• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell CEO (GAF's own Jackson): Wii U is "definitely more powerful than PS3 & 360"

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ehh I dunno, something like Zelda is different to something like Skyrim where the 'reality' of the world/what you can do in the world is clearly more important than the design of puzzles or levels. You know, the game part. Personally, I think thats worse than the game being only 8 hours long, but Im sure alot of people here are into Skyrim. There probably are exceptions to the rule, my point was just its not a given that More "power" equals better game. That was clearly a ridiculous claim

Lol no, i played both Skyrim and Zelda SS, and Skyrim have much more content and have a much bigger world. There is plenty of "HD" games who have the same length and content (or even more) than Zelda SS.

deviljho

Mario Galaxy on Wii vs. Mario Galaxy on Dolphin.

Let me hear your tortured justifications...

It's simple. Imagine you took a game like Mario Galaxy and had a version for each "next gen" console from now out to 20 years. Every iteration that improves upon the graphically quality will be less meaningful.

At some point, the game will be "good enough" for any set of people. Diminishing returns and all that.

Do you perceive one of those versions of Galaxy as 'better' or are they totally identical in your eyes?

In that case I wouldnt care which I played because to me content is king. Lets say the dolphin version had 10 more stars or something, then yea it would be better to me.

But lets also say that I didnt have access to the highest end dolphin, then to me, the wii version would be the best.

All I am saying is graphics arent the only factor in how people perceive which game is better.

It is a factor, it just isnt the only one

deviljho

What extra content, sounds interesting. I thought it was the same game with improved graphics. Anyway, back on topic:

Are you saying that the improved graphics don't matter?

Diminishing returns. There is a cutoff to which a person will say, the next iteration isn't necessary for enhancing the experience for that person.

I don't care if Mario Galaxy looks like it does on the Wii or if it looked like Avatar, personally.

What extra content, sounds interesting. I thought it was the same game with improved graphics. Anyway, back on topic:

Are you saying that the improved graphics don't matter?

Boss rush mode, they changed hero mode so not only does damage double but its also mirrored, wjich makes it ridiculously hard, they added a different more useful item ( since the original rumble item would of become useless).

And not sure if this is a "graphical" upgrade, but they redesigned alot of areas with just more stuff in them to make it cooler.......

Is Skyward Sword significantly 'larger' than Skyrim?

I'm having difficulty believing that.

Morrowind was.

Just uglier.

This is another point.

There comes a point where making sure each individual prop in the environment is of the same fidelity as those of importance becomes a hindrance. This often causes development hurdles over gamer expectations.

Skyrim is much smaller than Morrowind because it takes a much longer time to make those individual pieces for the environment.

Part of the reason I think asset quality is good enough as is.

Now just work on improving lighting, shadowing, precision of effects. Instead of worrying about 2056x2056 teeth or anything that excessive.

jaypah

You just don't click on them, it really isn't that hard.

Yes it is Cit, I know it's going to be a clusterfuck but I CAN'T HELP IT!!! like moths to a flame. Then I wind up hating everyone on both sides, type up a long winded response, realize it'll probably get me banned for being aggressive again and I just mutter to myself as I close the browser. Like clockwork.

Same time tomorrow?

Diminishing returns. There is a cutoff to which a person will say, the next iteration isn't necessary for enhancing the experience for that person.

I don't care if Mario Galaxy looks like it does on the Wii or if it looked like Avatar, personally.

If it did look like Avatar (say a WiiU remake), which version would you consider superior?

Arguing against technical proficiency is the wrong course of action.

Arguing that limitations to hardware power or development budgets are necessary is not.

Boss rush mode, they changed hero mode so not only does damage double but its also mirrored, wjich makes it ridiculously hard, they added a different more useful item ( since the original rumble item would of become useless).

And not sure if this is a "graphical" upgrade, but they redesigned alot of areas with just more stuff in them to make it cooler.......

Never noticed any of that, just noticed it looks alot better than the N64 version.

Definitively the Avatar version, without knowing anything more. Cos we all know graphics are the most important thing about video games, right gang?

For some genres they are...I would take an avatar version of Crysis any day of the week!! But mario is mario, the series was never about graphics or immersion....

deviljho

If it did look like Avatar (say a WiiU remake), which version would you consider superior?

A Wii U remake would not make it look like avatar. You are asking questions without providing realistic references.

If it took 20 years to bring a Nintendo console capable of making Mario Galaxy look like avatar, then it would not be worth it to me to wait around when I can play it on the Wii. Currently, on the Wii, it runs at 60fps and it's enough for a person to send Mario down a pipe.

Honestly, improving hardware to provide HD textures is one thing. But to improve it to create super realistic facial hair and water is not important to me, nor is it important to the average gamer not present on this forum. A bunch of people don't even hook their Xbox's up properly. You could say that better hardware can improve the AI, but the AI in computer games are not any better then PS360.

You keep trying to push this idea that more is better, than you don't realize that every iteration of more brings diminishing returns - returns that most people don't care about. If we could measure a 60 hour play through of a game in terms of "joy" and "happiness," improved hardware would not be as impactful as you think.

Definitively the Avatar version, without knowing anything more. Cos we all know graphics are the most important thing about video games, right gang?

I would rather have a 1080p, 60FPS HD Zelda Skyward Sword, yes. Is that even a question or are you being a smartass saying you'd rather play it on an SDTV in 480p?

Never noticed any of that, just noticed it looks alot better than the N64 version.

You see? there is more too it.

Dont get me wrong, graphical upgrades are cool. But if there are gameplay upgrades, thats how I can really tell, the "better" version

Example, the ps3 and vita versions of disgaea 3 have identical graphics more or less (maybe the ps3 is a little better)

Which version is better?

The vita version without any doubt, it just has double the content, and alot of improvements/additions to the core game ( features)

All else being equal, better graphics would be superior. Is that really so hard to understand?

If SMG played exactly the same on WiiU but got a graphical upgrade, it would be the superior version of the game.

GlamFM

Banned
Was it a big problem for the ps2 the xbox and gamecube were more powerful?

And how do we know when we havent seen? Will the ps4 and 360 have the exact same power? we dont know.

Alot of assumptions

Come on - really?

The difference between the GC, PS2 and the XBOX were minor.
Just as the 360 and the PS3 in this generation.

The Wii U and the next consoles from MS and Sony will have an entire generation between them.

Bisnic

Stop acting like an idiot, if you have the choice between the original Mario Galaxy in 480p with aliasing all over the place, and a remake with 4x AA, 1080p and better textures and both versions are played with the Wiimote, have the exact same maps and content...

Don't tell me that you will buy the original version, you're just lying.

Come on - really?

The Wii U and the next consoles from MS and Sony will have an entire generation between them.

how do you know that? You think they can afford that? I don't. I mean it didnt stop the wii from getting DQ X which is all I want to play.

If you think the difference between wii and ps3

will be just as big as wii u ps4

not sure what to say to you

BlackJace

Come on - really?

Because we totally know that.....

A Wii U remake would not make it look like avatar. You are asking questions without providing realistic references.

If it took 20 years to bring a Nintendo console capable of making Mario Galaxy look like avatar, then it would not be worth it to me to wait around when I can play it on the Wii. Currently, on the Wii, it runs at 60fps and it's enough for a person to send Mario down a pipe.

Honestly, improving hardware to provide HD textures is one thing. But to improve it to create super realistic facial hair and water is not important to me, nor is it important to the average gamer not present on this forum.

Most people don't hook their Xbox's up. You keep trying to push this idea that more is better, than you don't realize that every iteration of more brings diminishing returns - returns that most people don't care about.

If we could measure a 60 hour play through of a game in terms of "joy" and "happiness," improved hardware would not be as impactful as you think.

You completely missed the point.

The only idea I am pushing here is that "All else being equal, better graphics would be superior".

deviljho

Stop acting like an idiot, if you have the choice between the original Mario Galaxy in 480p with aliasing all over the place, and a remake with 4x AA, 1080p and better textures and both versions are played with the Wiimote, have the exact same maps and content...

It literally depends on the cost.

Which version is cheaper? Which version is more readily available? Which version plays better ( doesnt chug)?

I will say it again, graphics are just 1 piece.

jaypah

Not the most important but it's nice to have good graphics since I generally have to look at games to play them. As a huge Nintendo fan I'd LOVE a Mario title with graphics that could rival CG. damn, that would be awesome.

Having said that, I don't really worry as much anymore. As a long time fan I'd like to see their games showcased in the best possible way graphically but I also accept that Nintendo does whatever it wants. I'll once again own all 4 home platforms so I'll get my graphics fix elsewhere but a part of me will always wish it was Nintendo.

Wii U hardware is much better than current gen. Those games shown at E3 was all on unfinished hardware and dev kits. There are a lot of unannounced games that are being produce behind the scene as we speak.

deviljho

The only idea I am pushing here is that "All else being equal, better graphics would be superior".

wow. you win.

too bad for me, I live in reality and nothing is equal. you want a black/white answer about magic genies granting you a wish for Avatar style mario games. you win.

all else being equal, a hotter wife would be superior.

Yeah but the wii U has that controller, which lets say graphics are worse, could provide gameplay edges unforseen

so we dont know which versions of games will be the best anyway.

Seems like a silly argument

deviljho

Yeah but the wii U has that controller, which lets say graphics are worse, could provide gameplay edges unforseen

so we dont know which versions of games will be the best anyway.

Seems like a silly argument

Dude, he has a magic genie that grants him any game in any resolution with any hardware he desires. he always picks the best resolution and hardware because he is smart.

kfpkiller

Its sad that you think thats true. More "power" as you call it, equals more resources/time etc, which means these games end generally end up being linear, shorter and more cinematic experiences. As I mentioned before, you dont ever see a game on the scale, length and size of Skyward Sword with "ps3 graphics". It would be 8 hours long.
So zelda wii u will either look like shit or be a 8 hour game?
Well time to say goodbye to that tech demo :/

jaypah

wow. you win.

too bad for me, I live in reality and nothing is equal. you want a black/white answer about magic genies granting you a wish for Avatar style mario games. you win.

all else being equal, a hotter wife would be superior.

Yeah, all things being equal, something better is better. As humans that's kind of how our brain works. i don't see why that's a bad thing.

Dits

An ATi 6450 a £40 GPU is more powerful than the PS3 and 360 - if the WiiU doesn't have better graphics capabilities than the 2 I shudder to think what is inside the thing

GlamFM

Banned
There really is no point in posting in a thread where almost everybody has a manga avatar.

I should have known better...

deviljho

Are you trying be obtuse here?

Bob-Gunton.jpg

Bisnic

Which version is cheaper? Which version is more readily available? Which version plays better ( doesnt chug)?

I will say it again, graphics are just 1 piece.

When, and if, a remake is released, you can be sure that the original game won't be as readily available as the remake with dozens of copies shining in the entrance of your local video game store. And when you have a big HDTV, you do not want to play a game with aliasing and 480p when you have the option to play the same thing in higher resolution and AA, even if you have to pay a little more for it.

Anyway, i dont expect a Mario Galaxy remake to be made on Wii U, but maybe on its successor, so who knows what kind of other improvements is going to be made until then (whether its with the HDTVs or the new console itself) to make the original version even more obsolete on a new 2018 TV and console.

Top Bottom