• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What big MMORPG’s are on the horizon? Anything that doesn’t look to be based around MTX?

jcorb

I love MMORPG’s, but at this point, it seems like the only two that are really worth a damn are WoW and FFXIV.

I’m personally more on board with a subscription model, because a huge motivator to run difficult content and really invest in an MMO is acquiring “cool shit” to show off to your friends.

But it seems like the entire gaming industry has decided “if you want to look cool, that’s gonna cost money”. Which is why I’m always intensely suspicious of new games, and have virtually no confidence in seeing a more “old school” MMO, where everyone is on an even playing field where you get out of the game only what you put into it.

Curious if there is anything on anyone else’s radar that I may want to keep an eye on? Any promising MMO’s in the works?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I love MMORPG’s, but at this point, it seems like the only two that are really worth a damn are WoW and FFXIV.

I’m personally more on board with a subscription model, because a huge motivator to run difficult content and really invest in an MMO is acquiring “cool shit” to show off to your friends.

But it seems like the entire gaming industry has decided “if you want to look cool, that’s gonna cost money”. Which is why I’m always intensely suspicious of new games, and have virtually no confidence in seeing a more “old school” MMO, where everyone is on an even playing field where you get out of the game only what you put into it.

Curious if there is anything on anyone else’s radar that I may want to keep an eye on? Any promising MMO’s in the works?
I guess guild wars 3 is something to keep your eyes on.

Otherwise there’s nothing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm sorry that your favorite genre is dead, OP.

I believe that every announced upcoming MMO is a free to play game with microtransactions and a paid cosmetic shop.

Gudji

I don't think there's a big MMO on the horizon anytime soon but there might be a few interesting ones like Ashes of Creation and maybe Dune Awakening. Those are two that come to mind but there's probably more.

Only thing I can see being huge is the riot games MMO due to the huge league of legends fanbase but that's like 5 to 6 years away (they just recently rebooted it because it was too much like what we have in the market today).

Last edited:
This model doesn’t work anymore and hasn’t for years. It’s why the games you’re listing, that still do it, are all legacy titles that have simply survived for this long.

If you want, I can share some upcoming MMOs that look interesting, but you have to be okay with the modern way of doing things first.

You can’t have both.

cormack12

Gold Member
Mad to think in two decades nothing has really supplanted WoW, and even worse - think how WoW got actively worse.

No other game has ever captured those early days of everyone farming spiders in Teldrassil, sticking to the path to not aggro mobs, that first time arriving in Stormwind and Ironforge. Its insane when you think about it

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is FFXI still up? If so, check it out.

It was my first foray into MMOs a didn't really have MTX, at least not how it's handled today.
The game is still around, but it's not nearly as good (in my opinion) as it used to be. They have added a lot of "quality of life" improvements to the game, but in the process they've made it into basically a single player game that you occasionally interact with others - rather than what it used to be, which required human participation and cooperation.

If you want the old-school 2005 experience, check out Horizon XI

Venuspower

In essence, this is not new. But Silkroad Online will probably get a 1:1 mobile port. I will probably just play it for the lulz after wasting 10+ years with the PC game :D

Freeman76

I think MMO as we know it currently is dead. Takes way too much resources and very few companies are willing to spend 7 or more years developing something that may or not be a success.

MMO is my favourite genre, so I'm pissed lol, but GW2 and BDO are both still interesting to me. I recently tried New World but unfortunately it's as shit as everyone said it was. FF14 was ok for a while but it has some seriously obnoxious quest design and zero respect for my time so ditched that after the 2nd expansion.

I often think about booting WoW up again, the latest expansion is the only one i've never bought as the previous one wasnt my cup of tea and I find it hard to get excited to play it again.

Tried Lost Ark but that is so reliant on being geared that I realised it wasnt something for me. I am always looking for the next big MMO but tbh I dont think there is one.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
A lot of games now have injected mmo aspects into them.

