• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 5/6/11: Wii 2, PSN 0 (feat MANGOD)

meppi

Keyser Soze said:
Have been looking to add another podcast to my subscriptions. I choose you!

You won't be disappointed.
Well if you can ignore Mark "Gaming Judas" MacDonald's irrational hatred for the original Game Boy.

Listening to Shane is like wrapping yourself in an old childhood blanket and being overwhelmed with the smell and feel

PS2 vs. GameCube? Getting excited for a Sonic game? Dear 2006, I'm home!

Curufinwe

Raging Spaniard said:
Okay, Shane wtf man, the Gamecube was way better machine than the PS2!

If you give Kojima productions both systems and say "make the best looking game you can" The Gamecube game will be the better looking one. What you're talking about is that some companies are better at getting the most out of a machine than others, which I agree with.

Capcom and RE 4 is the obvious example. They had to work miracles just to get the PS2 version to look almost as good but still noticeably worse than the original.

HamPster PamPster said:
Listening to Shane is like wrapping yourself in an old childhood blanket and being overwhelmed with the smell and feel

PS2 vs. GameCube? Getting excited for a Sonic game? Dear 2006, I'm home!
Same exact feeling.... These Mangod vs. Jesus podcasts are nothing short of amazing. Only 40 minutes in and you thought that the the Playstation 2 vs. Gamecube lines were great, wait until Sonic.

Shane: "Sonic CD is better than many of the Mario games"
Room: *erupts in complaints*

Haha. Shane Get! Anyways, I do agree that Sonic CD beats out Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Sunshine, and even maybe Mario 3 (I get why people like it, but never held that special appeal... that one goes to Super Mario World which I love to pieces).

[EDIT] At 38 minutes; Shane: "JJ and I, we clearly see eye-to-eye. You're a smart kid".

Nostalgia overload.... gahhhhhh

Just for the record, guys, (at least in the PC version) you totally can unlock some customization stuff for co-op, like the Companion Cube beanie and Commander Video flag I've got on my characters!

Steve-Brule-for-your-health.jpg

Also, only a half-hour in and this is one of the best podcasts I've listened to in a long time.

EDIT: wait, never mind, I just got to the part where Mark said Hotel Mario is better than Sonic CD. GODDAMMITMARKI'LLKILLYOUYOUSONOFABITCH.

I don't think 3D has much to do with excitement for Mario Kart 3DS. I don't think people are going to be like, "hmm I should buy the 7th Mario Kart because it's in 3D this time". They're going to say, "I need to buy this Mario Kart because Mario Kart games are fun". I think people get too hung up on the 3D aspect of the system. It's not all about the 3D. It's a DS with GC (or better) level graphics and more features. Is anyone still salivating at the 3D after owning the system for over a month? Are you getting excited about playing a 3D Mario in 3D or are you really excited about playing a new 3D Mario with small Mario and raccoon tails? Are you excited about playing OOT in 3D or are you excited about replaying one the best games of all time?

Regarding the Cafe controller, I don't think Nintendo trying to sell us another portable system. I don't think you'll be taking the controller around with you like a 3DS. I just don't see the streaming having a huge range. The key word here is streaming. Do you really believe they would release something that can stream games to you across town? Get real.

Oxx

Another fine show.

RE: proper console Pokemon games - It would cost more to make and sell less than the handheld ones. Why bother?

I AM JOHN! said:
EDIT: wait, never mind, I just got to the part where Mark said Hotel Mario is better than Sonic CD. GODDAMMITMARKI'LLKILLYOUYOUSONOFABITCH.
Hmm, let's ask some random person on the street.
Hey, you there! Yes you! Do you think Hotel Mario is better than Sonic CD?
Gentleman: Response

Well there you go, that should settle it.

Riposte

Hmmm, another podcast which would benefit for dropping the non-spoiler empty Portal 2 discussion. Maybe more annoying in this case since the general theme lol.

EDIT: Was Sonic Colors really that bad?

daegan

Dead Man Typing said:
He said he consulted on Sonic at one time, he didn't elaborate on which title it was or when he did.

He told that anecdote about his friend who was product manager(or similar) on Sonic 4 who told him Sonic 4 was going to be good, so Shane spent the $15 on it and hated it. Like any true Sonic fan should.

The Sonic talk was fun and Mark Mac could well do with going back and playing some classic Sonic. They're all on XBLA, lock on feature for Sonic & Knuckles works there too, unlike the ultimate Genesis Collection.

Also on that point, as a UK'er, it was cool to hear Shane say Mega Drive instead of Genesis. When in Japan, I guess.

Oh my god. How have I never known this before? This is almost enough to get me to buy a 360.

after my 3rd vitamin-flavored Chūhai I totally forgot to say that I agree 100% with Mark 'Gaming Jesus' MacDonald's previous stance on the original Game Boy.

It was just truly awful hardware, and anyone who'd ever seen a Lynx, Game Gear, or (later) a TurboExpress could clearly see how lame the GB fat truly was. Seriously, the screen was just a hideous blurry mess.

I was a huge Nintendo fanboy, but after getting hands-on time with GB, I decided that it simply wasn't worth my money. I didn't buy a GB until the GB pocket, and even that was somewhat begrudgingly!

LiquidSwords said:
after my 3rd vitamin-flavored Chūhai I totally forgot to say that I agree 100% with Mark 'Gaming Jesus' MacDonald's previous stance on the original Game Boy.

It was just truly awful hardware, and anyone who'd ever seen a Lynx, Game Gear, or (later) a TurboExpress could clearly see how lame the GB fat truly was. Seriously, the screen was just a hideous blurry mess.

I was a huge Nintendo fanboy, but after getting hands-on time with GB, I decided that it simply wasn't worth my money. I didn't buy a GB until the GB pocket, and even that was somewhat begrudgingly!
My rebuke:

Tetris

The Gameboy was a Tetris machine. Even though there were other gems, nothing else really mattered until Pokemon.

john tv

LiquidSwords said:

A hideous blurry mess...with awesome games. Versus Lynx, Game Gear, and Turbo Express, which were less hideous, less blurry messes with awful battery life and 97% shit games (Turbo Express obviously had some good ones but good luck playing them for any worthwhile amount of time with that battery life -- 3 hours for 6 AA batteries? -really?-).

I spent hours with those early GB games - Mario Land, Tetris, Tennis, Alleyway, Boxxle, Kwirk, etc. etc. The blur was never an issue - I mean, you knew it sucked, but you dealt with it, because the games were fun.

I can see being a graphics whore NOW but at that age? Makes me question if you people were real gamers or what. No kid in 1989 was complaining about the Game Boy - the good FAR outweighed the bad on that thing.

Side note: Half the reason I bought a 3DS was for the GB VC. Cannot wait to dig into those classic games again after all these years. Hoping to get my hands on some of the stuff I never played before, too. Renting GB games was hard back in the day, and lots of games had really low print runs.

On Wii launch night in NYC I interviewed Reggie, and the question I most wanted to ask was when we'd get a GB Virtual Console. :) Took 'em 5 years, but glad it's finally coming!

Wii 2 talk continues to be paînful to listen to. Why mark went off on the wii 2 controller being a portable for 10 minutes, when nothing suggests that is beyond me. Price wise and market wise, it makes no sense when talking about aa home console. I guess that's my problem with podcasts, they say stuff without thinking in the passion of the moment, when posters like us that follow topics regularly have time to think and learn.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
daegan said:
Oh my god. How have I never known this before? This is almost enough to get me to buy a 360.
Also works on the Wii Virtual console.

Kevtones

First time listening (been putting it off for some dumb unknown reasons) and I love it. Nostalgic sure, but I loved it on its own merits.

Of course, segment two may change the opinion but it's great to hear these voices.

Gacha-pin

So The reason you joined IgnitionEntertainment was finally out last month. Why don't you come to Japan and become a regular podcast crew, please, Shane san!!

I had totally no idea what was going on when Hiroko san tweets something like くんくん, but now I can see she is looking for cheese cake in the midnight:D

Top Bottom