• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd party console demos at Gamescom seem to be running on devkits

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
MCboJnOl.jpg

That work?

nib95

Banned
but this wasn't acceptable at E3 for MS lol

It's not acceptable for Sony either. We as gamers deserve to see these games running on final kits, more representative of what we'll be getting in the end.

Good thing first part stuff from Microsoft and Sony is running on the real deal, and evidently some third party stuff too.

Bare in mind, at E3 Microsoft claimed rigs with GTX 680's and Titans were also "dev kits". That was the more disingenuous part.

Come to think of it, what OS does the actual ps4 dev kit use?

We know some game devs actually use one, seeing as the blacklight demo crashed to the actual ps4 UI before the revel on tuesday, but i'm wondering what the rest of the dev environment looks like.

I have to even though I don't want to.

At E3 when the Xbox 1 games were running and there was a windows 7 screen along with a desktop at the bottom, we all cried that they weren't devkits but an actual PC.

Surely Sony can't get the same pass. How is this a devkit on Windows 7 when it could be a desktop just the same? I'm just saying

nib95

Banned

At E3 when the Xbox 1 games were running and there was a windows 7 screen along with a desktop at the bottom, we all cried that they weren't devkits but an actual PC.

Surely Sony can't get the same pass. How is this a devkit on Windows 7 when it could be a desktop just the same? I'm just saying

The uproar wasn't because a Windows screen popped up lol (which presumably dev kits may run on anyway). It was because they were running the games on PC hardware that was considerably more powerful than the actual Xbox One. That is, GTX 680's, 780's and Titan set ups. We don't know what hardware is in the rig in the OP's shot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
NFS was also shown off on PC at E3 with a DS4. Third parties have been showing PC stuff a lot but Sony has been keeping their games running on real hardware after the whole E3 2005 BS.

redfirm

Banned

SONY is not using them. EA and all other THIRD PARTY publishers are. thats the difference.

Xater

I CAN CONFIRM 100% that the units at the playstation stand( sony's own ) are all running on actual ps4 consoles. all Third party publishers are using pc's to demonstrate their game.

to proof to you that i've been there. (the controller is connected directly to the ps4 btw)
Vx12sUA.jpg

Yup, BF4 was running on dev kit though. I mean the behind closed doors demo.

Wait so a tweet of a pic of a PS4 controller attached to a demo booth of Need for Speed Rivals (which is an EA game) is proof all PS4 demos are running on devkits? They probably are, but this train of thought makes no sense.

Right. My first conclusion would have been...

Since it's NFS, you were probably just seeing the PC version.

Which seems logical. And leads to the only actually interesting thing here...

Looks like a confirmation that Dual Shock 4 controllers will work on PC.

Radec

Wait so a tweet of a pic of a PS4 controller attached to a demo booth of Need for Speed Rivals (which is an EA game) is proof all PS4 demos are running on devkits? They probably are, but this train of thought makes no sense.

I don't have a preorder but I'm still cancelling my preorder!!

Deriok

Banned
The uproar wasn't because a Windows screen popped up lol (which presumably dev kits may run on anyway). It was because they were running the games on PC hardware that was considerably more powerful than the actual Xbox One. That is, GTX 680's, 780's and Titan set ups. We don't know what hardware is in the rig in the OP's shot.

Really? That's a pretty stupid reason for an uproar. When a game gets developed for a system, if you want to run it on another system, it will require more raw power. Simple logic. And why the hell would Microsoft put low end cards on their PC? That doesn't make any sense.

Jeez, sometimes Sony fanbois will jump at anything to make Microsoft look bad.

ethomaz

Banned
nop, thats the xbox stand. xbox's own stand with third party game, that stand us using REAL xbox ones. all other stands use pc's.

so to clarify.

BOTH xbox and sony use real consoles at their OWN stands.all other stands use PC'S. the reason for this is because both party's want to use the units for shipping to retail instead of demoboots of third party publishers
Makes a lot of sense... no commercial consoles to third-party yet.

GodofWine

Are we using 'dev kit' and 'pc' as synonyms now?? or were third party booths showing ps4 games running on PCs supposedly spec'd to be similar to PS4.

Devkit, fine..PC running titans downclocked yada yda, not fine.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I've doubt devs have the actual retail unit.

Deriok

Banned
At E3, it was third parties using them as well wasn't it? People are right, there's some really selective outrage on this one.

On this one and pretty much everything else regarding Sony/Microsoft.

Pro-Tip: If you want actual unbiased info on both consoles, don't go on NeoGaf.

nib95

Banned
Really? That's a pretty stupid reason for an uproar. When a game gets developed for a system, if you want to run it on another system, it will require more raw power. Simple logic. And why the hell would Microsoft put low end cards on their PC? That doesn't make any sense.

Jeez, sometimes Sony fanbois will jump at anything to make Microsoft look bad.

I don't think you understand how this works lol. Dev kits are using hardware almost exactly the same as the retail kits, usually only with more ram and an OS for tools, debugging etc. Using GPUs and CPUs considerably more powerful than the dev kits and retail kits is disingenuous and will mean you can run the game at better settings and smoother than the actual console could or can. To put it in perspective, a Titan is 4.5 Tflops, the Xbox One's GPU is 1.31 Tflops. Massive difference...

Add to that, i7 processors and GTX 780s, Titans etc are completely different architectures to what is inside the XO and PS4 (AMD, Nvidia), which makes the notion of the hardware being representative even more unlikely.

Try and apply some logic. P. S I have no idea what hardware is inside the rig in the OP.

Deriok

Banned
I don't think you understand how this works lol. Dev kits are using hardware almost exactly the same as the retail kits, usually only with more ram and an OS for tools, debugging etc. Using GPUs and CPUs considerably more powerful than the dev kits and retail kits is disingenuous as will mean you can run the game at better settings and smoother than the actual console could or can.

Add to that, i7 processors and GTX 780s, Titans etc are completely different architectures to what is inside the XO and PS4, which makes the notion of the hardware being representative even more unlikely.

Try and apply some logic. P. S I have no idea what hardware is inside the rig in the OP.

I don't think you understand how this works lol. Usually during a game development cycle, optimization comes at the end of the cycle. So it's quite normal not being able to run your game on a console that is not even released yet, 6 months from launch.

By the way i7 processors are the same architecture as what's inside both PS4/XBO. x86.

The difference was MS was running games on a pc with titan graphics cards, which are way better than an xbox dev kit. If im not mistaken.
why would it matter if the dev kit used higher specs? it's doesn't lol it was jonathan blow who tried to stir things up and later got called out on it.

there isn't anything wrong with a PS4 demo running on a pc dev unit JUST like it doesn't matter if an X1 demo was running on one.

If this image had an XBOX One controller dangling everyone would be saying "OMG it's using windows 7 so it must me running on old dated hardware so the XBOX One specs must be super low confirmed"

PC dev units are nothing new lol

nib95

Banned
I don't think you understand it this works lol. Usually during a game development cycle, optimization comes at the end of the cycle. So it's quite normal not being able to run your game on a console that is not even released yet, 6 months from launch.

That bit I completely agree with. But that's why devs spec PCs to what they think will be the best like for like in terms of target performance for the final game and retail hardware. A GeForce Titan is never ever going to offer like for like performance of games like Battlefield 4 comparative to the Xbox One. It is a completely disingenuous comparative set up and is considerably more powerful than either the PS4 or Xbox One.

EDIT: Again, i7s are still much more powerful than the Jaguars in the PS4/XO.

Deriok

Banned
That bit I completely agree with. But that's why devs spec PCs to what they think will be the best like for like in terms of target performance for the final game and retail hardware. A GeForce Titan is never ever going to offer like for like performance of games like Battlefield 4 comparative to the Xbox One. It is a completely disingenuous comparative set up.

You don't understand. If they wanted the same hardware setup as the Xbox One, they would've used an Xbox One. Without code optimization most game 6 months from launch can't be run on comparable hardware than the console, that's why you need more raw power.

if you're willing to pretend that 4k screenshots are representative of the end user console experience, using a PC to iron out the hiccups in your build seems like a natural fit.

This guy http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657813
says infamous looks even better in person than the media we've seen for it, which includes your alleged downsampled 4k bullshots. he's also not a fanboy as he has both + and - impressions for both sony & ms

it's time to accept that next-gen will deliver a true leap

*smh* at the posters who are getting upset over the lack of an uproar. "Please be angry! Pleeeeease!"

Still crossing fingers for the bigger implication, that DS4 will work on PCs.

nib95

Banned
You don't understand. If they wanted the same hardware setup as the Xbox One, they would've used an Xbox One. Without code optimization most game can't be run on comparable hardware than the console, that's why you need more raw power.

It doesn't have to be exact hardware, as that wouldn't be representative due to closed platform advantages etc. But it should still be within the realms of feasibility. Titans and GTX 780s do NOT fall within that realm.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So what are those?
Are they just running PC builds of the games with controller drivers or are there some kinda wrappers to make the software run under Windows anyway?

Wait. You don't think what I said is true?

No because your being just as bias. Your saying if you want unbias [Microsoft] information, don't go on GAF. What funny about your post is, those same other websites that others go on for "unbias" news quote from Neogaf themselves. Seems like Gaf has all the unbias news then. Execs from both wouldn't name drop if that wasn't the case.

Deriok

Banned
No because your being just as bias. Your saying if you want unbias [Microsoft] information, don't go on GAF. What funny about your post is, those same other websites that others go on for "unbias" news quote from Neogaf themselves. Seems like Gaf has all the unbias news then. Execs from both wouldn't name drop if that wasn't the case.

Oh yeah for sure buddy. All the gaming websites on the web relies on Neogaf to get their info.

By the way, your post makes no sense whatsoever.

Top Bottom