You can grind path of exile or destiny 2 a lot to get similar experiences. Destiny 2 even has raids.

jcorb

It’s a bummer to know that MMO’s are pretty much never going to be what they could’ve been. Between pay-to-win and heavy “micro”transactions, it feels like these “games” have become more digital marketplaces, than actual WORLDS where everyone is on equal footing.

I dunno, I keep hoping to find some new MMO in the works that’s a genuine labor of love, not JUST a means of selling shit to players. Where FUN is the primarily objective.

MAtgS

Mad to think in two decades nothing has really supplanted WoW, and even worse - think how WoW got actively worse.

No other game has ever captured those early days of everyone farming spiders in Teldrassil, sticking to the path to not aggro mobs, that first time arriving in Stormwind and Ironforge. Its insane when you think about it
Pretty sure the FF14 players would disagree.

Think we had a recent WoW thread showing their number keeping it on top. As for players, well I imagine every game has it's fans.

As for other options - ESO tends to get some good buzz. Didn't New World launch not super long ago? That might be worth a look.

Resenge

I have played FF14 since ARR launch on and off and I agree with his statement. FF14's open world is lifeless compared to WoW. FF is going for a different vibe and most of the the good shit happens in instances imo.

Although I have had some fun times with hunts in the world, it was just mostly grind and chat rather than the fun shit I used to get up to in WoW.

On Topic, Ashes of Creation is the MMO that has been on my radar for a few years, nothing else seems worth it.

Last edited:

Xyphie

The League of Legends MMO could be huge and has everything going for it, Tencent money, #1 gaming IP etc. Was announced by the former director as F2P before though, but they recently announced they're going back to the drawing board so things could change I guess.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
it feels like these “games” have become more digital marketplaces, than actual WORLDS where everyone is on equal footing.
A world where everyone is on equal footing is boring. The great fictions throughout history shows us that.

gothmog

Gold Member
IMO the general MMORPG community killed off the genre by making the WoW grind their lives. Every game I played would lose the whole guild/clan when anything WoW was released. It sucked because in general while endgame activities are fun the endless grinds for incremental power increases was always frustrating once the shine of a Raid ended.

Last edited:
MMORPG and MMOG in general is a pretty dead genre. The glory days of those games are long, long gone and will never return, nobody in 2024 wants to dedicate their life to grinding in an MMO-style game anymore

If you aren't caught up with the story in FFXIV, you have a good opportunity to do so now before the release of the next expansion Dawntrail

TwiztidElf

Ashes of Creation and Blue Protocol are the two I'm keeping an eye on.
I doubt I'll have the capacity to commit to either though.

SScorpio

I guess guild wars 3 is something to keep your eyes on.

Otherwise there’s nothing.
The announcement was during an investor call and only that they had just green lit it. There's been no working so it's probably 6+ years away with the current rate of game development.

Akuji

Ashes of creation is the only one i am interested in.

Could be great but as every mmorpg Fan knows, could be bad and even if good Chances are big it will become bad within a few major patches.

Think we had a recent WoW thread showing their number keeping it on top. As for players, well I imagine every game has it's fans.

As for other options - ESO tends to get some good buzz. Didn't New World launch not super long ago? That might be worth a look.
ESO is in the top 5, along with WoW, FFXIV, and PoE.

The new generation of groundbreaking MMOs hasn’t quite happened yet. There is some potential out there and as long as they aren’t scooped up by Amazon games they should be fine.

+1 for Ashes of Creation

The alpha launches 3rd quarter this year, but the game probably won't release for at least like 2 years

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The Runescape creator has spent a decade working on his next game which releases this year. Probably the best new thing in the genre you'll get for now.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
J jcorb I know you mentioned WoW but do you actually play it?

There's an upcoming private server due for release this year which, in my probably decade plus at this point playing various private servers, looks like the best I've ever seen. Every time they release a new blog post I agree with everything they do. It's vanilla with TBC talents/spells, in the smooth WotLK client, with tons and tons of custom stuff. Played 2 betas and the next one is on Friday, 45-60. Maybe have a look.

DragonNCM

MMO ?

robin-williams.gif

Top Bottom