• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90's PC Gaming Appreciation Thread: From Boot Disks to 3dfx Voodoo cards

AmyS

Some Voodoo² love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjRqn2FfSis

OMomej2.jpg

b7jG3gX.jpg

3dbssEn.jpg

3dfx Oral History Panel with Ross Smith, Scott Sellers, Gary Tarolli, and Gordon Campbell

j^aws

Love that quote.

It seems 'consumers' still think the same of 30FPS today.

What's actually interesting in that quote is not that 60FPS is better for interactivity, but rather the target resolution of 640x480, which was significantly below what CRTs were capable of from that era. Today, it's more about filling the highest resolution first...

Quake at 120 FPS isn't too fast to play, though? Of course, you'll hit an engine limit around 72FPS IIRC, though that might just be the source port I'm using (Quakespasm, which also gives the option to turn it off for proper 144Hz gameplay, mmm), but regardless, Quake games always handled variable refresh rates fairly gracefully (I mean, Quake 3's physics break down a bit around 600FPS in ways that either let you make jumps you shouldn't or not make jumps that you should - I forget which - but besides that, it's good).

AmyS

Quake at 120 FPS isn't too fast to play, though? Of course, you'll hit an engine limit around 72FPS IIRC, though that might just be the source port I'm using (Quakespasm, which also gives the option to turn it off for proper 144Hz gameplay, mmm), but regardless, Quake games always handled variable refresh rates fairly gracefully (I mean, Quake 3's physics break down a bit around 600FPS in ways that either let you make jumps you shouldn't or not make jumps that you should - I forget which - but besides that, it's good).

I've never seen anything running above 60fps, so jealous of those who can play at 120 fps / 144Hz :)

Khaz

I've never seen anything running above 60fps, so jealous of those who can play at 120 fps / 144Hz :)

A decent CRT could go up to 100/120Hz in most resolutions. On my retro PC I can do 120Hz at 1280x1024 and below, 100Hz and 85Hz at 1600x1200 and above, depending on the colour depth (may be a GPU limitation). My CRT is rated for up to 170Hz refresh rate (only for the lower resolutions), but I can't access it on the XP desktop.

Though the typical 15 inches that came with your prebuilt could generally not go above 60-75Hz :(

I tried Quake III now (ioquake3) and switched between 75Hz and 120Hz. I couldn't feel the difference tbh. Maybe when I get better? I set it up to 2048x1536x32@75Hz to make it pretty for now.

To me 90s PC gaming was dominated mostly by Origin and LucasArts.

It was Star Wars games, adventure games and almost everything Origin put out (Ultima, Ultima Underworld, Shadowcaster, Strike Commander, Wing Commander, Crusader, System Shock, etc etc) Origin might just be my favourite developer, even rivaling Nintendo.

Apart from that there some classics like Battle Isle 2, some more obscure games like Deadly Tide which could only exist in the 90s and of course LAN party games. Duke3D, C&C, Age of Empires, Unreal, Doom 2 and later StarCraft and Counter Strike. Those last two then dominated everything and were the bridge into the 2000s and the first steps into the internet for me.

Also remember when it was normal that you had a joystick but not a gamepad? I bought a gravis gamepad that was a SNES knockoff and played through FF7 and platformers but Joysticks were way more en vogue. All 4 X-Wing titles, Comanche, Strike Commander, Mechwarrior 2 and MW2:Mercs, ... Sims were huge.

Top Bottom