• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Headphones ok for gaming?

DSC00820.JPG

DSC00821.JPG

DSC00823.JPG

DSC00822.JPG

I'm the OP, shit just got real. :D

Davidion

BirdFlu said:
Holy shit, just got the Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro 80s. Talk about being freaking blown away. MUCH better than the Bose Triports I had before and now I'm all set for ALAN WAKE

Ahhh, another who has seen the light.

TheExodu5

Banned
L0st Id3ntity said:
DT770 Pro Pics

I'm the OP, shit just got real. :D

How are you liking the DT770 Pros? I just ordered a pair of eBay for $140...this must be fate! :D

My main concern is whether or not the bass is too overpowering. I love good bass, but too much boomy bass is not a good thing. Although, since these seem to be quite respected in the head-fi world, I guess they must be half decent.

Davidion

bune duggy said:
if you have one of these, go get the new NIN album - It makes it sound truly sexcellent.

Actually, go listen to your entire music collection again if you're just getting into headphone audiophilia. You can thank me later.

Indeed. I listened to the free tracks three times last night while waiting for the store to work and then I moved on to the NIN show at the Bridge School (oh wow) and then I started to listen to some other stuff and was just blown away but how much fuller it makes the sound. I can't wait until I get to listen to The Fragile with this.

waxer

So I got the jvc ordered and on the way. Im thinking of getting the sennheiser 595s. A little more than I wanted to pay but in New Zealand once you factor in shipping some good cans from overseas they are my best option at $300nz , $240US. I have a clark synthesis tactile transducer in my gaming chair so Im going to try and figure out a way of adding that into the mix. Should give the tactile feeling you miss from not having big speakers if I set it up right.

allreal

great thread. ordered a 595 and the Japanese JVC. was wondering if anyone found a cheaper ac adaptor besides the ones from New Zealand? from earlier post.

has anyone got the Belkin to work? or an alternative cheap adaptor? links appreciated.
thank you, n thnx to all the input on the headphones..really great thread with lotta help.

gallyer

allreal said:
great thread. ordered a 595 and the Japanese JVC. was wondering if anyone found a cheaper ac adaptor besides the ones from New Zealand? from earlier post.

has anyone got the Belkin to work? or an alternative cheap adaptor? links appreciated.
thank you, n thnx to all the input on the headphones..really great thread with lotta help.

As someone mentioned in the beginning of the thread, just go to your local chinatown or place that sell cheap chinese electronics. You can find those multi-voltage, multi-plug power adapters very cheap, about USD3-5 is what i paid in Bangkok. I suggest taking your unit with you to test the plug size as it's very small. My one fits snugly but when i rotate the plug it goes on and off. Also it emits a buzzing sound but you can't hear it when you have the headphones on :lol I've used it for about 2 months, no problems.

Damn, how come I didn't see this thread previously?!??!! Would've helped a lot to know about some of the stuff in here!

Anyways, myself, I am now entering the surround sound headphone space with Sony's MDR DS7000 7.1 ch wireless headset...and will be happy ONCE I HAVE OPENED THE FRIGGIN BOX!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Is there anywhere I could go to try out high-end headphones before I drop my hard earned money on them? I'm still somewhat skeptical, but my new apartment has paper thin walls so I may have to invest in some decent cans soon.

Davidion

SapientWolf said:
Is there anywhere I could go to try out high-end headphones before I drop my hard earned money on them? I'm still somewhat skeptical, but my new apartment has paper thin walls so I may have to invest in some decent cans soon.

Where do you live? Though as a fair warning, the answer is more likely than not no.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
SapientWolf said:

Depends where you live. Most AV specialty stores will have demo stations set up. If not, then you can always ask if they can demo a few pairs on there equipment for you.

StuBurns

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Any decent Hi-Fi shop will always allow you to try stuff before you buy it.

Go to the best known dedicated hi-fi retailer near you and they will let you try stuff, they usually encourage bringing in music you know so it's easier to tell the difference.

I guess for surround sound they don't bother.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Davidion said:
Where do you live? Though as a fair warning, the answer is more likely than not no.
I live in AZ. I've seen listening stations at Best Buy before, but I think I'm looking for something a little better than what you might find at your average big box electronics store.

Davidion

SapientWolf said:
I live in AZ. I've seen listening stations at Best Buy before, but I think I'm looking for something a little better than what you might find at your average big box electronics store.

Yeah, you really have to stick with specialty hi-fi/audio shops.

You live near Tempe?

www.tubeaudio.com

Reikon

This thread makes me want to buy new headphones, but I really shouldn't spend anymore money on them. I already have several pairs of decent ones.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm still a bit lost on what I need to buy outside the SU-DH1 and the Senn 555s that I decided on. What do I need power supply and cord-wise? (I'll be looking to use these on my PC, 360, and PS3, if that makes any difference)

Edit: You guys know of any Hi-Fi places in Georgia?

Fusebox

Banned
L0st Id3ntity said:
I've just tried it with Silent Hill Origins on PSP, the difference is mind blowing with Dolby Headphone, unbelievable.

Silent Hill supports surround sound? Or your cans are just mashing the stereo into a matrixed surround estimate?

neight

Banned
Fusebox said:
Silent Hill supports surround sound? Or your cans are just mashing the stereo into a matrixed surround estimate?
Stereo still benefits from Dolby Headphone by having the sound field expanded. This gives the audio an out of head feel rather than an in your head feel like you'd normally get with headphones. It's subjective on which one sounds better of course but I prefer the out of head feel.
Caesar III said:
http://www.mueller2000.ch/holophonics/holo.html
just click the MP3 examples and use regular headphones! especially the virtual haircut!

it depends on the software and your soundcard. The X-Fi cards make surround sound like these mp3s
No. Those holophonic examples were recorded using an expensive microphone arrangement. Surround sound virtualization tries its best to give a surround sound experience but it can't match the quality of holophonics recorded with specially arranged microphones(dummy head recording which gives near perfect HRTF results).

senahorse

neight said:
Stereo still benefits from Dolby Headphone by having the sound field expanded. This gives the audio an out of head feel rather than an in your head feel like you'd normally get with headphones. It's subjective on which one sounds better of course but I prefer the out of head feel.

Yup and if you have an open set of cans it accentuates this even more.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
will this jvc SU DH1 still sound good with the Sennheiser wireless RS 140?

I sit about 2+ metres away from my PS3 and wireless sounds like a decent option, I'm willing to take a hit in sound quality as it will still probably be good enough for me. Closed is also a bonus. They're about the same price as Sennheiser 595 so its the current favourite vs wireless and closed. Though I suppose having the JVC unit sat next to a wireless receiver both with their own power supplies will be annoying.

Decisions decisions....

Any advice?

My initial impression of the MDR DS7000 is...>FRIGGING AMAZING!!!! I can't believe I lived life and played games WITHOUT surround sound before these!!!

As for the previous posters question...in my opinion, if you are sitting that close to your console, then the JVC / Sennheiser wired option sound ok, if you don't mind the wires trailing all around and in front of you while playing...

:D

StuBurns

Banned
holdincourt said:
My initial impression of the MDR DS7000 is...>FRIGGING AMAZING!!!! I can't believe I lived life and played games WITHOUT surround sound before these!!!
You haven't missed much, this is the first generation of video games with really good sound.
Check out BioShock, it's worth playing for the audio design alone.

AmMortal

Banned
stuburns said:
What do you mean PS3 headphones? There aren't any official PS3 headphones.
But virtually all are compatible.

hm.. I meant easy to hook up, headphones. By just using an Optical cable ro something. I bought a 5.1 system and it was really hard to hook up, because they didn't include the videogame adapter :p

Now I just want headphones with an optical connection.

Any great ones?

StuBurns

Banned
Warrior300 said:
hm.. I meant easy to hook up, headphones. By just using an Optical cable ro something. I bought a 5.1 system and it was really hard to hook up, because they didn't include the videogame adapter :p

Now I just want headphones with an optical connection.

Any great ones?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...?searchstring=Sony+MDR-DS3000K&searchsource=0

Sony MDR-DS3000K

This is what I use, they're surround sound and wireless, fairly good sound, there can be some slight noise but it's very little, and impossible to avoid using wireless. And they're easy to hook up, optical out of the PS3 straight into the decoder.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just discovered that my reciever (denon 2307) has a 'virtual' mode which simulates surround over headphones. Haven't used it that much to see how good it is, but it seems pretty nice so far.

yay for being able to play games with the sound turned up when the kids have gone to bed!

Although I'll have to get some kind of flashing red light rigged up near the TV in case my wife needs me, as I'll be off in gameland :D

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I ordered a JVC SU DH1 unit from bluetin japan, has anyone used them before? They just sent me an email with a paypal email address and I sent them the money via paypal. But have not had any confirmation from them - how is this supposed to work? They have a good rep apparently so I trust this is normal for them.

I now need to choose some headphons to go with it. I sit about 2-3 metres away from my PS3, can anyone give any advice?

Should I just buy a pair of Sennheiser 555/595 and an extension cord? Do I need to consider quality etc when buying this or do they normally come with cables of some kind?

Or should I go wireless?

holdincourt said:

As for the previous posters question...in my opinion, if you are sitting that close to your console, then the JVC / Sennheiser wired option sound ok, if you don't mind the wires trailing all around and in front of you while playing...

:D

sounds very tempting....argh!
just 2 small questions: any background noise or hiss? and is it possible to connect another pair of non-sony headphones to the decoder?

Does anyone know where I can get one of those JVC or similar devices in the UK?

I've tried searching on google and places like pricerunner but can't seem to find one anywhere.

I know the Sony one is available, but i'd rather use my own headphones if possible.

senahorse

kaizoku said:
I ordered a JVC SU DH1 unit from bluetin japan, has anyone used them before? They just sent me an email with a paypal email address and I sent them the money via paypal. But have not had any confirmation from them - how is this supposed to work? They have a good rep apparently so I trust this is normal for them.

I now need to choose some headphons to go with it. I sit about 2-3 metres away from my PS3, can anyone give any advice?

Should I just buy a pair of Sennheiser 555/595 and an extension cord? Do I need to consider quality etc when buying this or do they normally come with cables of some kind?

Or should I go wireless?

I use a pair of these with JVC/Victor SU-DH1 and the result is outstanding. It has a 3M ext cord so you might be right, if not make sure you get a good quality extension like a Grado. IMO don't go with wireless unless you have to, you will get much better sound out of a wired set of cans nearly every time.

Top Bottom