• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 worst games ever created by franchised games (cracked.com)

Mega Man Soccer is good. It's sort of the ancestor to Mario Strikers on the GCN (which I personally love).

Anyone REALLY played the Zelda CD-i games? They are always bashed on the basis of a couple screenshots, but I have yet to hear someone who has experienced the games first hand...

Mileena

Banned
Ridley327 said:
I noticed that they didn't have any Sonic games on here.

Also, even though Mega Man Soccer is a genuinely unfinished game, it's still not nearly as foul as X7.
needs more Sonic 2006 amirite?

This list is more of a "worst spinoffs" than worst sequels. It's like a poorly named topic title on NeoGAF.

Anyone REALLY played the Zelda CD-i games? They are always bashed on the basis of a couple screenshots, but I have yet to hear someone who has experienced the games first hand...
From what I have heard about the CDI Zelda games (the side scrolling ones), the games suffer from huge hit detection and control problems, the kind that would ruin even an otherwise good game for most people.

AVGN played the CDI games at one point.

I watched YouTube videos of the Zelda's Adventure game (top down digitized actors), and it doesn't appear as bad in comparison.

aaaaaa

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Chronicles
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight

But yeah, even though it's agreeable slightly, it's definitely listing games that it heard were bad almost. Pac-Man 2 wasn't that bad, and Mega Man Soccer was just average. Mario is Missing! was actually decent for its intention. If I had to make a list, I'd figure it'd be (no order)...

Bomberman: Act Zero
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
Final Fight: Streetwise
Street Fighter: The Movie Game
The Legend of Zelda CD-i
Tony Hawk Ride

Ridley327

corkscrewblow said:
needs more Sonic 2006 amirite?

The answer to this right after this loading screen!

loading.gif

Gomu Gomu

Canadian Psycho said:
You should really watch AVGN's take on them. Those games deserve to be on that list without questions asked.

Gomu Gomu said:
You should really watch AVGN's take on them. Those games deserve to be on that list without questions asked.

Actually, Zelda's Adventure is a much better game than the first two. The first two, the sidescrollers, yeah, they belong on the list no question. But Zelda's Adventure... no, not really. Apart from the several second long loading times between screens, most reviews agree that it's not actually that bad...

A lot more people played the sidescrollers though, and that's definitely where most of the 'CDi Zelda is awful' reputation came from. Zelda's Adventure was one of the last CDi games released in the US (in late '94; I know the CDi lasted years longer in Europe, but here that was not the case), and it's a quite rare game, so not many people actually played it. See this video review for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MHy7OD4r1I and note that if you watch the other parts of the series, he HATED the two sidescrollers and thought they were some of the worst games he had ever played. Yet he ended up liking Zelda's Adventure.

Anyway, Pac-Man 2 and Mega Man Soccer are also pretty bad choices. Sure, some people dislike Pac-Man 2, but plenty of people liked it too. It's a fine game for what genre it is. And Mega Man Soccer was a perfectly decent soccer game. Bashing games just because they're in a different genre from past games in the franchise isn't right if they're good games in their genre, I think. I mean, if they were canceling the sidescroller Mega Man series and replacing it with only sports games or something then complain, but one spinoff soccer game or a Pac-Man adventure... why not?

And yeah, stuff like Sonic 360 and Sonic the Hedgehog GBA absolutely should have been on that list...

Yeah, Mario is Missing was lots of fun. I really don't understand the hate for that game. Edutainment really peaked in the 90s with Number Munchers, Where In the World Is Carmen Sandiego, and the various Tycoon games. Mario Is Missing was right up there with the best of them.

Red Scarlet

I liked SF The Movie..it was the only home version of a SF with supers for awhile I think. It was like the 'I will settle' of Super Turbo for me.

Bah. Clicked on the link hoping to see Sean Baby as the author, see Jean Claude and my hope is magnified.. only to read Ben somethinganother. Thread fails :/

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
jufonuk said:
#6. Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game (1995)
#5. Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (1994)
#4. Mega Man Soccer (1994)
#3. Donkey Jr. Math (1985)
#2. Mario is Missing! (1992)
#1.The Legend of Zelda Phillips CD-i series (1993-1994)

Cracked usually makes good lists but I actually really liked Mario is Missing (at the time), the third Legend of Zelda CD-i game (the top down one), and Mega Man Soccer. I loved Pac-Man 2 though. That game was super duper. I never played Street Fighter: The Movie The Game though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I frequently see Mega Man Soccer on list like this and I don't know why. The title was a fun experience, and certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the Zelda CD-i titles and Mario is Missing.

Baker

Banned
hikarutilmitt said:
Castlevania Adventure? (the gb one, not the Wii one)
What was wrong with that game? Granted I haven't played it since it came out, but I had no problem with it in my pre-pubescent age.

Slavik81

What's wrong with Mario is Missing? For a children's educational game, it's decent.

Sure, it's no Super Mario World, but I have a hard time it's one of the 6 worst franchise games ever.

Baker said:
What was wrong with that game? Granted I haven't played it since it came out, but I had no problem with it in my pre-pubescent age.
I haven't played it too much, but from an old Castlevania 64 guide book, it said that it was generally known to be really slow and choppy. After playing it, it was indeed slow, but it worked with the small screen for the most part. Some frame rate problems, though...

It has good music, though, like practically all 8 bit Konami games.

Crisis

Banned
Mega Man Soccer is a good game. It's not the best I've ever played and I don't pine for it to be remade or re-released or anything. But it's a good game.

Hey man i paid a lot of money for mega man soccer and dont regret it at all. God a PSN/Live version with more stages/characters with online play would be GODLY!

Starbeh

Neo Member
Canadian Psycho said:

I own them. It's been years since i last tortured myself with them, and i've probably repressed most of the experience. They are as bad as (if not worse) everyone says.
Just do like Nintendo and pretend they don't exist.

Edit: To clarify i'm talking about the sidescrollers.

Oneself

Where is that Sub-Zero "sidescroller" game??

And the PSone CONTRA games???

BTW, the arcade version of Street Fighter the movie game isn't that bad, in fact it was quite entertaining back in the days (digitized graphics were "in" and after all; it's SF with plenty of juggling..)... PSone & Saturn ports were HORRIBLE though, totally different and completely fucked thanks to Acclaim!!

Bii

ratcliffja said:
Yeah, Mario is Missing was lots of fun. I really don't understand the hate for that game. Edutainment really peaked in the 90s with Number Munchers, Where In the World Is Carmen Sandiego, and the various Tycoon games. Mario Is Missing was right up there with the best of them.

I agree. Granted, I haven't played the game in over a decade but from what I remember, it was pretty fun. The same goes for DK Jr. Math. I last played it when it was available on Animal Crossing (2002 was it?) and had a grand time with it even when given how simple the game really is.

Hopdaddy

Neo Member
Bii said:
I agree. Granted, I haven't played the game in over a decade but from what I remember, it was pretty fun. The same goes for DK Jr. Math. I last played it when it was available on Animal Crossing (2002 was it?) and had a grand time with it even when given how simple the game really is.

I thought the same, but it could just be my nostalgia goggles...
I remember renting it twice, and some question about what color the Golden Gate bridge was...

I think I might play it again.

Top Bottom