• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 9/23/2010: ASCENSION OF THE POKETRON

No_Style

It's a guestacular second episode of 8-4 Play as two of the industry's finest - former EGM/1UP scribe Shane Bettenhausen (now of Ignition Entertainment) and Kojima Productions alum Ryan Payton (now of Microsoft's 343 Industries) join us to give their thoughts on this year's Tokyo Game Show, the state of the Japanese game industry, Dante's new hair, and a whole lot more.

Download
Podcast Page

SOLDIER

firehawk12 said:
Cheers. It's funny how there are like 4 Japan based gaming podcasts now. Took long enough. :lol

What are the other three?

I've been looking for a podcast group that focuses on gaming trends in Japan, be it quirky stuff, popular series, or their reception for western based games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SOLDIER said:
What are the other three?

I've been looking for a podcast group that focuses on gaming trends in Japan, be it quirky stuff, popular series, or their reception for western based games.

The GAF one came and went earlier in the year... and then there's "Warning a Huge Game Podcast" and "Red Sun Gamer". People from both have posted in the podcast thread here I think.

The Warning a Huge Game Podcast guys did a text interview with SWERY which was pretty cool to listen to, since it came just as the Giantbomb Endurance Run ended.

Curufinwe

firehawk12 said:
The GAF one came and went earlier in the year... and then there's "Warning a Huge Game Podcast" and "Red Sun Gamer". People from both have posted in the podcast thread here I think.

The Warning a Huge Game Podcast guys did a text interview with SWERY which was pretty cool to listen to, since it came just as the Giantbomb Endurance Run ended.

And they got York's voice actor to read SWERY's responses.

Second episode was just as enjoyable as the first. I'm definitely going to keep listening to this. And, as a biweekly podcast, it updates far more often than Warning A Monthly Podcast.:lol

I hope there will be some more talk about Pokemon in the future once you guys have had more of an opportunity to play the games. I also found the Monster Hunter talk interesting despite not really having any interest in that area myself.

Personally, though, I'm kind of uninterested in the whole "Japan vs the west" motif and all of that stuff. I know everyone has a different take on the issue, but I feel like that whole topic has kind of been played out in recent years.

Great Podcast, Mark is a really good MC (just as good as Ryan of GiantBomb). I want the new PSP Monster Hunter Now. My Japanese is terrible but I had so much fun in AdHoc mode.

I think what'll I do is say Akira Yamaoka every week until he shows up on the podcast. That was this week's mention of AKIRA YAMAOKA.

I have to wonder how much of this is just that "new podcast" energy, but the flow of the show is really fast and fluid. I never find my attention waning, which is weird because even in my very favorite ones I'll occasionally gloss over a bit, so stay the course guys.

tino

Banned
I wish JJ can stop using this name and go back to Sp0rk. "JJ" is such over-the-top name I can not associate with Sp0rk.

mollipen

firehawk12 said:

WARNING! A Huge Podcast, actually.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Second episode was just as enjoyable as the first. I'm definitely going to keep listening to this. And, as a biweekly podcast, it updates far more often than Warning A Monthly Podcast.:lol

AW COME ON! You don't have to rub it in, you know! :(

We actually would have been back on time for our next episode, but it got a bit delayed due to TGS. We just finished recording the episode, in fact.

shidoshi said:
AW COME ON! You don't have to rub it in, you know! :(

We actually would have been back on time for our next episode, but it got a bit delayed due to TGS. We just finished recording the episode, in fact.

I tease because I love (and wish that we got episodes more often). Either way, I'm glad that we'll be getting more soon.

john tv

Mafro said:
New episode was really good, I hope they can keep a steady flow of guests on the show.
We'll do our best! We have a long list of people who we want to have on the show, but sometimes it'll just be us, too. Hope that's OK. :)

iifu said:
Album artwork is not showing up in iTunes for me. Am I doing something wrong?
Actually it's now showing up for me, either -- not sure why. Maybe I did something wrong; I'll look into it when I have a free sec.

Wario64 said:
So this podcast updates every Thursday? Friday?
The current plan is every other Thursday, but now and then we'll break schedule if the situation warrants it (for example, we'll probably do an episode the day of the 3DS launch, regardless of where that falls in our normal schedule).

Actually curious what people think about that -- is it super important to you that a podcast stick to a rigid schedule, or are you cool with us dropping in eps here and there when we can?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Gonna listen asap.

Actually curious what people think about that -- is it super important to you that a podcast stick to a rigid schedule, or are you cool with us dropping in eps here and there when we can?

I'm for a rigid schedule in favor of keeping a consecutive series of episodes, rather than 3 episodes in a week and then not hearing anything from you for weeks.

Obviously if you have "rare" opportunities like this time I don't mind at all, but I'd enjoy more hearing you on par with the trending flow on the industry.

And yeah, the cover album doesn't show up either around here on Itunes.

GG-Duo

john tv said:
We'll do our best! We have a long list of people who we want to have on the show, but sometimes it'll just be us, too. Hope that's OK. :)

Actually it's now showing up for me, either -- not sure why. Maybe I did something wrong; I'll look into it when I have a free sec.

The current plan is every other Thursday, but now and then we'll break schedule if the situation warrants it (for example, we'll probably do an episode the day of the 3DS launch, regardless of where that falls in our normal schedule).

John, this episode was excellent. The Ryan Payton interview and the discussion of the size of Japanese game development, strengths and weaknesses of Japanese top-down direction, were very insightful.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The network features of Pokemon B/W sound really awesome, didnt knew that it was updating everything live even while playing.

Shawn128

john tv said:

Keep the rigid schedule, go ahead and do special episodes for events (i.e. Nintendo DS, E3, TGS, big announcements, etc).

I'd really like you guys to explore more about the East vs. West style of gaming (I know its already been touched on and I haven't listened to this episode yet), I find it highly interesting to see the back and forth between the styles, how each side affects each other, and where you guys think East-style development will go.

john tv said:
Rigid too please, it's really nice to integrate listening to a great podcast into my weekly schedule.
Seriously great stuff guys, loved both episodes, but as I said on the last thread, do give us as much insight as you can into 8-4, the trials and tribulations of localising etc. I'm sure ye've already given it alot of thought, but ye've really just mentioned that ye have guests lined up, which seems like it would take alot of focus away from the possible insight into 8-4 itself.

TL;DR - Fantastic podcast, hope ye strike a good balance between 8-4/localisation & guests.

MarkMacD

Good to know people are interested to hear about what goes into bringing a game from Japan to the West--or our part of it, at least.

We're trying to come up with ways to talk about what we do w/o 1. saying anything we can't and 2. boring the hell out of people who aren't interested about how the sausage is made. Think we might have something soon...

Keep the ideas coming. Lots more guests lined up, and we have the big 3DS conference next week in Tokyo to talk about...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MarkMacD said:
Keep the ideas coming. Lots more guests lined up, and we have the big 3DS conference next week in Tokyo to talk about...
This should be epic - cant wait for it.

Owzers

ahhhhhhhhhhh how can Shane say Shadows of the Damned looking a bit like RE 4 is a slightly bad thing. Since RE 5 disappointed me for the most part, that's why i'm excited for SotD.

coopolon

Wow, 1up is such a garbage site. Just went to get this podcast, and three of those flash ads popped up, one after the other, the kind where they are blocking the text but aren't a separate window and you have to click to close them.

Suzzopher

I hope in the future you guys will do some currently playing sections, would be good to hear if you are playing some games, people in the west may be less aware of.

I agree with what Ryan was saying regarding the Japanese and the portable scene. I can see 3DS and PSP2 being the future of the country to fund AAA games on HD consoles.

Top Bottom