• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 new Kadokawa games to be announced in November, one by From included

Shengar

I recall them saying that as a 'game', KanColle actually isn't profitable at all. But the franchise, however, is strong, and generates a lot of side-revenue from licensing and all that.

And the reality is that something like KanColle could easily topple down from its current popularity very easily. It's extremely popular for what it is, but it's also a non-casual niche. Something like KanColle will never come close to the mainstream popularity enjoyed by YW or even Layton.

If anything, Kadokawa needs to put a lot of investment into KanColle asap to make it a sustainable, long-term franchise.

lol I thought Kancolle gave them tons of money (big-picture wise, which includes licensing like you said), but I guess I was wrong. Kadokawa seems to know that themselves. If I'm not wrong, they released another line of moe collection which without doubt would failed. Their purchase of Fromsoft is an investment of that short money to have more reliable IP and source of income.

lol I thought Kancolle gave them tons of money (big-picture wise, which includes licensing like you said), but I guess I was wrong. Kadokawa seems to know that themselves. If I'm not wrong, they released another line of moe collection which without doubt would failed. Their purchase of Fromsoft is an investment of that short money to have more reliable IP and source of income.

Part of me is still somewhat concerned about that purchase ( Kadokawa published games tend to feel very low budget, does this imply a stingy publisher? ), but if they're willing to maintain the same amount of investment that FROM currently gets for its games, then I think that's a great move by Kadokawa.

I can respect a company that chooses to use their... "browser" ( not even mobile lol) money to invest in console gaming development, instead of throwing more money at mobile.

KDR_11k

I think it'd be about the right time to announce the next AC game, Verdict Day is quite old by now. Question would be if the new one would be AC 6 or 5.2, i.e. a complete re-do of how ACs work or just more gear for AC5.

As for the money question, the AC games seem rather cheap to make with heavily reused maps and very few non-gameplay assets (they don't even bother showing any humans in the game). I mean, over half the missions in AC5 and VD are just duels, they need to set up a build and AI profile (no doubt their AI profiles look pretty much like the UNAC patterns) plus a custom icon and 2-3 lines of VA. The rest are just copy-pasted mook enemies.

Shengar

Part of me is still somewhat concerned about that purchase ( Kadokawa published games tend to feel very low budget, does this imply a stingy publisher? ), but if they're willing to maintain the same amount of investment that FROM currently gets for its games, then I think that's a great move by Kadokawa.

I can respect a company that chooses to use their... "browser" ( not even mobile lol) money to invest in console gaming development, instead of throwing more money at mobile.

FROM already accustomed to low budget game development lol

Gungho does the same too despite their game is what makes them king in Japan's mobile market. While their significant success in traditional gaming market still tied in with PazuDora name, it still a sign that they want to become major player there. It's almost a year since they release PDZ, I hope Gungho use that money in traditional game market instead of creating competitor for their own game.

Paracelsus

I hope it's Full Metal Panic not-armored-core-edition, set in Hong Kong, where the weakest enemies are Venom units.

Gungho does the same too despite their game is what makes them king in Japan's mobile market. While their significant success in traditional gaming market still tied in with PazuDora name, it still a sign that they want to become major player there. It's almost a year since they release PDZ, I hope Gungho use that money in traditional game market instead of creating competitor for their own game.

Was pretty excited at Gungho's attempts in dedicated gaming at first, but now I'm slightly more ambivalent lol.

Acquire, Grasshopper and Game Arts are capable of so much more than what they're currently doing. =(

Going to be close to two years now since Ragnarok Oddysey... C'mon, Game Arts! I still believe in you, as one of the creators of the best JRPG combat system ever!

cj_iwakura

The Silver Case 3DS.

pretop.gif

It's time.

Shengar

Was pretty excited at Gungho's attempts in dedicated gaming at first, but now I'm slightly more ambivalent lol.

Acquire, Grasshopper and Game Arts are capable of so much more than what they're currently doing. =(

Going to be close to two years now since Ragnarok Oddysey... C'mon, Game Arts! I still believe in you, as one of the creators of the best JRPG combat system ever!
They still swimming in money so I hope they ramped up their effort in traditional gaming. I don't know how long will it last, but PD can't be profitable for ever.
Not sure where you guys are getting your information, but according to the Intellectual Property Office, Bandai Namco own the trademark.
UK and USA yes, Japan no. Since FROM is from Japan and the game developed there, only those IP patent that matter here.

VertPin

No way this is Dark Souls 3. That would be way too early, and it would be ridiculous for that to be announced before Bloodborne comes out. Besides, it seems Sony and FromSoftware are buddy buddy again and Miyazaki want's to continue working with Sony.

At most, this is probably a Dark Souls II re-release for PS4/Xbone. Or maybe a package with Dark Souls:ptD included?

Maybe it's a Demon's Souls PS4 re-release? ;)

Or it's just Armored Core.

TBH with Miyazaki in charge at FromSoft now and Sony really wanting Bloodborne to become it's own series...I definitely see Dark Souls on stop. Sounds silly, but I don't think Miyazaki would want the fans to get burnt out.

Dascu

TBH with Miyazaki in charge at FromSoft now and Sony really wanting Bloodborne to become it's own series...I definitely see Dark Souls on stop. Sounds silly, but I don't think Miyazaki would want the fans to get burnt out.
Sure, but there's no way Kadokawa bought them to not make Souls games. There's gonna be a third entry sooner or later.

VertPin

Sure, but there's no way Kadokawa bought them to not make Souls games. There's gonna be a third entry sooner or later.

This is also very possible. Although, this is where I want to see Sony get some action out of this.

I want to see the Bloodborne IP strive. It looks like everything that made Dark Souls + Demon's Souls awesome, but with an even cooler setting and faster paced combat mechanics. To me, it reminds me of an upgrade similar to Mega Man to Mega Man X. Silly, but that's what it reminds me of.

I sure hope to see Bloodborne become dominant in Sony's catalog of IP's. I really hope it's just not a one time thing like Demon's Souls was, which I doubt, because Sony sure seemed butthurt over the success of Demon's/Dark when From also decided to get published on Xbox.

rrvv

we havent heard Kancolle Vita news for long time. so I guess it maybe time.

From probably AC

I'm expecting a Dark Souls 2 PS4/Xbone edition at some point

Dark Souls 2 Complete Edition coming to all systems including PS4/Xbox One

Please

These would be my guess.

Souls collection for current gen?

This would be my hopes and dreams come true :')

Demon's Souls included with the PS4 version.

Either way, a Dark Souls II goty edition HD remaster or an entire current gen Souls HD collection would be stupidly easy money for From, I would think.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be How Can My Dark Maiden Be So Cute? Gritty hardcore breeding game (i.e. Princess Maker types) where every turn means death :p

Fortunately Long Live The Queen is already the Dark Souls of breeding games

I recall them saying that as a 'game', KanColle actually isn't profitable at all. But the franchise, however, is strong, and generates a lot of side-revenue from licensing and all that.

And the reality is that something like KanColle could easily topple down from its current popularity very easily. It's extremely popular for what it is, but it's also a non-casual niche. Something like KanColle will never come close to the mainstream popularity enjoyed by YW or even Layton.

If anything, Kadokawa needs to put a lot of investment into KanColle asap to make it a sustainable, long-term franchise.

How is a title with a >2.5 million playerbase a "non-casual niche" title?

The other stuff also sounds like industryexpert.jpg.

That's maybe only for the west? I'm pretty sure Dark Souls belongs to From Software (and now to Kadokawa.) Actually i assume that the Dark Souls IP was one of the reasons Kadokawa bought FS.

UK and USA yes, Japan no. Since FROM is from Japan and the game developed there, only those IP patent that matter here.

I don't claim to know how trademarks or IP ownership works, but for instance at the bottom of the DSII website it says "DARK SOULS™II & ©2014 NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. ©2011-2014 FromSoftware, Inc." I've never heard of a situation where an IP belongs to one company in one region and a different company in another region. What's more, if Dark Souls is entirely their property, where's the logic in contracting out their premier team to develop a game for Sony instead of directing that effort inwards and getting the ball rolling on DSIII?!

Dascu

I don't claim to know how trademarks or IP ownership works, but for instance at the bottom of the DSII website it says "DARK SOULS™II & ©2014 NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. ©2011-2014 FromSoftware, Inc." I've never heard of a situation where an IP belongs to one company in one region and a different company in another region. What's more, if Dark Souls is entirely their property, where's the logic in contracting out their premier team to develop a game for Sony instead of directing that effort inwards and getting the ball rolling on DSIII?!

Owning (/having registered) the trademark is not the same as owning the IP. I can own the IP to something and have publishing deals with several companies, one for each region even, who then register and own the respective trademarks.

Edit: Actually, I should clarify. The "IP" of a game can consist of several things. The major things are the copyright on the content and the trademark/brand of the name. So From (potentially, depending on contracts with Namco) own the rights to the code, characters, story, assets and music of their games. So no one else can make a game featuring Solaire and Gwyn. But Namco owning the trademark (in the USA and Europe and Korea), means that From cannot release a Dark Souls 3 in those regions without Namco's approval. They can in principle release such a game with that name in Japan (or any other region where they have the trademark), unless there's still some other underlying contractual arrangements.

I don't know how the contracts work now with Kadokawa involved. Though I'd be a bit surprised if Kadokawa bought From without some guarantee that they can use the Dark Souls brand, or having a publishing arrangement already with Namco for future games under that name in regions outside of Japan.

Definitely hoping for Rodea. That game looked really good in early footage.

I doubt we're going to see anything Souls related unless it's an upscaled PS4/Xbone DS/DS II type thing. Bloodborne went into development in 2012 when the PC version of DS came out and didn't get announced until two full years later. I have a feeling that Namco and Sony have a goodwill/non disclosure agreement in place so that their sales aren't being undercut. Bloodborne could've easily been announced last year, but with DSII coming out, Namco/From/Kadokawa probably asked Sony to keep a lid on it until after the game came out.

I hope they get Prope to do a Wii U port themselves. It's their creation and it wouldn't feel right if only the 3DS version came out which wasn't by them.

Also obviously they should use the Wii version as the base and not the 3DS version, which naturally would look worse.

Orayn

I'm thinking Armored Core 6, some kind of side project, or maybe a licensed thing. They'd probably save a Dark Souls III announcement for a big event.

Top Bottom