• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Viewsonic team up to release the first 4k gaming projector designed for Xbox.

Launch video,

http://www.100tmt.com/news/digi/20230323/7615.html
 News reported on March 23 that, according to TechPowerUp, ViewSonic has launched a new X1-4K projector and X2-4K short-throw projector, claiming to be the world's first "designed for Xbox" projector.

According to reports, the new X1-4K and X2-4K projectors can provide smooth 4K ultra-high-definition visuals on a large 100-inch screen, and are equipped with Harman Kardon speakers for cinema-quality sound.

Dean Tsai, General Manager of ViewSonic's Projector and LED Display Business Unit, said: "We are excited to partner with Microsoft to bring the best gaming experience to Xbox gamers with our latest X-Series LED projectors. We will continue to innovate our projectors solutions to enhance the home entertainment experience for all."

According to reports, this series of projectors not only echoes the design of Xbox Series X in appearance, but also has Xbox's unique resolution and refresh rate, plus the projector's 4.2 millisecond ultra-fast input and 240 Hz refresh rate, ensuring players Can enjoy a perfectly smooth gaming experience.

The ViewSonic X1-4K and X2-4K LED projectors will be available in the second quarter.
ViewSonic_X1_4K_X2_4K.jpg

X1-4K_LF05_pc_l.png

ffe8c6e0f9be4b2d9795e7e5649b3df2.png

So this was apparently what was brought up at GDC, a partnership between Xbox and Viewsonic for a branded projector for Xbox gaming. The projectors will be released during Q2 of this year featuring 4L graphics and a 100inch screen projection and Harman Kardon speakers.

The projector also has the Series X resolution and it's refresh rate.

Looks like it may be something to look into if you are into projectors, but when the price is revealed I'm betting it's going to be quite costly.

Last edited:
What is this special XSX resolution? It supports 1080p, 1440p and 4K. What is special about XSX res and refresh rate?

I am thoroughly confused. Or is this mainly branding shit?

It's optimized resolution for Xbox consoles, and matched sync for the frame rates without a separate independent buffering. So you don't have to adjust the settings config.

Some projectors are really nice... IN THE DARK ... but all are shit in a lighted room.
So is oled tv. In bright rooms they’re almost the same. I love projectors. Got an 130 inch image using a Epson TW9400. Not a single tv comes close to that experience and I’m looking for a good laser projector now to replace the Epson.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This will be expensive, but they already made some bullshit deals, like that with Bang and Olufsen for that headset for how much 600USD or something? I can see this being RTX4090 money, even more.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Short throw is literally in the first line of the article quote lol.
Tech evolved, short throw now basically means you place it a couple of inches from the wall, on a TV board etc.

This here not so much, this the worst place to put it. Its always in the way. Need to put it on a little table with cables and all that, meh.

Last edited:

Three

I'm into projectors but what's the lumens on this one? Looks like one of those shitty cheap ones that are dim.

Edit: 2,900, yeah no thanks.

this will price itself out of success
It won't be, the specs aren't that high.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Tech evolved, short throw now basically means you place it a couple of inches from the wall, on a TV board etc.

This there here not so much, this the worst place to put it. Its always in the way. Need to put it on a little table with cables and all that, meh.
Short throw and ultra short throw have always been separate things. You're thinking of ultra short throw units.

Last edited:

fermcr

Nice, 4k projector.

Wouldn't mind having this to make a home cinema... and watch Avatar 2 :messenger_beermugs:

Last edited:

Brucey

What is this special XSX resolution? It supports 1080p, 1440p and 4K. What is special about XSX res and refresh rate?

I am thoroughly confused. Or is this mainly branding shit?
I'm thinking it has to be the 1440p rez support. 1080p and 4k are a given in any modern projector (whether it uses a native 4k panel or some kind of wobulation to simulate it notwithstanding)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So is oled tv. In bright rooms they’re almost the same. I love projectors. Got an 130 inch image using a Epson TW9400. Not a single tv comes close to that experience and I’m looking for a good laser projector now to replace the Epson.

Lol, almost the same? No. Your definately sacrificing picture quality for size, at least understand that. It's not just about brightness.

mhirano

Projector is shit unless you play in the dark which eventually destroy your sight
How so?
Projectors are healthier to the eyes cause they work reflecting light on a screen instead of emitting light directly in your retinas (like tv screens do)

CamHostage

Projectors do 120hz??

