• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

So, this is odd. Amazon no makes you add the X800 to your cart to see the price. But, it has actually gone back up to $238. Last time I saw, it was down to $213. Wonder why they made it hidden now.

New002

Man what's with these 4k/3d combo sets being limited Best Buy Steelbook exclusives :/

Just started looking into these like with Kong and GotG2 and both are sold out ofc. I assumed these would be available as standard sets everywhere. Whoops.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Man what's with these 4k/3d combo sets being limited Best Buy Steelbook exclusives :/

Just started looking into these like with Kong and GotG2 and both are sold out ofc. I assumed these would be available as standard sets everywhere. Whoops.

My advice for anyone still collecting 3D is to preorder or get it day one. This goes for limited and standard releases. Finding 3D in stores is becoming harder and harder these days.

New002

My advice for anyone still collecting 3D is to preorder or get it day one. This goes for limited and standard releases. Finding 3D in stores is becoming harder and harder these days.

Lesson learned. I never would have thought a combo pack like this would be a limited retailer exclusive. How shitty.

I mean...it seems at least with Kong you can still get 4k and 3D versions separately, but that's obviously more expensive.

mm04

To add to this, buy it from Amazon UK instead if you don't mind the wait. It's (currently) cheaper, region free and sometimes has 3D releases which don't come to the USA ever or much later. I got The Great Wall in 3D for $20, which is a fun popcorn flick and it's BEAUTIFUL and has Atmos. Amazon UK movies get to me about a week after they're shipped from the UK to Southern California. I have 5+ 3D Blu-rays pre-ordered already.

To add to this, buy it from Amazon UK instead if you don't mind the wait. It's (currently) cheaper, region free and sometimes has 3D releases which don't come to the USA ever or much later. I got The Great Wall in 3D for $20, which is a fun popcorn flick and it's BEAUTIFUL and has Atmos. Amazon UK movies get to me about a week after they're shipped from the UK to Southern California. I have 5+ 3D Blu-rays pre-ordered already.

Awesome. I have a UK account so this is perfect. Thanks for that.

golem

Just watched some of GOTG2 in 4K.. looks great but I have to say I prefer the 3D presentation.

Also got Blade Runner. Great transfer although since there are alot of dark scenes some don't improve that much over the Blu Ray. Im guessing its a limitation of what was filmed. Fifth Element is still probably the best film transfer Ive seen.

StMeph

I'm amazed the discs are actually messed up as some advance reviewers noticed in theirs.

Mine shipped, but probably won't be here for another few days. The X800 isn't here until the 11th anyway, so no rush to me.

Jashobeam

Spider-Man: Homecoming is out on Oct. 17, the cover looks hideous. (Blingual / French Canadian version)

lqX02XR.jpg

I have the steelbook preordered at bestbuy, hopefully it doesn't look like shit like the Wonder Woman steelbook.

mm04

I have the steelbook preordered at bestbuy, hopefully it doesn't look like shit like the Wonder Woman steelbook.

C'mon Marvel. Be consistent. 4K + 3D for GotG2 but not for Spiderman? Ugh. Not cancelling my Amazon UK 3D pre-order then.

Watched GotG2 in 4k over the weekend- thought it looked really really good. I think Planet Earth 2 still tops my list of best looking 4k though..

C'mon Marvel. Be consistent. 4K + 3D for GotG2 but not for Spiderman? Ugh. Not cancelling my Amazon UK 3D pre-order then.

This is a Sony distributed blu-ray, right?

They did 4k+3d for Ghostbusters last year. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

mm04

This is a Sony distributed blu-ray, right?

They did 4k+3d for Ghostbusters last year. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

Passengers, which is also Sony, was 4K + 3D as well. I guess because it's Spider-Man, they want to whammy our wallets.

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy coming to 4K 10/17.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...u-ray-collection-officially-announced-a153659

Special Features:
Spider-Man 3: Editor's Cut – an alternate version of the 2007 blockbuster, supervised by Academy Award-winning original editor Bob Murawski
Spider-Man 2.1 – the action-packed extended version of Spider-Man 2, featuring eight minutes of additional footage
The Stan Lee Legacy: From Comic Book to Homecoming – icon Stan Lee looks back at the history of Spider-Man and the character's cinematic adventures
Over 30 hours of archival special features, including commentaries, behind-the-scenes featurettes, gag reels, webisodes, music videos and much more!

Also, Marc Webb's.

Special Features:
The Stan Lee Legacy: From Comic Book to Homecoming – icon Stan Lee looks back at the history of Spider-Man and the character's cinematic adventures
Over 15 Rare Archival Featurettes
Nearly 10 hours of additional archival special features, including commentaries, behind-the-scenes featurettes, deleted scenes, music videos and much more!

soundtest

Banned
If sony doesnt do a spiderman homecoming 4k+3d bundle then the hope would be that someone like Best Buy does it for them like they did with GOTG2.

Sucks if Sony bails on bundling them though. They were one of the good guys when it came to 4k+3d.

Also, my 4k Blade Runner redeemed through wb.com/redeemdigital gave me a UHD version on Vudu. Thank goodness.

And last, lol I wouldn't want to see those Raimi spidermen in 4k. Those sfx shots were already top tier trash in their day, 4k will only make them look abysmal.

Also, my 4k Blade Runner redeemed through wb.com/redeemdigital gave me a UHD version on Vudu. Thank goodness.

Too bad it doesn't provide a UHD copy of the documentary 3.5 hour acclaimed documentary that's in the set. :(

And last, lol I wouldn't want to see those Raimi spidermen in 4k. Those sfx shots were already top tier trash in their day, 4k will only make them look abysmal.

