• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K Video Gaming is already here (Toshiba Video Demo )

Demon Ice

Banned
Ok if the fastest video card on the market is struggling to hit 30 fps at that res how in the hell is the PS4 gonna manage that? I am not looking forward to sub-HD games being upscaled to 4K.

No, and this is one of those fools that think we shouldn't have 4K until we fully utilize 1080. Sure, let's hold new tech back until we squeeze everything out of old out-dated tech.

Man, listen to these speakers. Can you hear how clear they are? They're rated for 75,000hz. Tweeters never sounded so good. Listen to all that DETAIL in the 2-5hz range. That super-low bass, man, really rounds out the auditory landscape!

It's not a matter of squeezing the most from out of date tech. It's recognizing that the human eye, in tandem with the human brain, needs an image to be extremely large (or you're sitting extremely close, or the pixels are so tightly packed it might possibly be powered by Apple-brand black holes) in order to discern a difference between 1080p and 4k. I used that article because it explains things pretty clearly. At some point, you hit the limits of auditory/visual perception in the human body.

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so glad 4K is getting pushed. Even if it's not affordable now, it eventually will be. I also don't understand this argument of "most people don't have _______ so it's not worth pursuing". While I don't have hard statistics, I know a TON of people that have bought 46"+ TVs in the last few years because HDTVs have boomed. It's not really unrealistic to shell out $800+ on a new TV nowadays.

But of course, we need 4K content and that's a separate issue all together. Master race ftw! :D

def sim

Ok if the fastest video card on the market is struggling to hit 30 fps at that res how in the hell is the PS4 gonna manage that? I am not looking forward to sub-HD games being upscaled to 4K.

I'm sure you will be fine with 1080p, 60fps upscaled to 4K.

Mastperf

Rather have crystal clear motion handling over increased resolution since I move In most of the games I play.
Boy ain't that the truth. This race for increased resolution while still using tech that's terrible for motion is baffling. Who cares what res the tv can push when it drops to a fraction of that when anything moves. I see people buying monster rigs to play pc games at crazy resolutions and hooking them up to displays that are the worst tech to maintain that res while playing

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm sure you will be fine with 1080p, 60fps upscaled to 4K.

Isn't that still being upscaled to 4x it's resolution? I'm not really familiar with how well LCDs handle that kind of upscaling. How did 720p look on 1080p TV's? I know when I run games at anything other than my monitor's native res, it looks awful.

Man, listen to these speakers. Can you hear how clear they are? They're rated for 75,000hz. Tweeters never sounded so good. Listen to all that DETAIL in the 2-5hz range. That super-low bass, man, really rounds out the auditory landscape!

It's not a matter of squeezing the most from out of date tech. It's recognizing that the human eye, in tandem with the human brain, needs an image to be extremely large (or you're sitting extremely close, or the pixels are so tightly packed it might possibly be powered by Apple-brand black holes) in order to discern a difference between 1080p and 4k. I used that article because it explains things pretty clearly. At some point, you hit the limits of auditory/visual perception in the human body.

You can't compare audio spectrum to the difference between a noticeable 1080 to 4k, especially since ears are nowhere as complex and information grabbing as the eye. And it doesn't have to be extremely large. Again, you're confusing resolution and ppi. 4K isn't the limit of the human eye, unless your tv is stupidly small and you're too far away.

Talk when you see one in person.

Mastperf

Isn't that still being upscaled to 4x it's resolution? I'm not really familiar with how well LCDs handle that kind of upscaling. How did 720p look on 1080p TV's? I know when I run games at anything other than my monitor's native res, it looks awful.

PC monitors tend to have terrible scalers while hdtv's do much better with scaling.

Blasty

I'm so glad 4K is getting pushed. Even if it's not affordable now, it eventually will be. I also don't understand this argument of "most people don't have _______ so it's not worth pursuing". While I don't have hard statistics, I know a TON of people that have bought 46"+ TVs in the last few years because HDTVs have boomed. It's not really unrealistic to shell out $800+ on a new TV nowadays.

But of course, we need 4K content and that's a separate issue all together. Master race ftw! :D

That isn't really the logic used (for me at least). I just wish they would focus on other ares rather than adding more pixels which isn't very important. I'm willing to bet that the people who have large enough televisions, sit close enough to fully enjoy 4K's benefits, or even can differentiate between the resolutions are in a very small minority.

Basically, I find 4K to be a pointless and unnecessary cost.

Iceblade

Considering that the latest retina display Macs look way better than 1080p, the difference is indeed noticeable.

Pretty much this. I'm no technophile, but the Retina display convinced me that screen quality can go above and beyond what you already thought was crystal clear quality. Arguments against 4K are based in reality I'm sure, but they can't help but remind me of the "HUMAN EYE CAN'T SEE BEYOND 30fps" faux pas.

onQ123

Human eye can only see 1078 pixels.

so any video or image that's over 30 x 36 is useless?

mediums.png

Teletraan1

Banned
Good luck convincing all those people who finally upgraded their tube TVs and can't tell the difference between 480p and 1080p to upgrade again.

In 5 years when those upgraded TVs shit the bed cause everything is built to break they will upgrade to whatever is available at the time and it will be 4k.

You can't compare audio spectrum to the difference between a noticeable 1080 to 4k, especially since ears are nowhere as complex and information grabbing as the eye. And it doesn't have to be extremely large. Again, you're confusing resolution and ppi. 4K isn't the limit of the human eye, unless your tv is stupidly small and you're too far away.

Talk when you see one in person.

Did you even read what I linked? It's not as if the arguments you're making aren't being addressed at all. They are. for example:

"Geoff. As an expert you should know that contrast and color fidelity are also directly related to the number of pixels. If you have an area of 400 pixels to display 2,000 grades of color you will be able to display only 400 out of those 2,000. Now if you have an area of 1,600 pixels, you will be able to display 4 times more grades of color." Posted by "Muzztard"

This is an interesting comment. Using the current TV system (which I'll discuss in a moment), each pixel could be used to potentially show a different shade of color. More pixels, more visible shades per gradation. However, the eye's color resolution is significantly worse than its black-and-white vision. I'd argue it would be unlikely most people would see a difference for all the same reasons mentioned above. However, unlike the strict stance I took against the increase in resolution, I see some validity in "Muzztard's" argument. When 4K TVs do inevitably ship, I look forward to testing this aspect. Seeing as most people don't notice, care, or adjust their TVs away from inaccurate color, I don't think this is going to be a major selling point. Not sure how it could increase contrast, though. That part I don't get.

For the many other comments about how 4K will increase color accuracy, or any of the other regurgitated Apple marketing hype from their Retina displays, these are flat-out wrong. The pixels themselves don't have anything to do with color accuracy. Our current TV system is 8-bit, which means 256 steps (0-255, though generally only 16-235 are used, so 219 steps, but let's not nitpick). This is for each of the three colors, so there are a possible 16,777,216 colors (256x256x256). In reality, there are more variables than this simple math, but I'm getting off track. If you increase the bit depth of the video system, to say 10-bit, now you have over a billion colors (1,024x1,024x1,024). More bits, more gradations, and a smoother picture. More bits, more gradations, more subtle shades of color. While we're at it, how about expanding the color palette so there are even deeper, more realistic colors to choose from?

Except, we're not talking about any of that. We're talking about the resolution. If you want to talk about increasing bit depth or expanding the color palette, I'm game for the conversation. Just increasing the number of pixels won't do any of these.

Oersted

To experience the most insane video-gamging ever, get a 4K Quad-FHD screen from Toshiba and connect a powerful PC with a 4K-capable latest/fastest GPU such as ATI 7970 and Nvidia 680, you can then play many of the latest big high-end games that thus render the full 3840x2160 of the game at 30fps, it looks awesome.

on a pc. sigh...

people seriously need to fix their primaries

Shai-Tan

Banned

People already run multi monitor setups that are pushing 5760 x 1200 so it should be OK in a few years when it's financially viable to own a 4k tv. Sure you need SLI/Xfire to actually get good frame rates in games like Battlefield 3 with all options maxed but the cost of the TV dwarfs the cost of that graphics hardware.

Pretty much this. I'm no technophile, but the Retina display convinced me that screen quality can go above and beyond what you already thought was crystal clear quality. Arguments against 4K are based in reality I'm sure, but they can't help but remind me of the "HUMAN EYE CAN'T SEE BEYOND 30fps" faux pas.

Yup. While there is a biological limit to what the eye can perceive, we haven't reached it yet.

For audio, we've reached that point. We've been listening to 44100hz 16-bit CD audio for three decades now, and for anything higher, the difference is either imperceptible, or so minuscule that it's not worth doing.

Considering that the latest retina display Macs look way better than 1080p, the difference is indeed noticeable.

Like all other graphics and display technology, it will be a luxury for the first few years, then soon enough we'll be saying 1080p looks like crap vs 4k, just like SD looks bad compared to HD today.

Exactly. People on smaller screens are appreciating resolutions well above 1080p. But for televisions and games.... Totally worthless.

Gamer logic!

Blasty

Exactly. People on smaller screens are appreciating resolutions well above 1080p. But for televisions and games.... Totally worthless.

Gamer logic!

That's because the viewing distances are larger. Not mention that on a TV, you aren't doing things like regularly reading text and graphic designing.

Zabka

Only 4K? My damn iPad is running at 2K resolution and it's less than 10 inches.

Give me 8K you sons of bitches.

delta25

Banned
Fortunately or unfortunately which ever you think, being a console gamer has giving me the ability of not having to subject myself to needing a uber high res, meaning I'll take what I can get.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Someone needs to archive this thread. I'm certain that a vast majority of those posting here will change their tune; and in ten years say that they've "seen the light" and can no longer watch 1080p content.

Just like broadband.
Just like 720/1080 HD.
Just like SSDs.

3840x2160

wat?

was 1920x1080p called 2k resolution?

In the film industry, they measure resolution horizontally, not vertically. So yes - many films you saw digitally projected at the theater only had 1080 lines of vertical resolution. the compression was just a lot better because the hard-drive fit 150gigs instead of the 50gigs your blu-ray can hold.

flippedb

Banned
I really can't see the use of this. Blu Rays don't come in this resolution, neither do games or TV, we'd be making huge upscales just to fill out the TV.

It is useless in 2012 and will continue to be useless until 2014. People will change to 4k in 2016, so 1080p is here to stay.

I love new tech and all and resolution can definitely inxrease but as someone not interested in huge tvs 4k seems worthless. If i were building a home theater than hell yes but i dont see this being mainstrea for a long time like not even in the next decade.

Mastperf

Someone needs to archive this thread. I'm certain that a vast majority of those posting here will change their tune; and in ten years say that they've "seen the light" and can no longer watch 1080p content.

Just like broadband.
Just like 720/1080 HD.
Just like SSDs.

Well, in 10 years time we'll be in the console gen after next and it will matter to everyone then. Ten years is a massive amount of time in tv tech.

Quixz

The guy pointed out that the TV was connected to the PC via a single HDMI limited to 30hz/FPS.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love the advancement of technology. The people who don't must be Nintendo fans.

Herp.

I'm not against this in a holding back tech way. I'm against this because it's going to be a stupid business decision for all involved. It took YEARS and a federally mandated digital switch to make HD TV in a majority of houses.

No way will enough people think this is a big enough reason to switch again.

Also do people really expect tv broadcasters to make a huge switch to this in the mext decade when most of them wont even output past 720 npw?

Top Bottom