• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s style synth-pop/electro synth/cyberpunk music

retroman

Volume 2 of Synth Love Affair has just been released:

a4223174023_10.jpg

Tracklist:

1. Takahashi Jones - Ikigai (Afternoon Delight)
2. iamMANOLIS - Lost in Heaven
3. Mecha Maiko - Bike Night
4. LONDON LAZERS - First Crush
5. Damokles - Astral Emotions
6. 7DD9 - Green
7. Phaserland & JJ Mist - Just Someone
8. RF.extreme - Dream Forever
9. Stilz - There for you (Feat. Touya Modi)
10. Maya & Turbo Chevette - Pink & Red
11. De Lorra - Tomorrow
12. SilverHawk aka Miami Vices'82 - All The Night (Original Mix)
13. Tape Loader - Sweet Japanese Love
14. Syntax - Areum
15. Felikitty! - Awkward Lover Blues
16. Plaisance & Martin Dorval - Sax On The Beach
17. Crockett - So We Beat On
18. Ben Businovski - Waterfront Home

Bandcamp link: https://future80s.bandcamp.com/album/synth-love-affair-vol-2

I haven't listened to the full album yet, but that Takahashi Jones track is stellar. Synth & sax rules!

AoM

Pretty mediocre if you ask me. Nowhere near as creative in terms of orchestration/production and songwriting as Carpenter Brut, for example. The female vocals are cheap as fuck, and the riffs sound pretty tired if you've ever listened to metal.

It's fun background music, but that's about it.

First time listening? Or a long-standing issue?

I absolutely prefer the songs on their mainline albums. It is true though that I am generally not a big fan of metal guitar chugging in synthwave.
See, I AM a fan of that but completely agree with your assessment. I also don't get what anyone sees in Perturbator, but I am a legit crazy person...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hex

Banned
Just a heads up:

ontrary to the assertions of the current administration, the order will not make us safer (an opinion shared by the State Department and many members of Congress including prominent Republicans). Christian religious leaders have denounced both the ban, as well as the exception prioritizing Christian immigrants, as inhumane. It is an unequivocal moral wrong, a cynical attempt to sow division among the American people, and is in direct opposition to the principles of a country where the tenet of religious freedom is written directly into the Constitution. This is not who we are, and it is not what we believe in. We at Bandcamp oppose the ban wholeheartedly, and extend our support to those whose lives have been upended.

And so on Friday, for any purchase you make on Bandcamp, we will be donating 100% of our share of the proceeds to the American Civil Liberties Union, who are working tirelessly to combat these discriminatory and unconstitutional actions.
https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/01/3...-human-rights/

And since most of these bands are on Bandcamp....bonus

Rehynn

See, I AM a fan of that but completely agree with your assessment. I also don't get what anyone sees in Perturbator, but I am a legit crazy person...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haha, that's cool, man--different strokes.

I guess if you're into DotD there's a couple Petrurbator tracks that you might be able to get into (Raining Steel comes to mind), but they're definitely different.

edit: I should read the thread before posting!

Hey synth heads, if you've been holding off on pulling the trigger on some stuff on your Bandcamp wishlist, today would be a fantastic time to do so.

Bandcamp said:
Contrary to the assertions of the current administration, the order will not make us safer (an opinion shared by the State Department and many members of Congress including prominent Republicans). Christian religious leaders have denounced both the ban, as well as the exception prioritizing Christian immigrants, as inhumane. It is an unequivocal moral wrong, a cynical attempt to sow division among the American people, and is in direct opposition to the principles of a country where the tenet of religious freedom is written directly into the Constitution. This is not who we are, and it is not what we believe in. We at Bandcamp oppose the ban wholeheartedly, and extend our support to those whose lives have been upended.

And so on Friday, for any purchase you make on Bandcamp, we will be donating 100% of our share of the proceeds to the American Civil Liberties Union, who are working tirelessly to combat these discriminatory and unconstitutional actions.

Props to BaronMonstro for making me aware of this.

Just a heads up:

ontrary to the assertions of the current administration, the order will not make us safer (an opinion shared by the State Department and many members of Congress including prominent Republicans). Christian religious leaders have denounced both the ban, as well as the exception prioritizing Christian immigrants, as inhumane. It is an unequivocal moral wrong, a cynical attempt to sow division among the American people, and is in direct opposition to the principles of a country where the tenet of religious freedom is written directly into the Constitution. This is not who we are, and it is not what we believe in. We at Bandcamp oppose the ban wholeheartedly, and extend our support to those whose lives have been upended.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/01/3...-human-rights/

And since most of these bands are on Bandcamp....bonus

because of this I just bought the entire discography of Android Automatic, Dance with the Dead, Dream Fiend and Robots with Rayguns and Future 80s Records, along with Lazerhawk's Dreamrider and Skull and Shark albums, and Waveshaper's Station Nova album.

i-Lo

Can someone point me to one or more synth albums (preferably available on BC) that is/are more on the relaxed side?

Thank you.

retroman

Can someone point me to one or more synth albums (preferably available on BC) that is/are more on the relaxed side?

Thank you.
Sure!

Beckett - Primetime
Mitch Murder - Glass Cities
Plaisance - Thunder In Paradise
Plaisance - Havasu
Various Artists - Synth Love Affair Vol.1
Various Artists - Synth Love Affair Vol.2

I also agree with the above suggestion (Sebastian Gampl - City Hunter), really good stuff.

Some individual Mitch Murder tracks I really enjoy are Melting Point, Ocean Avenue and Lit. You can find those here in his 'Selection' compilations.

i-Lo

Sure!

Beckett - Primetime
Mitch Murder - Glass Cities
Plaisance - Thunder In Paradise
Plaisance - Havasu
Various Artists - Synth Love Affair Vol.1
Various Artists - Synth Love Affair Vol.2

I also agree with the above suggestion (Sebastian Gampl - City Hunter), really good stuff.

Some individual Mitch Murder tracks I really enjoy are Melting Point, Ocean Avenue and Lit. You can find those here in his 'Selection' compilations.

Surprised it wasn't the first reply since it's a newer release and topical..

Dreamrider by Lazerhawk

Thank you all so much!!

Is he scoring or will we just hear his older songs? Seems like its the latter.

yeah thought that they just licensed one track for the trailer :D

But more shows, movies and games should do what the Furi game developers did and actually contract them to compose original material.

More gost tour dates for thos who are interested:

02/05 - Orlando, FL - Will’s Pub
02/07 - Atlanta, GA - The Drunken Unicorn
02/08 - Chapel Hill, NC - Local 506
02/09 - Richmond, VA - Strange Matter
02/10 - Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Bazaar
03/17 - Austin, TX - SXSW
03/22 - Boise, ID - Treefort Music Fest
03/31 - Calgary, AB - Dickens
04/01 - Vancouver, BC - Fortune Sound Club
04/02 - Seattle, WA - Chop Suey
04/05 - Portland, OR - High Water Mark
04/06 - San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
04/07 - Sacramento, CA - Starlite Lounge
04/08 - Los Angeles, CA - Complex
04/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Club Red

Twenty people haven't paid for their Qrates order of The Midnight's Endless Summer vinyl, these copies should be released on the original page soon if you missed out.

https://qrates.com/artists/11909/items/12420

This is also holding up the disc from going to print, ugh.

If anyone has an order of The Midnight's Endless Summer vinyl that they no longer want, or see one for sale, I'd be very interested! Have loved that album since it came out and only saw on their Twitter that it had a vinyl pressing just after those copies had sold out! Super bummed to have missed it, if anyone's got a lead I'd be really grateful!

More gost tour dates for thos who are interested:

02/05 - Orlando, FL - Will’s Pub
02/07 - Atlanta, GA - The Drunken Unicorn
02/08 - Chapel Hill, NC - Local 506
02/09 - Richmond, VA - Strange Matter
02/10 - Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Bazaar
03/17 - Austin, TX - SXSW
03/22 - Boise, ID - Treefort Music Fest
03/31 - Calgary, AB - Dickens
04/01 - Vancouver, BC - Fortune Sound Club
04/02 - Seattle, WA - Chop Suey
04/05 - Portland, OR - High Water Mark
04/06 - San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
04/07 - Sacramento, CA - Starlite Lounge
04/08 - Los Angeles, CA - Complex
04/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Club Red

PDX, Nice.

What is the source on these dates?

If anyone has a order o The Midnight's Endless Summer vinyl that they no longer want, or see one for sale, I'd be very interested! Have loved that album since it came out and only saw on their Twitter that it had a vinly pressing just after those copies had sold out! Super bummed to have missed it, if anyone's got a lead I'd be really grateful!
I ordered two, actually; not sure if there will be a crazy resale demand (wanted to both help it get printed and make a little extra after the fact), but I'll keep you in mind when they show up.

Top Bottom