• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 books. 50 movies. 2015. (Follow Format in OP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

choodi

Banned
No, I'm saying that "As i said, no one is going to check up on you to see if you are following the one rule of the challenge." and then seven posts prior he's checking up on everyone and ensuring they're following the one rule of the challenge is a little wonky.

and in the interest of not taking up any more space: I have had less than 3 hours of sleep last night and am in a terrible mood so I'm just going to stop replying except for the requisite post as outlined in the OP.

Seriously?

My post was hardly about checking up on people, it was aimed at stopping the same inane questions that muddy up the thread every year.

Maybe I should have just posted something to the effect of, "read the OP".

Pluto

Here's my January update, five books so far, still stuck at one movie ...

Pluto 5/50 Books | 1/50 Movies​

I've started reading the Haruhi Suzumiya series, it's been great so far. I was kinda familiar with the anime, so I knew what to expect, I'll try to finish the rest of the series in February, unless I decide to take a break, I also plan to start Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Update
7. The Third Section by Jasper Kent - ★★★ - This series doesn't look as though it will ever reach the heights of the first book.
Really? Any particular reason? Because I loved the first book and didn't know there were sequels.

edit: holy shit, there are five books. In my defense I read "Twelve" back when it was published in 09 so there weren't any others.

Camwi

I'd like to participate, though I know the book part of the challenge I'll likely miss due to the fact that I'm reading through the Wheel of Time series again (at least the ones I've read, which is about half of 'em), and those books are huge.

Movies I should be ok with.

Ratings out of five ★s.

Camwi - 0/50 books | 6/50 movies
Books

Books that don't count (because I've read them before)
1. The Shadow Rising
2. The Fires of Heaven (53% through Lord of Chaos)

Movies
1. Gone Girl ★★★★★
Can't believe the movie was as long as it was, because it flew by. Gripping from beginning to end. You'd think that the big twist being halfway through the movie would slow things down, but it doesn't. Soundtrack was excellent. Fincher and Reznor should be attached at the hip.
2. Lucy ★★
Had low expectations going into the movie. I really just wanted to see how crazy her powers became.
3. 300: Rise of an Empire ★
Total stinker. Again, had low expectations before seeing it, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. Sullivan Stapleton was a bad hero and Eva Green was an awful villian, no matter how many people she gutted. I loved 300, for the record.
4. Nightcrawler ★★★★1/2
Great film. Gyllenhaal just killed it. The one thing I knocked the movie for was an ending that didn't sit quite well enough with me, especially after that amazing climax.
5. The Butterfly Effect ★★★1/2
I initially avoided this film because I'm not an Ashton Kutcher fan, but I'm glad I went back and watched it. I didn't know the movie had multiple endings, and the one I was was the "depressing" ending, which I didn't really care for. Made the movie seem too much like a Donnie Darko clone.
6. Boyhood ★★★
I liked the movie, but I definitely don't feel it deserves to be mentioned with some of the other movies released last year. Probably won't watch it again, but it was still fascinating watching the kid grow up throughout the film.
7. Horrible Bosses ★★★
Better than I was expecting. I watched it mainly due to the fact that the sequel was just released. Got a couple of good laughs out of the movie.
8. Tusk ★1/2
I heard the movie was bad beforehand, but wanted to watch it because I've liked a lot of Kevin Smith's movies in the past, and wanted to see how he did with a horror movie. Unfortunately, the movie just isn't good past the first half hour or so. It's not funny enough to be a comedy, nor is it scary enough to be a horror. It's just bad.
9. Under the Skin ★
Holy shit this movie sucked. I just kept waiting for something to happen and nothing ever did. My wife and I couldn't even make it through the whole movie, we ended up just fast forwarding through it to see if there were anymore Scarlett Johansson boob shots.
Then afterwards, I looked at the rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and was SHOCKED to see how high a rating it had. The fan rating made more sense, since it's apparently a very polarizing movie, and I'm on the "It was fucking awful" side.
10. 12 Years a Slave ★★★★
Excellent movie, but one of those films that I'll probably only watch once due to how depressing it is. Extremely well made though. The music really adds to the dread during the beginning boat ride of the movie.

Guamu

This might just be me, but personally I wouldn't count single comic trades as books.

I agree with you. I prefer to count a group of volumes as 1 book.

I'm using the completely scientific
made up
method of counting total pages/10 and see if it passes the 100 pages benchmark to include it in the count.

AM I too late to be added the OP?

Never too late. Just format your post with OP's guidelines so it will be easier to find your updates

This might just be me, but personally I wouldn't count single comic trades as books.

Yeah, counting a single trade paperback as a book removes the "challenge" portion from this. You could complete all 50 books in a month otherwise, but you'd be doing very little actual reading.

I love comics and will always enjoy reading them, so I've developed two work-arounds:

1) Group them by completed runs. This works for books that have already "finished" and have a defined beginning and end, and is very clear cut. It doesn't really matter if you are counting 35 issues, or 100+ issues. The point is, you are counting a complete story as a book. For instance, last year I grouped the 87-issue run of Punisher MAX that spanned a six-year period as a single book. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than trying to count it as 15 separate books. You have to figure that a single comic book contains ~1-2 pages of writing, total. I don't mean their scripts that contain vivid scene descriptions and proper formatting for dialogue...I'm talking actual writing. It makes a lot more sense for me to equate the ~175 pages of reading as one book, as opposed to equating it with ~4,500 pages of reading.

2) For ongoing series, stick to the concept that individual issues are pages, and trade are chapters or a collection of chapters. If you want to be very generous to yourself, group an entire year's output from a book (~12 issues) as a book...but that's being very generous to yourself. For instance, last year I read all 24 issues of Saga to date, and counted them as one book. If you count them as 4 separate books, you're essentially equating 8 pages of writing with 1,200+. Now that I'm caught up with the series, I'll use my best judgment going forward on how to count them. The plan for now is to group the entire 2015 run under the entry for one book, but as I said that is being generous.

TL;DR - Comics are awesome, and you should read them. Just be careful with counting a single trade as a "book," because it is nowhere near that in terms of length or time commitment. Reading 50 TPBs in a year is not very impressive at all. There are folks over in Comic GAF that do that every other month.

Mumei

Yeah, counting a single trade paperback as a book removes the "challenge" portion from this. You could complete all 50 books in a month otherwise, but you'd be doing very little actual reading.

I love comics and will always enjoy reading them, so I've developed two work-arounds:

1) Group them by completed runs. This works for books that have already "finished" and have a defined beginning and end. For instance, last year I grouped the 87-issue run of Punisher MAX that spanned a six-year period as a single book. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than trying to count it as 15 separate books. You have to figure that a single comic book contains ~1-2 pages of writing, total. I don't mean their scripts that contain vivid scene descriptions and proper formatting for dialogue...I'm talking actual writing. It makes a lot more sense for me to equate the ~175 pages of reading as one book, as opposed to equating it with ~4,500 pages of reading.

It varies. For instance, I was (really) bored once and counted how many words were on a few pages of an issue of Sandman - and there were 200 - 300+ words per page. Maybe they were particularly wordy pages, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sandman had the equivalent of 200 - 300,000 words over 2000 pages.

I agree otherwise, though.

It varies. For instance, I was (really) bored once and counted how many words were on a few pages of an issue of Sandman - and there were 200 - 300+ words per page. Maybe they were particularly wordy pages, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sandman had the equivalent of 200 - 300,000 words over 2000 pages.

I agree otherwise, though.

I haven't read Sandman yet, but it definitely has that Gaiman reputation. I know how wordy the Watchmen trade is, so I agree with you on that front. You'll find twice as many words in Fables as you will in Daredevil, for instance. I'm slowly going through all the Hellblazer books and they are also quite wordy.

My guesstimate is much more accurate for your traditional cape book, but it largely holds true for the big three publishers. I saw Saga and Y: The Last Man (favorite comic ever!) mentioned in the list you quoted, and BKV is closer to the two page estimate than those higher word counts.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Any particular reason? Because I loved the first book and didn't know there were sequels.

edit: holy shit, there are five books. In my defense I read "Twelve" back when it was published in 09 so there weren't any others.

I loved the first book, too. All the sequels are in third person instead of the first person of Twelve and I think it really loses something with that transition.

Edit: I should specify, that isn't my only problem with the books. I'd be fine with the change, but it seems to lose the atmosphere of the first one and along with that just the plot of the others isn't nearly as good.

Pau

I count single trades if there are no other parts to the story. :( I figure I'm gonna hit the 50 book mark without it anyways.

In return, I don't count all the reading I do for research

Ashes

Banned
I've counted From Hell, in the past. But I've also counted smaller comics too, one or two here and there don't make a difference - it's a bit different if you read fifty small comics.

But I've counted one or two books/films I've seen in the past, which is against the original fiftyfifty.me rules. I suppose it helps that I don't really give a damn about how my list is perceived. :p

Then again getting to 50 novels, is so out of reach that I'm just grateful I manage to land near enough around that mark.

Wanting to drop books I hate is making this a true reading challenge for me. Done it twice so far after getting halfway through a book. Don't know if it's my actual tastes or the lack of practice reading this much.

Mumei

Wanting to drop books I hate is making this a true reading challenge for me. Done it twice so far after getting halfway through a book. Don't know if it's my actual tastes or the lack of practice reading this much.

What books have you liked and what books have you disliked? Maybe you can get some suggestions.

What books have you liked and what books have you disliked? Maybe you can get some suggestions.

Oh okay. Favorite books off the top of my head are
American Psycho, I Robot, Catch-22, Of Mice and Men, A Visit from the Goon Squad, and Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Books I've failed to get into include Foundation, Gone Girl, Dark Places, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Life of Pi.

If that helps.

Mumei

Oh okay. Favorite books off the top of my head are
American Psycho, I Robot, Catch-22, Of Mice and Men, A Visit from the Goon Squad, and Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Books I've failed to get into include Foundation, Gone Girl, Dark Places, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Life of Pi.

If that helps.

You should read the other Robot books - The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and The Robots of Dawn.

tmarques

How's everyone doing the indent thing before their names? Mine are removed when I hit post.

End of the month update:
tmarques - 6/50 books | 12/50 movies​

Not bad for month 1, but come march I won't have nearly as much free time so I still doubt I'll make it.

And everyone needs to watch 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?'. Seriously.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Monthly update!

My favorite book this month was probably The Price of Spring, last of the Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham. Each book kept getting better and the last in particular was fantastic. I'll need to start Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin one of these days!

Movie-wise, I am ashamed to admit that I had never watched the Indiana Jones trilogy before although I am happy to have finally remedied that >.>

TestMonkey - 12/50 Books | 12/50 Movies​

Books

• Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
  • Dog by Michelle Herman
  • Fobbit by David Abrams
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind by Zack Whedon and Georges Jeanty
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks
  • 5 Very Good Reasons To Punch A Dolphin In The Mouth (And Other Useful Guides) by Matthew Inman aka The Oatmeal
  • How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You by Matthew Inman aka The Oatmeal
  • You by Austin Grossman
  • Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett
  • Horns by Joe Hill
  • Dog Shaming by Pascale Lemire
  • A Fighting Chance by Elizabeth Warren
Movies

• I, Frankenstein
  • Harlock: Space Pirate
  • Frozen
  • Jim Breuer: And Laughter for All
  • Bo Burnham: what.
  • The Invincible Iron Man
  • The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi
  • Kundo: Age of the Rampant
  • Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
  • Patton Oswalt: Tragedy Plus Comedy Equals Time
  • Women Aren't Funny
  • It's Such a Beautiful Day

Not a bad start. Nothing really stood out from what I read and It's Such a Beautiful Day was a weirdly good movie.

Laieon

I think I'm going to keep track of the books, movies, and TV shows I watch - just for fun. As far as TV shows go, I'm only going to add them if I completed at least a season this year.

Books
  • Without You, There is No Us - Suki Kim
  • The Martian - Andy Weir
  • Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
  • Isaac's Storm - Erik Larson

Movies
  • Gone Girl
  • The Chaser (추격자)
  • I Saw the Devil (악마를 보았다)
  • The Man From Nowhere (아저씨)
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • Nightcrawler
  • Astro Boy
  • Big Hero 6
  • Whiplash
  • The Incredibles
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • A Haunted House 2
  • Dinosaur 13
  • Horrible Bosses
  • Horrible Bosses 2
  • Pulp Fiction

TV Shows
  • Pinocchio (피노키오)
  • Gap Dong (갑동이)
  • Parks and Recreation

rickyson1

kinda have a goal of reading 50 books this year anyways so this seems like a good idea,I don't watch very many movies though so that one might be tough but i'll give it a shot

rickyson1- 19/50 books | 13/50 movies

Books:

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch
The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch
Personal by Lee Child
Half the World by Joe Abercrombie
Hounded by Kevin Hearne
Hexed by Kevin Hearne
Hammered by Kevin Hearne
Tricked by Kevin Hearne
Trapped by Kevin Hearne
Hunted by Kevin Hearne
Shattered by Kevin Hearne
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb
Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb
Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb
The Mad Ship by Robin Hobb
Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb

Movies:

Batman Begins
Interstellar
Catch Me If You Can
The Wolf of Wall Street
Charlie Wilson's War
12 Angry Men(1957)
Donnie Darko
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
American Psycho
The Usual Suspects
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
All the President's Men
Scarface

smiggyRT

smiggyRT - 00/50 Books | 25/50 Movies

Books

Movies
11. Whiplash
12. Gone Girl
13. Big Hero 6
14. American Sniper
15. Foxcatcher
16. Resident Evil: Retribution
17. 2 Guns
18. John Wick
19. Riddick
20. The Zero Theorem
21. Eastern Promises
22. Jodorowsky's Dune
23. Taken 3
24. Adventureland
25. Ex Machina

January Update, half way there with movies. Started reading but not near the end on any.

Narag

Guess i'll use this for my master post. Slow start at that.

Narag - 57/50 Books | 63/50 Movies

Books
1.Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ★★★★
2. Ernest Cline - Ready Player One ★
3. Brandon Sanderson - The Alloy of Law ★★
4. Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind ★★
5. Patrick Rothfuss - The Wise Man’s Fear ★
6. Michael J. Sullivan - The Crown Conspiracy ★
7. Veronica Roth - Divergent ★
8. Patrick Rothfuss - The Slow Regard of Silent Things ★
9. Richard Kadrey - Kill City Blues ★★★
10. Mark Lawrence - Prince of Thorns ★★★★
11. Terry Pratchett - The Light Fantastic ★★★★
12. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 3: Demon Deathchase ★★★
13. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 4: Tale of the Dead Town ★★★★
14. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 5: The Stuff of Dreams ★★★★
15. Nagaru Tanigawa - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ★★★★
16. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 6: Pilgrimage of the Sacred and the Profane ★★★
17. Romulus Hillsborough - Shinsengumi: The Shogun's Last Samurai Corps ★★
18. Haruki Murakami - Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage ★★★★
19. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 7: Mysterious Journey to the North Sea - Part One ★★★★
20. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Noble V: Greylancer ★★★★
21. Ryūnosuke Akutagawa - Rashomon: And Other Stories ★★★★
22. Kazuma Kamachi - A Certain Magical Index, Vol. 1 ★
23. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 8: Mysterious Journey to the North Sea - Part Two ★★★
24. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 9: The Rose Princess ★★
25. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Volume 10: Dark Nocturne ★
26. Yei Theodora Ozaki - Japanese Fairy Tales ★★★
27. Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance ★★★★
28. Truman Capote - Breakfast at Tiffany’s ★★★★★
29. Aidan Moher - Tide of Shadows and Other Stories ★★★
30. Seth MacFarlane - A Million Ways to Die in the West ★★★
31. Haruki Murakami - The Strange Library ★★★
32. Bernand Malamud - The Natural ★★★
33. Ian Fleming - For Your Eyes Only ★★★★
34. George Gibson - Mad Manx: Furry Road ★★★
35. Richard Bach - Jonathan Livingston Seagull ★★★
36. F. Paul Wilson - The Last Rakosh ★★
37. J.K. Rowling - The Tales of Beedle the Bard ★★★
38. Precious - Push ★★★
39. Brandon Sanderson - Firefight ★★★
40. James Sallis - Drive ★★★★
41. Richard A. Knaak - Wolfheart ★★★
42. Ernest Cline - Armada ★
43. Yuu Kamiya - No Game No Life Vol #1 ★★
44. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Wicked City: Black Guard ★★★
45. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Vol. 11: Pale Fallen Angel 1 & 2 ★★★★
46. James Clavell - Shogun ★★★★★
47. Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood ★★★★★
48. Hideyuki Kikuchi - Vampire Hunter D Vol #12 Pale Fallen Angel 3 & 4 ★★
49. Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep ★★★★
50. Gillian Flynn - Gone Girl ★★★★
51. Andy Weir - The Martian ★★★★
52. George Romero - Dawn of the Dead ★★★★
53. Jack Finney - Invasion of the Body Snatchers ★★
54. Arthur C. Clarke - Childhood’s End ★★★
55. Stephen King - The Running Man ★★
56. Raymond Chandler - Farewell my Lovely ★★★★★
57. Raymond Chandler - The High Window ★★★★★

Movies
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) ★★½
2. This Is Where I Leave You ★½
3. The Interview ★★½
4. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ★★
5. St. Vincent ★★★★
6. Annabelle ★½
7.Foxcatcher ★★★
8. Dracula Untold ½
9. Whiplash ★★★★★
10.The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 ★★★½
11. Friday the 13th ★★★
12. Hellraiser: Inferno ½
13. The Secret of Kells ★★★★
14. Lone Survivor ★★½
15. Nightcrawler ★★★★
16. Friday the 13th Part 2 ★★★
17. The Giver ★★
18. Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part I: Beginnings ★★★★
19. Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part II: Eternal ★★★★
20. Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: Rebellion ★★★★★
21. Sleeping Beauty ★★★
22. Gyakuten Saiban ★★★½
23. 13 Assassins ★★★½
24. Mortdecai ½
25. Mad Max: Fury Road ★★★★★
26. The Equalizer ★★★
27. Mr. Turner ★★★★
28. Seventh Son ★★
29. Kung Fury ★★★★★
30. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies ½
31. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water ★★★★
32. Dumb and Dumberer To ½
33. Avengers: Age of Ultron ★★★
34. Jurassic World ★★★★
35. Lupin III :Daisuke Jigen’s Gravestone ★★★★★
36. Gauche the Cellist ★★★★★
37. Lupin III: Steal Napoleon’s Dictionary! ★★½
38. Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark ★★★★★
39. Lupin III: From Russia With Love ★★★★
40. Neo-Tokyo ★★★½
41. The Warriors ★★★★
42. Persopolis ★★★★½
43. Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead ★★★★
44. Black Dynamite ★★★½
45. The Five Venoms ★★★★
46. Tomorrowland ★½
47. Waltz with Bashir ★★★½
48. Beasts of No Nation ★★★★½
49. God of Cookery ★★★★
50. Kelly’s Heroes ★★★★½
51. Ponyo ★★★★
52. Porco Rosso ★★★★★
53. The Wind Rises ★★★★
54. Whisper of the Heart ★★★★
55. The Cat Returns ★★★
56. The Secret World of Arreity ★★★★★
57. When Marnie Was There ★★★★★
58. Ocean Waves ★★½
59. Grave of the Fireflies ★★★★★
60. My Neighbor The Yamadas ★★★★½
61. Pom Poko ★★★★½
62. Only Yesterday ★★★★★
63. The Tale of Princess Kaguya ★★★★★

Tragicomedy - 11/50 Books | 04/50 Movies​

Good first month. As usual, I'm barely scraping by on the movie front. The standout on the reading from was Zero by Ales Kot. Image comics has been obliterating the rest of the industry for the better part of three years now, and this is among their very best. Dark, gritty, mysterious, and beautifully illustrated, it's another must-read in their catalogue.

Nothing to really highlight on the movie front, but I plan on taking my boy to Paddington tomorrow so that may change.

Vaddon

End of month update.

Vaddon - 1/50 Books | 4/50 Movies

Not a great showing for the first month but I knew it'd be tough, what with January exams and all getting in the way. So I'm pleased nonetheless with the little progress I have made, I know it'll pick up over the next few months when I have more time on my hands.

The handful of movies I did watch were all interesting enough and the one book I managed to squeeze in was fantastic. I know it's widely recognised as the best book ever written on cricket and it stands true to that reputation, I'd easily recommend it to anyone interested in the sport.

Glaurungr

Glaurungr - 14/50 books | 31/50 movies​

First update!

Books:

• Bernard Cornwell - The Pale Horseman (2005)
  • Brandon Sanderson - Firefight (2015)
  • Dante Alighieri - The Divine Comedy (1321)
  • Edgar Allan Poe - Edgar Allan Poe: Poems and Poetics (2003)
  • Garth Nix - Clariel (2014)
  • Jan Ingar Thon - Varulver: Blodtørstige menneskedyr og hårete filmhelter (2006)
  • Judith Flanders - The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (2011)
  • Kathy Reichs - Déjà Dead (1997)
  • Lois McMaster Bujold - Brothers in Arms (1989)
  • Ludvig Holm-Olsen (trans.) - Edda: II - Heltedikt (The Poetic Edda: Part II) (1975)
  • Owen Davies - Grimoires: A History of Magic Books (2009)
  • Rachel Bach - Fortune's Pawn (2013)
  • Snorri Sturluson - Edda (The Prose Edda) (1220)
  • Victoria Durnak - Natt på museet (2012)

• Mary Bente Bringslid - Stankelbeinskrift (2009)
  • Philip Larkin - High Windows (1974)
  • Pia Strømstad and Jan-Kåre Øien (ill.) - Julenissen (2012)
  • Robert Jordan - A Crown of Swords (1996)
  • Sally Regan - Vampyrer (The Vampire Book) (2009)

Movies:

• Adaptation - Spike Jonze (2002)
  • A Walk Among the Tombstones - Scott Frank (2014)
  • Bravo Two Zero - Tom Clegg (1999)
  • Brother Bear - Aaron Blaise and Robert Walker (2003)
  • Conan the Destroyer - Richard Fleischer (1984)
  • Dracula Untold - Gary Shore (2014)
  • Fantasia/2000 - James Algar and Gaëtan Brizzi (1999)
  • Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann (The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared) - Felix Herngren (2013)
  • G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Stephen Sommers (2009)
  • G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Jon M. Chu (2013)
  • Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) - Isao Takahata (1988)
  • John Wick - Chad Stahelski (2014)
  • Kaze tachinu (The Wind Rises) - Hayao Miyazaki (2013)
  • King Kong - Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack (1933)
  • Labyrinth - Jim Henson (1986)
  • Legend - Ridley Scott (1985)
  • Life of Brian - Terry Jones (1979)
  • Over the Top - Menahem Golan (1987)
  • Persepolis - Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi (2007)
  • Predestination - Michael Spierig and Peter Spierig (2014)
  • Raw Deal - John Irvin (1986)
  • Taken 3 - Olivier Megaton (2014)
  • The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - James Algar and Clyde Geronimi (1949)
  • The AristoCats - Wolfgang Reitherman (1970)
  • The Chronicles of Riddick - David Twohy (2004)
  • The Judge - David Dobkin (2014)
  • The Maze Runner - Wes Ball (2014)
  • The Pianist - Roman Polanski (2002)
  • The Prestige - Christopher Nolan (2006)
  • The Thing - John Carpenter (1982)
  • The Wizard of Oz - Victor Fleming (1939)

• Le voyage dans la lune (A Trip to the Moon) - Georges Méliès (1902)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
First month update:

Books 1/50 Movies 6/50

Books
It - January 18th: ★★★½

Movies
Dr. No - January 1st: ½
Birdman - January 8th: ★★★★½
Side Effects - January 15th: ★★★½
Automata - January 25th: ½
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars - January 26th:
The Imitation Game - January 31st: ★★★

To no surprise I'm behind on books. I'm almost done one, am listening to a short audiobook and have a third that I'm >50% done with.

I'm ahead on movies thanks to the Netflix Movie Club. Movie of the month was definitely Birdman. I wanted to watch more James Bond movies but it did not happen. Biggest disappointment was The Imitation Game, entirely because of how Kiera Knightley's character was handled. They failed to go against the frequent use of women being objects of men, despite having the opportunity handed to them. Benadryl Cabagepatch did a great job, although his character was borderline autistic which from my reading is highly exaggerated of Alan Turing. I know movies over embellish "based on true stories", but the Imitation Game makes some stupid changes.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My goal is to read 30 minutes a day in fifteen minutes intervals. I haven't been the most successful, but I have hopes it will improve in February.

cocopuffs - 0/50 Books | 05/50 Movies

Realized its much easier to watch a lot of movies than it is to read a ton of books. I'll be surprised if I even get 5 books completed by the end of the year honestly. Kinda thinking of just buying a Kindle to make it easier to actually take the effort to read.

Try audiobooks. I listen to them while commuting, cooking and eating. They kickstarted my interest in physical books/ebooks. You should check some out :)

Update

You Are Viewtiful - 5/50 Books | 3/50 Movies

----

I discovered yesterday that my uni library has a lot of old books that are on my "to-read" list, and here I was thinking it was useless since it didn't have many contemporaries :p

Mumei

January Update~

Books
  1. The Safety of Objects: Stories by A.M. Homes, by A.M. Homes
  2. Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality, by Patrick Sharkey
  3. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke
  4. Lord of Chaos: Book Six of The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan
  5. A Crown of Swords: Book Seven of The Wheel of Time
  6. War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy
  7. My Traitor's Heart: A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience, by Rian Malan
  8. An Empire of Wealth: The Epic History of American Economic Power, by John Steele Gordon
  9. Earth's Deep History: How It Was Discovered and Why It Matters, by Martin J. S. Rudwick
  10. The Path of Daggers: Book Eight of The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan
  11. Winter's Heart: Book Nine of The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan
  12. Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan

15808458.jpg
13593328.jpg
76852.jpg

13539229.jpg
16059619.jpg
3774496.jpg

61118.jpg
1948664.jpg
20701881.jpg

17332292.jpg
17910142.jpg
18490662.jpg

Comics, Manga, and Sub-100 Page Books
  • Please Save My Earth, by Saki Hiwatari
    • Volume 15 (January 24)
    • Volume 16 (January 27)
    • Volume 17 (January 30)

Movies
  1. In A World...
  2. Dear Mr. Watterson
  3. The Road to El Dorado
  4. Election
  5. World War Z
  6. Iron Monkey
  7. Footloose
  8. The Great Mouse Detective
  9. Good Will Hunting
  10. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  11. A Knight's Tale
  • Fantasia
  • Hercules
  • Robin Hood (1977)
  • The Rescuers
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • The Fox & the Hound
  • Mulan
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Pocahontas

Television
  1. The Fall
    • Series 1 (January 27)
    • Series 2 (January 30)
  2. Marvel's Agents of Shield
    • Season 1 (January 25)

Ashes

Banned
Best keep those big pics for the reading thread Mumei. Getting to be a chore to scroll down these pages. And it's only January....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom