• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4.6 million people played Destiny's beta

While I agree on the PvE part, most of the time the PvP netcode felt horrible to me.

I often died behind corners or traded kills almost a second later.

I had a few matches which ran completely smooth tho, so I still have hope.

I want to give Bungie the benefit of the doubt here since it was a beta, but it is odd that these things were happening so much. I don't recall Halo having these problems nearly as bad (although it did have other network issues.)

I'm fully expecting it to hit 10 million by the end of the year, no problem.

I think that people will be surprised at PS360 sales. Those who haven't jumped on the Gen 8 bandwagon don't have that much to choose from in terms of shooters this fall. CoD hits in late November, but that's pretty much it in terms of blockbuster FPSs. Destiny's gonna corner that market for a while, and it will surely be one of the best sellers on Gen 8 too.

It'll review well, there's lots of hype for it, there's lots of positive word of mouth from the alpha/beta (despite some issues) and there's probably gonna be a massive marketing push.

Load times seem a bit silly--worst I've seen on PS4 actually. Going to orbit in particular seems like it really shouldn't have load times.

I have no source for this, but I kinda get the feeling that the long load times in PvE are to match up other guardians to populate your particular game instance (just like the game tells you it's doing when you enter PvP). Not sure if the Orbit-system would tie into that, but it feels like the load times were way too variable to be just about streaming data into RAM.

It's not the most balanced PvP in the world, but that was part of the fun because everyone has their own brand of broken. I can't really wrap my mind around some of the request that's practically asking the PvP to be completely changed into a different game altogether.

Got a true belly laugh out of that. Thanks!

I hope they don't change a thing. I love that even though I suck, I can use an overpowered AR to at least stay close to a 1.0 K/D. Then someone who is great can come along and clean up with a Hand Cannon and feel accomplished. If everything was perfectly balanced I wouldn't stand a chance. Sure you'll have great players using beast weapons and going 30 to 0, but that won't be the majority of the matches. Especially with all of the different weapon combos, play styles, and playlists.

Ont

MS is going to pay a high price for letting Bungie go.

I think it was bound to happen anyway, going multiplatform allowed Bungie to do a game like Destiny. Had they been working only for Microsoft or Sony this would not have happened.

Destiny will sell millions on Xbox platforms as well, so its not like Microsoft platforms are missing anything. If the planned 10 year lifecycle for Destiny is true, some timed exclusive DLC is pretty insignificant factor.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Man just when I thought Activison with their Call of Duty franchise will go down in next-gen, Destiny pops up as even bigger franchise than COD. Activision surely will rake in top dollars.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Hopefully the game delivers. They got a great release window. No big game is coming out during that time.

Krilekk

Banned
This is what I was wondering, I want to know the biggest beta and how much it sold. That might give a ballpark to what destiny will sell.

Titanfall had 2 million players for the beta and went on to sell around 1.3 million copies. Destiny will be bigger but it won't sell 10 million.

SerTapTap

PvP is the main draw for me and all my friends actually. People are far too quick to dismiss it IMO.

I don't think it's unimportant, but I think it's more of a side activity, not the main draw. I think it's entirely possible to get Destiny and like it without ever touching PVP, I'm not sure the reverse is possible or even intended to be possible.

I have little doubt that Bungie will remedy many of the issues in PVP. Given their track record, they continue to fix things in their games until the release of their next game; I don't think this will be any different. I think the PVP has incredible potential, but it's certainly held back by a few glaring issues.

Edit: And honestly I still had a blast with it, I probably played between 50-100 games...and that was 2 maps (well 4 if you count Iron Banner)

Yeah, I'm sure PVP will be getting a ton of tweaks and probably the majority of the first couple of months patchnotes will be for PVP. But this isn't Halo where the campaign is set in stone and a thing most people play once and maybe a Legendary run, so I'm sure post-launch support will still include a lot more PvE tweaking than any of Bungie's prior games ever had.

Damerman

Lets hope bungie handles the responsibility of creating potentially the largest franchise since grand theft auto and Call of Duty like they did with Halo. Halo 3 was the perfect example of a game that didn't compromise despite publisher and fan pressure(this, coming from a Sony fanboy at the time).

In Bungie I trust.

Titanfall had 2 million players for the beta and went on to sell around 1.3 million copies. Destiny will be bigger but it won't sell 10 million.

Watch Dogs sold 8 million and Destiny is tracking FAR ahead in preorders. It will easily sell 10 million by year's end.

And your Titanfall receipts are way off. Sounds like US XB1 numbers only.

I don't think it's unimportant, but I think it's more of a side activity, not the main draw. I think it's entirely possible to get Destiny and like it without ever touching PVP, I'm not sure the reverse is possible or even intended to be possible.

I hear ya, however I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie locks some of the really high level gear behind PvP for motivation. Some of the stuff being sold by the Iron Banner vendor was ridiculously powerful.

SerTapTap

I think that people will be surprised at PS360 sales. Those who haven't jumped on the Gen 8 bandwagon don't have that much to choose from in terms of shooters this fall. CoD hits in late November, but that's pretty much it in terms of blockbuster FPSs. Destiny's gonna corner that market for a while, and it will surely be one of the best sellers on Gen 8 too.

I dunno, I know several people who have gen 7 systems only but are considering a gen 8 just for Destiny. I think no-cross-play will push a lot of late-adopters to pick up the next gen version to play with their more hardcore friends, or just play the better version.

I have no source for this, but I kinda get the feeling that the long load times in PvE are to match up other guardians to populate your particular game instance (just like the game tells you it's doing when you enter PvP). Not sure if the Orbit-system would tie into that, but it feels like the load times were way too variable to be just about streaming data into RAM.

The impression I got is there's no "matchmaking" in PVE but rather constantly run instances, just like an MMO, and you're dumped into a particular instance of an area when loading it. It's obviously not a single shared space even in the tower. And sometimes it seems to either load you into an empty instance or move you into an instance later--I've seen some areas where it's really just me, then I move on to another map and boom, people. And I know "Darkness" infected areas (no respawn) are basically private instances, only your fireteam can enter.

edit:
I hear ya, however I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie locks some of the really high level gear behind PvP for motivation. Some of the stuff being sold by the Iron Banner vendor was ridiculously powerful.

From the vendors it looked like they plan PVE and PVP to both, separately, lead to great gear--there's like 20 vanguard tokens vs 20 Crucible tokens for lvl 20 legendary gear. I didn't bother comparing the gear though, but they both seemed rather grindy to get and are both presumably best-of-best stuff. I wonder if there will be PVE "events" like the Iron Banner too. Like super party quests.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

You can get crucible reputation and marks by handling spinmetal and other materials to the crucible quartermaster, effectively allowing you to access that gear without ever setting foot in a crucible match.

It's gonna be somewhat slowish, but it's doable.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
There hasn't been a game that every single one of my friends is getting since MW2. All of them are getting Destiny. It's just one of those games you can feel how big it's going to be. I think Bungie might hit 15m sales with this one, definitely 10m. Well deserved too, I haven't been sucked into a game as hard as I was this past weekend in years.

Fuchsdh

I'm wondering if the Beta isn't going to be as good for Destiny as is supposed. Right now Destiny is just crossplatform Titanfall in hype from my vantage point. I saw more people playing the hell out of Titanfall and enjoying it… and then dropping off and not playing the retail game afterwards.

With Destiny we've essentially played a huge chunk of Earth, judging by the one-location business… so there might be people who feel like they scratched their itch with the beta.

Game's still going to do well for a new IP though, considering the crossplatform setup, Bungie pedigree and Activision's marketing machine.

I want to give Bungie the benefit of the doubt here since it was a beta, but it is odd that these things were happening so much. I don't recall Halo having these problems nearly as bad (although it did have other network issues.)

Huh? Bungie netcode has always been bad.

Has dedicated servers been confirmed for x1?

Orayn

I think it could be possible with a few adjustments. Glimmer and XP for PvP kills would need to be higher and scale aggressively with level, post-match rewards would have to be somewhat more abundant to make up for the lack of loot, and PvP bounties would need to be less time-consuming. (I could blow through a set of three PvE bounties in 20 minutes without much trouble in the beta, but the PvP ones were pretty specific and hard to accomplish by comparison.)

Pretty sure PvP is peer to peer on every platform.

There hasn't been a game that every single one of my friends is getting since MW2. All of them are getting Destiny. It's just one of those games you can feel how big it's going to be. I think Bungie might hit 15m sales with this one, definitely 10m. Well deserved too, I haven't been sucked into a game as hard as I was this past weekend in years.

pretty much this.

It's not often that EVERYONE I know is on board and we are planning nights to play.

it happened with Halo's and it happened with MW2

its happening with Destiny.

Vooduu

Haters ya miss

X50NPcK.jpg
Lmao damn

Loved it so much going to try to hunt down that Ghost Edition.

Same here... *cries*

I was referring to the delayed kills. (In Halo) I rarely had the issue where you deal the final blow, only to have the kill confirmation pop up up to 3 or 4 seconds later. If host had a high ping, maybe, but generally I just don't remember that happening often. In Destiny it was rampant.

Big number. I played it last weekend on Xbone when it opened up for everyone, and thought it was slick. I'll buy it in September, I'd imagine it'll be a great game for the long-term. I hope so anyway.

JCX

My top played games on PS4 this year have been InFamous, Destiny Alpha and Destiny Beta. If not for Destiny, I probably wouldn't play it much.

cakely

Someone wasn't around for the launch of vanilla WoW.

That being said, if they launch the way Blizzard now does with their WoW expansions, then it'll be a great experience.

Actually, i was.

Compared to the MMOs that had launched before it, WoW had an absolutely brilliant launch.

ethomaz

Banned
This beta delivered... can't wait the full game.

BTW September NPD will have PS4 over 500k units... crazy.

4.6million. if those were game sales would Destiny turn a profit?
It needs 10 million, no? Edit - Seems like it was a bad twitter... not confirmed.

Top Bottom