• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 5/6/11: Wii 2, PSN 0 (feat MANGOD)

Ondore

435.jpg

Bin Laden is dead. The galaxy is at peace. What better way to celebrate than with 8-4 Play and a ton more talk about Nintendo's Wii successor and Sony's ongoing PSN woes? To help brief us on the latest intel, we called in former US Navy Seals Shane "Bill Rizer" Bettenhausen and Evan "Lance Bean" Shamoon, who also share thoughts on Portal 2, the new Sony tablets, El Shaddai, and Sonic's legitimacy (or lack thereof?).

Time: 2:18:30
Direct Download
iTunes (updated)
8-4 homepage
1up page
"Oh that's right, you didn't buy it, because it's FREE. Just like any good online service should be. This is Shane Bettenhausen, signing off. Playstation 3."

This is the greatest time and place in the history of vidgames for a Shane guest appearance.

This Shane will forever be known as Shane Prime, and will be the only one to survive the merging of all the Shane worlds in the known dimensions.

(cut to a trailer for Jet Li's "The One" with a shot of one Shane hitting another Shane with a motorcycle)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Okay, Shane wtf man, the Gamecube was way better machine than the PS2!

If you give Kojima productions both systems and say "make the best looking game you can" The Gamecube game will be the better looking one. What you're talking about is that some companies are better at getting the most out of a machine than others, which I agree with.

Personally, I worked with both systems for years at EA and we all fucking hated the PS2, it was a piece of shit and it held us back constantly. GC and X-Box 1 specs were much friendlier and easier to work with.

Anyways, still listening, skipped all the Portal 2 talk :D.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
LiK said:
Hahaha, PS2 more powerful than Gamecube? Oh Shane, you so crazy.
Funny how common that misconception is. People obviously gobbled up the propaganda from gaming magazine a bit too much when they are younger.

Not quite as bad as those who think Nintendo is one developer mind.

Penguin

BGBW said:
Funny how common that misconception is. People obviously gobbled up the propaganda from gaming magazine a bit too much when they are younger.

But wasn't Shane in the gaming magazine business at the time?

BGBW said:

I'm going to go ahead and say that Shane likely understands this and knows what the truth is but chose to say what he said purposefully and leave it at that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Penguin said:
But wasn't Shane in the gaming magazine business at the time?
Then he is the source of why some gaming forums are so unbearable.

Not like the Nintendo side is any better. Pretty sure I've seen place still use the politically correct nicknames for the competing systems of Greystation and Hexbox.

Blueblur1

Suzzopher said:
Shane consulted on Sonic 4? I thought he liked Sonic?
I don't know what his input was as I can't listen to the show yet but I can say that Sega of Japan is known to be stubborn and rarely does anything with feedback. It took them years to start making decent Sonic games.

LiK

Mark: "Shane, are you a PS+ member?"
Shane: "I am not."
Mark: "WOW. Let's let that sink in."

LOL

Slime

Banned
I always thought the thing that would have me impatiently anticipating more week after week following LOST would be another dense scripted drama or comic book, but apparently it was a gaming podcast. I don't think any form of serialized media I consume has left me quite so hungry for more of late. Really great stuff.

And this one has Shane, so that ups the awesome factor by the power of a bajillion. Can't wait to 'til I can listen.

I can understand the desire to bring in a ringer to compete with that other definitive source for Japanese gaming but busting out Mangod simply isn't playing fair

Can't wait to listen

LiK

Leatherface said:
Why is everyone praising jeebus? Is there some good info or is this podcast so awesome I must listen?
Gaming Jesus x ManGod. It never fails. Praise thee lords.

Suzzopher said:
Shane consulted on Sonic 4? I thought he liked Sonic?

He said he consulted on Sonic at one time, he didn't elaborate on which title it was or when he did.

He told that anecdote about his friend who was product manager(or similar) on Sonic 4 who told him Sonic 4 was going to be good, so Shane spent the $15 on it and hated it. Like any true Sonic fan should.

The Sonic talk was fun and Mark Mac could well do with going back and playing some classic Sonic. They're all on XBLA, lock on feature for Sonic & Knuckles works there too, unlike the ultimate Genesis Collection.

Also on that point, as a UK'er, it was cool to hear Shane say Mega Drive instead of Genesis. When in Japan, I guess.

Phenomic

and Glorious it was...

Always love when Mangod is pod-casting I wish he had the time to do it way more often. End was what got me though. Hearing Shane describe a little bit into what made him join Ignition, believing in something that strongly to turn down other offers some of which easily probably had more prestige. To see people make fun of that one product that was his deciding factor must have been rough at the time. So hearing him talk about the succeeding portion in the end is great.

Also, the back and forth sonic stuff is classic.

Mrbob

As someone who also thought Phantasy Star Universe was a step down from PSO, the game was a guilty pleasure for me. My character had almost 70 hours on it before I gave up from boredom due to lack of content.

If PSO2 can channel the original and give us a lot of content to go through, I'll play it for a long time. We need those mags back though!

Top Bottom