• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS launching March 27 at $250 in the US!

Hylian7

The only ones Gamestop told me (and this was from their internal email about it) were Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs + Cats, Super Street Fighter IV, and Steel Diver all on launch day. They have no idea about anything else.

But, Sega already announced Super Monkeyball would be a launch title. And they didn't say anything about "launch window". Gamestop should really do their research.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Could it be that Zelda is being held back as more of a strategic decision than a development time one? Perhaps the system will sell well at launch on the strength of the 3D and AR games alone, and then OOT will follow that initial batch of marketing.

Then again we didn't see too much of it until now, so its also very likely that it just has a small dev team - it does take time to make new textures, after all. This also gives me hope that there will be more surprises in store for the remake.

Oh well, pilot wings + novelty of new tech is enough for me to be there day 1. I just hope I put in my preorder soon enough on Amazon to get out with the first batch.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Dreamwriter said:
No, they'll have crappy scalpers to blame for buying up all the inventory with no plans to do anything with it but resell it for more.

Their fault.. Pre-orders are still up :lol.. No one is getting charged til shipping day so there is no excuse not to pre-order if you REALLY want it that bad. I personally wouldn't want 1st gen versions of hardware because of the battery life, launch line ups, 1st gen screens etc.. I definitely want a 3DS and PSP2 eventually as the hardware gets revised and lineup strengthens.

If people are willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money for something when it's directly dictated by supply and demand then there is an opportunity to take advantage of the situation because other people WILL do it regardless of what you do, high moral ground or not.

The 3DS will sell out, people will sell them for ridiculous amounts, the world will keep spinning, might as well jump in the action just a little bit.

I learned my lesson with the wii.

Codeblue

x3sphere said:
DSi is region free for original DS games... it's only DSi-specific or DSiWare titles where the region lock applies.

Oh neat, I don't know why I assumed it was retroactive. Thanks for correcting me.

Kodiak said:
Could it be that Zelda is being held back as more of a strategic decision than a development time one? .

Its probably both.

1. Nintendo didnt want Zelda to dominate launch sales, and also, unlike the disrupter that was the DS, it doesnt need something of that notoriety to sell the system to us with like with Mario 64 DS.

2. Its just an enhanced port and probably doesnt have that big of staff working on it. That combined with the above means there is a good chance they never planned on it to be launch and thus planned for the dev cycle to be finish in summer. At a time when releases are slow and the teams who worked on launch titles are long done and can be thrown at the project.

StuBurns

Banned
Quick question about the 3D. Has anyone commented about who defines what the maximum 3D depth is? I'm wondering if it's something Nintendo has mandated or if the developer can choose, because if it's up the developer presumably they can always set 100% 3D to be the depth they intend you to play at, save having to adjust it often. Anyone know?

Somnid

StuBurns said:
Quick question about the 3D. Has anyone commented about who defines what the maximum 3D depth is? I'm wondering if it's something Nintendo has mandated or if the developer can choose, because if it's up the developer presumably they can always set 100% 3D to be the depth they intend you to play at, save having to adjust it often. Anyone know?

Probably the developer. Making it look good is really going to be fudging the numbers for each scenario especially FOV, expected distance from the eye to the screen and the like. So I can't imagine Nintendo has any control over the max value and it'll likely be set by the devs as the maximum camera separation that still produces good results.

Mrbob

Good grief there are going to be 50 dollar 3DS games? Of course both of them are Tecmo Koei games. I didn't realize they though their games were good enough to do the Square tax.

Mrbob said:
Good grief there are going to be 50 dollar 3DS games? Of course both of them are Tecmo Koei games. I didn't realize they though their games were good enough to do the Square tax.
Namco is charging the equivalent of $75 for Ridge Racer in Japan.

I think, like with the PSP, the market is going to adjust this shit after a little while.

I can't imagine PSP2 software will be cheap, though, unless Sony mandates low prices.

Luigiv said:
Of course not. DS games don't have any region Data in them to begin with so it's not even physically possible.
Now DSi games, including annoyingly stealth DSi games like Sonic Collection, will be region locked.

Sonic Collection basically confirmed that Sega was one of the third parties asking for region locks on handhelds.

antonz

Mrbob said:

As has been said them and Namco are really pushing to see what leeway they can get. They are charing like 1200 Yen above what Street Fighter 4,Nintendo games etc are going for.

The market is going to bite the greedy developers in the ass and cause a price collpase on games that studios think they can gouge with.

$40 will probably be the average price for high level titles which really wont be that bad. Development budgets are going to rise quite a bit for studios that actually try versus average DS budget so 5 bucks increase to go from DS to 3DS will be tolerable.

antonz

Neuromancer said:
Hey does anyone know if Wal Mart does midnight launches for these kinds of things? Apparently my Gamestop is run by jerks.
24 hour walmarts will of course sell them when the clock hits midnight.

I have to imagine as it gets closer pretty much all gamestops will do midnight launches too

Neuromancer said:
Hey does anyone know if Wal Mart does midnight launches for these kinds of things? Apparently my Gamestop is run by jerks.

Just wondering which gamestop and which city/state. I would be pissed off if mine wasn't able to. I know we are, and I am pretty sure our whole region is. It's not up to the store manager, it's up to their district manager/ regional manager.

antonz said:
24 hour walmarts will of course sell them when the clock hits midnight.

I have to imagine as it gets closer pretty much all gamestops will do midnight launches too
OK good enough for me, I have a 24 hour Walmart very close by.

I would hope so but the guy at the store basically said since he thinks Nintendo stuff is for kids they weren't doing a midnight launch. Maybe he's mistaken, I should probably try to talk to the manager (who I know).

FoxMcCloudDS said:
Just wondering which gamestop and which city/state. I would be pissed off if mine wasn't able to. I know we are, and I am pretty sure our whole region is. It's not up to the store manager, it's up to their district manager/ regional manager.
Cockeysville, MD. (Store 3069).

Boney

Banned
Neuromancer said:
OK good enough for me, I have a 24 hour Walmart.

I would hope so but the guy at the store basically said since he thinks Nintendo stuff is for kids they weren't doing a midnight launch. Maybe he's mistaken, I should probably try to talk to the manager (who I know).
Cut that bitch up

General 3DS question since this seems to be the least-specific 3DS thread: I was thinking about the cameras today, and how they take images the same resolution as the DSi. Given the screen resolution I don't think that's much a problem, but I was wondering if we know how it will work out with things like aspect ratio and field of view? That is, what's closer: best case scenario of it actually taking wider images and anamorphically storing them in the 4:3 640x480 image, or the worst case of it taking images of the same width, and using a height-cropped version for display on the top screen?
Luigiv said:
Of course not. DS games don't have any region Data in them to begin with so it's not even physically possible.
They could find a way, it would just be needlessly complicated; and the whole "Don't want buyers from region X buying region Y's games too soon!" is pretty moot for years-old games.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Not seen this mentioned anywhere, how does the 3DS improve on the DS screens?

I imagine the top one is higher res to go with the extra width and 3D but how much better is it? Is it HD now? Better than PSP or what?

More importantly what about the touch screen? Is it the same screen and same technology? The DS screen scratched so easily that screen protectors were essential, will they have improved on this in the same way Apple make very scratch resistant touch panels?

Keyouta

kaizoku said:
Not seen this mentioned anywhere, how does the 3DS improve on the DS screens?

I imagine the top one is higher res to go with the extra width and 3D but how much better is it? Is it HD now? Better than PSP or what?

More importantly what about the touch screen? Is it the same screen and same technology? The DS screen scratched so easily that screen protectors were essential, will they have improved on this in the same way Apple make very scratch resistant touch panels?

The two screens can display about 16.77 million colours according to Nintendo's site. The top screen has a res of 400 x 240 and the bottom has 320 x 240. You'll see the top screen sometimes having a '800 x 240' res, but you will never really see that, you will only ever see 400 x 240. Dunno how tough the screen is though.

For my own question, is a price of $250 the same for Canada? I looked around and it seems it is. We are pretty much the same now-a-days. I remember when the DS launched for $150 in the US, it went out in Canada for $200.

Keyouta said:
The two screens can display about 16.77 million colours according to Nintendo's site. The top screen has a res of 400 x 240 and the bottom has 320 x 240. You'll see the top screen sometimes having a '800 x 240' res, but you will never really see that, you will only ever see 400 x 240. Dunno how tough the screen is though.
For comparison, the DS/DSi screens were both 256x192, so the resolution is quite a bit better than the old DS's on both screens. The PSP screen is slightly higher res, at 480x272, but the system can't display near as many colors (so screens tend to look rather dithery).

Oh, and old iPhones/iPod Touches had a screen res of 480x320, new ones with their "Retina Display" are 960x640.

Dunno about materials, but the touchscreen uses the same tech as DS, meaning no multitouch, and you can use a stylus or your fingernail for accuracy.

ShockingAlberto said:
Namco is charging the equivalent of $75 for Ridge Racer in Japan.

I think, like with the PSP, the market is going to adjust this shit after a little while.

I can't imagine PSP2 software will be cheap, though, unless Sony mandates low prices.

Do games in America actually cost the retail price?

The only places in Japan that charge full prices for games are Mass retail stores like Toys R US etc. Amazon, most every specialty shop all the games are 18% off retail price. So ridge racer is really only like 62 dollars!

Luigiv

Dreamwriter said:
For comparison, the DS/DSi screens were both 256x192, so the resolution is quite a bit better than the old DS's on both screens. The PSP screen is slightly higher res, at 480x272, but the system can't display near as many colors (so screens tend to look rather dithery).

Oh, and old iPhones/iPod Touches had a screen res of 480x320, new ones with their "Retina Display" are 960x640.

Dunno about materials, but the touchscreen uses the same tech as DS, meaning no multitouch, and you can use a stylus or your fingernail for accuracy.
Not entirely true. Double pen sports has "multitouch" (though I'm not sure if it's legit multitouch or faked).

Little known fact: Resistive touchscreens are in fact capable of multitouch, just like capacitive. However, the functionality is rarely enabled since resistive tech is naturally not that accurate with it (Due to the way the restive layer dents and flexes when multiple pressure points are applied) unless they're specifically built for it (and even then the thing can be easily confused when two points get too close to each other). So whilst I doubt it, it is in fact potentially possible for the 3DS to support real multitouch (depending on how much the touch panel has been improved over it predecessor).

Luigiv said:
Not entirely true. Double pen sports has "multitouch" (though I'm not sure if it's legit multitouch or faked).
Interesting. Just now reading a bit on the game.

As far as "fake", I know on the DS that if you touch two points it acts as if the middle is being touched. Give This a try in Pictochat or something. Hold a touch at one point, then touch other points and you'll end up with a series of lines drawn as it quickly shifts the invisible cursor to that midway point. I remember thinking that that could be used in some game situations. For instance, if they wanted something like Donkey Konga there could be two bongos on the screen used for tapping, and an invisible spot in between that would count as hitting both. Without seeing more on Double Pen Sports, though, hard to tell whether it could be doing something like that or is too complicated.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

Completely false. The PSP screen has a very high colour gamut, it's probably significantly better than the 3DS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mr_Brit said:
Completely false. The PSP screen has a very high colour gamut, it's probably significantly better than the 3DS.

Both the 3DS and PSP display 16.77 million colours, compared to the DS' 262,144 colours.

Mr_Brit

Banned
EatChildren said:
Both the 3DS and PSP display 16.77 million colours, compared to the DS' 262,144 colours.
Those numbers don't tell you what it can actually display. E.g. a lowly chinese knockoff LCD will state 16.7 million colours on the box and so will a high quality Samsung, that doesn't mean that the chinese knockoff can display anywhere near the same colour gamut as the Samsung.

We'll have to wait for people to get their hands on the 3DS and professionaly measure it's screen quality, brightness and colour gamut.

wsippel

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
I wouldn't be so sure. The DS Lite had an excellent gamut range, much better than initial PSP models and actually even slightly better than the iPhone 4 Retina display (all according to DisplayMate).

LCfiner

welp, I just pre-ordered one last night. figure there'll be enough novelty at launch to entertain me even if Paper Mario doesn't come out for several months afterward.

and if for some reason the 3D effect doesn't mesh with my eyes (never seen it before without glasses) then returning or selling it should be dead simple.

Just preordered the 3DS from Amazon. No deposit so I wanted to get "on the list" more than anything. Still not sure if I'll go through with it.

Eteric Rice

I'm #8 on my list, so hopefully I get mine.

Not sure what to buy at launch though. The games are going to be semi-expensive I'm betting.

MNC

JoshuaJSlone said:
Interesting. Just now reading a bit on the game.

As far as "fake", I know on the DS that if you touch two points it acts as if the middle is being touched. Give This a try in Pictochat or something. Hold a touch at one point, then touch other points and you'll end up with a series of lines drawn as it quickly shifts the invisible cursor to that midway point. I remember thinking that that could be used in some game situations. For instance, if they wanted something like Donkey Konga there could be two bongos on the screen used for tapping, and an invisible spot in between that would count as hitting both. Without seeing more on Double Pen Sports, though, hard to tell whether it could be doing something like that or is too complicated.
That's just the touch screen not knowing what you're hitting.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Instro said:
I thought the PSPs dithering issues were caused by the gpu?
It was caused by devs choosing lower RBG bits compared to console games which mostly use 32bit colour. This was mainly due devs wanting to saving processing power and was less noticeable in some games than others, e.g. MGS Portable Ops was detrimentally affected by the heavy dithering.

Dithering wasn't the main visual downcoming of the PSP. It was the low resolution of the screen which caused severe aliasing as well as causing any object not in the direct foreground to be lost due to there not being enough pixels making up the screen. This is the main problem the 3DS is going to face visually, a 240p screen just isn't good enough for most modern 3D videogames(272p barely cut it for the PSP in 2004), in 2011 this is inexusable.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
JoshuaJSlone said:
Hotel Dusk used this in one puzzle.

Top Bottom