• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Streetpass Experiences

dk_ said:
How much batterie does sleep + wireless drain? Streetpass is a cool feature, but I also want to play games on the go.
I tested this the other day during night time (fully charged). Indicator was still on full the next morning - you should be good.

beje

Banned
According to the instruction manual, a fully charged console lasts as much as 3 days on StreetPass (as long as you don't use it for anything else) so you will be fine as battery drain is almost neglible.

mclem

wsippel said:
I wouldn't rule it out. It has happened with DS games, titles that were retail in one region became downloadable DSWare games in other regions. That wasn't an option for many DS games due to the DSWare size limit, but with the much bigger storage the 3DS offers, I think we might see a few full DS games released as downloadable titles on 3DS.

The PSP does this very well, and has allowed some titles to come out that probably wouldn't have been worth a full retail UMD release over in Europe. Here's hoping Nintendo have noticed this. Or at least that Atlus have.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sammy Samusu said:
I think it's too early to try StreetPass, this thing won't work until the next year, we need more systems on the street.
True, the 3DS Usebase is a joke compared to the DS or the PSP.

itxaka

Defeatist
First day in Madrid and got one in the metro. Let's hope the guy is on the metro today.

Edit: and by metro I mean the subway.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Think I'm gonna go pick up Ridge Racer in an hour, should get a couple of streetpasses in Gamestation...

beje

Banned
itxaka said:
First day in Madrid and got one in the metro. Let's hope the guy is on the metro today.

Edit: and by metro I mean the subway.

I got nothing in Metro and RENFE between Embajadores-Sol-Fuencarral today, guess it's because I go to work a little later than usual for the rest of the people and trains are almost empty. Let's see when I go back home, RENFE train is full of people coming from the campus in Cantoblanco and line 3 is always horribly crowded in the evenings.

moozoom

I went to a doujinshi / manga convention saturday in Paris, and I had 5 encounters during the day.

I got some puzzle pieces, and could beat a big ghost with their help in the mii-RPG. One of the Mii is appearing in nintendogs now, and he gives me gifts when I walk the dog. I didn't get a new breed of dog because we have the same game (golden retriever)

I'll try to go to boulevard Voltaire later this week (where many videogame shops are situated in Paris) and see if I can get some more encounters.

Was anybody able to test how far the wireless range of the 3DS is in street pass? Especially if you also have it in a case/sleeve. I use my old DSi sleeve with my 3DS and wondered if it might actually lower the wireless frequency. Especially as I also have the 3DS/sleeve in my backpack normally.

I used it in my friends gamestore and got 3, but we were actually seeking them so that doesnt count. It was fast.

I also tried at a friends house and it worked but we had to try a lot.

panda21

i'm super excited to get home and check for street passes today. probably going to go walk around campus a bit later just to make sure i get some. i'm guessing in london there will be plenty.

panda21 said:
i'm super excited to get home and check for street passes today. probably going to go walk around campus a bit later just to make sure i get some. i'm guessing in london there will be plenty.

Speaking of London, I know it's not the 3DS but I've found a good few Pokemon Black and White players with their C-Gear activated when walking about. So that's a good sign (especially considering that you'll find a lot more people with Streetpass as opposed to Tag Mode!)

Teknoman said:
Street Pass Plaza help says "This works even while playing other games". So I think for Miis, you just need to close the system at any point period. Now for Street Fighter, you probably have to have the game on.

Nope. Streetpass works for all games automatically, whether or not you are playing the game (though I would imagine that you can't Streetpass while playing online)

So long as you have your 3DS on (either in sleep mode, or being played) Streetpass data will be exchanged for all games and internal software that you have Streetpass enabled on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bunch of school kids got on the bus this morning and not a single hit. What are these kids playing with these day? God damn.

beje

Banned
Well, lucky me, went to my building cafeteria and picked up two XD I guess I will kick ass in very little time if they show up everyday. That's what you get for working on IT/telecom stuff

i usually get 5 or 6 a day just going to work and back, but i am seriously yet to see an actual 3DS out in public with my own eyes. clearly the people of japan are carrying them around more than playing them.

Chairhome

Weenerz said:
I was thinking of doing the same, you don't happen to be in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia do ya?
That's... weird. I actually am right now. I'm only here in town for a few more days, leaving Friday afternoon. My 3DS doesn't come in till tomorrow at the latest though. Maybe we can tag each other on Wednesday or Thursday!

syoaran

I figure that currently in London, streetpass is just too difficult to get a proper result on. I think if you stood in a major train hub for a few hours, you would get hit. Alternatively, I think HMV's and GAME shops will have their staff with their streetpasses - I guess.

I work right on the busiest part of London, I left the 3DS at reception which is feet away from the street - 0 hits so far today.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I went to Gamestation to get Ridge Racer.

I got the guy that works there.

God dammit, maybe in a 2 hour car journey on thursday i'll get a passing motorist ¬_¬

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Got two so far in Antwerp.
One from the demostation at a big electronics store.
And one proper hit last sunday while strolling through the city.

After that nada! Been taking the 3DS to work, walked through the city during the busiest hours and no luck yet. Wondering if I should leave the 3DS at home near the window. I live near a University, so I might get more lucky by passive-stalking kids that way :D

Gameboy415

I'm looking forward to using this at Comic Con later this year.
I took my DS with Dragon Quest IX last summer and got 27 people to visit my Inn in about 3 hours!

I figure since StreetPass isn't game-specific (meaning you don't have to have the specific game running at the time), it should be a goldmine!

As someone that has a 45-minute drive to work and then loops back around 9 hours later to go home, I see streetpass never working for me, unless the damn thing picks up people on the interstate.

I was amazed on Saturday as I went out - this is day after release, remember - around my local town center doing some shopping and got 10 hits for the Mii Plaza, 2 in Ridge Racer and 2 in SSF43D. That was 13 more than I expected, really.

Javaman

Sammy Samusu said:
I think it's too early to try StreetPass, this thing won't work until the next year, we need more systems on the street.
By then the novelty will have probably worn off and a smaller percentage of people will keep streetpass enabled. /skeptic

Today on the subway to work, picked up 2 people, one on Mii Plaza, one on SF4. Not bad, for a business commute downtown Toronto.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
syoaran said:
I figure that currently in London, streetpass is just too difficult to get a proper result on. I think if you stood in a major train hub for a few hours, you would get hit. Alternatively, I think HMV's and GAME shops will have their staff with their streetpasses - I guess.

I work right on the busiest part of London, I left the 3DS at reception which is feet away from the street - 0 hits so far today.
Well there goes my plan to stroll down Oxford Street.

syoaran

BGBW said:
Well there goes my plan to stroll down Oxford Street.

I'm sure you will get one or two from the staff who work in gaming related areas, but I already have them on my system. By comment was really about how London is still too diluted for spotpass to work right now, when the 3DS hits the same level as the DS did on the morning commute, you'll get a good 5-10 a day.

Struct09

The range is pretty impressive on StreetPass. I turned it on this morning, and got two people that are sitting probably over 100 feet away and are separated from me by concrete walls.

syoaran said:
I'm sure you will get one or two from the staff who work in gaming related areas, but I already have them on my system.

Nah that's great if you met them before - they level up in Quest!

Suzzopher

Strangely I street passed with a Malcolm Parsons better known as Pepsiman and he was the guy who got Linux on DS. Small world.

Struct09

patrickthehedgehog said:
Is it true that if you're connected to a wifi network that it will not find people on streetpass?

Definitely not true, I have wifi on for internet and get StreetPasses no problem

Deku

Banned
Gameboy415 said:
I'm looking forward to using this at Comic Con later this year.
I took my DS with Dragon Quest IX last summer and got 27 people to visit my Inn in about 3 hours!

I figure since StreetPass isn't game-specific (meaning you don't have to have the specific game running at the time), it should be a goldmine!

That really is the intent of the feature. The tag mode in DS was too specific and require both parties to have the game in tag mode.

Forkball

You're not going to get many unless you are a Japanese elementary school student. DQIX had a similar feature and I only got two. Both at the Nintendo World Store, the epicenter for Nintendo nerds in America. So yeah.

MNC

Forkball said:
You're not going to get many unless you are a Japanese elementary school student. DQIX had a similar feature and I only got two. Both at the Nintendo World Store, the epicenter for Nintendo nerds in America. So yeah.
But you probably need DQIX running in the background, right? Metroid Prime Hunters and other games had this as well; it was a total failure because hardly anyone would have the same game running in sleep mode while passing by. StreetPass is on even during a game and in regular sleep mode.

PKrockin

I took my 3DS on a quick trip to campus last night to drop something off and I got one person. I'm amazed I actually found someone because there was almost nobody there at that time of night. Today I expect at least five more.

caligula13

Gold Member
on the first day of the release i met two guys at the central railways station in frankfurt/main in germany. crazy!

seady

I think the hardware design for turning the system on and off is very crucial for whether people use the sleep mode or not.

For example, the iPod Touch and iPhone are VERY easy to put into sleep mode and in comparison it takes a while to boot up. So A LOT of people simply put it into sleep mode instead of turing it 100% off.

The 3DS on the other hand are very easy to turn it off 100%. A lot of casuals will simply turn it off instead of putting it in sleep mode, and ignore the potential for street pass.

syoaran

seady said:
I think the hardware design for turning the system on and off is very crucial for whether people use the sleep mode or not.

For example, the iPod Touch and iPhone are VERY easy to put into sleep mode and in comparison it takes a while to boot up. So A LOT of people simply put it into sleep mode instead of turing it 100% off.

The 3DS on the other hand are very easy to turn it off 100%. A lot of casuals will simply turn it off instead of putting it in sleep mode, and ignore the potential for street pass.

Possibly. I think it explains it fine when you press the power button though. Still, I think a lot of people will pass info a year from now in busy city networks.

wsippel

Banned
seady said:

Most people will simply close the lid.

Deku

Banned
seady said:

How is it easier to turn it off 100%? I hit the 'power' button and it tells me I could close my lid and put it into sleep mode or I can power off.

It takes more steps to turn it off 100%.

beje

Banned
seady said:

Nope, on the contrary, if you try to turn it off it asks you if you want to put the console on sleep mode instead so you can use StreetPass

Edit: Beaten

Top Bottom