• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-year-old gamer joins esports team, receives $33K signing bonus

Grinchy

Banned
When I was 8, I was thrilled to have my parents give me a dollar so I could ride my bike to the candy store lmfao. I feel old as fuck.

But this kid is 8, was given a massive PC, and then $33K. I don't know what an 8 year old with a gaming PC even wants after that. I guess more Fortnite skins.

mitch1971

lol, really? That’s hilarious. I can see some britts soliciting ‘Fanny’ in the US and getting quite a surprise.... do you guys still call cigarettes ‘fags’?

Yes we do.

Fanny packs are also called bum bags in the uk.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Same reason as normal sports, which to be completely honest I don't understand either.
The way real sports make money is simple. Television rights. Every sport is paid millions to guarantee television channels have fresh content.

its the same thing esports is trying to do. That’s why they are always looking for a way to be put on television.

TLZ

Banned
Honestly? I don’t know. It’s possibly some genres of gaming will die off, but it won’t surprise me to see it going strong in ten years.

I’m still salty at my wife for telling me in 1998 that my idea of having a website where you could watch people play games 24/7 was stupid and no one would ever want something like that.
Lesson learned: Never listen to women.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
5k PC to play Fortnite? Talk about overkill. I got a 1k PC and it can smash almost all games today on highest settings at 60fps.

edit: I suppose it includes a "chair" and all the other over-priced accessories.

Don't forget to say "1080p". 1K is too low for a strong PC.

Last edited:

Eternal21

Is it me or is e sports a massive bubble?
I don't think so. If I had to choose between watching football or watching a competitive video game, I'd go for video game every single time. I'm guessing this holds more true for younger viewers.

Banned
5k PC to play Fortnite? Talk about overkill. I got a 1k PC and it can smash almost all games today on highest settings at 60fps.

edit: I suppose it includes a "chair" and all the other over-priced accessories.

if you can't run Fortnite at above 100fps in end game fights you are at a massive disadvantage.

end game fights with tons of builds can hammer both CPU and GPU hard

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
I honestly don't understand how it makes as much money as it does.
There was an investigation some months ago about how e sports receive lots of funding despite not producing much money.

they are like startup, people are betting millions on their success, which is not materialising yet

mcz117chief

Don't forget to say "1080p". 1K is too low for a strong PC.
lol it isn't, I got top grade components. I could play games at 4k but I don't have a 4k display. Even then according to Cyberpunk 2077 recommended setting, I can run the game at 4k on ultra, only thing I can't run at max is ray tracing. With the PC I got, I could run Fortnite at 144 fps easily. Maybe not 4k though I suppose.

if you can't run Fortnite at above 100fps in end game fights you are at a massive disadvantage.

end game fights with tons of builds can hammer both CPU and GPU hard

I'm sure i-9 9900 and RTX 2070 Super can do that.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
83gDvXa.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
lol it isn't, I got top grade components. I could play games at 4k but I don't have a 4k display. Even then according to Cyberpunk 2077 recommended setting, I can run the game at 4k on ultra, only thing I can't run at max is ray tracing. With the PC I got, I could run Fortnite at 144 fps at 4k easily.

I've built my PC for $3400 last year and it can't run Fortnite at 4K@144fps. Did you steal your "top grade" components by any chance?

mcz117chief

I've built my PC for $3400 last year and it can't run Fortnite at 4K@144fps. Did you steal your "top grade" components by any chance?
I have connections, so I got my components with some discount, but it wasn't that much. I can't imagine what cost you 3400 on a pc.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

There is no connection on earth that will make you run fortnite at 4K@144fps with a budget PC of $1K.
Perhaps not 4k but 1000 dollars is not budget pc, holy shit. That is enthusiast level. You obviously have no idea what budget pcs actually are.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Perhaps not 4k but 1000 dollars is not budget pc, holy shit. That is enthusiast level. You obviously have no idea what budget pcs actually are.

If I recall correctly, I got Radeon VII for $700, Ryzen 7 2700x for around $320, not mentioning Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe m.2, not mentioning 32GB 3200MHz RAM, motherboard, case, 850w gold power supply, 6x 120mm fans, along with another SATA 2TB SSD. According to current market you should get a better deal/performance indeed, but still $1K is just not a 4K build.

Anyway, have a good night.

I honestly used to think so as well, as I personally have no interest in watching people compete playing video games whether it be an esports tournament or someone on Twitch or YouTube (I'd rather play games myself). But considering that esports has been going since the '90s and seems to keep growing, I think it is here to stay in some form.

I don't get it (or streamers for that matter), but I recognize that there is obviously a market for it.
Espn tried putting esports stuff on tv but it got horrible ratings. It won’t replace mainstream sports that’s for sure.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
oh shit, sorry. I made a mistake. My pc is actually close to $2k, I ran the conversion in my head wrong. Sorry about the mess.

Well, with connections, you can squeez that in ;) I'm getting 50% of the parts from the US, so shipping expenses but still no VAT yet, and 50% from a closer country. Also my build isn't my gaming, only got Radeon VII instead of 2080Ti because of 16GB HBM2 VRAM and 1TB/s bandwidth for video rendering. After that I knew even that was an overkill so far, but might change my mind when I deal with 10-bit or 16-bit (RAW) 4K footage later.

Banned
Rofl, are you serious? Of course it could. Fortnite runs on a potato at 60 frames. Even my 5 year old pc ran it at 80+ frames and that had an i-5 and gtx 970 in there.

have you ever been in a tournament style endgame fight with 200+ buildings around you and 30 players constantly building an destroying builds with explosives etc?

I doubt it.

in those scenes even a 2080ti can go below 100 fps

mcz117chief

Lol competitive gaming at 60fps.
I don't consider Fortnite to be in the same league as Warhammer Total War 2 when it comes to pc requirements. I am pretty sure even "budget" pcs can run Fortnite at 100 frames. The damn thing runs on phones, so getting it to run at 100 frames should be possible on any calculator from this century.

have you ever been in a tournament style endgame fight with 200+ buildings around you and 30 players constantly building an destroying builds with explosives etc?

I doubt it.

in those scenes even a 2080ti can go below 100 fps

I'll take your word for it, mate.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Wonder how they'll work around child labor laws. I thought most pro exports player practiced many hours per day.

I wish I could get into Fortnite. They keep it pretty fresh.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
He can’t be more talented than older gamers, can he?

My guess is it’s more about appealing to younger esports audiences, which is apparently a thing. Someone that they can relate to and enjoy watching, would probably be a good sign for an org.

Either way, this must be a dream come true for someone that age, and with how tight the competition across all age ranges is, well earned. Super happy for him.

Looks like he's got money already judging by the watch he's wearing.
I kinda glossed over this comment initially, until I thought about it for a minute. Why would an 8 year old, or hell, any child under 12 need to know the time!?!? They should be surrounded by adults (hopefully parents) who know the time and instruct it to them.

I feel that a lot of problems with people these days stems from things like this.

Whereas before social media (one of the worst constructs of the modern age) people generally saw successful people and were inspired to work hard to get to that point.

Nowadays people see the social media "stars" that seemingly get money for acting like a div or attention seeking and think that is all they need to do to get success too.

Or even more disturbing you get parents that push their kids into it.

TLDR; What horrid parents, this child needs education in reality not pixel pew pew.

Banned
Really? Wow, I had no idea.

yes, it's one of the reasons pros all play on PC even tho many of them play on controller.
endgame battles are just ridiculously taxing in tournament matches.

that and you have an advantage with shadows turned to off because there are no dark spots people coukd hide in.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Likely needs a parent to manage that big money, for a lot of gamers this is the ultimate goal.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
He can’t be more talented than older gamers, can he?

My guess is it’s more about appealing to younger esports audiences, which is apparently a thing. Someone that they can relate to and enjoy watching, would probably be a good sign for an org.

Either way, this must be a dream come true for someone that age, and with how tight the competition across all age ranges is, well earned. Super happy for him.

He could be, kids are really good at Fortnite. Much better than I was expecting. I have got my ass kicked on that game by kids before I could even react, and I have got carried by what I assume are kids on team chat whenever I've played squad games. It makes me feel old.

eot

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see eSports get even bigger in the future. I know people have laughed at it being even compared to Sports, but if you look at some of the audiences it can bring it online, It is comparable to a stadium full of people. There is a definite interest in it, and kids seem to be more interested in it as well which really helps it grow.

I have personally enjoyed some events. I used to watch Call of Duty eSports a few years ago. Overwatch, too. I don't watch it anymore, but it was fun. I have never enjoyed watching actual Sports. I know I'm not the only one.
The lame thing about e-sports is how transient it is, there's always a new game that comes along and takes over, so you will never have the same kind of history / continuity.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
The lame thing about e-sports is how transient it is, there's always a new game that comes along and takes over, so you will never have the same kind of history / continuity.

Yeah that is true. Depends what type of game it is. Games like CS:GO and League of Legends have been the same for a while, but games like Call of Duty get refreshed every year. CoD had some of it's best eSports during the Black Ops era, so it was sad to see that game get replaced by a less fun game to watch.

Fortnite seems like it might have a long lifespan as well, I don't see a time when Epic Games stops updating it for a while. I'd be surprised to see that game die down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom