• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Headphones ok for gaming?

Chrono

Banned
OK, can someone tell me how to get this to work with movies?

I finally got some optical cables today and decided to try the SU-DH1. I put in Master and Commander in my DVD drive and selected the SPDIF out as the default in my audio properties. The sound got to my headphones through the SU-DH1 but the Dolby Digital light was off, it was set to Pro Logic.

I wasn't able to select the 5.1 settings so I switched from media player classic to windows media player and selected the 5.1 track and it worked... sort of. I could still select pro logic and switch its modes... if the signal isn't stereo than shouldn't it be off? I also tried the DTS 5.1 on the DVD and the light was still on Dolby Digital and the DTS one was off.

Mindlog

I've only been using it with my 360's Toslink. Everything I've played through it lights up Dolby Digital. Unfortunately I didn't really pay attention to whether or not the DTS was lit up. I could tinker with it on my PC, but I have it broken down at the moment and I don't have a mini/mini optical cable. :]

I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to find a good power plug at the store tomorrow or Friday.

but yes, DD source + the little box = totally worth it :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is the SU DH1 the only item of its kind? There isn't any other device from any other company that will do the same thing?

madara

For the last like ten years I have used a DSP pro from Sennheiser. Its on its last legs but I have to say there is stuff out there that is great with gaming with phones.

Chrono

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Is the SU DH1 the only item of its kind? There isn't any other device from any other company that will do the same thing?

http://www.astrogaming.com/equipment/index/ct/3/id/5

That and the JVC are the only ones I know of. Of course you can get on of those headphones that come with a DH processor but I'm not sure if those would work with other headphones.

Maybe it's possible to use a PC sound card with Dolby Heaphone. Get a Toslink cable from the console to the optical input of the card and let it do the processing, then output the signal. However I'm not sure if the DH sound cards can down-mix a 5.1 signal from a console through their optical-in ports.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I just bought a Denon 5.1 speaker system for about $350, and the amplifier includes DH!!! That means I can just jack in a pair of headphones and get the same results as the JVC box. :D

If anyone is interested in buying my old SU-DH1 with the AC adapter, send me a PM. I'm thinking $110 plus shipping (the extra is for the AC adapter which was retardedly expensiv).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Are we ever going to get something like the SU-DH1 that will accept PCM 5.1 over HDMI?
Downconverting to 1.5Mbps DTS just to spare the neighbors late at night still bothers me.

kiun

Sho Nuff said:
I just bought a Denon 5.1 speaker system for about $350, and the amplifier includes DH!!! That means I can just jack in a pair of headphones and get the same results as the JVC box. :D

If anyone is interested in buying my old SU-DH1 with the AC adapter, send me a PM. I'm thinking $110 plus shipping (the extra is for the AC adapter which was retardedly expensiv).

PM sent

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Rentahamster said:

Look at my post on the first page. It has the Sony ones in it. Astro gamng also make a system. Creative made one too, they killed it off though and replaced it with something else. Pioneer make a very good system too.

VaLiancY

So to use these DT 770 Pro-80 (which I will be buying within a month) on a console, I need a lovely amp like the SU-DH1 and a mini-Toslink adapter? I like great audio but I don't have the room for speakers and I do play a lot of PC games and FLAC coded music, so I see this as a win-win situation.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Japanese version was cheaper than the US one. Plus it comes bundled with AC.

060601_01.jpg

I want to order the Astro Gaming system too. I need something to use on XBL.

Chrono

Banned
Router said:
Japanese version was cheaper than the US one. Plus it comes bundled with AC.

Where did you buy the Japanese one from? Where I saw it you had to buy the AC adapter separately. It was on some yahoo store I found through Google.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Chrono said:
Where did you buy the Japanese one from? Where I saw it you had to buy the AC adapter separately. It was on some yahoo store I found through Google.

My friend got it locally then sent it over to me. Not sure of the store he bought it from.

BirdFlu

Banned
Yeah the Japanese version of SU-DH1 that you buy off audiocubes (the place I got my unit from) does not come with the adapter. The only place I've found that you could order the adapter online for U.S. customers was this place:

http://store.aikotradingstore.com/jvcsuacpoad.html

It's ridiculously expensive, so I just opted to buy a set of Eneloop rechargeable NiMH batteries. Eneloop was highly recommended by headfi

Chrono

Banned
^How long do those batteries last?

Anyway I've been looking at the manual trying to figure this out and can barely find any info on DD 5.1 sources. They mention it of course but it's like they made this for Dolby Pro Logic II. What's the point of having DPLII anyway? From what I understand it takes a stereo signal and expands it to 5.1, then Dolby Headphone would down-mix that back to stereo.

The advantage of DH from what I've read is that it doesn't use a stereo source but instead down-mixes a 5.1 signal. Of courses a DPLII signal in this case would be 5.1 but that's like fake 5.1... >_>;

The manual says that DPLII doesn't work on a multi-channel source which means when I was able to change DPLII setting while the DD light was on.... that it really wasn't DD? This is annoying.

Mindlog

BirdFlu said:
Yeah the Japanese version of SU-DH1 that you buy off audiocubes (the place I got my unit from) does not come with the adapter. The only place I've found that you could order the adapter online for U.S. customers was this place:

It's ridiculously expensive, so I just opted to buy a set of Eneloop rechargeable NiMH batteries. Eneloop was highly recommended by headfi

When I finally finish 'fixing' mine I'll figure out what adapter I need. A cheap universal will probably do, just need to check polarity etc.

___

Hitting the DH button doesn't take you through the DH settings? When DD lights up I just hit the DH button to take me to the setting I want. I'm going to grab some optic cabling for my PC to check it out when I can. My computer is old, but Soundstorm rocks :( Damned NVidia for... I don't even really know what they put on their boards now.

___

Gotta sleep

__

Right after I check out Head-Fi thoughts on Beats :D

lorddct

Club Sega in Japan Odaiba had some crazy ass 5.1 Surround sound headphones, but I didn't get to see what brand it was. Though I also thinkg 5.1 Surround sound headphones are best enjoyed when you really have a 5.1 surround source.

Chrono

Banned
Question for those with the JVC SU-DH1:

When you're using a DD or DTS source, does pressing the DPLII button do anything? Does it stay completely off or does pressing it change the DPLII mode?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
li0uXHkEgkHJo.jpg

The AKG K240 S. Made in Austria.

I use that badass for my headphone needs aside from portable use. You can find it for around $100 and the sound is outstanding. Its durable as shit, extremely comfortable, and has great sound.

Plus they pop up in a lot of videos of musicians in the studio, which is awesome. They're in Spinal Tap and a lot of other movies/documentaries.

edit: You don't need 5.1 for your headphones to enjoy your game. Get a good $400 reciever and you'll have good enough surround emulation for it to be convincing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Mindlog

Sho Nuff said:

If you could look at the back of the adapter and note the polarity it could help out people looking for cheap adapters :D

traveler

Not Wario
Funny this thread just got bumped; I was just looking for some nice gaming headphones. Looking at the Sennheiser HD 555s right now. What is the deal with this SU-DH1 thing?

BirdFlu

Banned
Chrono said:
Question for those with the JVC SU-DH1:

When you're using a DD or DTS source, does pressing the DPLII button do anything? Does it stay completely off or does pressing it change the DPLII mode?

Doesn't do anything when you push it while using a DD/DTS source. It also stays completely off.

Sho Nuff said:
Try this. This has turned skeptics into rabid believers. At TGS, Kojima Productions was demoing MGS4 with one of these boxes attached to each PS3.
because I couldn't order from amazon (it would have been $80) this is the next best deal I could find on that thing: JVC SU-DH1 for $91.99 w/ free shipping. question: If I get that, will I be able to use a headset as well (in other words does it have a hole for a mic input)?

Sullichin

I have the Tritton AX360's, and they're pretty good. The sound quality is very good but channel separation is not as clear as a real 5.1 system. My only complaints are that there's too many wires, it's a bit uncomfortable to wear, and there's no master inline volume control.

so after reading this thread again, what exactly will happen if I purchase that JVC thing and plug a digital cable into it? will it accept the DD/DTS from PS3 games? Also, I have some Sennheiser's that have done me well for a few years now and I don't want to upgrade them quite yet.

Nooreo

I dont know how they will work with the PS3 i mean where would you connect the wire from the 5.1 surround sound to the ps3? and i thought only hdmi could output 5.1 amirite?

adg1034

So, Sho Nuff hasn't PMed me back regarding my inquiry on his SU-DH1, and now, I'm turning to you all. Does anyone have this wondrous Dolby Headphone adapter that would be willing to part with it? Extra points if you have the AC adapter, too.

I've been sold on this device for a while now, and passed up a chance to get it while I was in Japan because I thought Sho Nuff was actually going to sell his. Don't make me look like a fool, GAF!

adg1034

adg1034 said:
So, Sho Nuff hasn't PMed me back regarding my inquiry on his SU-DH1, and now, I'm turning to you all. Does anyone have this wondrous Dolby Headphone adapter that would be willing to part with it? Extra points if you have the AC adapter, too.

I've been sold on this device for a while now, and passed up a chance to get it while I was in Japan because I thought Sho Nuff was actually going to sell his. Don't make me look like a fool, GAF!

Anyone?

Sho Nuff

Banned
adg1034 said:

Sorry, I'm back

It was sold within 30 seconds of my initial post :(

adg1034

Sho Nuff said:
Sorry, I'm back

It was sold within 30 seconds of my initial post :(

Eh, too bad. I wish you had gotten back to me sooner, though, as I could have gone to Akiba myself and bought it there, but didn't. Still, I'm sure I'll find one sooner or later.

BirdFlu

Banned
bune duggy said:
that ebay link I posted earlier has 20 left. - http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JVC-SU-DH1-...ryZ80183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so does it take a toslink cable w/ dd and dts coming through it?

Yeah it takes optical in through a mini-toslink jack and processes the 5.1 DD/DTS stream using Dolby Headphone technology. I hooked mine up to a 360 using this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

There's adapters for mini-toslink if you don't have a cable too but I just went ahead and ordered the cable since it was so cheap anyways

EDIT: I see a lot of you guys are looking to buy one. Just get the SU-DH1 from here:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...ct/JVC_SU-DH1_Surround_Headphone_Adapter.html

Audiocubes is a very reliable company and the unit they sell is also the Japanese version with the AC adapter port (removed from the U.S. version for some stupid reason). It's also not overpriced and only 10 bucks more than that ebay auction.

If you want the AC adapter (very expensive), get it from here:

This is the only place I could find that shipped to the U.S. Can't vouch for the company though since I opted for the rechargeable battery route. Btw, if you do decide to get rechargeable batteries instead, I highly recommend Sanyo Eneloops. You can find them at Circuit City or online. Read some reviews too; they're overwhelmingly positive.

Quick question: does the SU-DH1 only work with special headphones? I realize you would want pretty good ones to make it worthwhile.

Top Bottom