite dangerous right now, but the end result is that your 3DS just boots into custom firmware. It doesn't need to load up normally, run a hax, wait a minute, then load emunand.

It sounds really sweet, but I'll wait until a more stable solution is offered. Especially considering how much tinkering you need to do on a N3DS. Until then, my emuNAND will do the trick just fine.

L.O.R.D

fire emblem fates N3DSXL frameware is 10.3

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/46khiz/for_those_wondering_about_fire_emblem_3ds_xl/

IMG_0295.jpg

2H4Z28e.jpg

and OTP

2dd.jpg

Joey Ravn

Banned
Dammit. Stop posting cool pictures :p

What's the best tutorial available for the OTP stuff? I'm really tempted right now and my weekend is shaping up to be pretty boring... ;)

Sorry for bugging everyone, but because of Fire Emblem Fates, I'm now forced to finally install the homebrew stuff for my n3DS. which is on 9.9.0. I haven't done anything yet, partially due to anxiety that I'd mess something up and partially because I'm not completely sure where to start. What do I need to do to to have access to the eShop and keep my current FW (or even downgrade it to 9.2 at a later date)? I'm assuming that going through Browserhax is the best way to go about it. Once I get to the HB Launcher, what next?

Lettuce

How on earth do you compile arm9loader, i have my OTP.bin file now but not sure how to compile it all to work with AuReiNand??

Hi everyone. I am very new to this homebrew/exploit scene and I ran into trouble creating custom firmware. I am using this guide http://pastebin.com/EBKipkPW. I am stuck on line 167.When I start my 3ds up holding L I enter CTRBootManager but am not able to enter rxtools. Not sure what to do and feeling like a failure lol. Can anyone help me out?

fester

Banned
Ugh, I just can't work up the nerve to pull the trigger and attempt a downgrade. I'm trying to be content with having an n3DS on 10.1 and access to retroarch via menuhax, but I'm annoyed not having eshop access. I'm still not seeing this as a bulletproof process and the thought of spending hours and hours trying to fix a botched job fills me with dread. Dammit...

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Ugh, I just can't work up the nerve to pull the trigger and attempt a downgrade. I'm trying to be content with having an n3DS on 10.1 and access to retroarch via menuhax, but I'm annoyed not having eshop access. I'm still not seeing this as a bulletproof process and the thought of spending hours and hours trying to fix a botched job fills me with dread. Dammit...

Downgrading to 9.8? It's not hard, just do it.

Hi everyone. I am very new to this homebrew/exploit scene and I ran into trouble creating custom firmware. I am using this guide http://pastebin.com/EBKipkPW. I am stuck on line 167.When I start my 3ds up holding L I enter CTRBootManager but am not able to enter rxtools. Not sure what to do and feeling like a failure lol. Can anyone help me out?

Is the the boot manager that isn't working or is it that there is no option to select rxtools?
If it's the latter, do you have the homebrew .3dsx for rxtools in your sd card?

Giever

I mean, you're right. It's not a bulletproof process. A lot of people have hard/soft-bricked their devices. You just have to decide whether or not you want to take the plunge, make absolutely sure you have the right files, and go for it.

MikeDip

I mean, you're right. It's not a bulletproof process. A lot of people have hard/soft-bricked their devices. You just have to decide whether or not you want to take the plunge, make absolutely sure you have the right files, and go for it.

To 9.8? There's basically no risk there if you follow the instructions. Worst case you have to upgrade to 10.5

Is the the boot manager that isn't working or is it that there is no option to select rxtools?
If it's the latter, do you have the homebrew .3dsx for rxtools in your sd card?

Thank you. The problem was no rxtools.3dsx file. But now when I run rxtools I get an error saying "Failed to load NATIVE_FIRM: 5" lol
edit: nvm

Giever

To 9.8? There's basically no risk there if you follow the instructions. Worst case you have to upgrade to 10.5

I assumed he was downgrading to 9.2. I don't see him anywhere saying he was considering going to 9.8, unless it's on an earlier page or I'm missing something, which could very well be the case!

No the eshop spoofer doesn't work anymore

That's unfortunate. Looking back at the OP, I somehow overlooked the fact that it said eshop access only works on 9.0-9.2. Oops. <_< I'll probably wait until tomorrow to do anything with that.

That said, do you know if 9.9 is easier to downgrade over 10.3? I want to play the new Fire Emblem game, but it wants me to be at 10.3. I guess I can use the OG3DS that I have and update it to that while I figure out this thing for my n3DS, but I have a DLC code for the game that I bought along side it when I went to Best Buy, which is why I was wondering if I would be able to have eShop access.

I guess I would need to downgrade to get to the eShop. =/ Didn't want to do that yet if I had the option.

I would try to attempt to downgrade my OG3DS if I could, but the L and R buttons no longer work at all. Too many things need those buttons.

MikeDip

I assumed he was downgrading to 9.2. I don't see him anywhere saying he was considering going to 9.8, unless it's on an earlier page or I'm missing something, which could very well be the case!
Bleh I did mean 9.2! Mixed up my versions, my bad.

Damn my memory :(

pahamrick

That's unfortunate. Looking back at the OP, I somehow overlooked the fact that it said eshop access only works on 9.0-9.2. Oops. <_< I'll probably wait until tomorrow to do anything with that.

That said, do you know if 9.9 is easier to downgrade over 10.3? I want to play the new Fire Emblem game, but it wants me to be at 10.3. I guess I can use the OG3DS that I have and update it to that while I figure out this thing for my n3DS, but I have a DLC code for the game that I bought along side it when I went to Best Buy, which is why I was wondering if I would be able to have eShop access.

I guess I would need to downgrade to get to the eShop. =/ Didn't want to do that yet if I had the option.

I would try to attempt to downgrade my OG3DS if I could, but the L and R buttons no longer work at all. Too many things need those buttons.

Its generally advised to downgrade from 10.3. I've seen lots of reports of soft bricks when downgrading from 9.9.

Lettuce

I had to ask someone on GBAtemp to do it for me.

Yeah someones complied it for me also. Have a question, as i have rxtools/menuhax on my o3ds system before hand should i keep the 'menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin' on the root of my sd card whilst running the 'arm9loaderhax.3dsx' through mini pasta or replace it with the arm9loaderhx.bin file?

Audioboxer

Yeah someones complied it for me also. Have a question, as i have rxtools/menuhax on my o3ds system before hand should i keep the 'menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin' on the root of my sd card whilst running the 'arm9loaderhax.3dsx' through mini pasta or replace it with the arm9loaderhx.bin file?

Menuhax isn't needed anymore. arm9loaderhax.3dsx can be ran through sysnand via HBL (I used browserhax). Pasta isn't needed.

You need to have your arm9loaderhax.bin file and reinand on your sdcard before running the hack. If you have nothing setup and run it you will be left with a black boot screen until you add the files to your sdcard.

Rxtools does not work with arm9loader yet. On an O3DS you need to use Reinand Mod - https://gbatemp.net/threads/reinand-mod-o3ds-n3ds-sysnand.411110/

Lettuce

Menuhax isn't needed anymore. arm9loaderhax.3dsx can be ran through sysnand via HBL (I used browserhax). Pasta isn't needed.

You need to have your arm9loaderhax.bin file and reinand on your sdcard before running the hack. If you have nothing setup and run it you will be left with a black boot screen until you add the files to your sdcard.

Rxtools does not work with arm9loader yet. On an O3DS you need to use Reinand Mod - https://gbatemp.net/threads/reinand-mod-o3ds-n3ds-sysnand.411110/

Yeah ive used the AuReiNand method. The person who complied arm9loaderhax gave me a zip file with the following files/folders to copy to the root of my sd card....

rei
3ds
ReiNand.dat
boot.3dsx
arm9loaderhax.bin
arm9loaderhax.9dsx

only issue is when i start up my o3ds with these file on the sd card i get a error message on thew bottom screen...

An error has occurred.
Hold down the Power Button to turn of the power, then turn it on and try again.

but if i leave my 'menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin' file on the sd card it boots into the homebrew launcher.

PS. I would have thought if you dont load pasta before loading the arm9loaderhax.3dsx via the homebrew launcher, you would apply arm9loaderhax.3dsx to the sysnand??

Audioboxer

Yeah ive used the AuReiNand method. The person who complied arm9loaderhax gave me a zip file with the following files/folders to copy to the root of my sd card....

rei
3ds
ReiNand.dat
boot.3dsx
arm9loaderhax.bin
arm9loaderhax.9dsx

only issue is when i start up my o3ds with these file on the sd card i get a error message on thew bottom screen...

An error has occurred.
Hold down the Power Button to turn of the power, then turn it on and try again.

but if i leave my 'menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin' file on the sd card it boots into the homebrew launcher.

PS. I would have thought if you dont load pasta before loading the arm9loaderhax.3dsx via the homebrew launcher, you would apply arm9loaderhax.3dsx to the sysnand??

He's probably given you Reinand which only works on N3DS. Reinand Mod is needed for O3DS. Download Reinand Mod, download the firms.zip on Reinand Mod github (can't link directly here). Take rei-O3DS and rename it to rei and copy that to your sd card with the 3ds folder, arm9loaderhax.bin and reinand.dat. In the firms.zip take rei-O3DS and again rename to rei, or just copy the files inside it, to rei on your sd card.

arm9loader only gets applied to the sysnand, no need to apply it to emunand. Think of it as a permanent menuhax in a sense. It needs to go into the sysnand where it then gets ran on bootup and does whatever your arm9loaderhax.bin file is for.

Rich!

downgrading my n3ds to 2.whatever for the otp code. wish me luck

just gotta go through an hour of backing up shit first

Lettuce

He's probably given you Reinand which only works on N3DS. Reinand Mod is needed for O3DS. Download Reinand Mod, download the firms.zip on Reinand Mod github (can't link directly here). Take rei-O3DS and rename it to rei and copy that to your sd card with the 3ds folder, arm9loaderhax.bin and reinand.dat. In the firms.zip take rei-O3DS and again rename to rei, or just copy the files inside it, to rei on your sd card.

arm9loader only gets applied to the sysnand, no need to apply it to emunand. Think of it as a permanent menuhax in a sense. It needs to go into the sysnand where it then gets ran on bootup and does whatever your arm9loaderhax.bin file is for.

Thanks for the info, a question though, whats the point of copying the 'rei-o3ds' folder from the Reinand Mod zip file and renaming and placing on the root of the sd card, just to replace these file from the 'rei-o3ds' folder found in the FIRMs.zip, as they all get overwriten!??. Dont you just need to rename the rei-o3ds folder to 'rei' from the FIRMs zip file and place that on the root of the sd card, rather than the rei-o3ds folder found in ReiNand Mod zip file?

Btw im still getting the error message when booting the o3ds system, do i need to hold down the L button when booting so it boots into sysnand, and then load the HBL through QR code and then load arm9loaderhax.3dsx through HBL??. This is what my sd card looks like atm....

7BPBQ3w.jpg

Audioboxer

Thanks for the info, a question though, whats the point of copying the 'rei-o3ds' folder from the Reinand Mod zip file and renaming and placing on the root of the sd card, just to replace these file from the 'rei-o3ds' folder found in the FIRMs.zip, as they all get overwriten!??. Dont you just need to rename the rei-o3ds folder to 'rei' from the FIRMs zip file and place that on the root of the sd card, rather than the rei-o3ds folder found in ReiNand Mod zip file?

They don't all get overwritten on N3DS. Maybe on O3DS they do. Don't worry if that's the case. Just replace them with whatever is in rei-o3ds in the firms zip folder.

I want to do it too but I am scared :(

I was "one of the first" to do it publicly once it was made available. I went into it with the mindset I'd just install a hard mod if I bricked :p The good news though is lots of people have now done it okay. Really all you need to be aware of is hex editing the file correctly, which honestly isn't hard as it's just copy/paste.

I think the guide has been updated now to make things simpler.

Audioboxer

Btw im still getting the error message when booting the o3ds system, do i need to hold down the L button when booting so it boots into sysnand, and then load the HBL through QR code and then load arm9loaderhax.3dsx through HBL??. This is what my sd card looks like atm....

7BPBQ3w.jpg

You haven't installed armloaderhax.3dsx yet? That needs to be installed before any of this will work.

By the way has your sysnand been restored back to 9.2 (and emunand 10.5 or w/e your emunand was)? You've not still got it on 2.1 have you?

Lettuce

You haven't installed armloaderhax.3dsx yet? That needs to be installed before any of this will work.

By the way has your sysnand been restored back to 9.2 (and emunand 10.5 or w/e your emunand was)? You've not still got it on 2.1 have you?

No havent installed armloaderhax.3dsx yet (guess i shouldnt place the armloaderhax.3dsx in the root?)

My sysnand is back on 9.2 now and when i was using rxtool/menuhax i was on emunand 10.3

Should i be booting this system in sysnand not emunand to install armloaderhax.3dsx via HBL??, in which case that might be why im getting the error message as its trying to boot into emunand and because i dont have armloaderhax.3dsx installed yet thats why im getting that error message, in which case i should boot the system with the L buytton held down to boot into sysnand???

Audioboxer

No havent installed armloaderhax.3dsx yet (guess i shouldnt place the armloaderhax.3dsx in the root?)

My sysnand is back on 9.2 now and when i was using rxtool/menuhax i was on emunand 10.3

Should i be booting this system in sysnand not emunand to install armloaderhax.3dsx via HBL??, in which case that might be why im getting the error message as its trying to boot into emunand and because i dont have armloaderhax.3dsx installed yet thats why im getting that error message, in which case i should boot the system with the L buytton held down to boot into sysnand???

Try holding down L but I don't think it will work. You need to go into sysnand and install that 3dsx file. It doesn't matter where it is on your SD card it does nothing as file.

Right now your 3ds should just be booting into sysnand automatically as there's no hax entry points installed. Unless you have menuhax installed in your sysnand in which case you'll need to restore your menuhax files. I think you do hence that error. Are you still getting the flashing screens on boot?

Lettuce

Try holding down L but I don't think it will work. You need to go into sysnand and install that 3dsx file. It doesn't matter where it is on your SD card it does nothing as file.

Right now your 3ds should just be booting into sysnand automatically as there's no hax entry points installed. Unless you have menuhax installed in your sysnand in which case you'll need to restore your menuhax files. I think you do hence that error. Are you still getting the flashing screens on boot?

All i get is the garbled top screen and then i get the error message, no flashing blue and red lower screen.

So i should just copy back over the menuhax folder and 'menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin' file to the root of the sd card and boot into HBL that way?

Audioboxer

All i get is the garbled top screen and then i get the error message, no flashing blue and red lower screen.

So i should just copy back over the menuhax folder and 'menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin' file to the root of the sd card and boot into HBL that way?

Yeah you still have menuhax installed in sysNAND. You'll need to copy your menuhax files and payload back over. Once you're back in sysnand change your theme once to remove menuhax and install the arm9loaderhax.3dsx file.

Robin64

I want to use the Dreamcast theme in emunand, but when I switch to it, menuhax no longer works when I boot the console back up. What do?

Lettuce

Yeah you still have menuhax installed in sysNAND. You'll need to copy your menuhax files and payload back over. Once you're back in sysnand change your theme once to remove menuhax and install the arm9loaderhax.3dsx file.

Ive managed to install it now. I didnt copy menuhax back over, all i did was held down L button on boot up and it booted into system nand, i then loaded HBL via QR code and then loaded up arm9loaderhax.3dsx and install the expliot. It now boots to 10.3.0-28E!!

Should it mention Rei or arm9 in from of the fw in settings as its list listed as 10.3.0-28E??

Is it safe for me to update to 10.5 via the update system in the settings menu on the o3ds itself?, or do i need to update another way??

Audioboxer

I want to use the Dreamcast theme in emunand, but when I switch to it, menuhax no longer works when I boot the console back up. What do?

Your nands must be linked?

Menuhax should only break if you change the theme under sysnand. You'll need to unlink them.

Ive managed to install it now. I didnt copy menuhax back over, all i did was held down L button on boot up and it booted into system nand, i then loaded HBL via QR code and then loaded up arm9loaderhax.3dsx and install the expliot. It now boots to 10.3.0-28E!!

Should it mention Rei or arm9 in from of the fw in settings as its list listed as 10.3.0-28E??

Is it safe for me to update to 10.5 via the update system in the settings menu on the o3ds itself?, or do i need to update another way??

Rei mod doesn't put a string before version. You can update via system update.

Lettuce

Rei mod doesn't put a string before version. You can update via system update.

Thanks for your help man!!!, much appropriated!!

One more thing though. What the deal with the "Updated sysNAND" mode?, what benefit is it to update my sysnand form 9.2 to 10.5 if im always going to be using emunand??, and why would you want to boot with the 9.0 FIRM ??

Rich!

Oh for fucks sake

Got up to stage two of the otp guide. Formatted via tinyformat. Boot into HBL on reinand 10.5. FBI does not work. How am I supposed to install CIAs on this with no method?

Help

Do I need to use reinand mod?

Top Bottom