• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

PCless hack for 3DS in less then 50 seconds

https://streamable.com/cbtq2

holy shit, you don't need to put anything in the 3DS SD card, all the necessary files are injected into the NTRboot cart.
the limit for the files is 4mb.

after that, it's done, you don't need to unscrew your N3DS screws ever for hacks.

3DS software that was used:

GodMode9 v1.4.3 w/ autorun script, preloaded VRAM0 & built-in AESKeys
ZIP3DSFX v0.6
NTRBoot_Flasher v0.3.0
FBI
Homebrew Launcher
Sorta. Assuming you can use FTP well enough, and provided B9S doesn't get updated again... still ridiculous I spent about 3 hours hacking mine from stock to CFW in 2016, my old 3DS had Ninjhax though day one, good times for about a month.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

PCless hack for 3DS in less then 50 seconds

https://streamable.com/cbtq2

holy shit, you don't need to put anything in the 3DS SD card, all the necessary files are injected into the NTRboot cart.
the limit for the files is 4mb.

after that, it's done, you don't need to unscrew your N3DS screws ever for hacks.

3DS software that was used:

GodMode9 v1.4.3 w/ autorun script, preloaded VRAM0 & built-in AESKeys
ZIP3DSFX v0.6
NTRBoot_Flasher v0.3.0
FBI
Homebrew Launcher

Awesome, was planning on hacking my wife's 11.4 but this looks to be much faster so I'll just wait it out a little longer.

L.O.R.D

Awesome, was planning on hacking my wife's 11.4 but this looks to be much faster so I'll just wait it out a little longer.

you have to compile the files your self, but maybe someone will upload his injection file soon for everyone.

but this is not really necessary, you can hack your 3DS in less then 15 minutes without this tool.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I remember around a year ago, when I helped a friend over Skype to hack his O3DS. Holy shit, what a clusterfuck! Downgrading, getting the OTP, updating, restoring the NAND...

Kids these days have it way too easy :p

L.O.R.D

I remember around a year ago, when I helped a friend over Skype to hack his O3DS. Holy shit, what a clusterfuck! Downgrading, getting the OTP, updating, restoring the NAND...

Kids these days have it way too easy :p

9 hours to install emunand, and when A9LH came i was scared to do it like many people so i kept using menuhax with files that rise the success chance rate.

Reki

Followed 3ds.guide a few days ago with a stock 3DS. The proccess was pretty painless and everything looks identical to how it was before, but I've been wondering about two things that I can't find answers to;
- Can I play the Badge Arcade without risking a ban? I don't want to use those tricks to get all the badges or infinite plays btw, just to play normally.
- A few guides about dumping your cartridges with GodMode instruct you to choose the "trim" file. Does that mean that the game is incomplete or compressed in some way? Is it related to the encryption? Why wouldn't you dump the other file?

That's it for now, thanks in advance!

Followed 3ds.guide a few days ago with a stock 3DS. The proccess was pretty painless and everything looks identical to how it was before, but I've been wondering about two things that I can't find answers to;
- Can I play the Badge Arcade without risking a ban? I don't want to use those tricks to get all the badges or infinite plays btw, just to play normally.
- A few guides about dumping your cartridges with GodMode instruct you to choose the "trim" file. Does that mean that the game is incomplete or compressed in some way? Is it related to the encryption? Why wouldn't you dump the other file?

In so much as its safe to do anything on line yes. You only get Badge Arcade bans if you cheat.

It means the dump lacks the "padding" used to fill the empty space on the cartridge. A couple of games (notably Pokemon) save to this location when used from a cartridge. However if you're dumping it, it can be assumed you're going to use an emulator or build a CIA , and CIA versions always save to a per game file on the SD card. So there's no reason to dump an untrimmed cart except for archival purposes (you can reconstruct the padding simply by adding 0s or garbage bytes to the appropriate length so nothing is lost from a practical perspective).

Reki

In so much as its safe to do anything on line yes. You only get Badge Arcade bans if you cheat.

It means the dump lacks the "padding" used to fill the empty space on the cartridge. A couple of games (notably Pokemon) save to this location when used from a cartridge. However if you're dumping it, it can be assumed you're going to use an emulator or build a CIA , and CIA versions always save to a per game file on the SD card. So there's no reason to dump an untrimmed cart except for archival purposes (you can reconstruct the padding simply by adding 0s or garbage bytes to the appropriate length so nothing is lost from a practical perspective).

I see. Thank you!

I'm wanting to do this on my new 3ds.

anything I need to be concerned about. I bricked a system using the dsi transfer method a long time ago.

Do I need to worry about bans if I'm dumping my own carts or is that only pirated cias and whatnot

Console specific so far. We still have no idea what causes it (it was fairly random, like even in a poll to determine the cause only ~50% were affected, which is much less than you'd expect since polls like that tend to get disproportionate attention from people who were affected) and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it (unless some of the reportees were lying), the major theory was proven wrong because that information isn't sent online. Some people thought there'd be a second wave but there wasn't, no one has been banned for inexplicable reasons since. So in summary ???.

what are these bans?

do they affect your already purchased games offline and do they affect other nintendo consoles (switch?)

L.O.R.D

Badge Arcade ban only happen if you cheat, and cheating was dead in this game since gateway is dead
the only way to find the real address for the count was using gateway, and with gateway dead now, you can't find the address anymore.

what are these bans?

do they affect your already purchased games offline and do they affect other nintendo consoles (switch?)

this is just online ban, you still can enter the eshop and buy and download all you games, you just can't play online in games like super smash and monster hunter and other games, and friend list is also banned so you can't view who is online.

Badge Arcade ban only happen if you cheat, and cheating was dead in this game since gateway is dead
the only way to find the real address for the count was using gateway, and with gateway dead now, you can't find the address anymore.

this is just online ban, you still can enter the eshop and buy and download all you games, you just can't play online in games like super smash and monster hunter and other games, and friend list is also banned so you can't view who is online.

It's technically still possible to cheat using the PC connection and debugger IIRC, it's just that its not even remotely worthwhile for most people.

Is there a way to play around with cheats in VC games or 3DS games (not going online. just want to be able to unlock levels since I lost my 3d land save back when I tried to do a system transfer and failed)

L.O.R.D

With the latest retroarch can anybody see icons for the following emulators?

fuse
np2kai (nightly only)

I install them using FBI but they don't show in titles or as icons on the home screen?

edit: figured it out, they're all using the same ID ask RetroArch configuration stub so they overwrite it.

you have to get the cores your self, some emulators works better then retroarch in my opinion, what emulator you want to use?

use FBI titleDB and find the emulator from there, then you can download it faster.

GBA, Super Nintendo, Genesis, NES, and TG-16

I know I can do injections on the first two but I need the ability to use cheats at some games :p

L.O.R.D

GBA, Super Nintendo, Genesis, NES, and TG-16

I know I can do injections on the first two but I need the ability to use cheats at some games :p
mGBA for gba
Snes9x snes
Picodrive or Genesis plus for Genesis games.

There is several emulators in FBI database you can try.
Maybe you can inject SNES games and backup the save and use the save on emulator on PC then cheat then return it to 3DS?

Feffe

So, Asdolo -the great guy behind the Injectors- is beta testing a New Super Ultimate Injector. Among other things, it fixes some long-standing issues:
- Every GBA games can now save
- You can increase the volume of SNES games injected into the official VC emulator

It also adds the option to use Retroarch forwarder for lots of system, including GB/C. So you can emulate your favourite GB game with Gambatte Retroarch core.

Now things get interested here, because using Gambatte you get the option to colorize your GB game using the palette Nintendo included within the GBC
https://tcrf.net/Notes:Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM

Asdolo also added the option to display a custom image on the bottom screen (and he fixed the audio bug and the suspended-status bug from the official RA too!)

This is what you can get!

M2AS.jpg

It was a quick job using a resized version of this map. Someone more skilled than me can surely do something better. The point is, we can play the original Metroid 2 in color with a map!

Something similar can also be done with NES/Famicom games! The 3DS really is the ultimate machine for old games :)

Kadin

So, Asdolo -the great guy behind the Injectors- is beta testing a New Super Ultimate Injector. Among other things, it fixes some long-standing issues:
- Every GBA games can now save
- You can increase the volume of SNES games injected into the official VC emulator

It also adds the option to use Retroarch forwarder for lots of system, including GB/C. So you can emulate your favourite GB game with Gambatte Retroarch core.

Now things get interested here, because using Gambatte you get the option to colorize your GB game using the palette Nintendo included within the GBC
https://tcrf.net/Notes:Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM

Asdolo also added the option to display a custom image on the bottom screen (and he fixed the audio bug and the suspended-status bug from the official RA too!)

This is what you can get!

It was a quick job using a resized version of this map. Someone more skilled than me can surely do something better. The point is, we can play the original Metroid 2 in color with a map!

Something similar can also be done with NES/Famicom games! The 3DS really is the ultimate machine for old games :)
One thing I've never really known but assume I'm correct here, does injecting games basically mean you can take any ROM for said system and 'inject' it into a known working VC game and make it play that instead? I thought each VC title had its own unique emulator made for it which is where I'm a little lost here.

Feffe

I'm interested if this new version uses VC for MegaDrive/Genesis games? Or does it use RetroArch?

I want it to play some Japanese MD golf games.
It uses Retroarch, since Sega never released MD games on 3DS VC.
One thing I've never really known but assume I'm correct here, does injecting games basically mean you can take any ROM for said system and 'inject' it into a known working VC game and make it play that instead? I thought each VC title had its own unique emulator made for it which is where I'm a little lost here.
Wii had a tweaked emulator for every game, 3DS and Wii U use the same emulator for every game. Sometimes it's tweaked with a ini file (N64 Wii U game). The only exception are NES games: there's there's different emulator for each mapper, I believe. And of course some special chip SNES games have their ad hoc emulator.
Anyway, for GB/C and SNES games without special chip the official Nintendo emulator works most of the case.

Anyone interest in a discord ? I know I got some help here and like to think I helped some people ? Or maybe we should set a general console / portable homebrew discord ?

Thoughts ?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Anyone interest in a discord ? I know I got some help here and like to think I helped some people ? Or maybe we should set a general console / portable homebrew discord ?

Thoughts ?

I wouldn't go and start other forums or Discords when there's something coming in the near future. Let's just hold on and wait until it's done :)

(There's always the 3D Shacks subreddit, if others want to continue talking about 3Dshacking outside of GAF)

SS4Rob

I cannot play Metroid: Samus Returns as I'm getting prompted to upgrade to 11.4, and I'd prefer to not install CFW to not worry about bans and updating. My New 3DS is on 11.1.0-31U, and I use either Soundhax or OOT3D as my entry points. I watched this video and he was able to launch Metroid despite his older firmware:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vqQNLJUwbQ
Just like in the video, I tried the Region Free Launcher on HBL 1.1.1, and I just updated to HBL 2.0 now using Hans, and neither worked - both just froze at a red or black screen. I know Hans works, as it launches my Japanese Monster Hunter 4 game card just fine. I haven't dabbled in homebrew in quite a while, so I'm hoping I don't need to go through the entire 3ds.guide process. What am I missing that is different than the video? Thanks for any help.

Dave_9200

Neo Member
Hi, I'm a noob when comes to homebrews, but recently I've bought a R4i sdhc 3ds rts, I've 11.4.0 firmware on my 3ds and I'm following 3ds.guide for ntrboothax. When I transfer the homebrew files on the flashcart the only thing that I see on my screen is that :

Can someone help me please?

At what point in the process do you see that screen?

To me that screen seems to be saying it can't find the menu file? Are you sure you've loaded on the correct files onto the SD card in the correct places?

Ensure your flashcart is able to launch .nds files on your device before beginning. Some flashcarts may require firmware or “kernel” files to be copied to the flashcart SD card. Consult your specific flashcart’s instructions for more information.

You may need to try changing the date on your 3DS back? Apparently your cart has a "time bomb" that means it stops working properly after a certain date.

Dave_9200

Neo Member
To me that even send to be saying it can't find the menu file or app? Are you sure you've loaded on the correct ds_ntrboot_flasher_dsi.nds file in the correct places?

You may need to try changing the date on your 3DS back? Apparently your cart has a "time bomb" that means it stops working properly after a certain date.

I've tried to change the 3ds date (2009) and I think I've loaded correctly the files in the flashcart's sd root.
Actually I've uploaded these files

Have you successfully booted the R4 for any purpose?

You need to make sure those menu files are the correct ones. There are so many R4 variations out there and some need different software.

Dave_9200

Neo Member
Thank you for the support, apparently the issue was the micro sd, I've tried with a samsung microsd and successfully installed the cfw. Thank you again for the help :)

Thank you for the support, apparently the issue was the micro sd, I've tried with a samsung microsd and successfully installed the cfw. Thank you again for the help :)
Great!

My system is on 11.3.0-36E and it downloaded the system update, should i install it or is there a wat to remove it?
If you're hacked with current versions of B9S and Luma then you're find to do a system update.

Though you can remove it if you need to: https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/4by4xb/delete_predownloaded_update/

I'm attempting to mod my New 3DS XL using the 3DS.Guide website. I opted to do the DSiware save inject method and I got everything transfered from my original 3DS XL and launched the DSiware game and it just gives me the failed to load.nds error. Somehow from here I'm supposed to be able to load boot9strap but I can't figure out how to do so.

Never mind, I can't read. I skipped the backup firm part, I thought it was skippable.

L.O.R.D

Is there a program like action replay that will work on legally download eshop games?
Yes, ntrboot selector.
You download the plugins for each game and put it in a folder in SD card and run the app, then run the game.
After you finish the game you must turn off the 3DS it restart it to play any other game or app.

What's the best compatible NDS flash cart these days then, I've lost my DSTWO and it's depressing, so many games, so many good saves!

R4i Gold RTS, it's $20 right now and it support NTRboot.

diablogod

I have not messed with my new 3ds since like late last year. I followed the guide that used to be posted here which is now gone and I kinda remember nothing about what I did =(

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Well anyway I got Pokemon Ultra Moon popped it into my 3ds, it said it needed to update, it did, now I'm just at a black screen when i try and boot although if i hold start + power button some program called hourglass 9 loads up and it says emunand: SD not ready.

Does anyone have any clue how I can fix this? Just wanna play my ultra moon cart!

Before doing a system update you should always update whatever your using an CFW. Luma most probably.

you can still go that, then it's should all work once again.

If you can't figure out what you've got on your SD card, post a directory listing on here.

diablogod

Before doing a system update you should always update whatever your using an CFW. Luma most probably.

you can still go that, then it's should all work once again.

If you can't figure out what you've got on your SD card, post a directory listing on here.

I figured it out, I had to do the A9LH to B9S conversion. Took my SD card out and seen one of the folders was named a9lh and just kinda went from there. Glad it worked though cause I felt like I was kind of winging it.

Top Bottom