• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

653,000+ DS sold last week in US

Redd

Taichu said:
:lol :lol :lol

Remember when this thing was thought to be dead on arrival? :lol

Yeah I remember. Bought the psp first because I thought DS was going to get raped by the psp. Boy was I wrong, great news that means more support for the ds.:D

AniHawk

Taichu said:
:lol :lol :lol

Remember when this thing was thought to be dead on arrival? :lol

Yep. The only reason I bought my first DS was because it was $35 for the system and SM64 DS (both sealed), and I thought I could make a lot of money off of shortages. Then December 20 rolled around and my sister convinced me to open it (she wanted to play it more than I did). About two days later, the price spiked above the $200 level. Meh.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Course they did, new Gold/Pink bundle for Christmas?

+1 Pink here (my third DS purchase?)... I was out in the cold 5am Nebraska weather to find the most coveted of gifts.

Grecco

Gigglepoo said:
If you could hear how I said "No..." in my mind (like Norm MacDonald in Dirty Work), you would have laughed.

Heh. Had you awnsered otherwise i would have posted the 3 PSPs 1 DS Gif everybody loved back in the day.

-Rogue5-

That's insanity. Pure insanity.

If the Wii is selling that well worldwide, I don't know how anyone can accuse them of artificially creating demand.

corez

Haha, Sony have to post that % sales increases. Looks like it has stir some hornet's nest at Ninty's HQ.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Bob Saget.

November NPD will be ragnarok. Many will perish and those that survive will forever be haunted by its memory.

oo Kosma oo said:
Who?

You do win though :( This was my only chance at being hardcore Nintendo.

He is the voice actor for Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. I have an old Nintendo power with an interview of him :D. They gave that Godzilla game a near perfect score in that issue...it was back when they used the 5 star system.

botticus

I guess that included my gold DS upgrade.

Here I was thinking the Wii would stay above the DS this month, but nope! Didn't expect to predict both Nintendo systems over 1 million.

ethelred

God damn. That is unprecedented.

Zelda is going to be fucking huge over the holidays. It was tracking well ahead of Minish Cap for its first two months, but it's just going to explode in November and December. Hopefully FF12 and DQ do fairly well, too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think this just shows what happens when you can sell systems to outside of the traditional games market. I've seen old people buying DS's and Brain Training at my local supermarket. Crossover appeal sure as hell beats our meagre thumb-twiddling gamer-community.

Here in the UK they even have Fern and Phil advertising it. Big posters and everything.
Alpha mums

AniHawk

John Dunbar said:
Didn't DS sell like 50,000 a month at one point in the US? A beautiful turnabout.

I think it was sometime around June 2005 or something. Nintendo wasn't allowing numbers for a looooong time, even bundling the GBA and DS hardware numbers together. Heh. Almost forgot about that.

John Dunbar said:
Didn't DS sell like 50,000 a month at one point in the US? A beautiful turnabout.
Yeah, in 2005 it dipped below 100K a few months. PSP had nearly caught up to its total, but once DS dropped down to $130 they sold pretty evenly for about the next year. Then... Lite.

RdZkkeomn.jpg

"Woah"

avaya

Nothing truly astounds me anymore but HOLY FUCK FUCKITY FUCK.

Those are iPod like numbers.

SHIIIIIIT. :lol

Kosma

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
I think this just shows what happens when you can sell systems to outside of the traditional games market. I've seen old people buying DS's and Brain Training at my local supermarket. Crossover appeal sure as hell beats our meagre thumb-twiddling gamer-community.

That's all fine and dandy chap, but in the end that doesn't do shit for me. Those casuals buying Brain Training and little girls buying Nintendogs and Hamsterz aren't going to get another Advance Wars made if you catch my drift. And that's all I care about.

The good thing about this is that the DS really is brining gaming out of the ghetto. I don't have to feel awkward playing on one in public nowadays.

oo Kosma oo said:
That's all fine and dandy chap, but in the end that doesn't do shit for me. Those casuals buying Brain Training and little girls buying Nintendogs and Hamsterz aren't going to get another Advance Wars made if you catch my drift. And that's all I care about.
Some of them inevitably will.

Arde5643

papelnabangka said:
Some of them inevitably will.
Nay, they never will since casuals never move onto core gamers.

Neveerrrrr!!!

I wonder how long some people will latch on to the myth that casual gaming will kill core gaming. :lol

Gigglepoo said:
If you could hear how I said "No..." in my mind (like Norm MacDonald in Dirty Work), you would have laughed.

I love his delivery on that line.

"Didn't you tell me you understand why some women find Sean Connery attractive?"

"Nooooooooooooooo!"

pulga said:
Jesus fucking Christ.

DS succesor pushed back to 2015 confirmed?
Given the sheer quality of the software that has been released, and is set to be released in the next two years, in addition to the ridiculous sales, I don't think we need to see a successor until past 2010.

Top Bottom