• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s style synth-pop/electro synth/cyberpunk music

X-Frame

Is there an ETA on a new DWTD album? 4 albums seemed to have been released within a bit over a year -- so the next one is due soon, haha.

NotLiquid

I've been listening to a bit of more mellow synthwave tracks lately (things like Meet Jimmy, Desire and Hard Wired by Perturbator, Remorse by Scattle etc). Might be a weird thing to inquire about but are there any other synthwave artists who predominantly dabble in more downplayed tracks like these? I already have a wealth of more intense sounding bands to dive into so I was wondering whether there's some more mellow ambiance-driven gems out there to find.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I've been listening to a bit of more mellow synthwave tracks lately (things like Meet Jimmy, Desire and Hard Wired by Perturbator, Remorse by Scattle etc). Might be a weird thing to inquire about but are there any other synthwave artists who predominantly dabble in more downplayed tracks like these? I already have a wealth of more intense sounding bands to dive into so I was wondering whether there's some more mellow ambiance-driven gems out there to find.

Make sure you listen to Perturbator's Minuit on the Dangerous Days album, as well as his remix of the Dead Astronaut's song In Disguise. It's what you're looking for.

cptodin

Not sure if this fits the thread but you could try:

Vök - Við Vökum

Vök - Ég bíð þín

JJDubz

Might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone have a Pandora station that will exclusively play this genre? No matter how many dislikes I give a station or how many artist I add that stick exclusively to this style, the station keeps wanting to play generic electronic music.

NotLiquid

Make sure you listen to Perturbator's Minuit on the Dangerous Days album, as well as his remix of the Dead Astronaut's song In Disguise. It's what you're looking for.

Not sure if this fits the thread but you could try:

Vök - Við Vökum

Vök - Ég bíð þín

Thanks, these are both lovely suggestions. I'd already heard Minuit (been listening to Dangerous Days religiously for over half a year by now) but that Dead Astronaut's remix is definitely what I love hearing. While the second post as mentioned is probably less in this particular genre it's still a great listen and I quite love the sound of this.

X-Frame

So Bandcamp is offering quite a few albums in either 16 bit or 24 bit from this genre, Ultimae Records most notably -- is 24 bit worth it over 16, especially if I already own digital albums in 16 bit?

And wow are the file sizes enormous -- CBL's Interloper Remaster is 2116 kbps each song for Apple Lossless. I know I could just download the mp3 though.

Awesome, didn't know this thread existed, this is just what I needed for recommendations. Here's one I've been listening to a lot recently;

t5SzE34.jpg

Sayak Striker - Never Surrender

kaiju

Makeup and Vanity Set's new Double LP Wilderness is out. They nailed it this time. A viscerally sonic masterpiece. Goddamn it's amazing.

0004881306_10.jpg

Polyhymnal

Last Embrace

An Eternal Feeling

With + Without

WILDERNESS is the tenth full-length album by American fantasy synthesist MAKEUP AND VANITY SET. The double-album is a long-form meditation on the technology of human life and death and features contributions from JASMIN KASET, BIG BLACK DELTA, THOMAS BARRANDON and THE PROTOMEN. The first proper follow up to the acclaimed formative album 88:88, WILDERNESS is a dense sci-fi concept album about outliving death through technology. Released on the synthwave label TELEFUTURE, the album lives in the tradition of the worlds of William Gibson or Stanisaw Lem, a cold, exacting futurist experience from start to finish.

kaiju

Just bought the vinyl. This thread will make my wallet cry.

That is $30 dollars well spent for sure. Can't wait until they ship. This is one album I can't stop gushing over. Best LP I've heard all year actually.

For those that were asking for a slower synthwave style, this is it. Wilderness is best described as a dystopian science fiction soundtrack without a movie to go along with it.

This is one of those albums where you'll want to listen to the whole thing in one sitting.

Hey my little synth-buddies.

On my endless journey to discover new synth music composing dudes I stumpled upon Pengus, haven't seen his stuff posted here but it's actually really good.

DkSBRs7.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/pengus

http://retropengus.bandcamp.com/

If you don't want to go through his stuff by yourself, at least listen to these tracks here.

Midnight Gunslinger

Hacker Fugitive (ft. 80's guitar riff)

Terminal Girl

Space Break

A lot of his other songs have some annoying Audiojungle watermark, but there's still some good stuff among them.

kaiju

On my endless journey to discover new synth music composing dudes I stumpled upon Pengus, haven't seen his stuff posted here but it's actually really good.

DkSBRs7.jpg

Good stuff, nice find here.

I thought they wouldn't start shipping until this summer. :O

Noise likely scored a first edition copy. The current pre-order is for the second edition.

Stumbled upon Darkshine recently. The few songs they've put out are really good:

When Darkness is Shining

Drive To Your End

Violent Revenge

artworks-000105864274-3igj5a-t500x500.jpg

Fjordson

DkSBRs7.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/pengus

http://retropengus.bandcamp.com/

If you don't want to go through his stuff by yourself, at least listen to these tracks here.

Midnight Gunslinger

Hacker Fugitive (ft. 80's guitar riff)

Terminal Girl

Space Break

A lot of his other songs have some annoying Audiojungle watermark, but there's still some good stuff among them.
Wow, this guy is really good.

Da fuck @ that Audio Jungle thing though. Almost ruins the tracks =[

Wow, this guy is really good.

Da fuck @ that Audio Jungle thing though. Almost ruins the tracks =[

He wants to sell the songs obviously and I can understand that but I just looked it up and his prices are something else, it's 14 - 18$ per song. I'll just pretend the constant "Audiojungle" is part of the song, because yeah, it is really good stuff but the pricing is insane.

Fjordson

He wants to sell the songs obviously and I can understand that but I just looked it up and his prices are something else, it's 14 - 18$ per song. I'll just pretend the constant "Audiojungle" is part of the song, because yeah, it is really good stuff but the pricing is insane.
Can't he just put them up on bandcamp for money if he wants to sell them? I'm confused. And yeah, $14 per song? Huh???

Collect all these tracks, throw it up on bandcamp for $10 and I'll buy that shit.

ChryZ

Whoa, this is neat. Getting some Drexciya vibes on certain tracks.
Definitely, although Drexciya pushed more the aquatic angle. The Exaltics loves the extraterrestrial spin. His sound reminds me a lot of Dopplereffekt and many of Gerald Donald's post-Drexciya projects.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This was bound to happen:

a0430082579_10.jpg

1. Lazerhawk - Escape From Germany 05:14
2. Irving Force - Backalley Creepers 2 04:38
3. Who Ha - That Thing 06:00
4. GUNSHIP - Pink Mist 04:02
5. VHS Glitch - He Sees You 04:44
6. Beckett - I Know I'm Human 04:51
7. Amplitude Problem - Tomb of Khufu 03:20
8. SATORI IN BED - Escape From Duality 03:40
9. Synaptyx - Lawless Streets 04:51
10. Jon of the Shred - Obey, Consume... Escape 05:23
11. Jaunter - Anti-Hero 03:53
12. SHIO-Z - No Bloody Trust 03:51
13. 20SIX Hundred - Collapse of Classical Reality 05:34
14. Fixions - Fogs 03:37
15. Speed Machine - Revenge of a Blind In One Eye 03:09
16. STRSGN - Full Eclipse (Catherine's Theme) 03:14
17. Bionic Resistance - In the Deadly Cold 06:12
18. Marcon - MacReady's Last Stand 05:34
19. Europaweite Aussichten - Saintanic 04:57
20. Hide & Sequence - Ghosts 03:50

Bandcamp page: http://retropromenade.bandcamp.com/album/carpenter

I'm at work now, so I haven't been able to listen to it yet. Can't wait until I get home!

lawd

Top Bottom