• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS release date set at Nov 20th in Japan?

Regulus Tera said:
It's a Sakurai game; it's going to be delayed to hell and back.

Project Sora was launched in January 2009, KI seems to be their only title, and Sakurai was in on the 3DS very, very early. I expect KI to be a launch game for the system in spite of any delays with previous games.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Cosmonaut X said:
Project Sora was launched in January 2009, KI seems to be their only title, and Sakurai was in on the 3DS very, very early. I expect KI to be a launch game for the system in spite of any delays with previous games.

You put too much faith in Sakurai.

Somnid

Regulus Tera said:
You put too much faith in Sakurai.

Smash Bros Brawl was delayed 3 months in the US, not Japan. 3DS US launch March 2011 confirmed.

[edit] Damn, I didn't even catch the edit.

Forkball

As much as I hate to cite Kotaku, they did some research (maybe) and made this update:

Kotaku said:
Update: A spokesperson for KeysFactory has told Kotaku that Amano was an employee, but left the company at the end of August. What's more, the spokesperson added that the company has not been informed of the Nintendo 3DS's release date.

But if the release date really is November 20th, that man is already dead.

Vinci

Danish
Will be interesting to read hands-on with this thing. E3 didn't provide enough in-depth coverage. Definitely want to see people's responses once it launches, whether that be Japan or elsewhere.

heringer

I'm going to US for a week in the beginning of December, but even if the system does launch in December I don't think I'll be able to grab it. Aren't shortages pretty common in the launch week? I mean, huge lines and all. :(

Somnid

heringer said:
I'm going to US for a week in the beginning of December, but even if the system does launch in December I don't think I'll be able to grab it. Aren't shortages pretty common in the launch week? I mean, huge lines and all. :(

I froze my ass off for a Wii. I'd gladly do it again.

Owzers

heringer said:

Launch year with Wii Xo

I'm still debating whether to pre-order or get it at the inevitable Nintendo World/flagship Toys R Us launch party and maybe get some freebies/swag.

When the Wii launched, the Toys R Us where the launch party was had Wiis available well until the next day (though the good games were all sold out... Hmm...)

Vinci

Danish
heringer said:

Oh no, you'll be able to walk into your local electronics store and pick it up without any trouble...

;)

I'm getting this at Target.
I can get 15% off. 5% for using my Red Card and a coupon for 10% off any electronic purchase over $100.
:D

Somewhat ironically, launch week for the Wii was probably your best bet for getting one at the time until 2009 or so. Some of the larger stores took a day or two to completely sell out, and then there was another huge shipment for Black Friday.

After that, fucking forget it.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Somewhat ironically, launch week for the Wii was probably your best bet for getting one at the time until 2009 or so. Some of the larger stores took a day or two to completely sell out, and then there was another huge shipment for Black Friday.

After that, fucking forget it.
Yeah, that was fun. At the time, Nintendo World, the only place with Wiis consistently in stock, would only sell Wiis to people with debit/credit cards. So I got my first paycheck ever... $250, awesome! Except... I didn't have enough to pay for the tax. :(

I had to plan ahead and time my visit to Toys R Us with the time they got shipments.

Boney

Banned
259y1dd.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vinci said:
Oh no, you'll be able to walk into your local electronics store and pick it up without any trouble...

;)

I remember complacency being such that I - ME - was the first preorder in my local GAME. The busiest in Ireland.

I remember picking it up and in the time I was waiting, two people being turned away because there was no stock for them. I still have the receipt somewhere with #1 on it :)

Anyway, interesting rumours. My spending would be horrible this holiday if true. As much as I 'hate' on handhelds I'm sure, like those before it, I'll want a 3DS on day one.

No way it will be 2010 for anyone outside Japan (and I have my doubts that even Japan would be getting it)

Nintendo (and Level 5 with Prof Layton) were the only ones to show off games that looked remotely close to finished at E3 (though I'm sure that Namco and EA would be glad to push their beta games out the door early to make the launch window)

If it was to launch this year, the only games that would be available would be Prof Layton, Ridge Racer, Sims 3, Steel Diver, Nintendogs + Cats and maybe Kid Icarus.

