• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS System Update Live (Streetpass DLC games, digital game save backups)

Oxx

There's a lot of text at the start of these new games. Presumably things will be a lot quicker once everything is set-up, but they aren't exactly pick-up and play.

Berordn

So these new StreetPass Games aren't for US? I don't see them.

The shop wasn't activated for NA 3DSes. It might have something to do with all the bugs in the European update, Reggie bein' Reggie, or StreetPass not really working in the West.

Oxx

Mansion and Battle sound really cool. Nice presentation too.

Just a shame I only had one streetpass to play with today.

Question about back-up saves:

In theory, does this mean I could download a save from the internet and load it onto my 3DS?

Also, does anyone know if you can back-up saves with your Wii U as well?

I ask because I recently bought F-Zero X from the Wii U eShop. I would love to download a save that has everything unlocked and just load it onto my console (if there's a site that offers these save files). I own an F-Zero X cart for my N64 that has everything unlocked, and I'd rather not go through all that again.

And even if this doesn't work for Wii U, maybe it'll work for the future of 3DS?

bumpkin

The shop wasn't activated for NA 3DSes. It might have something to do with all the bugs in the European update, Reggie bein' Reggie, or StreetPass not really working in the West.
It works just fine, you just don't get a whole hell of a lot of activity if you don't live in a big city or hang out at GameStop(s). lol

Berordn

sounds nice, how can I download the pack? The option seems to be missing?

"west" = USA ?

Yeah, probably should've said NA. But when I don't take my 3DS around campus with me, it's really rare that I'll get any sort of Streetpass. Hopefully they activate the hotspot thing soon, since it'd be nice for me to stop associating school with video games.

Question about back-up saves:

In theory, does this mean I could download a save from the internet and load it onto my 3DS?
No, the saves are still encrypted with your 3DS's unique device key. The save backup tool just allows you to conveniently bundle up all saves in a single folder, which you can backup in case something happens to the SD, and provides some savegame/backup management functionality in case you delete a game or want to roll back to a backed up savegame, without having to handle it all manually on a PC.

M3d10n

No, the saves are still encrypted with your 3DS's unique device key. The save backup tool just allows you to conveniently bundle up all saves in a single folder, which you can backup in case something happens to the SD, and provides some savegame/backup management functionality in case you delete a game or want to roll back to a backed up savegame, without having to handle it all manually on a PC.

Yep, I suspect Nintendo noticed a good number of people never deleted their eShop games and slowed down on their purchases when their SD cards became full.

(It actually happened to me a week prior the update)

Gotcha. Thanks, Data.

I really wish there was a way to download pre-unlocked saves without messing around with any homebrew stuff.

OMG Aero

Does anyone know if you have to buy all four hats from the exchange booth for them to change or is there a specific time it updates?
Today's selection of hats for me are the same Mario power ups that were available yesterday.

jercruz

Does anyone know if you have to buy all four hats from the exchange booth for them to change or is there a specific time it updates?
Today's selection of hats for me are the same Mario power ups that were available yesterday.

still the same for me, all mario theme hats that I've all bought up. maybe next week?

sakipon

I'm not sure when it changes, but I bought only one and later on it offered four completely new ones. So it should refresh by itself.

EU here. Got notification of Mii Plaza update. It fixes the crashing. As for the games. My thought is so:

Either Nintendo need to lift the daily play coin cap or at least make it so 2 play coins gets me a puzzle piece, wander, gun, map piece and whatever else has been added as now it is horribly lopsided towards meeting Miis (where you get all of the above for 1 Mii).

Plus given I tend to only load my plaza when I have at least 6 Miis means I can not justify buying the games as they will get such occasional use (especially at their price point, plus where is the bundle option do I have to actually reach final confirmation of buying for it to show me this).

This makes me think NOA might have held back on this until the relay stations are out for that reason (if relay stations=10 tags that makes the games more appealing to me as I could actually play them more regularly). Still they could have handed up the puzzles. This also makes me wonder if the Mii Plaza puzzle (which we don't have in Europe along with Dillion) was supposed to coincide with this.

Oh yeah on a final note about the firmware update. No, you can not back up DSiWare saves (the option does not even appear).

Finally not crashing! Got the games. Really enjoy them all except Garden which I still don't really know what I'm doing lol.

The others make up for it in their cool though. Streetpass goodness ftw! :)

Anbec7

So uhm did this update killed my Fire Emblem Awakening demo?

I downloaded like... a day before the update was released I did not play that much and now every time that I tried to play it.

It shows.... "An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again.
For help, visit support.nintendo.com"

I can play everything else, so.. does anyone got issues with this??

sugarless

Sweet, you can now filter Miis when hiring old allies in StreetPass Quest, by both level and colour. Just used it to find two yellow guys to clear that damn poison room.

Sorry if this has been said before but I just noticed that now if you streetpass with someone over 100 times it actually counts that. Before it would be stuck at 99.

Cizard

So I want to buy the new streetpass games but apparently there's a discount if you buy all of them at the same time? How do I do this?

Cizard

If you try to buy one of the new streetpass games you'll get the discount.

It just says they're 5 euro? Do I get the fourth for free or something if I have bought 3?

Edit: the bunny mentioned the combo pack once I said I wanted to buy a game!

Oxx

What's the deal with the Monarchs from Afar aspect of Streetpass Battle?

I was so excited that I encountered a force of over 1500 troops... but then they wanted to fight rather then join me.

Bummer. Still, I added 400+ to my army today.

Jofamo

What's the deal with the Monarchs from Afar aspect of Streetpass Battle?

I was so excited that I encountered a force of over 1500 troops... but then they wanted to fight rather then join me.

Bummer. Still, I added 400+ to my army today.

If you defeat them, you add their numbers to yours. It's a fun little bonus for passing someone who is also playing.

Its kind of annoying my GF can never get my army anymore now unless she hires a bunch of people or I do terrible and lose heaps of mine.

I reckon being friends with a Monarch should ally like half or quarter or something of their army.

Oxx

If nothing else, Streetpass Garden is a good tool for taking pictures of your Miis (and their hats/hair/outfits).

tumblr_mp4cv59Q7x1rf96tno1_500.jpg

Its kind of annoying my GF can never get my army anymore now unless she hires a bunch of people or I do terrible and lose heaps of mine.

I reckon being friends with a Monarch should ally like half or quarter or something of their army.

Well just today she said I actually allied a few members of my army to hers even tho she picked the friend army thing. It must take a few 'being friends' option or something to occur.

I dunno, I always pick fight lol.

Cherubae

Are all the StreetPass games worth it?

I would think so. They add a bit of fun to the StreetPass system, and you can buy a lot of new hats with the tickets you win from the games.

If you don't play the games, you can't get the new hats. And even when you do play them, you have to meet specific achievements to be rewarded with hat tickets. So there's some challenge to it. Normally I use to just check for the puzzle piece and then finish the SP cue, but now there's lots more to do.

I like the garden and ghost mansion games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
$15. To make it appear, you have to try buying one of the games separately and then the salesbunny will offer it to you.

Mistle

If I happened to lose my 3DS, does that mean my Animal Crossing digital download save is gone forever? Or can I prevent that now somehow?

Jeels

Hey guys. I was wondering if there was a thread on the DLC streetpass games.

Also which games do you guys recommend? Do any of them give cool hat accessories?

You only get a few hats *directly* from specific games (two each, IIRC). The shmup gives you the spaceship as a hat after you beat it, and unlocks a simple helmet right off the hop.

Flowers unlocks some shiny grey crown thing for getting 20 total breeds and a simple flower bonnet for purchasing it.

I haven't beaten the other two so I can't describe the second hat they give you. All the games give you one for just buying them, though.

Also a majority of the hats from this update are unlocked via getting plaza tickets in these games. Each game gives you 22 of them. The conditions vary per game. Those can be used to unlock the other hats in whatever order you decide to unlock them in. They are not game specific.

The thread you're looking for is here, though: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425715

As a side note, the shmup is pretty awesome and flowers is pretty fun if you like spreadsheets. Warrior's Way is a kick in the junk if you're unlucky with streetpassing and I just don't think I'm playing Ghosts right.

Top Bottom