• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s style synth-pop/electro synth/cyberpunk music

AoM

Not really understanding the confusion tbh, Noisepurge is clearly, unequivocally, unilaterally, biologically, tautologically correct.

OUT OF BODY 4 LYFE

I mean, he didn't say Out of Body is their best (although I think he agrees with that). He said The Shape is their worst, which is by no means a consensus because, y'know, preferences (for me that would be Into the Abyss). But it seems to me that the reason for them pressing the album above all others is because it's their most recent (excluding B-Sides).

Tovarisch

How about the Soviet synth-pop straight from '87?
TwkilIU.jpg

Alliance - At Dawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHLB2bpI_-s

The Shape is hardly a bad album. Has some excellent tunes on it. It's just not as good as Out of Body and Near Dark.

I rank their material pretty much in release order, they peaked early.

Out of Body
Into the Abyss
Near Dark
Send the Signal
B-Sides
The Shape

Hence, worst. The Shape also has the worst cover art :D
And no, it's not a bad album besides "Adrift". Just recycles a lot of their superior material.

I'll have to refresh myself, The Shape was my first exposure to them and I'm pretty stuck on it.
I mean, he didn't say Out of Body is their best (although I think he agrees with that). He said The Shape is their worst, which is by no means a consensus because, y'know, preferences (for me that would be Into the Abyss).
I'm not being serious, just kinda "cheeky" with the idea that The Shape is the worst of the bunch.
Because it is.
I don't listen to much of the band regardless.

see, noisepurge understands me.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I love Adrift, Horizon, Quietly Into the Night, Watching You and Her Ghost. Like it definitely more than Send the Signal, which I consider their weakest effort.

Corpsepyre

Banned
New VOLKOR X!
https://volkorx.bandcamp.com/album/desync-original-soundtrack-vol-2

and I guess it's the second half of the Desync soundtrack by Daniel Deluxe.
https://danieldeluxe.bandcamp.com/album/desync-original-soundtrack-vol-1

Meh on that, though VOLKOR X is on the first track of Daniel's OST.

I've had issues trying to get my downloads from Bandcamp today, so good luck if you do decide to purchase!

Fucking A! Centaur and The System Reloaded are fucking amazing.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
First track from the Prey OST by Mick Gordon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI

Sounds like the rest will be a different style, but enjoy

When I heard this from the Mimic trailer, I was trying to find out if it was a licensed piece - nope, just another work of art from Mick Fucking Gordon. The man's a musical genius - like, this track was made by Mr. BFG Division, would've never expected that.

I already have the game preodered, lemme grab the OST too. I don't think Bethesda will make the same mistake as with DOOM and wait months before getting the official OST out there. Hope it's with launch!

Spwn

Eh, the new Carpenter Brut song didn't do much for me. Sounds a bit like a homage to some Rob Hubbard's c64 music at times and something else at other times. It's like a collection of ideas that have been put into one track, but at the same time it feels like there's not much going on. It's ok and it may grow on me, but I currently feel the song ends just before it starts to open up itself.

Holy shit, there's a GAF thread for this music?! Subscribed!

I recently discovered via Spotify, er, is it synthwave?

Immediately fell in love with Atrey's Relict. A perfect album. I wish I could make music like that. Now onto Occams Laser with The Road to Fury. Love it.

I've mostly been into rock music all my life, but a few bits and pieces of other stuff doesn't hurt. I remember watching Killing Zoe as a kid and marvelling at the soundtrack. Atrey is a perfect progression of that.

Anyway, GAF, what can you recommend me in the vein of Atrey and Occams Laser? (Just to add, I love retro soundtracks like FEZ, Bit.Trip, Halo, Super Meat Boy.)

AoM

Holy shit, there's a GAF thread for this music?! Subscribed!

I recently discovered via Spotify, er, is it synthwave?

Immediately fell in love with Atrey's Relict. A perfect album. I wish I could make music like that. Now onto Occams Laser with The Road to Fury. Love it.

I've mostly been into rock music all my life, but a few bits and pieces of other stuff doesn't hurt. I remember watching Killing Zoe as a kid and marvelling at the soundtrack. Atrey is a perfect progression of that.

Anyway, GAF, what can you recommend me in the vein of Atrey and Occams Laser? (Just to add, I love retro soundtracks like FEZ, Bit.Trip, Halo, Super Meat Boy.)

Listening to some of the Occams Laser (though you're probably already listening to some of them): Perturbator, Carpenter Brut, Dance with the Dead, Lazerhawk, Dan Terminus.

Top Bottom