• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 9/23/2010: ASCENSION OF THE POKETRON

duckroll

I few notes I'll like to add since there have been two podcasts so far. Now, I'm by no means very familiar with podcasts in general, since I don't usually listen to them unless they interest me, but as far as a radio program goes I feel that it seems to go on a little too long sometimes for a segment. The hosts and guests are very interesting so far, and the topics are very current and insightful (not surprising given the timing with TGS), but the rambling kills the flow just a little bit at some points.

Specifically in this week's podcast, it's a little be unfortunate that the pre-recorded bit with Ryan is played back later in the podcast after a really long discussion with Shane. Both guys had great things to say, but they covered some the same topics (sometimes with the same points) and it weakened part of the Payton bit because it started to feel a bit recap-ish. I feel it would have been more effective to streamline stuff a bit, maybe by playing the Payton bit first at the start (since it's pre-recorded and there's no way of changing the content) and then have Shane play off of Ryan's input and his mentions of swery and so on. That would have flowed a lot better imo.

Anyway, keep up the great work. It's really nice to see 8-4's site finally up, and the podcast has been pretty engaging and entertaining so far. :D

Really enjoyed listening to the show, thanks again for making it.

One thing I'd like- might be lame for the core users on GAF. Would be for you to explain the context of the Japanese games you talk about briefly. For those of us who aren't well versed in Japanese games. Sort of like the little footnotes. That's not to say you've done a bad job, in particular you describe the people you talk about well and explain what they have been involved with.

novery

TheOddOne said:
Shane VS Ryan.

I would totally pay for a UFC type fight between them. Dunno why, but I would like it.

Urban_Champion_cover.jpg

Urban Champion vs. No Nickname Guy!

I like how Shane sort of spoiled Deadly Premonition, said we should have played it already, then acknowledged that the game isn't out in the UK until October.

Still loved the podcast, and will still be buying the game when it comes out over here.

Dead Man Typing said:
I like how Shane sort of spoiled Deadly Premonition, said we should have played it already, then acknowledged that the game isn't out in the UK until October.

Still loved the podcast, and will still be buying the game when it comes out over here.
Yeah, struck me as an odd mistake to make (and then not edit out). Thankfully I've watched GB's Endurance Run (and still getting the game).

No_Style

Finally listened to the episode. It's awesome. The game music interludes gave me that Retronauts vibe.

MarcMacD: Don't ever change. Drop your F bombs as you see fit!

Great work to everyone else as well! I enjoy the "format"; introductions and then get right down to whatever the topic is.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Xater said:
Which is also one of my favorite podcasts. If only it came out more regularly *hint hint* :D

Anyway, another great 8-4 episode except for sprsk who still thinks new Dante looks like the old one. wat

I couldn't really get across that I meant "thematically" they are the same.

First impressions are that it's difficult for me to differentiate between John Ricciardi's and J.J.'s voices unless they're called upon by name before they speak. I'm sure I'll get accustomed to it later though.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed listening to this during my commute yesterday. Keep them coming.

MarkMacD

duckroll said:
...then have Shane play off of Ryan's input and his mentions of swery and so on. That would have flowed a lot better imo.

Good point -- we should have at least listened to it again ourselves first (and meant to), but we ran out of time. Rookie mistake! We'll do better :)

Visualante said:
One thing I'd like- might be lame for the core users on GAF. Would be for you to explain the context of the Japanese games you talk about briefly. For those of us who aren't well versed in Japanese games. Sort of like the little footnotes.

Agree 100% and have (I think) a good idea how to handle this; watch (listen?) for it on upcoming shows...

Suzzopher said:
I hope in the future you guys will do some currently playing sections, would be good to hear if you are playing some games, people in the west may be less aware of.

Mos def.

No_Style said:
Drop your F bombs as you see fit!

Basically a podcast reflex at this point, for better/worse. As for the format, it's been loose up until now but will def be evolving.

Xater

While we are at suggestions, please talk about arcade games. Japan still has some interesting stuff. Spread the love of Border Break! :D

El Sloth

Banned
john tv said:
Actually curious what people think about that -- is it super important to you that a podcast stick to a rigid schedule, or are you cool with us dropping in eps here and there when we can?

I was a huge fan of Idle Thumbs, so no the schedule isn't super important as long as the content is great. But a rigid schedule isn't exactly a bad thing either.

Mangod was great, can't wait to see who else you guys get to come on!

Edit: MarcMacD F bombs are a-okay with me.

Gomu Gomu

Finally listened to both of them. Amazing stuff. Really entertaining. What I would love to see done in the podcast is a regular user questions segment. Whether it's by Email (E.x. Bombcast), Twitter (Player 1 Podcast), forum posts (Weekend Confirmed?) or whatever. I assume there are a lot of listeners with a lot of questions in their minds about the Japanese gaming industry in general, Japanese culture and/or the process of localization. And after hearing you guys, I believe you are the perfect group to answer these questions.
That's all I have, thanks for the great job. And I'm looking forward to future episodes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this episode was absolutely brilliant. wish you guys were weekly.

Payton was really interesting, shame about his media blackout.

Jex

Another excellent episode.

Great guests so far.

I'm becoming quite the fan of podcasts that contain insightful comments on one particular area (Retronauts, ATB) as opposed to works that kind of touch on everything (Weekend Confirmed etc).

NewFresh

Loving the show. Wish we could have heard more about Mangod's retro game shopping.

You guys should talk more about that kind of thing, as someone stuck in PA I would love to hear about the Japanese gaming scene

LiK

MarkMac was just on fire. Really enjoyable show. Wish there was more ManGod.

btw, <3 Hiroko's "hmms" and "uh huhs" :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So good to have a new podcast, btw. At the moment all I have is Giant Bomb.

If you guys went weekly, I - uh - wouldn't complain.

Flavius

Wow. A really tight, informative podcast...full of personalities that I dig...and not talking about the same old bullshit topics everyone else has been dredging up since 2005???

I dub thee...my new, favorite podcast.

Really impressed guys. Please keep up the great work.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I already gave some feedback on Twitter but I'll throw my hat into the ring again here and say I'm really enjoying the podcasts, you guys are all great. If I'm completely honest, it always takes me a few seconds to differentiate between sprsk and johntv, but that's clearly not a criticism

I tend to be curious to a fault, so I'd love to hear more about the technical nitty-gritty about how you guys actually do your localizations. Mark tweeted out some programming language-esque machine code a little while ago, is that really what you guys have to deal with when doing this crap? It's not just a find-and-replace-text-here-and-there kind of thing? Or is it different between each developer or game engine? I remember in the NES/SNES days people talking about being constrained for space when localizing, does that still apply? Ever had any l i t t l e m o n e y moments or close calls? Like I said, curious to a fault

As for guests I'd love to hear on the show: Alexander O. Smith, no question

Truespeed

Hey Mark, just wanted to say that it's so good to have you podcasting again. Listening to Shane and you reminded me of what made the original 1UP podcast so good. After only 2 episodes, you're now one of my favorites.

Also, keep making your guests close the show...

jling84 said:
8-4 and Sun of a Podcast are the two best podcasts out there right now.

Cheers dude ;) I really appreciate that!

I also really enjoy the 8-4 podcast, having guests on the show is such WIN! Keep it up!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, and having it confirmed that Kojima actually used his directorial muscle to push the ladder scene in MGS3 into the game is about the coolest Kojima related thing I've heard in ages. I assume a lot of the stories about him are exaggerated, or at least more of a team effort, but hearing about that being HIS thing is just so damn cool to me.

jax (old)

Banned
hey yo.

just wanted to chip in and say this is the best new podcast out there. Loving the crew, loving shane on it. Loving the gaming discussion. There's real depth here and your guests have been great.

Keep up the good work.

subscribed.

john tv

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback! You guys rock. BTW, we went ahead and broke schedule again -- we'll have a new episode up later tonight JP-time (probably around 6 or 7 hours from now). No special guest this week, just all post-Nintendo conference 3DS talk. Look forward to it!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
john tv said:
Awesome, thanks for all the feedback! You guys rock. BTW, we went ahead and broke schedule again -- we'll have a new episode up later tonight JP-time (probably around 6 or 7 hours from now). No special guest this week, just all post-Nintendo conference 3DS talk. Look forward to it!

good :D

Suzzopher

john tv said:

Another episode this week:D You guys realise we'll have withdrawal symptoms when we have to wait a fortnight :lol

jax (old)

Banned
john tv said:

excellent!!!

:D :D :D

More Shane is my feedback, you guys have great rapport.

It's nice to hear people who know what they're talking about speaking about Japanese games for a change. +1

More Shane I guess would be difficult because he is a busy guy living in the other side of the world, but this probably is not the problem.

Looking forward for the next episode.

john tv said:
Awesome. \o/

Top Bottom