• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'97 Goldeneye Game Informer review fail

Coen

I love GoldenEye. Sure it got bogged down by technical limitations of the N64 and its controller, but it also introduced actual level design to shooters, somewhat smart enemies, a range of weapons and gadgets with actual differing effects. All in all, it was a great first step to diversifying shooters and it got some great following in Perfect Dark, Thief, Deus-Ex and No One Lives Forever. Unfortunately, the rise of Call of Duty type corridor shooters basically killed the subgenre.

I love GoldenEye. Sure it got bogged down by technical limitations of the N64 and its controller, but it also introduced actual level design to shooters, somewhat smart enemies, a range of weapons and gadgets with actual differing effects. All in all, it was a great first step to diversifying shooters and it got some great following in Perfect Dark, Thief, Deus-Ex and No One Lives Forever. Unfortunately, the rise of Call of Duty type corridor shooters basically killed the subgenre.

you just claimed that Goldeneye lead to Thief, Deus-Ex and No One Lives Forever? oooookay.

i'm not sure what 'actual level design' is, but if it's what i think you mean, i'm not sure how Duke 3D doesn't count. to my knowledge GoldenEye wasn't even the first game with a sniper scope.

kodt

Banned
Not true. It didn't have the variety Goldeneye did, true, but shooting a guy in the neck in Turok would make him hold himself near his head before dropping to the floor.

I remember those animations, but I thought it just picked one randomly and didn't matter where you shot them. Might have to load that game up again and check it out.

Raptomex

GoldenEye is still an epic games. I still play it on my 64 from time to time. I wish they would HD it and bring to XBLA like Perfect Dark. The new GoldenEye game is pretty good but still didn't feel as awesome as the original.

RickA238

Sorry OP, but these guys were spot on.

While Goldeneye was an introduction to most games who couldn't afford a decent PC or who couldn't play Doom/Quake on a LAN, it was objectively a poor game even at release.

The James Bond license and the infusion of 4-way split screen multiplayer were the reasons why it was so loved and so successful. My friends and I played the absolute shit out of the game
when we were twelve
, but if you take away the Bondness and the multiplayer, all you have left is a crappy time trial FPS which would not have sold 100k copies; and it would certainly have been inferior to Turok.

It was an all-time watershed game for the multiplayer concept, but it was considered terrible by anyone who had any sense two years after release.

PS, get over the review butt hurt, the game is 15 years old.

Frankly, I think that these reviews are pretty spot on, and I wish that more reviewers would be willing to penalize a game for being "... just another..." in the genre.

Goldeneye was a great game from an enthusiasts point of view, but I could see how it might not have appealed from the reviewer playing a once-through and briefly sitting down with the MP.

But.. beyond that, they both gave it high reviews. 8.5+ ... Like ... I don't get why anything less than a perfect 10 on their favorite game offends so many gamers.

shandy706

This is funny:

1. You can configure the controls, there are several options including a dual analog option using two controllers, which was very unique for the time.

2. You could cycle backwards through weapons by Hitting A+Z

3. "There is no menu of what you have unless you hit start" lol... so he is saying there is a menu of what you have?

4. There is no run b/c the default speed was run. You could walk by not pushing the stick all the way or by ducking if you wanted to move slower.

5. Turok was a good game, but it had its own issues. There weren't that many FPS games on N64 at the time. Especially compared to how many FPS games we have now.

/thread

That post is the only one that was needed. The game's score wasn't bad, but the review itself was absolutely stupid and made no sense.

It doesn't matter what anyone says, Goldeneye will go down as one of the best/most memorable FPSs of it's time. I too will play it when I feel like getting the N64 out...usually followed by the original OoT and a good session on Mario 64.

Slappers Only

Just to catch everyone up in this thread: there's a negligible degree of social cachet to be gained by reversing one's stance on something that everybody once considered to be mind-blowingly awesome.

Moving on.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
But.. beyond that, they both gave it high reviews. 8.5+ ... Like ... I don't get why anything less than a perfect 10 on their favorite game offends so many gamers.

this was when GI was more or less the FuncoLand newsletter, everything got high scores.

Just to catch everyone up in this thread: there's a negligible degree of social cachet to be gained by reversing one's stance on something that everybody once considered to be mind-blowingly awesome.

Moving on.

i'm not reversing anything. i played it when it came out and went right back to the much better experiences i was getting on PC. GoldenEye will be a footnote in FPS history as the first game that proved the genre could work on a console... but beyond that it didn't really do much else. it wasn't nearly as influential as say Halo in terms of game design.

If I say yes how would that make you feel?

I would feel shocked that you don't understand the difference between Goldeneye, one of the biggest games of the 90s and one of cultural significance to some second rate zelda game that most people outside of nintendo fans don't even know about or remember.

Sponge

Banned
I still have Goldeneye myself, but I haven't actually played it in years. I never understood the universal appeal that kept it going for years. Honestly for a while, I thought was all just a people I knew over hyping it.

I wasn't convinced until the night I got my Wii on launch date, and there were new boxed copies of the game right under the Gamecube section. No other N64 titles, just Goldeneye.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
there's a name for people that aren't that impressed by Goldeneye. we're called PC gamers. if i was jealous of one N64 FPS it was Turok 2. truth. Goldeneye had bizarre controls (yes yes, configurable whatever, but the whole stupid thing where the gun moves and view doesn't shouldn't be an option let alone a default) and average at best single player. first really good console FPS multiplayer? well yeah... but it was nothing compared to what was happening over in PC land at the time.
This is pretty spot on but the Turok 2 comment is odd. It came out like a month after the N64 version for PC.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
hazy memory. pretend i said Turok 1 ;)
Heh. Was a long time ago. Turok 1 came bundled with my friends Voodoo. Also came with Tomb Raider iirc. Good times.

edit: i remember the two of us trying to figure out whether or not the card was working. We would be running Tomb Raider in software mode trying to tell the difference. When it came up in 3D mode it blew our minds how much of a difference it was.

DaMan121

wow, Turok being better than Goldeneye..lol. Sure it had some funky weapons, but all you had to use it against was the fog 10 meters in front of you. (Compare that to Severnaya where you see the Dish a mile away).

I prefer GE to this day and I still don't feel it has lost its edge. It may seem dated to some but I have been playing it recently and it seems just fine.

thefro

Goldeneye does have bad controls, though. M+kb existed in '97. It's a great game, but its claim to fame was "we made fps work on console" not "we made better fps controls on console".

It was still pretty innovative beyond being the first big FPS on a console.

Limb-specific damage, the AI, stealth, etc.

I remember disliking Goldeneye's controls back then because Turok's controls actually were better and closer to the dual-analog setups today.

I played GE with a friend more recently though, and found I could compensate.

RickA238

it still has that silly aiming thing going on. so glad we've done away with that nonsense.

Good point. There was really no need for it with the dual sticks.

By the way, i can't unsee a profile view of Terry Bogard's torso arm and head in your avatar. Every single time you post.

Coen

you just claimed that Goldeneye lead to Thief, Deus-Ex and No One Lives Forever? oooookay.

i'm not sure what 'actual level design' is, but if it's what i think you mean, i'm not sure how Duke 3D doesn't count. to my knowledge GoldenEye wasn't even the first game with a sniper scope.
All I'm saying is that it was among the first shooters not only presenting the player something besides monster closets and maze like level design, but more importantly popularize is. I've been championing GoldenEye for god knows how long on these boards and I know there were games before with features sometimes claimed to be first shown in GoldenEye (like sniper scopes), but I'll stand by my comment that GoldenEye's insane popularity paved the way for similar out-of-the-box-thinking when it comes to first person shooter design.

It was still pretty innovative beyond being the first big FPS on a console.

Limb-specific damage, the AI, stealth, etc.

Limb specific damage was done before GoldenEye. even in an FPS. i mean, you could try to argue that Team Fortress is some obscure mod, but good luck with that. MDK had head shots too, though you might argue that was a TPS despite having first person aiming.

i'm not saying Rare copied anyone else, just saying that, the idea was already out there, even if it hadn't become standard in the FPS.

stealth, i know it was explored in other games first, but i'm not sure about hiding from cameras and the like in first person. that may well be GoldenEye's innovation.

AI you may well be right. whether innovative or not, it was certainly very good for the time.

All I'm saying is that it was among the first shooters not only presenting the player something besides monster closets and maze like level design, but more importantly popularize is. I've been championing GoldenEye for god knows how long on these boards and I know there were games before with features sometimes claimed to be first shown in GoldenEye (like sniper scopes), but I'll stand by my comment that GoldenEye's insane popularity paved the way for similar out-of-the-box-thinking when it comes to first person shooter design.

Warren Spector paved his own way to Thief and Deus Ex with System Shock. i really don't see much GoldenEye in either game's DNA. Deus Ex was first conceived in 1994.

No One Lives Forever I'm sure was inspired in part by GoldenEye.

Slappers Only

Limb specific damage was done before GoldenEye. even in an FPS. i mean, you could try to argue that Team Fortress is some obscure mod, but good luck with that. MDK had head shots too, though you might argue that was a TPS despite having first person aiming.

i'm not saying Rare copied anyone else, just saying that, the idea was already out there, even if it hadn't become standard in the FPS.

stealth, i know it was explored in other games first, but i'm not sure about hiding from cameras and the like in first person. that may well be GoldenEye's innovation.

AI you may well be right. whether innovative or not, it was certainly very good for the time.
Good points. Goldeneye was the first time I felt genuinely sneaky in a shooter. And I loved messing with the AI.

One thing Goldeneye did that was really cool was adding additional objectives on harder difficulties instead of just the usual 'enemies do more damage, and you take less damage' thing. Wish more games did that.

Coen

But wasn't this exactly Rare's MO in its best N64 days? They've never been a truly innovative company, but they've had a knack for finding, combing and perfecting ideas others introduced.

Goldeneye was a good game, and a distinctive one, at the time it was not just "another FPS". The slow pace and objective-based mission designs were fun and interesting back then, at a time when most FPSs were twitch bunny-hopping key hunts in sprawling mazes. Even now, when I think of games that feel like it, I think of Timesplitters, the first NOLF, and not a heck of lot else. The last time I played it a few years ago I still enjoyed it.

Never got into the splitscreen, I just don't care about deathmatch, never have. I'd always talk people into playing Mario Kart 64 instead

wi4u929sp8tfsxuou0pq_rage-wars.jpg

Is that Master Chief 64?

Sothpaw

To me, Goldeneye could only be looked upon as favorably as it was by console only gamers. PC gamers had far better FPS games at the time. I remember playing Goldeneye at a friends house...not impressed at the time.

Goldeneye was a watershed moment in gaming for me.

When it was first released, I remember guys in my dorm playing it, and not being impressed, but over time I started to appreciate it.

Then one day it clicked, and I couldn't put the controller down, played it religiously for like 2 years.

I think so many of us remember the game fondly for the multiplayer, and those timed runs, I remember playing the level with Jaws for like a whole summer.

That entire N64 Era was special...

There was nothing like having 4, 5, 6 guys in the room, talking trash, playing Bond or Kart, and probably my fave multiplayer game of all time WCW/NWO Revenge.

Those were the days, real multiplayer gaming, not over the internet with people you don't know on headsets....I digress though...

I never liked Turok, but I kinda agree with the "controls" issue they're talking about in that review. But still, Goldeneye >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Turok for me. The level design is horrible in Turok, and there is a crazy fog, you couldn't see anything beyond 30cm , which is horrible in a game with maze-like levels. And it's one of the few FPS that ever gave me an head-ache. Also, I'm in the minority here, especially now, but I vastly prefer how the aiming works in GE compared to every other FPS, even today's one. Turok and all the FPS of today do it wrong, they try to shoehorn the precise gameplay from PC FPS to controllers with sticks. Nowadays games have tons of "subtle" aim assist that makes the player thinks he's really aiming while he's not, so it's not much of a problem, but Turok had absolutely none of those assist.

Top Bottom