• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 million PS4s sold-through as of 6th December 2016

Curufinwe

To be fair it's easy to bring up any thread about anything from a while back and make mostly logical posters look bad.

Consider last gen the 360 and PS3 were in an extremely tight race, finishing the gen only a few million apart, Wii dominated but faded. Prior to reveal it would not be illogical using the then current market trends to declare anyone a victor in the next, and if anything at that time declaring PS4 dominance wouldn't be super logical given the market trends at the time.

The ones that stand out as bad are the ones declaring Sony doomed and dropping out of the console market. Those ones are indeed hyperbole

The people who really need to take a look at their biases are the ones who were still predicting a tight race worldwide even after we knew the PS4 was more powerful and $100 cheaper.

The 360 is going to overtake it soon in the US, and worldwide it probably already has.

Xbone ain't gonna get near 80 million.
edit: i'm refering to the us part here!

no.
xbox one will again increase the lead over 360 this year.
next year is scorpio

xbox one falling behind xb360 on a ltd base won't happen before 2019. yearly sales could happen in 2018

Unknown?

no.
next year is scorpio, so who knows...

xbox one falling behind xb360 on a ltd base won't happen before 2018. yearly sales could happen in 2017
It already has! Notice how Microsoft PR doesn't claim it's ahead of the 360 in the same time? That should give you a hint.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
no.

xbox one falling behind xb360 on a ltd base won't happen before 2018. yearly sales could happen in 2017

Unless you are privy to MS internal tracking there is literally no way of knowing whether it is ahead or behind in WW sales.

ethomaz

Banned
no.

It is probably below 360 already.

I don't know what you are talking about.

360 year referent at 2017 was one of the best years in sales for 360... Xbone even with Scorpio won't reach that.

if you seriously think there is a lot of people on gaf that genuinely think knack is a masterpiece you need your sarcasm sensors checked lol

bioshock infinite is a decent game nothing more as far as i am concerned

i actually did see that post before i wrote my comment lol

shoulda let me dream, man

lol what a bullet point! thanks microsoft, you made paid online a thing.

Yeah...

Well, I never said it was a good thing :D

Though I would say I liked their approach with console online ecosystems. Having features streamlined and done on a system level (opposed to a game-by-game basis) is nice.

But I guess one could argue that Sony 1-up'd them this gen with unified share features and the like. Still, much of Sony's PSN 2.0 ecosystem is built off the back of XBL 2.0.

There is literally no way of knowing whether it is ahead or behind in WW sales.
that is why i talk about the us. we know the us sales.

360 sales
launch: 0.6m
year 1: 3.9m
year 2: 4.6m
year 3: 4.7m
year 4: 4.8m

xb1 sales
launch: 1.8m
year 1: 4.35m
year 2: 4.9m
year 3: 2.2m so far without nov + december

xb1 nees to sell 2.6m more to be up year over year.
last year they sold 2.65m

ethomaz

Banned
that is why i talk about the us. we know the us sales.

360 sales
launch: 0.6m
year 1: 3.9m
year 2: 4.6m
year 3: 4.7m
year 4: 4.8m

xb1 sales
launch: 1.8m
year 1: 4.35m
year 2: 4.9m
year 3: 2.2m so far without nov + december
28.5m 360 was shipped as of Dec 31, 2008

Can XB1 reach that this year???

XB1 is way ahead in US but looks it is way below outside.

no.
next year is scorpio

xbox one falling behind xb360 on a ltd base won't happen before 2019. yearly sales could happen in 2018

We have absolutely no idea how well the XBO is doing worldwide, though it's likely not that good. Marketwatch mentioned that hardware revenue was down by 26% in Q1 FY2017 compared to Q1 FY2016 even though Microsoft launched the XBOS.

The XBO is ahead of the 360 in the US, but worldwide, it's doing pretty bad.

I wonder how Microsoft will redefine MAUs now to avoid reporting number smaller than amount of PS4 shipped.

I don't know about that. They made paid online a thing. Hell, they made online gaming (on console) what we know today.

Well you could also say they were driving force for in game DLC due to that.

We have absolutely no idea how well the XBO is doing worldwide, though it's likely not that good. Marketwatch mentioned that hardware revenue was down by 26% in Q1 FY2017 compared to Q1 FY2016 even though Microsoft launched the XBOS.

The XBO is ahead of the 360 in the US, but worldwide, it's doing pretty bad.
the guy i quoted talked about us. i talked about us. why is everyone assuming i talk about ww here?

by the way we know how xb1 i doing in some markets. still up in the us, latin america. uk, france, germany, australia.

yes, despite doing very bad in mainland europe, the xb1 is still slightly up over 360 launch alinged.
why do i not talk about ww? the data is way to incomplete

the guy i quoted talked about us. i talked about us. why is everyone assuming i talk about ww here?

by the way we know how xb1 i doing in some markets. still up in the us, latin america. uk, france, germany, australia.

yes, despite doing very bad in mainland europe, the xb1 is still slightly up over 360 launch alinged.

The 360 is going to overtake it soon in the US, and worldwide it probably already has.

Xbone ain't gonna get near 80 million.

Learn to read. And you say the data is way too incomplete, but you proceed to assert that the XBO is still leading the 360 in Europe without any citations. Which one is it? You can't have it both ways.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This should help pile on some more.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...undle-249-99-december-11-through-december-24/

3166688-ps4deal.jpg

onQ123

no.
next year is scorpio

The last time we heard solid numbers I think Xbox One was at around 20 million & Xbox 360 hit 30 million 3.5 years after it launched so if that's the case we should be hearing about Xbox One hitting 30 million before May 2017

Learn to read. And you say the data is way too incomplete, but you proceed to assert that the XBO is still leading the 360 in Europe without any citations. Which one is it? You can't have it both ways.
learn to read yourself
he said "going to overtake soon in the us"
i said xbox one falling behind will not happen before 2019

so how the hell do you think i talk about the "already has overtaken" statement?
my answer would be "x360 hasn't already overtaken xb1"

your second interpretion of my answer is also way off and weird. i said up in france and germany. i did not say in europe. i just said despite doing bad in mainland europe, xb1 is still leading in germany and france, but the data is to incomplete to talk about ww

so learn to read please before you attack other people, thanks

learn to read yourself

so how the hell do you think i talk about the "already has overtaken" statement?

your second interpretion of my answer is also way off and weird. i said up in france and germany. i did not say in europe. i just said despite doing bad in mainland europe, xb1 is still leading in germany and france, but the data is to incomplete to talk about ww

I'm sorry, but just saying "no" is not specific enough. Same applies to "x360 hasn't already overtaken xb1". Overtaken where? You did not specify what argument you were refuting, so it's your own fault for not being clear enough. Tell me, where in this comment of yours indicated that you were talking about the US and not worldwide?

no.
next year is scorpio

Learn to read your own comments, too.

Also, you said mainland Europe. France and Germany are only part of it.

Elandyll

Banned
learn to read yourself

I'd say you could start by toning down the attitude, agressiveness and assertiveness of your own posts?

The og post you quoted was adressing numbers both in the US -and- WW. Without any specification yourself, it's not possible to know what you are refering to - in a thread where we are overall talking about WW numbers.

Stanng243

What are your sources for this?

learn to read yourself

You did say this :
My interpretation is that you're saying the Xbox one is slightly up over 360 launch in mainland Europe. That's how I read your statement, the same as 5Twist.
And if you're going to say things like the XB1 is above Germany and France, you should to have sources to back this up.

Rolf NB

no.
next year is scorpio

Assertion: if your numbers painted a positive picture, you would continue, not cease releasing your numbers.

I'm sorry, but just saying "no" is not specific enough. Same applies to "x360 hasn't already overtaken xb1". Overtaken where? You did not specify what argument you were refuting, so it's your own fault for not being clear enough. Tell me, where in this comment of yours indicated that you were talking about the US and not worldwide?

Learn to read your own comments, too.

"no" was not the only i said. it was just my opening statement. and my followups made it clear my answer was about the us part from that poster.

if you read my comment wrong, that is your problem. why not tell me where in my comment it indicates i talk about ww and not the us?
i was just your assumption.
and after i made it clear again you just attacked me.

so i rather would cut the conversation here. it is heavily offtopic

ethomaz

Banned
learn to read yourself

Using your own numbers XB1 needs to sell 2.5m in Nov + Dec to be tie a tie with 360 this year... anything below that 360 is catching like the other user said.

no was not the only i said. it was just my opening statement. and my followups made it clear my answer was about the us part from that poster.

i you read my comment wrong, that is your problem. why not tell me where in my comment it indicates i talk about ww and not the us?

There was no specification from your comment whatsoever. The person you replied to talked about both US and worldwide numbers. Calling you out on your lack of elaboration is not attacking. It's a valid criticism. Again, show me where in your comment did you specify US. I'm waiting.

no.
next year is scorpio

Stanng243

"no" was not the only i said. it was just my opening statement. and my followups made it clear my answer was about the us part from that poster.

if you read my comment wrong, that is your problem. why not tell me where in my comment it indicates i talk about ww and not the us?

Do you have any sources for the claims you've been making?

Using your own numbers XB1 needs to sell 2.5m in Nov + Dec to be tie a tie with 360 this year... anything below that 360 is catching like the other user said.
correct. if you think xbox one will be up YoY this holiday season, xbox one will be up the whole year
if you expect xboy one being down YoY this holiday season, xbox one will be down for the whole year and sell less than 360 for the year.
ltd xbox one will still have a lead no matter what. we will know more tomorrow

Do you have any sources for the claims you've been making?
sure. the last halfyear gfk report in july.
if i remember correctly xbox one reached 750k in germany 2 weeks earlier than 360. but better ask welfare_queen, he has the numbers and made that post...

There was no specification from your comment whatsoever. The person you replied to talked about both US and worldwide numbers. Calling you out on your lack of elaboration is not attacking. It's a valid criticism. Again, show me where in your comment did you specify US. I'm waiting.
can you stop that please?
hanspampel said:
i talked about us
and you replied with "learn to read" just read your post #518 it's right there
and now im done talking to ever again

Apt101

Not surprising. Just take a look at the libraries of the three consoles. Sony has a glut of everything, with loads of offerings neither Nintendo or Microsoft match. They have plenty of everything for everyone, including tech like VR and tiered offerings, while Microsoft and Nintendo struggle to cater to very specific, narrowing demographics.

onQ123

Nope, the last time we heard anything close to a solid global number was the "soon to ship 10million" back in November 2014.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/11/12/xbox-one-sales-on-the-rise/

But we did get this

Report: Roughly 18 million Xbox Ones are now active and online

& this

Report: Xbox One install base around 19 million

As part of its investor call after its quarterly earnings report today, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen revealed that the combined install base for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is over 55 million.

That number strongly implies that the install base for the Xbox One is around - or just over - 19 million units. We can deduce this number from the fact that Sony reported this month that it has sold nearly 36 million units of its PlayStation 4.

This news lends credence to a report we saw earlier that 18 million Xbox Ones were active and online, which was culled from the greater pool of Windows 10 activation numbers. The system's OS was moved to Windows 10 in November 2015.

Microsoft, for its part, has said it will no longer report install base numbers for its consoles.

It did, however, report other stats on its console ecosystem today, including Xbox Live user numbers and revenues.

As of September 30 last year -- the most recent numbers available -- Nintendo's install base for the Wii U had hit 10.73 million units.

Cess007

They've NEVER been in a position to dictate anything in the console space ever!

To be honest, this is a very dangerous position to any company to take. I'm sure Sony learned from this exact philosophy they had before the PS3 launch.

Yet, that thread will always be gold.

Wow at the number of people who thought the Wii U was going to dominate the market..

Getting flashbacks with all the Switch threads around here people claiming similar stuff. Making predictions with Nintendo hardware is harder that with Microsoft/Sony.

ethomaz

Banned
Weren't those estimates?
Yes and using two different datas... the estimate from EA was combined PS4 + XB1 sales and after that they removed PS4 announced numbers to reach the XB1 numbers.

No body the break for PS4 or XB1 by EA estimate.

PS. Or I'm remembering another EA estimate lol

Edit - No... I was right... EA estimated over 55m PS4 + XB1 and sites used this estimated together with Sony numbers to guess the XB1 number... EA estimate for PS4 could be bigger or lower than PS4 announce... so nobody knows XB1 with these claims.

can you stop that BS please?

and you replied with "learn to read" just read your post #518 it's right there
and now im done talking to ever again

Answer my question. Quoting a comment of yours after I pointed out at your lack of specificity does not help your case. Let us try this again. Show me in this comment where you mentioned the US. Explain to me how I can correctly interpret your comment when you did not say US or worldwide.

no.
next year is scorpio

Wiped89

Really bored of the Knack jokes now.

Great total. I wonder how many were 2nd purchasers ie people going from PS4 to PS4 Pro

ethomaz

Banned
Estimates are the best we're ever going to get for the Xbone unless someone leaks the official numbers or MS decides to do a final report years from now after the Xbone is dead and gone.
I still believe US sales are close to 60% of XB1 sales...

My estimate for end of October: ~22m XB1 sold WW.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry

What's your source for the France,Germany,Aus statement and the statement that XB1 is above 360 in Europe.

Top Bottom