• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$99 New 3DS Black Friday Deal

meanspartan

Hell, even 2DSes.

The store i work at got a bunch of 2DSes a few days ago and they went very quickly. And it's post-Christmas.

I was looking for one for a young cousin pre-christmas for three weeks and didn't find shit.

However, I managed to buy a refurb from Nintendo, and it comes with the one year warranty so felt perfectly safe. Came in basically new condition (to my eyes anyway) and my cousin loves it.

Still, it is absurd Nintendo can't keep their shit in stock. There is creating buzz and false scarcity, but at some point you are just missing out on sales by being fucking stupid and not making enough. In essence, they never seem to "cash in" on the false scarcity, so I'm not so sure it is on purpose, it is just incompetence.

Some of these people who wanted a 3ds or an NES mini just decided to buy other things as gifts and will NOT be back to get them when they are in stock finally. Christmas shopping is done.

Yeah. I've seen yellow white n3dses already. It's not so much that this problem isn't fixed it's that Nintendo just uses cheap plastic.

If you keep it indoors (away from the sun) most of the time though, you should be ok for a good long time. Bigger problem is how dirty it'll look after you've owned it for a while. I wash my hand thoroughly before every play session and the stains and smudging is still noticeable.

I really wish Amazon had the black instead to prevent this. I just don't think the $99 price is permanent, so I did not want to wait.

NeonBlack

I was looking for one for a young cousin pre-christmas for three weeks and didn't find shit.

However, I managed to buy a refurb from Nintendo, and it comes with the one year warranty so felt perfectly safe. Came in basically new condition (to my eyes anyway) and my cousin loves it.

Still, it is absurd Nintendo can't keep their shit in stock. There is creating buzz and false scarcity, but at some point you are just missing out on sales by being fucking stupid and not making enough. In essence, they never seem to "cash in" on the false scarcity, so I'm not so sure it is on purpose, it is just incompetence.

Some of these people who wanted a 3ds or an NES mini just decided to buy other things as gifts and will NOT be back to get them when they are in stock finally. Christmas shopping is done.

I don't think calling Nintendo incompetent because their handhelds are no longer in stock after 5 years on shelves is right. I'm willing to shit on them for all the other dumb shortages they had, including the BF 3ds, but it's not like these weren't readily available at some point.

Izayoi

Banned

At this point, I'm convinced it's like this to force people to buy refurbs from their store.

We're coming up on two weeks past Christmas and it's still unavailable at MSRP for new systems, online and in the Greater Seattle Area.

meanspartan

I don't think calling Nintendo incompetent because their handhelds are no longer in stock after 5 years on shelves is right. I'm willing to shit on them for all the other dumb shortages they had, including the BF 3ds, but it's not like these weren't readily available at some point.

Any time you could be selling more but fail to because people can't find any, especially on something that isn't a new product, it is a failure and often amounts to incompetence.

You speak as if this is the original DS or something, it isn't. While the Switch launch is close (assuming that is indeed also going to be their only handheld, and that is NOT certain yet), for now the 3DS line remains the current Nintendo handheld platform, and it is out of stock everywhere. They left sales on the table during the holidays for sure.

Malakai

Any time you could be selling more but fail to because people can't find any, especially on something that isn't a new product, it is a failure and often amounts to incompetence.

You speak as if this is the original DS or something, it isn't. While the Switch launch is close (assuming that is indeed also going to be their only handheld, and that is NOT certain yet), for now the 3DS line remains the current Nintendo handheld platform, and it is out of stock everywhere. They left sales on the table during the holidays for sure.

At least in the United States, Nintendo of America, has have a very poor track record of keeping games in print this generation. I hope this is fixed with the Switch but it is absurd that there are first party games that went out of print that didn't receive a second print run.

For them to have a blow out price of $99 and didn't make enough to meet demand is truly mind boggling. Well, it does suggest that the handheld market is price sensitive and Nintendo could have had been a bit more aggressive in reducing the price of the New 3DS series to move more consoles and games.

NeOak

At least in the United States, Nintendo of America, has have a very poor track record of keeping games in print this generation. I hope this is fixed with the Switch but it is absurd that there are first party games that went out of print that didn't receive a second print run.

For them to have a blow out price of $99 and didn't make enough to meet demand is truly mind boggling. Well, it does suggest that the handheld market is price sensitive and Nintendo could have had been a bit more aggressive in reducing the price of the New 3DS series to move more consoles and games.

*clicks on tag links*
*reads post*

hmmm

I think everyone just underestimated the demand.

Pokemon Go was a summer phenomenon but I guess it didn't affect 3DS sales enough to encourage retailers to order more stock, or Nintendo to make more 3DS's available. Heck, this $100 model almost seemed like they were clearing out inventory for the Switch. Then Pokemon Sun/Moon comes out and the Christmas rush hits.

I think the inability to find the $100 SKU set off a domino effect that led to all other SKU's being sold out.

mr.beers

I couldn't find any 3ds's anywhere. Whether it be XL, New or New XL just empty shelves. I really want a New model and not the New XL.

Unicorn

Maybe I need to break it in, but the D-pad is atrocious on the n3ds. Hard directions are great, but anytime I need to do a diagonal it's painful. IDK if it's that the directions are too long or the plastic is too stiff but pushing both up/down + left/right is borderline impossible unless I consciously focus on doing so.

Maybe I need to break it in, but the D-pad is atrocious on the n3ds. Hard directions are great, but anytime I need to do a diagonal it's painful. IDK if it's that the directions are too long or the plastic is too stiff but pushing both up/down + left/right is borderline impossible unless I consciously focus on doing so.

funny i ordered a black and white but
the black one is hard as hell. can't do diagonals as you mentioned. but the white one is soft.

i also returned another white one double from walmart before the holidays. and it was the very soft.
seems like the black ones are getting a few random stiff ones.

Ecto311

Can't think of another place to ask but anyone here replace the top screen cover? I got a scratch by my awesome 7yr old kid. It goes up and down along a line of pixels and is driving me nuts. Google and reddit show a lot of XL fixes but no places to order a new top cover to remove mine and stick in a new one.

DonMigs85

Looks like the Hori standard screen protector can actually get scratched somewhat easily. Was wiping with my microfiber cloth and now there's a faint scratch line. Maybe there was a small piece of grit, I dunno. Luckily its not too visible other than a faint rainbow effect.

Anyway Play-Asia has a discount right now on the Keyes Factory Blue Light Cut filters so I may try that.

DonMigs85

Can't think of another place to ask but anyone here replace the top screen cover? I got a scratch by my awesome 7yr old kid. It goes up and down along a line of pixels and is driving me nuts. Google and reddit show a lot of XL fixes but no places to order a new top cover to remove mine and stick in a new one.
Are the scratches pretty deep? A screen protector can sometimes fill them in and make them almost invisible. I've never seen replacement screen covers for the regular N3DS, only the XL.
Some tips here might work too but could make the screen hazier https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-remove-scratches-from-a-plastic-screen

I'm bullish on the Nintendo Switch prospects and I have high expectations for it.

Your tag was given to you before the Switch presentation so I'll cut you some slack for before. I admit I was excited too when I watched that October teaser. But the presentation more or less killed any interest I had in the Switch stone cold dead.

The Switch is going to bomba so hard that Nintendo will want to release a New New 3DS by 2018.

DonMigs85

Your tag was given to you before the Switch presentation so I'll cut you some slack for before. I admit I was excited too when I watched that October teaser. But the presentation more or less killed any interest I had in the Switch stone cold dead.

The Switch is going to bomba so hard that Nintendo will want to release a New New 3DS by 2018.

Sad part is I think it could do reasonably well at $250 with a better launch lineup and cheaper accessories. Everything now depends on their marketing message.

Sad part is I think it could do reasonably well at $250 with a better launch lineup and cheaper accessories. Everything now depends on their marketing message.

$249 with a pack in that shows off the hardware and features.

Be prepared for an emergency $199 handheld only version late next year.

Charadis

Looks like the Hori standard screen protector can actually get scratched somewhat easily. Was wiping with my microfiber cloth and now there's a faint scratch line. Maybe there was a small piece of grit, I dunno. Luckily its not too visible other than a faint rainbow effect.

Anyway Play-Asia has a discount right now on the Keyes Factory Blue Light Cut filters so I may try that.

I recommend glass screen protector which are becoming easier to find on amazon and ebay now (for nonXL 3DS). Seems those film protectors will scratch pretty easily just from routine cleaning

Nope, nothing weird.

I only use tempered glass screen protectors now, they are much better than plastic films.

However since the 3DS lower screen is resistive touch, you have to use a plastic film for the bottom screen. Otherwise the stylus won't work. I have the Hori set which is tempered glass for the top screen and plastic film for the bottom screen, it's pretty nice.

It's basically the only Nintendo console with any kind of sales potential period, handheld or home. Unless the idea is just to clear the table completely for Switch( i.e not wanting Switch sales potentially cannibalized by people buying cheaper 3ds units). But who knows... you'd think Nintendo would want to maintain some retail presence. Hell, they fucked up the NES Mini launch for Xmas, the Wii U is dead, and 3ds is scarce. Lord knows what the end of fiscal period balance sheet will look like....

bobawesome

Wow, I've had it up to here with Nintendo. I've sent my 3DS in for repair 4 times since buying it in November. I haven't had a chance to even play it at this point.

They didn't even bother to try to fix the stuck pixel on the latest unit I received and just sent it back with the paper and a checkmark that says they inspected it and sent it back. I know for a fact this is the same unit because I messed up applying the screen protector on the top screen a few weeks ago before noticing the prominent stuck pixel.

And here I thought customer service couldn't get worse than PlayStation.

boiled goose

good with gravy
So I am enjoying my black New 3DS.

I want a cradle though. A black one to match the freaking system.

Does thing thing not exist anywhere? On Nintendo's site they only have a white one. Can't find any third party ones. Can't find any to import.

Please tell me a Black New 3DS (non LL) charging cradle exists...

jacobeid

Banned

Does thing thing not exist anywhere? On Nintendo's site they only have a white one. Can't find any third party ones. Can't find any to import.

I couldn't find one so I ended up getting the white one :/

NeOak

Finally got the faceplates. Holy shit, they look like the originals, and feel great. They arrived a month ago, just couldn't get to where they had been delivered until now.

I didn't get the Zelda ones, but the seller refunded me with no problem.

You can have it in any color as long as it's white.

Finally got the faceplates. Holy shit, they look like the originals, and feel great. They arrived a month ago, just couldn't get to where they had been delivered until now.

I wasn't a fan of the quality of the cases I got from Aliexpress, and they took a long time to arrive too. Glad to hear your faceplates turned out great.

DonMigs85

Would love to see pics. So they even have Nintendo logos on the back?

boiled goose

good with gravy

Man that really sucks. Can't believe there's not even a third party solution for this.

Here's the one I got. It's cheap, black and functional:

93mCFKk.png

Top Bottom