• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$99 New 3DS Black Friday Deal

jax

Banned
I attempted to Photoshop that black one without the boxart

1u9ZhnC.jpg
Funnily enough, the model with cover plate you had to photoshop to take a look at I've owned for over 2 years. Importing is the best.

You can also import all the plates.

Shame it'll probably sell out instantly online and there's no way in hell I'm going out on Black Friday, experiencing that once was more than enough.

I'm expecting some major Wii U BF deals too since retailers have four or so months to clear stock and this is the best time to do it.

yyr

Will the Switch play 3DS games? I remember doing a search and physical was a no go. Digital maybe?

If not, I'll be getting this.

Nintendo has not yet confirmed this, but early rumors & speculation point to ZERO backwards compatibility, physical or digital. The hardware is completely different as well. If you want to play 3DS games, this is as good as it gets (unless you want the XL).

Does anyone know if the buttons are in the SNES color configuration?

If by that you mean the Super Famicom color configuration, then yes. All New Nintendo 3DSes (non-XL) seem to have that. Unless they're doing something different for this specific model.

jax

Banned
How much better is the new Pokémon game's performance on the New 3DS as opposed to the first 3DS model? I'm rocking the latter and really only ever used it to play Pokémon games. The last one I played was X/Y and those lagged. I also understand Sun/Moon lag but I'm unsure of how they perform here.

Would any of you advise picking up a New 3DS for these games versus using my older 3DS? I'm strapped for cash. I'd also prefer to play these titles on the Switch, but I don't think there's any sign of Sun/Moon going to the console, right?
For Pokémon? I dunno. It won't make the game run any better, cause I guess GameFreak consistently forgets they are a Nintendo company. As far as XY and ORAS go, the New 3DS doesn't handle it better than the older ones. Game freak has done next to zero optimization as far as speed goes, and as far as features as far as I know there is no Amiibo functionality in the game either.

Does the new 3DS scratch its own screen like the old 3DS?

¯_(ツ)_/¯
As someone who owns 4 N3DS in black and white, yes the bottom screen still scuffs the crap out of the top screen no matter what if carried in a pocket. I have 2 "pocket" consoles with scuffed screens, and two "home" consoles that have never been in a pocket, those are scratch free.

You'd think nintendos last dual screen console would have figured this out, but nah. Lol

Mitch

Banned
The OP should make a note that there aren't any listed retailers/buying options yet.

Also, I would follow Wario64 for updates on where to buy it.

Ouroboros

I'll be getting the black version. I already have the white Animal Crossing one. But this will be a back up in case something happens to my white one.

I hope they sell this at walmart. I have a random $25 gift card that was given to me. I would be overjoyed with a $75 new3DS.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
How much better is the new Pokémon game's performance on the New 3DS as opposed to the first 3DS model? I'm rocking the latter and really only ever used it to play Pokémon games. The last one I played was X/Y and those lagged. I also understand Sun/Moon lag but I'm unsure of how they perform here.

Would any of you advise picking up a New 3DS for these games versus using my older 3DS? I'm strapped for cash. I'd also prefer to play these titles on the Switch, but I don't think there's any sign of Sun/Moon going to the console, right?

Repeating because I'd really like this answered as far as performance and waiting for a console version of Pokemon Sun/Moon are concerned.

Silkworm

Hmmm. The last time I went to a brick and mortar store for a Black Friday deal, I got a black Gamecube at Walmart for $100 to replace my broken purple one I got at launch. Could it be time again to go searching for a Nintendo console at a local store on Black Friday? I'm sorely tempted by that black n3DS but truthfully I would prefer being able to get this deal online. Oh well. Maybe it's time to venture out into the insanity again ;-)

ZeroX03

Banned
Repeating because I'd really like this answered as far as performance and waiting for a console version of Pokemon Sun/Moon are concerned.

ORAS had no enhancements and the Sun and Moon demo had none. Expect nothing from the final retail version.

I think it's a much better system overall, but specifically for Pokémon you wouldn't get much out of it.

jax

Banned
As I said earlier, no noticeable difference. Game freak needs more oversight from Nintendo with things like this. It being just as slow was a huge disappointment for me with ORAS.

I swear it's like Gamefreak forgets they're a Nintendo company. Little to no street pass, amiibo, actual hardware support. We probably won't get Pokémon switch until at least late 2019 cause they're so incompetent when it comes to Nintendo hardware.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
ORAS had no enhancements and the Sun and Moon demo had none. Expect nothing from the final retail version.

I think it's a much better system overall, but specifically for Pokémon you wouldn't get much out of it.

As I said earlier, no noticeable difference. Game freak needs more oversight from Nintendo with things like this. It being just as slow was a huge disappointment for me with ORAS.

Ah okay. Thanks.

Does the white N3DS get scuffed up/dirty easily? Most of my electronics are white so I'm leaning that direction, but the black looks clean af and is more exclusive.

jax

Banned
Does the white N3DS get scuffed up/dirty easily? Most of my electronics are white so I'm leaning that direction, but the black looks clean af and is more exclusive.
It gets dirty/shows dirt a lot faster than the black, that's for sure. The black is also just a cleaner design that works better with the majority of cover plates.

Muzicfreq

Banned
To me, it was always overblown, as 3ds screens aren't exactly high quality, regardless of which style panel you end up with.

Not even. On big displays it doesn't matter that much due to the fact that to wash out the screen you have to move more to the sides or top/bottom. Some are worse than others.
But smaller displays suffer more since it requires smaller shifts to see it wash out.

I don't know much about the 3DS TN tech but from my own personal experiences. Also IPS screens are cheap now.

New 3DSes use a mix of IPS and non-IPS screens, seemingly at random, plus the top and bottom screens can have different white balances.

I got lucky with 2 ips screens.... White balance though is different. -_- meh oh well, my main focus is the top screen anyways

ZeroX03

Banned

No scuffs or staining on mine at all, and it's from Nov 2014. Fading is basically imperceptible compared to my much newer one.

jax

Banned
Probably because they're not
Well, they only develop for Nintendo consoles, so it'd be nice if they actually fully utilized them for once. Like they used to in the Gameboy days.

It's ridiculous that Sun & Moon have zero New 3DS enhancements.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Nintendo has not yet confirmed this, but early rumors & speculation point to ZERO backwards compatibility, physical or digital. The hardware is completely different as well. If you want to play 3DS games, this is as good as it gets (unless you want the XL).

If by that you mean the Super Famicom color configuration, then yes. All New Nintendo 3DSes (non-XL) seem to have that. Unless they're doing something different for this specific model.

Maybe because the Switch is a home console and not a replacement for their mobile consoles.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well, they only develop for Nintendo consoles, so it'd be nice if they actually fully utilized them for once. Like they used to in the Gameboy days.

Look if it was any other poster, I would assume this is sarcastic bait, but you have shown to have a penchant for this kind of... silliness...

They released a game on XB1, PS4 and PC just last year. They've also done mobile stuff.

jax

Banned
Look if it was any other poster, I would assume this is sarcastic bait, but you have shown to have a penchant for this kind of... silliness...

They released a game on XB1, PS4 and PC just last year. They've also done mobile stuff.
How could I forget the worldwide phenomenon known as Tembo the elephant. The point I was trying to make is primarily they are the Pokémon company. They make games for Nintendo's portable consoles. Their largest product by far is a Nintendo product. There is no reason for gimped hardware support and their completely asinine view on Pokémon Amiibo (no sounds in Mario maker.. restrictions all around.. why can't we use Pokémon amiibo on Sun & Moon? Because GameFreak pretends both Amiibo and the New 3DS don't exist.)

It's annoying how anti-Nintendo Gamefreak has become. Nintendo bends over backwards to get their best hardware out at a cheap price for their game. Meanwhile GameFreak doesn't provide a thing as far as extended hardware support.

There's simply no reason for the slow load times and lack of full 3D in Sun & Moon. It's really annerving and I believe more people should be pissed about it. The framerate on the 3DS Pokémon in 3D is unbearable. Not only is it not fixed with the New model, but the super stable 3D doesn't even work at all. They literally didn't change the programming for the new console AT ALL.

The optional charging cradles for these are pretty classy.

new3ds-chargingcradle-white-withnewnintendo3ds-480x320.png
Too bad besides white the color choices are awful :( why did you never make a black small one, Nintendo?! :(

MogCakes

As someone who owns 4 N3DS in black and white, yes the bottom screen still scuffs the crap out of the top screen no matter what if carried in a pocket. I have 2 "pocket" consoles with scuffed screens, and two "home" consoles that have never been in a pocket, those are scratch free.

You'd think nintendos last dual screen console would have figured this out, but nah. Lol

Is this preventable if a piece of cloth is placed between the screens?

I wouldn't be surprised if $99.99 becomes its permanent price before too long. The Switch is absolutely meant to fill both roles as a console and handheld.

I don't know if I'm really in, I have way too many games as it is and my Vita has showed me that I'm pretty much over handhelds with how little I've actually played it outside my home.

Top Bottom