• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has reportedly held 1st and 3rd party announcements back for august state of play.

AllBizness

Banned
I think they've shown all the AAA 1st party coming within the 1st year already
The August meeting may cover more hardware/os features and price.

Ten_Fold

Crossed fingers for that Legend of Dragoon announcement lol. Anyways I think they will show the UI and talk price and maybe show a few games.

Hunnybun

I think R&C was that moment. Sure, it doesn't have the jaw-dropping graphics like KZ had 7 years ago, but if you want to see what's coming in the upcoming generation, R&C is the game to look at.

The thing is, the significance of that demo was literally just the opening scene. Yeah, it looked incredible. The rest of the demo was impressive but nothing mindblowing, and I remember watching it multiple times to try to convince myself it was better than it was.

It was just that that opening shot was really spectacular with its scale and reflections etc.

If you take that out then I'd say most of what was shown at the PS5 event was at least as impressive as the stuff at the PS4 reveal.

Venuspower

I'm actually really curious to see what they do with GTA V. The fact it's not releasing until the second half of next year gives me hope it could be a significant remaster.

I'd kind of like to play through it all again.

I do not expect any major changes compared to the PC version.
Only a bump in resolution, textures, FPS. And maybe they will increase the amount of
players per server in GTA:O. RT might be another feature they might introuduce.

I rather think that there are just not that many people working on it. Which is why it comes later.

ZywyPL

Banned
The thing is, the significance of that demo was literally just the opening scene. Yeah, it looked incredible. The rest of the demo was impressive but nothing mindblowing, and I remember watching it multiple times to try to convince myself it was better than it was.

It was just that that opening shot was really spectacular with its scale and reflections etc.

If you take that out then I'd say most of what was shown at the PS5 event was at least as impressive as the stuff at the PS4 reveal.

True, but it gave a hint of what the generation will be about - huge, detailed worlds. Back on the PS3/X360 you could either have a great looking linear corridor game, or a not-so-good-looking open world game, and that KZ:SF opening scene screamed "Look! Next-gen will be so powerful that you can have both!". And in similar fashion, I expect devs to widely use scenery transformations/transitions on PS5/XBX. TF2 already did that with great reception, now we will have R&C and supposedly Medium as well, and I believe such themes will become very common in the upcoming years, maybe not for entire levels but at least on a micro-scale, like HFW for example - imagine if that disease will be growing on your own eyes, changing the scenery as you play the game, instead of suddenly switching after the cut-scenes? So you'll be seeing the land slowly transforming from Avatar's Pandora-like scenery into devastated wasteland as you travel around it. Would be so cool if GG did that, for real. Or in horror games, seems like a perfect match for such tech. Time will tell obviously, but if you give the devs the options, they will surely try some sick shit with it.

Dawg you gotta realize the potential. I was underwhelmed by killzone and knack, but damn the last couple years really showed what they are capable of.

SilentUser

If there really is a new showing coming in August, which is very probable, I hope they stream it in 4K with a very high bitrate. Watching the games announced in 4K after their initial reveal made me question the decision of showing first in full HD. Those games wowed me much more when I saw the trailers in 4K.

Hunnybun

True, but it gave a hint of what the generation will be about - huge, detailed worlds. Back on the PS3/X360 you could either have a great looking linear corridor game, or a not-so-good-looking open world game, and that KZ:SF opening scene screamed "Look! Next-gen will be so powerful that you can have both!". And in similar fashion, I expect devs to widely use scenery transformations/transitions on PS5/XBX. TF2 already did that with great reception, now we will have R&C and supposedly Medium as well, and I believe such themes will become very common in the upcoming years, maybe not for entire levels but at least on a micro-scale, like HFW for example - imagine if that disease will be growing on your own eyes, changing the scenery as you play the game, instead of suddenly switching after the cut-scenes? So you'll be seeing the land slowly transforming from Avatar's Pandora-like scenery into devastated wasteland as you travel around it. Would be so cool if GG did that, for real. Or in horror games, seems like a perfect match for such tech. Time will tell obviously, but if you give the devs the options, they will surely try some sick shit with it.

Yeah it's true to say that in hindsight you'd probably have expected examples of really impressive destruction and physics given the much better CPU.

That was definitely missing tbf. Strange, because it's always so impressive in motion, more so than improved fidelity.

ZZZZ

Japan Studio has three unannounced console projects in the works from creative directors Kouno, Toyama and Iijima - all of them ready to be shown. Then there is Arrowhead's new Sony-funded multiplayer coop game "Testament" - in development since 2016. There's also MediaVision - rumored to be working on a new Wild Arms game - and Michel Ancel's Wild Sheep Studio who are still hard at work on WiLD.

Edit: Oh! And the TLOU Factions thing that Naughty Dog's multiplayer team have been working on.

Yes.

So they are working on Astro Bot, Demon's Soul remake with Bluepoint, SH, and RaySpace? Jesus.

Kokoloko85

So they are working on Astro Bot, Demon's Soul remake with Bluepoint, SH, and RaySpace? Jesus.

None of these are helping Miyazaki with and Exclusive like Bloodborne or Demon Souls..... disappointed
Thats what I wanted most from World wide studios

plip.plop

Meh, announcements are just that, announcements. We have seen announcements this gen about games that were never released. Announcing a game means squat until it is about a game going gold.

Grinchy

Banned
Just give me a new Killzone.

I think that's a bad idea. I'd love to see a Guerilla Games FPS come out, but not under that name/setting. It's a guaranteed non-seller the second they slap that name on it.

Killzone Shadowfall was a pretty damn great launch game and didn't sell as well as might be expected nor did it have the online presence it deserved. And IMO it's all because it had the name Killzone on it.

Perrott

Gold Member
Sony relies heavily on outsourcing work for their major first-party exclusives, that's how a small developer like Sony Bend managed to deliver a AAA game that rivals Ubisoft's biggest titles in terms of scale and production values. I imagine that Japan Studio will receive support from many external studios for both RaySpace and to a lesser extent Silent Hill.

iHaunter

To fix the frame pacing issues, increase the framerate and give the game a boost in resolution, plus HDR support and QoL improvements... maybe even some sort of raytracing implementation!

I don't think that's worth development time. I'd rather they work on Bloodborne 2.

Tschumi

Very excited about this, i firmly believe I'll be getting a PS5. At the moment I'm pretty interested in Little Devil Inside (weird caricature character notwithstanding) and i think it's the cheapest way for me to experience Cyberpunk in full glory. Looking forward to any new releases of information~

Top Bottom