• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

I saw that Xbox is now selling UHD digital movies (saw Guardians 2). Anyone check the quality on those? $24.95 or whatever.. I'll wait for the disk.. But if the quality is good enough I might get a few since I have Xbox credit out the wazoo.

I watched a digital copy with DV on vudu and it is beautiful. Not sure what HDR formats the Xbox has for their digital files.

I almost bought a used copy of Logan today on 4K bluray - I don't have a 4K blu ray player but I thought it was an okay price and was supposed to come with the regular blu ray anyway.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This is a great thread!

I have a KS8000 which I got primarily because of the PS4 Pro, however I do plan on slowly building a home theater system and I would assume it really starts with the receiver next, and then a good pair of 2.0 speakers to start, then sub, then more speakers, etc etc.

Regarding the receiver, I've been eyeing this seemingly heavily discounted Denon AVR-X3300W list price $999 and currently $599. I assume this is only going to last as long as there are old inventory. I assume the X3400W will be coming very soon?

Is this receiver a good investment for the next few years? Or is it missing anything significant that should be coming in the next year? Thank you!

I'm currently using the x3300 in my 4k setup and it's fantastic. It also has preouts for extra power when needed in the future.

Servbot24

Banned
Is this the appropriate place to talk speakers? I don't have any for my Samsung KS8000 so I'm looking into picking some up.

Weird I just watch mine today, clearly better than every other uhd bd I owned since most of them are 2k upscaled. Infact I just watch Dredd uhd right after too and it does not hold up against gits. Might have something to do with hdr calibration on their TV because it happen to me a few time when the xbone doesn't output hdr for some reason. I think the xbone s is not a very good uhd player, notice stuttering and weird video output issue far too often. i hope uhd drive for pc will come down in price soon.
Weird High Def digest gave it 5/5 in 4K Video Quality
It's not ugly, but it definitely feels flat and lacks the HDR pop of other films with similar dark palettes like John Wick Chapter 2. I never saw it in theaters, so I can't say if it's the result of poor authoring or if it was the look the director intended.
Well, when I get round to watching I'll form my own opinion. Wasn't sure if the 2k DI is being held up as the reason (it's suggested as the film was shot in 5K so why not a 4k DI) but as I said, I'm not sure if that is an issue or not. As for the reviewers TV calibration, it's from a very well respected AV site in the UK that's been going for 10+yrs. They know their stuff.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
How does Vudu quality compare to physical discs?

definitely doesn't have the bitrate and you can sort of tell sometimes in the hyper fast motion (it's not like, really bad, but it's definitely more compressed).

that said, stands up well.

color wise it's pretty damn spectacular tho in DV, looks perfect

definitely doesn't have the bitrate and you can sort of tell sometimes in the hyper fast motion (it's not like, really bad, but it's definitely more compressed).

that said, stands up well.

color wise it's pretty damn spectacular tho in DV, looks perfect
Decisions decisions.

Also, can anyone help me with something? I'm using my Xbox One S to play 4K blu rays for now but one weird thing is that every now and again I get a blurry outline around people on the screen, it's a really weird effect and have been wondering how to fix it. I have a LG B6 OLED and am using HDR Vivid default setting.

Returned my Samsung hw950 sound bar system as I hated basically everything about it and bought an onkyo home theatre In a box which includes some upward firing front speaker combos and a receiver that can do atmos as well as everything else, and the whole thing cost less than the sound bar with rears from Samsung.
It sounds much better, is louder, and everything works. The only hassle is the cable rat nest at the back, but whatever.

Could you tell me what onkyo you went with? I current have the hw950, bought last week open box for 887. It's a little bigger than I'd like and I haven't been blown away by the sound yet.

Realyst

Decisions decisions.

Also, can anyone help me with something? I'm using my Xbox One S to play 4K blu rays for now but one weird thing is that every now and again I get a blurry outline around people on the screen, it's a really weird effect and have been wondering how to fix it. I have a LG B6 OLED and am using HDR Vivid default setting.

Turning TruMotion off should eliminate that blur.

I've been rewatching all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies on Blu-ray lately with my younger brother leading up to the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 release, and damn is the video and and audio quality great on them. I hadn't watched some on Blu-ray, and I had never watched any on my new receiver. I love how much watching movies at home has evolved over the years. I think I might now prefer watching movies on my home setup than at a theater (though I still love that experience).

-griffy-

Banned
I just ordered the LG UP970 and John Wick 2 UHD in prep for the GOTG2 release. Hopefully the player gets the Dolby Vision firmware update before GOTG2 is out.

Could you tell me what onkyo you went with? I current have the hw950, bought last week open box for 887. It's a little bigger than I'd like and I haven't been blown away by the sound yet.
This one
https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/on...nel-network-receiver-and-speaker-package.html

Comes with all the color coded speaker wire, it helps if you have stands for the front speakers so the top firing part can bounce but honestly once it's setup you are never gonna think "damn this atmos sound isn't placing the heli above my head quite right"

LogicStep

I was going to ask but then saw it in the OP. So the 4k Blu Ray usually come with a regular Blu Ray bundled in right?

I have a bunch of BR movies but I'm thinking on getting the UHD version of whatever movies I buy going forward because I'm really considering getting a new TV either this year or next if I can get a good one for a good price on BF. So I guess it would make sense to get the UHD releases.

I was going to ask but then saw it in the OP. So the 4k Blu Ray usually come with a regular Blu Ray bundled in right?

I have a bunch of BR movies but I'm thinking on getting the UHD version of whatever movies I buy going forward because I'm really considering getting a new TV either this year or next if I can get a good one for a good price on BF. So I guess it would make sense to get the UHD releases.

Yeah, same as a lot of early BD releases: they usually come with the previous format's disc to get people to have discs and eventually incept an upgrade "well, I have these blu-rays, might as well get a blu-ray player now".

I like it because it means I can lend my dad the standard blu-ray instead of the DVD.

Anyone having issues with uhd blurays skipping on the xbone? Seems to happen every 20 or 30 minutes with mine. I have brand new HDMI cables running to my receiver and to my xbox so it's not a bandwidth problem.

h3ro

Save the sarcasm, was just disappointed that the film wasn't shot at a higher resolution. Glad that the HDR/DV is of high quality.

Planet Earth 2 continues to be my favorite film to just have on running in the background.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Oh noes!

/s

http://yedlin.net/ResDemo/#

It's not important at all.

i understand people want to educate others but there's no need to be flippant about it.
All else being equal i would prefer a 4k transfer than a 2k uprez AND beautiful HDR. Studios have been putting out lazy transfers since the start of blu-ray format. I dont think we should just say well 4k isnt that great so studios can get away with not offering the best.

I'm not just some idiot, i shoot photography. I have used 12mpx 4/3rds cameras, to 6x17 large format film cameras that i hand scanned myself, to 80mpx medium format digital. I understand resolution is logarithmic not linear. That said, I can see clear differences in my 80mpx files than my nikon d800 36mpx files. All else being equal I would take my 80mpx camera back in a heartbeat.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that this will be like when blu ray was new and I bought all those 'remasters' only to have to buy them 2/3 years later when the studios actually bothered.

'True 4K/DolVis' Ghost in the Shell to be released in early 2019 kind of thing, y'know?

Edit
Just a heads-up, Zavvi have the 4K editions of Blade Runner up for pre-order, out September.

They also have a limited edition (£40) that has:
4K Final Cut
HD Final Cut
HD Directors Cut
HD Domestic Cut
HD International Cut
HD Workprint (I think - It says 'workprint featurette', 'workprint introduction', 'workprint commentary' - so I assume it actually contains the workprint).

Also has a disturbing number of features, interviews, screentests, etc..

Is Dolby Vision something that can be added to the ks8000 via firmware or does that require a new piece of hardware?

The short answer is that software implemented Dolbyvision is entirely possible in a general sense, but I can't talk specifically about the ks8000. It used to be hardware implementation only but that's not true anymore. Samsung doesn't seem interested in DV, though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...-tv-could-soon-get-dolby-vision/#36155fe34664

”There are implementations that can run Dolby Vision in software, certainly in the console space but also in the TV SoC space. Specifics vary on a case-by-case basis depending on the hardware capability of the silicon in question, but we have development kits for various types of implementations, depending on the application: full hardware, hybrid of software and hardware or full software."
It's tempting to think that software versions of Dolby Vision might not run as effectively or efficiently as hardware implementations. However, when I put this to Dolby Laboratories' VP of Consumer Imaging, Roland Vlaicu, at January's CES, he confirmed that there was no loss of performance when running Dolby Vision purely in software, adding that a software implementation would only pass Dolby's rigorous certification procedures if it worked without any performance compromises.
Dolby's HDR system also has another brain-bending advantage up its sleeve: the ability to run over old HDMI 1.4 connections. It doesn't need kit with HDMI 2.0a jacks like the industry standard HDR10 format does.

I've been thinking about buying the Sony UBP X800 as my dedicated 4k player over an Xbox. Will the difference in video quality be substantial? Does the bluray upscaler work well?

Westonian

I've been thinking about buying the Sony UBP X800 as my dedicated 4k player over an Xbox. Will the difference in video quality be substantial? Does the bluray upscaler work well?

I doubt it will be substantial (maybe the upscaler is, I couldn't say). Any visual quality improvements are going to be subtle. However it will be quieter. And it will not have as many playback issues of certain discs.

Top Bottom