Those effects shots aren't going to look any different in 4K given they certainly were rendered in 2K anyway.

soundtest

Banned
Also, for people willing to wait on Wonder Woman: again, WB has decided to split the 4K and 3D blus. HOWEVER, if you order from Amazon France, they have a 4k+3d bundle labeled as the Ultimate Edition that ships later in the year for 33 Euros with shipping included to the states and it's listed as region free.

You'll have to VPN to redeem the digital code but hey, it's still a decent price for what it is.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
How is John Wick 1 and 2 4k releases? I've never seen the movies and am interested. Waiting on Pacific Rim from Amazon right now.

Westonian

How is John Wick 1 and 2 4k releases? I've never seen the movies and am interested. Waiting on Pacific Rim from Amazon right now.

John Wick is a nice upgrade from the Blu-ray, but not amazing (The Blu-ray already had the awesome Atmos track). Chapter 2 is amazeballs! One of the best 4K discs available to date.

a916

Spider-Man: Homecoming is out on Oct. 17, the cover looks hideous. (Blingual / French Canadian version)

lqX02XR.jpg

What's with that cover? :(

senahorse

GotG is a fantastic transfer, but I am still most impressed by my first UHD purchase, Planet Earth.

My crappy phone pics don't do it justice, it's just real reference quality material.

I was swearing at first, I will not buy any UHDs I already own on BD but I am about to break that promise with Bladerunner.

We watch movies on a 120" projector screen with a JVC RS420 (Fauk-K/E-Shift) with 7.1 sound and BDs still look and sound incredible. However the improvements of UHD are just too hard for me to pass up. Being a projector it struggles with HDR due to the amount of light output but as we have a bat cave I think it's adequate, however it still generally requires high lamp mode which is a little too noisy for my liking. So instead we use a HD Fury Integral so that we can still get BT 2020 colour and have HDR disabled (basically getting the WCG advantages but without the increased brightness/highlights with HDR), and the results are stunning. Not only are we getting the benefits of the 4K, WCG, but we are also guaranteed a 7.1 mix every time which I just can't overlook. Now I am in a holding pattern waiting for more UHD releases vs completing my library with BD, it's doing my head in haha.

brau

Anyone with a LG B7 or similar know how to display the stats of the tv on screen? Usually a pop up shows for HDR or atmos. But no idea if it's running in 4k on Netflix.

glow

Banned
Anyone with a LG B7 or similar know how to display the stats of the tv on screen? Usually a pop up shows for HDR or atmos. But no idea if it's running in 4k on Netflix.

I have a B6. Are you using the Netflix app on tvOS?

brau

I have a B6. Are you using the Netflix app on tvOS?

Yes. YouTube has the nerd stats in there. But Netlfix has no indication as to which resolution it's playing it. On my x800d the info button would do the trick.

Amazon Prime has it included in the UI as well.

The three old discs included in the Blade Runner set are literally the old discs used since 2007 with identical silkscreening. Makes me wonder if they are recycling unsold discs into the new set.

And of course, at some point they realized if they included the discs that they advertised they would be labeled Disc One, Disc Two, Disk Four.

So instead we got Disk Three, the theatrical cuts.

glow

Banned
Yes. YouTube has the nerd stats in there. But Netlfix has no indication as to which resolution it's playing it. On my x800d the info button would do the trick.

Amazon Prime has it included in the UI as well.

I don't think there's any way to bring up the stats on that app. You just have to know what you're watching. If you have the 4K plan and you're watching something available in 4K, you just have to assume it is. If it's got Dolby Vision HDR obviously you'll know it from the prompt that'll come up on the screen

brau

I don't think there's any way to bring up the stats on that app. You just have to know what you're watching. If you have the 4K plan and you're watching something available in 4K, you just have to assume it is. If it's got Dolby Vision HDR obviously you'll know it from the prompt that'll come up on the screen

Hmm.. I have not seen the Dolby vision prompt come up on Netflix yet. I do have the 4k plan tho.

aravuus

The regular remote doesn't have an info button, but there are tons of magic remote apps for smartphones that have it. I've been using this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.app1&hl=en
You can see the info button there in the third picture. Having to download something extra for the simple info functionality is a pain, but the app turned out to be much more useful than I expected.

I would imagine there are tons of similar apps for iPhones too.

e: also check out Jessica Jones for example to see if the DV pop-up appears. If not, maybe you don't have the 4k Netflix subscription? I know I hadn't realized I was still on the full HD sub when I got my B7.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I want to see a high frame rate documentary. Like, 60fps 4k HDR. It would be mind blowing.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk is true 4K (captured at twice the pixels of 4K and finished at 4K) HDR at 60fps on UHD. Not a documentary, though.

brau

The regular remote doesn't have an info button, but there are tons of magic remote apps for smartphones that have it. I've been using this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.app1&hl=en
You can see the info button there in the third picture. Having to download something extra for the simple info functionality is a pain, but the app turned out to be much more useful than I expected.

I would imagine there are tons of similar apps for iPhones too.

e: also check out Jessica Jones for example to see if the DV pop-up appears. If not, maybe you don't have the 4k Netflix subscription? I know I hadn't realized I was still on the full HD sub when I got my B7.

I know I can notice the bump from HD to UHD. I also get the Dolby HDR logo to pop up. I just have not noticed the HDR+ on daredevil or so. I know I had the 4k sub before moving on my x800d in the USA. Maybe it changed here?

I'll download the app. Any other useful apps? Do you use one for your sound bar?

Top Bottom