Projectors are pretty amazing these days, in terms of quality and also feature set. Like, they're still putting 3D support into projectors. You can't buy any 3D TV anymore, but you could conceivably buy a 4K 3D projector and watch Avatar in cinema quality (...except they dont sell 3D UHD blu-ray, too bad for the few 3d fans out there. ) They just kept the feature in for people who care to use it. Response rate can be pretty good on projectors too.

Finding a spot in the house where you would use a projector can be tough, but I hear few complaints from people who do.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I mistakenly left out ultra.

schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

Would it frustrate you to know that you are still not safe from being wrong?

Some ultra-short-throw projectors still project forwards. They still sit close to the wall, but I don't think you could tell the difference of a short-throw or ultra short-throw just by looking at it except for the big wide-angle lens.

...For whatever reason, it seems they didn't come up with a special name for projectors that shoot straight up. You'd think that would get a name, especially since you might actually see yourself buying a "Vertical Ultra Short-Throw (vUST) Projector" because you could imagine how it would fit in your home. Just put it near the wall and that's almost it, 110' TV, makes enough sense to want to get one...

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
$1,599,99 for the X2-4K short-throw model.

Both the X1-4K and X2-4K are rated at 33dB (normal) and 29dB (eco) so the fan noise will not be very noticable. The X1-4K can display up to 150" while the X2-4K only displays up to 120".

Edit: Will I buy one? No, because the black levels will not be on par with my LG C2 OLED.

Last edited:
Lol, almost the same? No. Your definately sacrificing picture quality for size, at least understand that. It's not just about brightness.
You sacrifice if you buy a cheap projector yes. The new laser ones from example Sony are as good as a tv, but in much bigger size. I give to you old projectors are much inferior to tv’s, the new ones not anymore.

Fredrik

copy paste from the full spec sheet:

Input Lag: 4.2ms
Resolution Support: VGA(640 x 480) to 4K(3840 x 2160)
HDTV Compatibility: 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 2160p
Horizontal Frequency: 15K-135KHz
Vertical Scan Rate: 23-240Hz

Does that last line mean it can do VRR?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You sacrifice if you buy a cheap projector yes. The new laser ones from example Sony are as good as a tv, but in much bigger size. I give to you old projectors are much inferior to tv’s, the new ones not anymore.

While they are capable of an excellent picture even on the higher end, they still can't compete with oled. There's still a sacrifice, your in serious denial if you thing higher end projectors = what an oled can do.

Three

4K projector with 240hz.. Projectors tend to be priced higher than comparable television screens. Not to mention the branding deal. I'd bet $3000 easy for this.
Why? Viewsonic (the maker of this) already do "4k240hz" projectors like this without the branding and even higher spec ANSI Lumens for under $1000

ViewSonic PX701-4K, 3,200 ANSI Lumens 4K UHD Gaming Projector with 5ms ultra-fast input and 240Hz High Refresh Rate, Warping, Auto Vertical Keystone, Horizontal and Vertical Keystone https://amzn.eu/d/966CU24

Won't that be dictated by how dark the room is?
No because the lamp will always bleed light into the blacks.

Last edited:

Three

Sony should bundle this projector with the ps5

E5k4eHW.jpg
I'd kill for that 5,000 lumens laser projector but it's so ridiculously expensive. I know it's made for Cinema venues but you can probably buy a small flat ouside the city at that price. The only laser projector I have is an ultra portable Sony MP-CD1 I had to import from Japan and it only does something like 105 lumens.

Last edited:
While they are capable of an excellent picture even on the higher end, they still can't compete with oled. There's still a sacrifice, your in serious denial if you thing higher end projectors = what an oled can do.
It can never reach black levels of oled for obvious purposes. But it does get brighter and the motion is more smooth. I wouldn’t say oled or the other is better. It’s just different. Personally I’ll sacrifice a little black level for the enormous size and better motion. I have an 77 inch lg cx in my living room and both options are nice. I prefer gaming and movies on the projector, while watching shorter content like tv series or YouTube and stuff on tv.

Saying oled is inherently better is ignorant as both options have pros and cons in respective areas. Only thing I don’t like too much about projectors is a thing in general, and that is that you have to darken your room to get the best picture.

But I can say that on my lg oled, in daytime when the sun shines, I can almost not see anything on that tv as well even with 100% brightness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom