• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they must've really been hoping for some of that Hunger Games money, because I'd be hard pressed to say which was worse between the movie and the book.

Yes. Ditto on the book, which I read recently out of curiosity. It's not completely terrible, but it's transparently an attempt to write Hunger Games crossed with Harry Potter.

If you guys thought the first book was bad, oh boy...

kswiston

I have been updating my master list, but I haven't posted an update in this thread in awhile.

Since my last update, I finished The Name of the Wind, 2001 a Space Odyssey, and the Pluto Files (by Neil Degrasse Tyson).

The Name of the Wind started pretty slowly, but it was an enjoyable read. I'm not sure that I would count it as one of the best fantasy novels of all time like some people, but I am on board for the rest of the trilogy.

I have never scene 2001: A Space Odyssey, so I entered the Arthur C. Clarke with as naive a perspective as one can have having absorbed pop culture for over 30 years. I was surprised that the Hal 9000 plotline didn't even start until halfway through the novel, and that so much attention was payed to the man apes and the Monolith at the beginning. It was a great book though, and should be read by all sci fi buffs.

The Pluto Files is an account of Pluto's position in pop culture both before and after it was demoted to dwarf planet status. If you have an interest in Astronomy and the role of politics in science, this is a short, entertaining read.

On the movie side of things, I watched The Heat, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Catching Fire. The Heat was pretty bad, Guardians was pretty good, and Catching Fire was much better than the first film (which I disliked).

I read synopses of the next two books on wikipedia, which confirmed my guess that it would end in a pile of stupidity a la the Maze Runner books.

I read the second. I stopped there. I can only take a certain amount of abuse!

The best part is the third book has a complete shift in POV narrative. It's shocking and seems like an attempt to cash in on the Game of Thrones style of shifting perspectives. Only both narrators have exactly the same equally stupid voice. I can't...

Guamu

Tragicomedy - 42/50 Books | 47/50 Movies

Book: Terry Pratchett - Guards! Guards! (1989) - ★★★★★ - Pretty much a perfect book in every which way. Humorous, charming, and self-aware. I've read nine Discworld books so far and this is by far the best..

This was my first discworld book. I aproached it skeptically because of the awful backcover description touting it as "the most hilarious science fiction saga of the universe" and only bought it because it was the equivalent of $1.20 on a "botadero" (heavily discounted stuff that nobody wants) box of books at a local supermarket. That was 15 years ago.

This book was awesome and prompted me to go to that botadero box every time it reappeared and fish for more terry pratchet. I got about 4 discworld books that way (and some other awful books).

Now it's way easier to find a Pratchett book locally, but now it's 20 times more expensive :(

Have you read Men at arms? Soul Music? Moving Pictures? Small Gods? They're all great.

Glaurungr

Glaurungr - 107/50 Books | 128/50 Movies

New update!

Books:

• Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None (1939)
  • David Day - The World of Tolkien: Mythological Sources of The Lord of the Rings (2003)
  • Edgar Allan Poe - The Murders in the Rue Morgue and Other Tales (1841)
  • Eric Van Lustbader - The Bourne Legacy (2003)
  • Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Spilleren (The Gambler) (1866)
  • H.W. Brands - The Man Who Saved the Union: Ulysses Grant in War and Peace (2012)
  • James M. McPherson - Tried by War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief (2008)
  • John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men (1937)
  • J.R.R. Tolkien and Christopher Tolkien (ed.) - The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (1980)
  • J.R.R. Tolkien and Christopher Tolkien (ed.) - The Treason of Isengard: The History of Middle-earth - Volume VII (1988)
  • Karl Jacob Skarstein - Til våpen for det nye land: Norske innvandrere i den amerikanske borgerkrig (To Arms for the New Land: Norwegian Immigrants in the American Civil War) (2001)
  • Michael Jecks - The Last Templar (1995)
  • P.L. Travers - Mary Poppins (1934)
  • Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 (1953)
  • Tom Clancy - Rainbow Six (1998)
  • Ursula K. Le Guin - A Wizard of Earthsea (1968)

• Robert Jordan - The Great Hunt (1990)

Films:

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Anthony Russo and Joe Russo (2014)
  • Captain Phillips - Paul Greengrass (2013)
  • Casablanca - Michael Curtiz (1942)
  • Chicken Little - Mark Dindal (2005)
  • Divergent - Neil Burger (2014)
  • Godzilla - Gareth Edwards (2014)
  • Her - Spike Jonze (2013)
  • Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - George Miller and George Ogilvie (1985)
  • Mars Needs Moms - Simon Wells (2011)
  • Meet the Robinsons - Stephen Anderson (2007)
  • Mission: Impossible - Brian De Palma (1996)
  • Mission: Impossible II - John Woo (2000)
  • Saving Mr. Banks - John Lee Hancock (2013)
  • Snowpiercer - Joon-ho Bong (2013)
  • Superman - Richard Donner (1978)
  • Superman II - Richard Lester (1980)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Marc Webb (2014)
  • The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Terry Gilliam (2009)
  • The Rescuers - John Lounsbery and Wolfgang Reitherman (1977)
  • Video Games: The Movie - Jeremy Snead (2014)

Mumei

Update:

Mumei - 93/50 Books | 36/50 Movies

• Manga: Masters of the Art, by Timothy Lehmann (251)
  • The Curse of Chalion, by Lois McMaster Bujold (442)
  • The Fires of Heaven, by Robert Jordan (832)

• Children of the Sea, by Daisuke Igarashi (Vol. 1 - 5)
  • Claymore, by Yagi Norihiro (Vol. 1 - 26) [reread]
  • Please Save My Earth, by Saki Hiwatari Vol. 1 - 3) [first time for official English release :3]
  • Rurouni Kenshin VIZBIG Edition, by Nobuhiro Watsuki (Vol. 1 - 8) [first time for official English release :3]

• Guardians of the Galaxy

• Orphan Black (Season 1)
  • Orphan Black (Season 2)
  • Attack on Titan
  • Fate/Zero (Season 1)
  • Fate/Zero (Season 2)

I thought I was making good progress at the start of the month, but then ... stuff happened. Bleh.

“We know that in September, we will wander through the warm winds of summer's wreckage. We will welcome summer's ghost.” - Henry Rollins

Current pace needed for completion (as of 1 September:
  • 33/50 books | 33/50 movies

GAF totals:
  • 2,661 Books
  • 5,546 Movies

Monthly Progress:
rSh0tPH.png

Members who have completed the challenge:
  1. Glaurungr - 107/50 books | 128/50 movies (completed 27 March)
  2. TestMonkey - 56/50 books | 56/50 movies (completed 8 August)
  3. lastflowers - 58/50 books | 55/50 movies (completed 9 August)
  4. EverythingShiny - 52/50 books | 52/50 movies (completed 18 August)
  5. kinoki - 50/50 books | 85/50 movies (completed 24 August)

Members currently on pace to complete the challenge:

Top 20 book worms:
  1. Glaurungr - 107
  2. Mumei - 93
  3. Lumiere - 80
  4. Cyan - 62
  5. lastflowers - 58
  6. TestMonkey - 56
  7. EverythingShiny - 52
  8. kinoki - 50
  9. Reyne - 50
  10. TheWarrior - 46
  11. Tragicomedy - 42
  12. rooster93 - 41
  13. Ephidel - 40
  14. Empty - 40
  15. Pau - 39
  16. bggrthnjsus - 37
  17. Jintor - 37
  18. Saphirax - 37
  19. DieUnbekannte - 36
  20. kswiston - 36

Top 20 film buffs:
  1. Henry Swanson - 213
  2. Narag - 202
  3. Glaurungr - 128
  4. Ephidel - 122
  5. Saya - 115
  6. jarofbees - 110
  7. ridley182 - 97
  8. siyrobbo - 92
  9. Kinoki - 85
  10. SaltyDoughtnut - 82
  11. Verdre - 80
  12. BrokenEchelon - 79
  13. roosters93 - 70
  14. zoozilla - 65
  15. markhimself - 61
  16. avengers23 - 58
  17. FUBAR McDangles - 57
  18. white dynamite - 57
  19. number11 - 56
  20. TestMonkey - 56

Most balanced with the force:

Least balanced with the force:

Master tracker is updated in the OP.

Man, I was so excited about this at the beginning of the year. Now I'll be lucky if I hit 25 books! But I won't let that deter me. Even 25 is good enough for me!

Man, I was so excited about this at the beginning of the year. Now I'll be lucky if I hit 25 books! But I won't let that deter me. Even 25 is good enough for me!

Great attitude! Remember, finishing the challenge is impressive, but the ultimate goal is to read and watch more than in years past.

_Ryo_

Due to some personal details I haven't read as much as I would have liked this year, but I think I'll update soon.

BTW, what's the rules have to say about TV scripts? Does reading scripts for 1 season equal to 1? Or would it be that there's 1 book for every 4 scripts?

Have been really into reading scripts this year and Byran Fuller has been a big help since he has legally published his scripts for Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, and Hannibal online for download. xD.

Mumei

Noooooo! I didn't watch enough movies. Noooooo!

Also, Mumei, is Claymore finally finished as a series? How is it overall?

Hm. It actually flows decently in terms of pacing when you just read it chunks like I did, and it's actually possible to differentiate the characters and tell them apart. On the other hand, the writing is just as thin as you remembered. Frankly, the only reason I started rereading was because I heard exciting spoilers about the bestest character in the series. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

It's supposed to finish in the next month from what I spied in MangaGAF earlier today, which basically means wrapping up in the next two chapters.

choodi

Banned
Due to some personal details I haven't read as much as I would have liked this year, but I think I'll update soon.

BTW, what's the rules have to say about TV scripts? Does reading scripts for 1 season equal to 1? Or would it be that there's 1 book for every 4 scripts?

Have been really into reading scripts this year and Byran Fuller has been a big help since he has legally published his scripts for Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, and Hannibal online for download. xD.

My understanding is that it is a personal challenge with no set rules. Count whatever you are comfortable with counting.

Last year I was counting The Walking Dead collections as one book. I justified that by only counting 500+ page books as one book also.

Necrovex

Hm. It actually flows decently in terms of pacing when you just read it chunks like I did, and it's actually possible to differentiate the characters and tell them apart. On the other hand, the writing is just as thin as you remembered. Frankly, the only reason I started rereading was because I heard exciting spoilers about the bestest character in the series. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

It's supposed to finish in the next month from what I spied in MangaGAF earlier today, which basically means wrapping up in the next two chapters.

Hot damn! Guess I'll be reading Claymore after I complete Eyeshield 21. I actually enjoyed the TV series, up to the final filler arc occurred.

kswiston

I had a major slowdown through most of August, but recovered some in the last week.

I am currently reading Jhereg, which is pretty good so far (I'm about 1/3 of the way through). I'm surprised I have never heard anyone mention this series in the past.

Update:

Forsaken82 – 6/50 Books | 64/50 Movies

Movies:

53. Getaway
54. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
55. The Amazing Spiderman 2
56. Guardians of the Galaxy
57. The Raid 2
58. Brick Mansions
59. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1
60. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2
61. Starship Troopers: Invasion
62. Draft Day
63. Neighbors
64. Open Grave

Icomp

I wish I had the patience to read a book. I'm so slow it's insane. I read a page as if someone is speaking the words at a moderate pace. Meanwhile I have friends who read fast as shit. :(

Mumei

I wish I had the patience to read a book. I'm so slow it's insane. I read a page as if someone is speaking the words at a moderate pace. Meanwhile I have friends who read fast as shit. :(

Practice makes perfect marginally faster!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Practice makes perfect marginally faster!

He tells the truth. Keep on reading. Sped up my reading considerably this year thanks to last year's competition. Oh, don't start out reading giant ass fantasy novels or you're stuck for ages...

Icomp

He tells the truth. Keep on reading. Sped up my reading considerably this year thanks to last year's competition. Oh, don't start out reading giant ass fantasy novels or you're stuck for ages...

That's exactly what I did. Damn. Maybe I should give anything else another go.

Mumei

That's exactly what I did. Damn. Maybe I should give anything else another go.

If you really want to read the giant fantasy novels, try pairing them with something shorter, like 200 - 250 pages. In my case, I tend to read non-fiction much more quickly than fiction, though there are exceptions. Just try to read a chapter (or two if you're feeling ambitious) from the big fantasy novel / day, and spend most of your time on the shorter book. It doesn't actually make you go any faster, but you'll still feel like you're making more progress by actually completing books.

It sounds like you're vocalizing every word you read in your head. That's a guaranteed way to read very slowly, since you're doing two mental processes for each word when you only need one. Your brain can process and understand words much faster if you aren't "saying" them in your head. You just see them and recognize them.

I did some speed reading training a few years back for my job and one trick we employed was to lightly hum to ourselves while reading. When you hum, you can't vocalize as easily and it will eventually break that habit.

I don't speed read books for this challenge, but even by breaking the vocalizing habit I've come to read way faster.

Pau

I read in kind of the same way. While I can speed read and do it when reading research, I enjoy literature a lot, lot more if I read it this way. But as other posters have said, you can still increase your reading speed.

What I've done is switch between nonfiction, different times of fiction, small books and short ones. It's helped keep momentum. (Until now that is!) And just make sure to read every day, no matter what! Even if it's just 10 or 20 pages. It adds up!

I totally forgot to update for September. Didn't make the movie cut, but added some books at least. I had an annotated bibliography due in August so most of my reading was that stuff. I really need to get back into the swing of reading every day.

Necrovex

It sounds like you're vocalizing every word you read in your head. That's a guaranteed way to read very slowly, since you're doing two mental processes for each word when you only need one. Your brain can process and understand words much faster if you aren't "saying" them in your head. You just see them and recognize them.

I did some speed reading training a few years back for my job and one trick we employed was to lightly hum to ourselves while reading. When you hum, you can't vocalize as easily and it will eventually break that habit.

I don't speed read books for this challenge, but even by breaking the vocalizing habit I've come to read way faster.

I can't imagine not voicing the words out in my head as I read. Like I feel like I would miss half the content if I didn't do that!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Books
  • A Storm of Swords, Part 2: Blood and Gold (2000), George R.R. Martin - ★★★★ - Going into the third book I really expected to only see the third season of Game of Thrones. I was wrong. It really picks up in the second part. Red Wedding and a really interesting ending that made me pick up the next book directly (putting aside Njals saga, For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Wind on the Moon which will come soon).

Games
  • Enslaved: Odyssey to the West [PC] (2010, dev. Ninja Theory) - ★★★½ - Ninja Theory is one of my favorite developers. Not because their games are all that great but because of that they're always interesting. If it weren't for the shoddy quality of DmC on consoles I would have played the hell out of it. Enslaved is great. It begs for a sequel but I understand why it didn't find market appeal. The combat is great and aggressive. Andy Serkis does a fantastic job. The animation is top-notch, same with art direction. There's just a lack of a certain je ne sais quoi that keeps it from being great.

A day late but then again I didn't finish the Blood and Gold until an hour ago so. My excuse is that I was off painting my girlfriend's family's summer cottage in the middle of the woods all weekend.

August update:

Woah! An update that is more or less on time for a change! I thought I was going to do a hell of a lot more reading than I actually did this month. I had read three books by August 5th, but then I got stuck on the fourth book for weeks as I kept losing interest in it here and there (The King in Yellow). I do think I watched more movies than ever, though.

==============

I follow my own personal 4 star scale:

★★★★ = Timeless Masterpiece
★★★ = Buy
★★ = Rent/Borrow
★ = Avoid

=============

ridley182 - 27/50 Books | 121/50 Movies

Books:

A Raisin in the Sun ★★★
2001: A Space Odyssey &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; < Favorite Book of the Month
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
The King in Yellow &#9733;&#9733;

Movies:

Slumdog Millionaire &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Guardians of the Galaxy &#9733;&#9733;
The Raid 2 &#9733;
8 1/2 &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Edge of Tomorrow &#9733;&#9733;
Children of the Corn &#9733;
An Autumn Afternoon &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
The Road &#9733;&#9733;
The Elephant Man &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
The Black Cauldron &#9733;&#9733;
Autumn Sonata &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Mad Max &#9733;&#9733;
The Passion of Joan of Arc &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
American Ninja &#9733;
The True Man Show &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
My Best Fiend &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Trip to Italy &#9733;&#9733;
The Apartment &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
The Fisher King &#9733;&#9733;
The Long Goodbye &#9733;&#9733;
Reefer Madness &#9733;&#9733;
Aguirre: The Wrath of God &#9733;&#9733;&#9733; < Favorite Movie of the Month
V/H/S &#9733;&#9733;
The Seventh Seal &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;

=============

Favorite Book - August: 2001: A Space Odyssey

If you are a fan of the movie (it's my favorite movie of all time in fact), then reading the book is a no brainer (don't ask me why I hadn't read it yet, I couldn't tell you!). It was written concurrently with the movie's script and explains some of the most vague details in the film. While I do like the movie a whole lot more, the book is still a must read piece of science fiction; right up there with Dune and Foundation. "My God-it's full of stars!" Yup! I gave it FOUR!

Favorite Movie - August: Aguirre: The Wrath of God

I have seen many Herzog docs, but this is the first time I see one of his feature films. If I were to describe this movie in just one word, "HYPNOTIC" would be it. The cinematography is excellent (dat intro, my lord), the music is absolutely fantastic, and there is some great acting as well (Kinski might have been a massive asshole IRL, but he knocks it out of the park with this role). The story behind the shooting is just as fascinating as the film itself (I also saw "My Best Fiend" just before watching Aguirre, in which Herzog discusses his relationship with Kinski before, during, and after filming it. Highly recommended.

If you really want to read the giant fantasy novels, try pairing them with something shorter, like 200 - 250 pages. In my case, I tend to read non-fiction much more quickly than fiction, though there are exceptions. Just try to read a chapter (or two if you're feeling ambitious) from the big fantasy novel / day, and spend most of your time on the shorter book. It doesn't actually make you go any faster, but you'll still feel like you're making more progress by actually completing books.

^ yep. Great advice for anyone. Sometimes a bigger novel slows down a bit, and that discourages you from picking up the book that night before bed. Instead, pick a smaller book (maybe non-fiction) that interests you.

I almost always have 2 books I'm reading at a time, sometimes 3.

Mumei

Yeah, I don't have the vocalizing habit. It's something I'll do if I want to force myself to slow down, and I'll do it if there's something about the way that the prose is written that keeps throwing me, but it's always a choice.

It depends on the novel I'm reading whether I stop it or not. Literature like McCarthy and Delillo I specifically slow down. The prose itself and the way it sounds is part of the appeal. Blood Meridian is not the same if you don't speak a lot of the passages out loud. The Crossing and White Noise as well.

Enco

I honestly don't see how you can read without vocalising.

I've always had that habit and not doing it sounds impossible.

Mumei

I honestly don't see how you can read without vocalising.

I've always had that habit and not doing it sounds impossible.

You can!

It becomes a matter of sight-recognition, where you see the sentence and read it all at once. For instance, when I saw, "I honestly don't see how you can read without vocalising," I didn't read each word individually, but recognized everything at the same moment. Basically, rather than focusing on words as individual elements that you need to decode, you recognize them on sight, which allows you to focus on the whole and read multiple words at the same time (and then your brain magically puts them in the right order). This is why I have to force myself to vocalize when the order of words is nontraditional (whether it's a mistake or a stylistic choice).

I have a co-worker who I can tell subvocalizes, because when I find an amusing meme or something and share it with him, I have to wait for what feels like an interminably long time as he reads one word at a time.

Enco

You can!

It becomes a matter of sight-recognition, where you see the sentence and read it all at once. For instance, when I saw, "I honestly don't see how you can read without vocalising," I didn't read each word individually, but recognized everything at the same moment. Basically, rather than focusing on words as individual elements that you need to decode, you recognize them on sight, which allows you to focus on the whole and read multiple words at the same time (and then your brain magically puts them in the right order). This is why I have to force myself to vocalize when the order of words is nontraditional (whether it's a mistake or a stylistic choice).

I have a co-worker who I can tell subvocalizes, because when I find an amusing meme or something and share it with him, I have to wait for what feels like an interminably long time as he reads one word at a time.
Doesn't that affect your comprehension?

I tried doing it and read everything but I didn't really process it.

Doesn't that affect your comprehension?

Nope. Your brain still receives the full information and processes it like anything else, you just aren't taking an additional step in reading it "out loud" in your head. What slows people down when they read is that added step. It's a very natural occurrence and I would guess almost everyone does it. Think of it as a habit that may be difficult to break, but it adds nothing to your reading experience.

Try the humming thing for a page or so and see what happens. It won't feel natural at first, but in the long run it will greatly improve your reading speed.

Just watched Escape From New York. Next up: Red Dawn. Stumpokapow would be proud of my movie choices.

Those are classics! :p

The garbage I've seen this year makes me want to blush. Ashes told me last year to stop worrying about watching critically acclaimed "great" films, which is basically what I would exclusively watch. Limited time makes me want to watch stuff that ends up being worth a damn. Not this year. My wife keeps asking me what the heck I'm watching.

Let's see:
- Both Ghost Rider films
- A terrible JCVD movie called Lionheart
- Police Academy 1-4 (and counting!)
- Pitch Perfect
- RV
- The Internship

It's getting ugly out there.

kswiston

Nope. Your brain still receives the full information and processes it like anything else, you just aren't taking an additional step in reading it "out loud" in your head. What slows people down when they read is that added step. It's a very natural occurrence and I would guess almost everyone does it. Think of it as a habit that may be difficult to break, but it adds nothing to your reading experience.

Try the humming thing for a page or so and see what happens. It won't feel natural at first, but in the long run it will greatly improve your reading speed.

I do this with web articles, GAF posts, research papers, etc, but I actually like going at near vocalization speed at novels. I like imagining the people talking while I read fiction. It also gives me time to picture the scenes and people being described.

Also, garbage films are sometimes a time necessity. If I have 80-90 minutes to watch a film on Netflix, my choices are probably going to be limited to something animated, comedies or shitty action films.

Also, garbage films are sometimes a time necessity. If I have 80-90 minutes to watch a film on Netflix, my choices are probably going to be limited to something animated, comedies or shitty action films.

Documentaries and stand-up comedy are both viable options.

Enco

I do this with web articles, GAF posts, research papers, etc, but I actually like going at near vocalization speed at novels. I like imagining the people talking while I read fiction. It also gives me time to picture the scenes and people being described.

Yea I can imagine I'll keep doing it for stories.

Thanks I'll try it out.

kinoki

i'm just too tired to watch movies!

why did no one tell me a full time job would take FULL TIMES

I've haven't been in the mood to see a movie for a long time. The most recent movies I've watched has been due to my girlfriend insisting on watching a movie. The Fisher King I saw while eating breakfast last weekend. TV-series have been easier to digest. I've watched Mad Men S6, The Leftovers S1, Fargo S1, True Blood S7, Star Trek: TNG S5-7 and a few others I'm most likely forgetting. The hour formating and the indifference if you miss out on a few minutes is what makes it so great.

Also: working full-time, part-time studying, working out 2-4 times per week, etc, really takes its toll on the amount of time you can dedicate to movies. They're just so long at the moment. It'll probably be a while until I find the patience to watch a movie.

I read at 278 wpm with 82% comprehension when I'm really tired (just tested myself on Bing's first search result; 300 and 60% is average)! I went to sleep at 2AM. I'm so proud of my completely ordinary reading ability! I don't trust the comprehension test though, it's too general and easy. Someone who didn't even read the article could probably pull off an average score at least.

Thought I'd share this article about speed reading: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4229

I'm just lazily posting this article. I haven't checked his sources or anything, so debating me on this would be pointless. It's an interesting read though.

I will try that humming technique. I definitely feel my subvocalization slowing me down--however, I also like taking my time reading. That article suggests circumventing subvocalization is literally impossible, but I can try anyway :) I've tried Mumei's idea too and my comprehension was zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom