• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5th Cell CEO (GAF's own Jackson): Wii U is "definitely more powerful than PS3 & 360"

Bob-Gunton.jpg

I was thinking of the Shawshank Redemption when I used the term...LOL.

Dude, he has a magic genie that grants him any game in any resolution with any hardware he desires. he always picks the best resolution and hardware because he is smart.

Lol no need to be mean, we are friends here

When, and if, a remake is released, you can be sure that the original game won't be as readily available as the remake with dozens of copies shining in the entrance of your local video game store. And when you have a big HDTV, you do not want to play a game with aliasing and 480p when you have the option to play the same thing in higher resolution and AA, even if you have to pay a little more for it.

Anyway, i dont expect a Mario Galaxy remake to be made on Wii U, but maybe on its successor, so who knows what kind of other improvements is going to be made until then (whether its with the HDTVs or the new console itself) to make the original version even more obsolete on a new 2018 TV and console.

That isnt always the case, alot of times the original version is still the easier one to find, and cheaper. Sometimes not, the point is we cant make sweeping generalizations, it isnt fair

NBtoaster

Morrowind was.

Just uglier.

This is another point.

There comes a point where making sure each individual prop in the environment is of the same fidelity as those of importance becomes a hindrance. This often causes development hurdles over gamer expectations.

Skyrim is much smaller than Morrowind because it takes a much longer time to make those individual pieces for the environment.

Part of the reason I think asset quality is good enough as is.

Now just work on improving lighting, shadowing, precision of effects. Instead of worrying about 2056x2056 teeth or anything that excessive.

Morrowind is much smaller than Skyrim, and has a lot less detail and interactivity.

Consider that most studios working in HD have many more employess and bigger budgets than those who worked in SD.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That isnt always the case, alot of times the original version is still the easier one to find, and cheaper. Sometimes not, the point is we cant make sweeping generalizations, it isnt fair

My point is, if you have the choice and the money, and you have to choose between 2 versions of the same game, you'll get the one that looks better. Everyone is like that. Just like people who buy a Bluray version of a movie rather than the DVD one.

Mondriaan

My point is, if you have the choice and the money, and you have to choose between 2 versions of the same game, you'll get the one that looks better. Everyone is like that. Just like people who buy a Bluray version of a movie rather than the DVD one.
That choice becomes a little more complicated if there's a substantial online component (and if you have online friends who are also getting the same game).

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ok I read the OP, it's a statement that is reasonably in line with what we thought about Wii U's capabilities. How does that information result in this thread?

Orayn

Ok I read the OP, it's a statement that is reasonably in line with what we thought about Wii U's capabilities. How does that information result in this thread?

Positive and negative news about the WiiU each attract a certain amount of reactionary posting from different groups of people, regardless of credibility.

I will play the one thats cheaper, easier to find thats just me, if all else is equal ( lets say galaxy 2 is remade for wii u, even if it looks better, if the wii version is 10 bucks vs 50-60 bucks.......well that makes things harder)

If all else is not equal then its all about the content

Graphics do play a role in which one I choose but it isnt some rule

I definitely get where your coming from though

kingkaiser

Its sad that you think thats true. More "power" as you call it, equals more resources/time etc, which means these games end generally end up being linear, shorter and more cinematic experiences. As I mentioned before, you dont ever see a game on the scale, length and size of Skyward Sword with "ps3 graphics". It would be 8 hours long.

It is so funny, that of all things you bring Skyward Sword to this comparison. I mean honestly, the most dumped down Zelda game in history? The game that contains only five regions (skyloft, sealed grounds, obligatory fire, forest and desert regions) which you have to visit over, and over again? The game that artificially extends the playtime with fetch quests? Sorry dude, but every second hd-game of this generation has more variety in locations during the first 3 hours than Skyward Sword throughout the complete playthrough.

If you have named the Mario Galaxy games, i could see were you are coming from (despite being still silly, when compare games like Nuts and Bolts and the Ratchet & Clank games) but Skyward Swords....hahahahahahahahahaha

pvpness

There's something I don't understand about the position of, "game x on Wii was awesome, but would have been more awesome on ps3/360 because of added power." I feel like this would be a bleak position to approach from, regardless of platform or how true it is.

I mean, anybody that thinks this kinda thing, when you throw in a ps3/360 game do you say to yourself, "this game is awesome, but would be more awesome on the pc" or, "this game is awesome on pc, but would be even more awesome on a pc that comes out next year?" Honest question. Seems so painfully obvious that it could go unsaid. Games could always be on stronger hardware, so I feel like owners of this perspective constantly reach out for something they want but never actually get it. If you think like this, are you constantly disappointed in everything?

It seems like torture to me to think in this manner. I see it all time in regards to the Wii, but rarely in regards to the HD twins and never in regard to PC games which leads me to think it's more about singling out Nintendo for whatever reason. Maybe that's not the case and people actually do think it across the board. Just seems self defeating.

This kinda fits in with what I'm talking about too. You're right, people will generally choose the better looking version of a game (PS3/360), but in my experience they often don't even consider the best looking version of a game (PC). It's weird to me.

It is so funny, that of all things you bring Skyward Sword to this comparison. I mean honestly, the most dumped down Zelda game in history? The game that contains only five regions (skyloft, sealed grounds, obligatory fire, forest and desert regions) which you have to visit over, and over again? The game that artificially extends the playtime with fetch quests? Sorry dude, but every second hd-game of this generation has more variety in locations during the first 3 hours than Skyward Sword throughout the complete playthrough.

If you have named the Mario Galaxy games, i could see were you are coming from (despite being still silly, when compare games like Nuts and Bolts and the Ratchet & Clank games) but Skyward Swords....hahahahahahahahahaha

Also, Skyward Sword took five years to release from Twilight Princess.

Wasn't the Wii a little more powerful than GameCube? Nintendo is once again focusing on new controller features using hardware of current gen for the next gen, just like they did with the Wii after the GameCube, it's not hard to see.

Wasn't the Wii a little more powerful than GameCube? Nintendo is once again focusing on new controller features using hardware of current gen for the next gen, just like they did with the Wii after the GameCube, it's not hard to see.

A) it was slightly more capable

B) Its not the same situation, not even close, to the same

I mean, anybody that thinks this kinda thing, when you throw in a ps3/360 game do you say to yourself, "this game is awesome, but would be more awesome on the pc"

Yes, I double dipped on LA Noire and probably will on Mafia II because I think those games would look much better on PC.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I feel like this is non news. Why do devs need to go out on a limb to even say this. I think we all know what to expect. I'm sure there will be showpieces but nothing mindblowingly better than what 360/PS3 offer.

I guess it makes for good thread fodder though but he's right but not like "it's SOOO MUCH MORE POWERFUL" right. Not at least from what I've seen.

SmokyDave

I mean, anybody that thinks this kinda thing, when you throw in a ps3/360 game do you say to yourself, "this game is awesome, but would be more awesome on the pc"

Every single time I launch Forza or Gran Turismo, I think exactly this.

The point you're missing though, is that people have different expectations for PCs and consoles. Now people have different expectations of PCs, consoles and Nintendo consoles.

You spoiler!

The point you're missing though, is that people have different expectations for PCs and consoles. Now people have different expectations of PCs, consoles and Nintendo consoles.
And none of this is wrong.

This is the part that irritates me about all of it.

Some don't need to harp, we know. Others need to let go of the dream. Because it's not Nintendo's. As powerful as they need and can fit into a small casing.

You'll still get great games, but at all times those games could be "better". This isn't a detraction from any game. They could just be a nebulous "better".

JoeInky

If you have named the Mario Galaxy games, i could see were you are coming from (despite being still silly, when compare games like Nuts and Bolts and the Ratchet & Clank games)

Come on now, don't try and act like that abomination is anywhere near as good as the galaxy games.

pvpness

Yes, I double dipped on LA Noire and probably will on Mafia II because I think those games would look much better on PC.

Yeah, and I end up doing that too. What I mean is, when you get the best looking version for pc (immediately or eventually) are you still bummed because you know that it could look even better on future hardware?

Which is confusing to me. I mean, why snub a Wii version of a game for being inferior, but then turn around and pick up the PS3/360 counter-part when they too are in fact, inferior?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Unquestionable? If Skyward Sword looked like Uncharted I would bet you it would also be the length of Uncharted, not the 30 + hour epic it was. You are clearly being absurd yourself buddy

Ah yes, games can only look good if they sacrifice length. You can't render a world like Skyrim and expect a long game.

Got pretty sick of nearly everyone mocking the "Wii U graphics should be incredible" post. Even if you believe that Wii U only has enough horsepower to reproduce current-gen graphics, are you saying that the Xbox 360 and PS3 games cannot look "incredible?" I mean, seriously, quit being a bunch of jerks, the guy's trying to make a positive comment and look on the bright side in this thread of mockery and all you can do is ridicule. Grow up, already.

Why do people really give a shit if its more powerful or not? Cant you just enjoy the games that are released and leave it at that? No, of course you cant - its the ever stupid, negative, fanboy driven internet
Don't be silly. I grew up with Nintendo games and some(most tbh) of my best video game memories are on Nintendo consoles, but I already got more than a decade from the last SD generation(GC, Wii, PS2, Xbox) thanks to the Wii. I've also owned an HD console(PS3 and 360) for nearly seven years now. I don't want to continue playing with old tech just because Nintendo keeps coming up with pricey gimmicks that they abandon without exploring fully(Wii mote was amazing and they clearly moved on to the Wii U gamepad which is a far bigger cost for them).

I'd rather have all my machines based on technology that doesn't feel(emphasis on feel, Wii U is clearly more advanced) seven years old. I know(or believe, I guess) the Wii U is packing much more under the hood than Nintendo lets on(thanks WUST), but that remains to be seen and Nintendo is ridiculously insular when it comes to communicating basic specifications to slightly skeptical customers like myself.

Nintendo is honestly making this worse than it has to be.

Got pretty sick of nearly everyone mocking the "Wii U graphics should be incredible" post. Even if you believe that Wii U only has enough horsepower to reproduce current-gen graphics, are you saying that the Xbox 360 and PS3 games cannot look "incredible?" I mean, seriously, quit being a bunch of jerks, the guy's trying to make a positive comment and look on the bright side in this thread of mockery and all you can do is ridicule. Grow up, already.

Budget, time, and artistic sense will always trump more power.

Get them together and you see incredible works though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Which is confusing to me. I mean, why snub a Wii version of a game for being inferior, but then turn around and pick up the PS3/360 counter-part when they too are in fact, inferior?

Because not everyone wants to bother playing on PCs? And the difference between a Wii game versus PS3/360 is far larger than a PC game vs PS3/360.

Caelus

Also, Skyward Sword took five years to release from Twilight Princess.

Most of which was used to create the controls, the fluidity of which I haven't seen in any other game, even if the pacing of the game is flawed.

And yeah, they worked perfectly fine with me. lol

Yeah, and I end up doing that too. What I mean is, when you get the best looking version for pc (immediately or eventually) are you still bummed because you know that it could look even better on future hardware?

Sure, I am satisfied once I am running a game on PC at the highest settings but that situation never applies to the Wii and I suspect it won't apply to the WiiU (except for PS360 ports possibly but even those will probably not be superior to PC).

In other words, every Wii game could look better on any other modern hardware. Mario Galaxy at 720p would be better than Mario Galaxy at 480p.

Most of which was used to create the controls, the fluidity of which I haven't seen in any other game, even if the pacing of the game is flawed.

And yeah, they worked perfectly fine with me. lol

I remember seeing something on the Nintendo Channel about how Skyward Sword wasn't going to use Motion Plus until the last year of development.

Exactly. So good games are good games but good games on better hardware are better.

But I already know it would be better, I played it again on 3DS.

This is not the case in all instances. In my opinion, good games will look better on advanced hardware. They will not usually play better.

Example 1) Zelda and Zelda II on NES. They look very good in 480p on Virtual Console or Emulated on a PC, but they play better on their native hardware. Also Mike Tyson's Punchout.

Example 2) Ocarina of Time for N64 and Ocarina of Time 3DS. Looks better on 3DS, plays better on N64

Example 3) Mega Man Anniversery collection on GCN. Some of those games feel broken on the newer hardware because they are not suited for the controller.

Example 4) Final fantasy 1 and 2, the rerelease on PS1 of the original first two NES games
They looked better, but they were broken because of excessive menu load times.

Caelus

I remember seeing something on the Nintendo Channel about how Skyward Sword wasn't going to use Motion Plus until the last year of development.

The Wii still has motion controls besides motion plus, thank god they used that. I stand corrected, anyway.

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but I wish they didn't move on with the Gamepad... I wish they would still keep the Wiimote+nunchuk and upgrade it, now developers would want to use the Gamepad probably because it's easier to stick a map on there, or just ignore it and use the pro controller.

pvpness

Because not everyone wants to bother playing on PCs? And the difference between a Wii game versus PS3/360 is far larger than a PC game vs PS3/360.

Yeah, and I get that too. I just think it's a bit pointless to never really be content with anything you get. Unless of course, this is about singling out Nintendo, in which case it's a lot easier to understand. This is hard to articulate. What's the point of pointing out the Wii version of Blops is inferior when someone has selected it over the ps3/360, but not point out that the ps3/360 version is inferior when someone selects that over the pc version? And more importantly, are the people with this attitude that are selecting the pc version then needing reminding that hardware that's yet to be will make their version inferior as well? Seems never ending.

Also, I think that saying the gap between a Wii and the twins is less than the gap between the twins and a PC is arguable at least. My pc is beast, my ps3/360 hardly ever hit 720p.

Bisnic

This is not the case in all instances. In my opinion, good games will look better on advanced hardware. They will not usually play better.

Example 1) Zelda and Zelda II on NES. They look very good in 480p on Virtual Console or Emulated on a PC, but they play better on their native hardware. Also Mike Tyson's Punchout.

Example 2) Ocarina of Time for N64 and Ocarina of Time 3DS. Looks better on 3DS, plays better on N64

Example 3) Mega Man Anniversery collection on GCN. Some of those games feel broken on the newer hardware because they are not suited for the controller.

Example 4) Final fantasy 1 and 2, the rerelease on PS1 of the original first two NES games
They looked better, but they were broken because of excessive menu load times.

Not really true... having instant access to the menus, on top of faster aiming with the gyro included in the 3DS makes this version plays much better than the N64 version. Also better than 15-20 FPS. And lets not mention what they did with the Iron Boots to make the Water Temple less of a pain in the ass.

Caelus

What? You don't explain this... do you mean using the NES controller? Can't you just find an adapter, or just use a better controller? By play better, do you just mean the feel of sitting in front of the NES and TV?

Yeah, and I get that too. I just think it's a bit pointless to never really be content with anything you get. Unless of course, this is about singling out Nintendo, in which case it's a lot easier to understand. This is hard to articulate. What's the point of pointing out the Wii version of Blops is inferior when someone has selected it over the ps3/360, but not point out that the ps3/360 version is inferior when someone selects that over the pc version? And more importantly, are the people with this attitude that are selecting the pc version then needing reminding that hardware that's yet to be will make their version inferior as well? Seems never ending.

Also, I think that saying the gap between a Wii and the twins is less than the gap between the twins and a PC is arguable at least. My pc is beast, my ps3/360 hardly ever hit 720p.

The Wii is so far below the PS360 that it makes it hard to take any game on the Wii seriously if you have one of the other 2 consoles. The gap between PS360 and PC is not as great.

Remember how the PS2 and Gamecube were comparable, well the Wii and PS3 aren't even close to comparable.

pvpness

Sure, I am satisfied once I am running a game on PC at the highest settings but that situation never applies to the Wii and I suspect it won't apply to the WiiU (except for PS360 ports possibly but even those will probably not be superior to PC).

In other words, every Wii game could look better on any other modern hardware. Mario Galaxy at 720p would be better than Mario Galaxy at 480p.

Yep, I agree. Also, every ps3/360 could look better on modern hardware. Halo4 at 1080p with all the features of a modern GPU would look better than Halo4 at 620p (or whatever it runs at). Also, Fortnight would look better on future hardware from 2015 onward.

Where does it end?

The Wii is so far below the PS360 that it makes it hard to take any game on the Wii seriously if you have one of the other 2 consoles. The gap between PS360 and PC is not as great.

Remember how the PS2 and Gamecube were comparable, well the Wii and PS3 aren't even close to comparable.

And like I said earlier, I think that's at least arguable. My PC makes my 360/PS3 look like a fucking joke and has for a couple years now. That doesn't mean that I don't take the games for those systems seriously (whatever that means) suddenly because of that. But I don't feel like that, you do. I'm trying to find out why there's a weird disconnect for you and people that think along the same lines. Why do you think the PS360 are at all comparable to modern PC gear?

What? You don't explain this... do you mean using the NES controller? Can't you just find an adapter, or just use a better controller.

Yes I have an NES controller adapter that plugs into the GCN port. It cost me thirty bucks to get it over the internet. A costly pain in the ass. And that option is not available for later Wii purchasers.

And what do you mean by use a better controller? What better controller for those games is there than the NES controller?

Bisnic

Yes I have an NES controller adapter that plugs into the GCN port. It cost me thirty bucks to get it over the internet. A costly pain in the ass. And that option is not available for later Wii purchasers.

And what do you mean by use a better controller? What better controller for those games is there than the NES controller?

How exactly is the NES controller better? It's an uncomfortable little block. Anything is better than that and have the required 2 buttons needed to play any NES game.

Not really true... having instant access to the menus, on top of faster aiming with the gyro included in the 3DS makes this version plays much better than the N64 version. Also better than 15-20 FPS. And lets not mention what they did with the Iron Boots to make the Water Temple less of a pain in the ass.

It is my opinion so it is not a true/false scenario. Some people like going into menus, believe it or not. And I tryed aiming with the gyros. I don't like moving my 3DS at all because that throws off the 3D.

And with all of the touchscreen control options I can never seem to settle on just one perfect control method.

I find the controls on N64 a litlle bit smoother overall.

JoeInky

I wouldn't say that, I own a Wii, 360 and a gaming PC and I'm fine with all of them, I still even get my N64 out now and then to play some F-Zero or Majora's Mask.

If anything the one I find hardest to take seriously is the 360, I only have 3 games on it, none are exclusive, one has been announced for PC and the only reason I bought the thing was because I wanted to play MK9 with a friend, and I had to pay just to play that online - and I live in the UK so xbox live is not worth the money at all.

How exactly is the NES controller better? It's an uncomfortable little block with 2 buttons. Anything is better than that and have the required 2 buttons needed to play any NES game.

I have years of muscle memory built into it. My hands are the right size for it, and I don't like the buttons and D-pad on the Wii remote.

Yep, I agree. Also, every ps3/360 could look better on modern hardware. Halo4 at 1080p with all the features of a modern GPU would look better than Halo4 at 620p (or whatever it runs at). Also, Fortnight would look better on future hardware from 2015 onward.
Where does it end?

And like I said earlier, I think that's at least arguable. My PC makes my 360/PS3 look like a fucking joke and has for a couple years now. That doesn't mean that I don't take the games for those systems seriously (whatever that means) suddenly because of that.

I really don't know what else to say.

Let me try something else. When you play your PS3 on the same TV as the Wii, does the Wii not look really bad in comparison?

I dont care what nobody says super mario galaxy 2 looks better than some xbox 360 ps3 games dolphin or not, fact! Nintendo makes good looking games and gives not 3, not 2 and not 1 but zero fucks about power! Some people act like Nintendo cant figure out the power equation or something. They dont care.

pvpness

I really don't know what else to say.

Let me try something else. When you play your PS3 on the same TV as the Wii, does the Wii not look really bad in comparison?

Oh yeah, definitely. It's the exact same when I play my PC on my TV (which doesn't even give me the full display capabilities that my PC allows) compared to my PS3. You see what I'm saying? If I thought like you, I wouldn't buy any games, because all games would look better tomorrow and tomorrow never actually comes. That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around. Why are you not cool with the Wii, an inferior platform, but you are cool with the PS360, which are also inferior platforms?

I wouldn't say that, I own a Wii, 360 and a gaming PC and I'm fine with all of them, I still even get my N64 out now and then to play some F-Zero or Majora's Mask.

If anything the one I find hardest to take seriously is the 360, I only have 3 games on it, none are exclusive, one has been announced for PC and the only reason I bought the thing was because I wanted to play MK9 with a friend, and I had to pay just to play that online - and I live in the UK so xbox live is not worth the money at all.
I play more VC games on my Wii than I do Wii games and I wouldn't mind pulling out the SNES if I got the urge to play Secret of Evermore. Square Enix needs to put that out somewhere, Wii VC, 3DS VC, PSP, PS3, anywhere would be fine.

I don't expect my SNES or VC games to look like current gen games. I do expect Wii games to look like current gen games and they don't.

Oh yeah, definitely. It's the exact same when I play my PC on my TV (which doesn't even give me the full display capabilities that my PC allows) compared to my PS3. You see what I'm saying? If I thought like you, I wouldn't buy any games, because all games would look better tomorrow and tomorrow never actually comes. That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around. Why are you not cool with the Wii, an inferior platform, but you are cool with the PS360, which are also inferior platforms?

The best answer is, I built my PC myself and I have high expectations. I don't expect consoles to perform as well as my PC but I do expect consoles to perform comparably to each other in the same generation.

I dont care what nobody says super mario galaxy 2 looks better than some xbox 360 ps3 games dolphin or not, fact! Nintendo makes good looking games and gives not 3, not 2 and not 1 but zero fucks about power! Some people act like Nintendo cant figure out the power equation or something. They dont care.

Which is why I said budget, time, and artistic sense trump all.

JoeInky

I don't expect my SNES or VC games to look like current gen games. I do expect Wii games to look like current gen games and they don't.

I just don't see why it's such a big deal.

The one time it's happened to me was coming off Dark Souls and playing Pandora's Tower and the graphics were noticeably worse because they're both going for some sort of realism, but that was only a problem for about ten minutes.

I've been playing Dead Space on my PC, with MK9 on my 360 and DKCR on my Wii during the past week and I haven't really cared enough to notice the graphical disparity.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I can't believe people are arguing in favor of less power. It's sad that people have to resort to that to defend Nintendo.

I think for some nothing matters until Nintendo says it does. If Miyamoto came out tomorrow and said dual analog circle pads were crucial to the future of 3DS, you can bet the ones who were arguing it wasn't needed would do a 180.

Top Bottom