There's a reason why Nintendo did not announce Golden Sun DD's release date within their initial US release date list and its because they weren't sure if their 3DS games would make it in time (it's their trump card that will carry the DS through the holidays)

The console will launch in March/April alongside the aforementioned titles (as well as Super Street Fighter 4, Pilotwings and Pokemon Black & White in the same week)

Boney

Banned
If they think Golden Sun is gonna carry the DS for the holidays they're even more crazy than I thought :lol

Why would you do that? said:
I'm still debating whether to pre-order or get it at the inevitable Nintendo World/flagship Toys R Us launch party and maybe get some freebies/swag.

When the Wii launched, the Toys R Us where the launch party was had Wiis available well until the next day (though the good games were all sold out... Hmm...)

Oh shit, going to the Nintendo World Store hadn't even crossed my mind. Strongly considering it now. Gonna be nuts there.

Nuclear Muffin said:
No way it will be 2010 for anyone outside Japan (and I have my doubts that even Japan would be getting it)

This x 10. Really. People keep your expectations in check. Those who have followed Nintendo for a long time know how to read the signs and 3DS is shouting 2011 for everywhere outside Japan.

You can quote this post for crow eating in the future though :p

Boney said:
If they think Golden Sun is gonna carry the DS for the holidays they're even more crazy than I thought :lol

Golden Sun was a pretty big seller on the GBA. Plus they've got Mario VS DK 4, Pokemon Ranger and Art Academy (which has done very well in Japan and EU) as well.

I still think that NOA are stupid for not releasing Face Training this year though.

Golden Sun = Minish Cap (except that Europe isn't gonna be getting 3DS either. They do get Last Window and Face Training though)

Nuclear Muffin said:

Nintendo (and Level 5 with Prof Layton) were the only ones to show off games that looked remotely close to finished at E3 (though I'm sure that Namco and EA would be glad to push their beta games out the door early to make the launch window)

If it was to launch this year, the only games that would be available would be Prof Layton, Ridge Racer, Sims 3, Steel Diver, Nintendogs + Cats and maybe Kid Icarus.

There's a reason why Nintendo did not announce Golden Sun DD's release date within their initial US release date list and its because they weren't sure if their 3DS games would make it in time (it's their trump card that will carry the DS through the holidays)

The console will launch in March/April alongside the aforementioned titles (as well as Super Street Fighter 4, Pilotwings and Pokemon Black & White in the same week)
no way it launches with pokemon.

this thing is going to sell out with even a stingy launch line up. i'm sure Nintendo have been paying attention to the launch hype. there's no need to launch it with a killer app. save the killer apps for when there's something approaching sustainable supply, which won't be any time in the systems first three months.

will it be this year or not? i think its impossible to rule out EITHER.

Layton, Sims 3, Ridge Racer, Nintendogs and Kid Icarus would be a really solid launch line up.

Vinci

Danish
Boney said:

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs for the DS. Could really use the extra help too, considering its sales.

Oh, wait a second...

WillyFive

cosmicblizzard said:
Oh shit, going to the Nintendo World Store hadn't even crossed my mind. Strongly considering it now. Gonna be nuts there.

It's going to be a riot over there. It's already crowded normally, imagine during a huge new console launch at the company's official store.

The software ready at launch is completely irrelevant, there's no way it could be worse than the NDS launch lineup and no matter how poor it is Nintendo will have little trouble selling all that they can ship.

Its coming in 2010 in at least 2, but most probably all 3, major markets unless something goes seriously wrong on the hardware production and distribution side. Its been a 2010 product all along.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Boney said:

The Golden Suns were among the best-selling RPGs on the GBA that were not called Final Fantasy or Pokémon.

cosmicblizzard said:

I actually held off on registering enough Nintendo Club points for Platinum Status until last month on the off chance there's some pre-release event at the NWS for suckers like me.

WillyFive

brain_stew said:
The software ready at launch is completely irrelevant, there's no way it could be worse than the NDS launch lineup and no matter how poor it is Nintendo will have little trouble selling all that they can ship.

Its coming in 2010 in at least 2, but most probably all 3, major markets unless something goes seriously wrong on the hardware production and distribution side. Its been a 2010 product all along.

The DS had a poor launch? It has Mario 64, Rayman 2, and Ridge Racer!

Willy105 said:

Um, exactly!?

Three God awful N64 ports don't make a good launch in my book. Mario 64 and Rayman were damn near unplayable and Ridge Racer looked lpretty damn horrible considering the PSP launched with such a fantastic and brand new entry in the series.

The 3DS will launch this year for the simple fact that it gives it more time in the limelight before the Wii's successor is inevitably launched.

Vinci

Danish
Willy105 said:

Dude, the DS had a horrid launch. Like... really, it's amazing it ever got going the way it did.

Willy105 said:

Ridge Racer 3DS!!!!! will save the launch

never played the rayman 2 ds title, it was a remake of the N64 one?

time to re-remake rayman 2 on 3DS B) :lol

friskykillface said:
Ridge Racer 3DS!!!!! will save the launch

never played the rayman 2 ds title, it was a remake of the N64 one?

time to re-remake rayman 2 on 3DS B) :lol

Screw that.
Give me Rayman Origins 3DS.

Boogiepop

Willy105 said:
...Rayman 2 was SUPPOSED to be a launch title but got delayed by a good amount. I remember having to wait for that to properly be released :|

Hylian7

I do remember the original DS launch was not so hot. The obvious choice of a game to pick up was Super Mario 64, which was good, don't get me wrong, but everyone had played it before, but the 30 extra stars was nice. The next real "gem" on the DS in my opinion was WarioWare Touched, and that wasn't til January or March of the next year, I forget which month. Luckily it took off later with Mario Kart and everything though.

As for the 3DS launch, I would be okay with 2 stellar games for that. Hopefully they would be Kid Icarus and the Ocarina of Time remake (I doubt the OOT remake). If not the OOT remake, then the Starfox remake would be nice.

Regulus Tera said:
The Golden Suns were among the best-selling RPGs on the GBA that were not called Final Fantasy or Pokémon.

In fact scrap Final Fantasy, from what I remember, the two Golden Suns were actually only second to Pokemon on the GBA in terms of sales.

Oh and Layton would only be releasing in Japan this year if it were to come out in 2010 (we haven't even gotten the 4th DS game yet :lol)

Vinci

Danish
Willy105 said:
Well, this is the first time I heard of bad things about the DS launch. Nevermind then.

For reference, here is a list of the DS's launch titles in NA:

Asphalt Urban GT (Gameloft)
Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sega)
Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
Ping Pals (THQ)
Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
Sprung (Ubisoft)
Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (Nintendo)
Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour (Electronic Arts)

Vinci said:
For reference, here is a list of the DS's launch titles in NA:

Asphalt Urban GT (Gameloft)
Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sega)
Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
Ping Pals (THQ)
Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
Sprung (Ubisoft)
Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (Nintendo)
Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour (Electronic Arts)

Every single game in that launch lineup was a port except for Feel the Magic, Madden, Spider Man 2, Ping Pals and Tiger Woods (Metroid Prime Hunters doesn't count as it was just a demo)

The 3DS doesn't even have that luxury as the SF64 and OoT remakes aren't nearly done and the only ports coming are Ridge Racer (PSP) and (probably a PSP port) Sims 3. There is also Street Fighter 4 but that isn't even 50% done yet so there's no way that will be ready for 2010 anyway.

If the 3DS was to get released in 2010 in the US and EU, it's launch lineup would be as thus...

Steel Diver
Nintendogs + Cats
Kid Icarus Uprising (maybe)
Sims 3
Ridge Racer
That crummy looking Ubisoft dating game thing (oh, hi Sprung!)
DJ Hero 3D
Battle of Giants

That is not enough (regardless of the fact that Nintendo would have 3 titles as opposed to 1 for the DS's launch)

On the other hand, we haven't seen anything of the 3DS Ware lineup (or a possible Virtual Handheld service) That might improve the situation somewhat...

Top Bottom