• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$99 New 3DS Black Friday Deal

It's a bit annoying looking for a carrying case for the New 3DS, apparently all the cases you can easily buy are for the 3DS XL. I found one at Best Buy for $10 which is pretty nice except that it's sized for the XL so the 3DS flops around inside the case instead of being held snugly.

This is a serious first-world problem I'm having here :(

That's why we ordered our cases from Japan/Hong Kong/China in advance.

You could buy a case for the old non-XL 3DS, it should fit the new one but might be a little tight since the new one is a tiny bit larger, or it can be a perfect fit depending on the case.

bobawesome

My $149 Walmart order came in. Unit itself is beautiful. I haven't set it up yet but I can definitely tell there is a difference in screen quality (it is a dual TN, as expected, but had to see it in person). I'm trying to decide if I still need this in my collection or no.

HoBWBjD.jpg

Unlike my white n3DS, this one "clicks" into second position like my MM n3DSXL, but not at first position. There is a "bulge" above LED indicators, like my white unit, but other than that, I don't notice any other minor flaws. The power button seems easier to press though, seems to stick out more. But maybe because my Skinomi clear skin is causing more recess with my white unit?

Also, anyone here named Laura Fernandez? Because it looks like I got your order ;) (outside of Walmart shipping box clearly has my name and order info, but there is a packing slip for LF with original order price of $99 plus tax...).

Is that a Skinomi TechSkin on the white 3DS? I have one on my imported glacier white Vita and I love the way it feels (and smells as weird as that may sound). Thinking about picking one up for my 3DS when Nintendo sends it back from repair.

LoveCake

Yeah, everything transfers.

Thank you.

Been playing my new 3DS for a week now. Yeah I'll never go back to a XL. It just feels so much more comfortable.

I have had a 3DS from day one, I have loved it, I have held and tried the 3DSXL and it is just too big for a handheld, I have a original Vita and that is about as big as a handheld should and needs to be, a handheld needs to fit in ones pocket imo.

I have gone for a 'new' 3DS slim.

Vamphuntr

Is there a screen brightness adjust for this? I feel the screens are much darker than my original 3DS. I have the black 3DS black friday unit.

I posted about a month ago when I bought the N3DS that I regretted buying the white unit instead of the Black one. Well, after having mine for a week now I can say that I love it. It looks beautiful and the pictures really don't do justice to the unit.

Anyways, just in case anyone's having second thoughts on the possibility of buying a white one think of my post :)

Is there a screen brightness adjust for this? I feel the screens are much darker than my original 3DS. I have the black 3DS black friday unit.

Serious? That sucks if so lol. I have some partially beaten DS games and was thinking about getting rid of my XL.

What DS games are you guys talking about? Saves for DS games are on the physical cart, no transfer necessary. And if you mean DSiWare games then I'm pretty sure you can transfer those since that's how the Homebrew Exploit method works on latest firmware. Just make sure to select to Move DSiWare games when prompted during the transfer.

ironmang

Didn't know they were saved on the cart lol. Thanks for clearing that up. Went from GBA to 3DS and never had to do a system transfer or anything.

It appears that there is a spec of dust under the top screen of my white unit... How the hell did that happen?? At first I thought it was a scratch because it wouldn't wipe away even with a wet cloth, but I couldn't imagine how it would have gotten scratched since I hardly used this unit, and upon closer inspection it seems to be under the screen *sigh*

I'm hoping it will be less visible after I apply the screen protector today.

On another note, today I closely compared the colors on the screens of my black and white units, because I wanted to check if they look identical before I apply the protector to one of them and then see if it looks different with the protector on, and I noticed that the screen on the black unit is a tiny bit brighter and the colors a tiny bit richer than on the white one. Both the top and bottom screens.

NeOak

On another note, today I closely compared the colors on the screens of my black and white units, because I wanted to check if they look identical before I apply the protector to one of them and then see if it looks different with the protector on, and I noticed that the screen on the black unit is a tiny bit brighter and the colors a tiny bit richer than on the white one. Both the top and bottom screens.

Nintendo and their lack of screen calibration :(

Applied the Hori "zero-air" screen protectors on both systems. Man that was nerve wracking. It was impossible to keep the screens free of dust for a few seconds. I even tried the steaming up the bathroom method, didn't help. But I think the issue was that I was flashing a torch directly at the screens which lets you see even the near microscopic particles that don't cause any issues for the protector (especially this kind)... So I was just making the process harder on myself.

Also my first application on the touchscreen wasn't perfectly positioned. I expected the protector to be cut exactly to the size of the "crater", so I aligned it to be touching the top bezel but turned out it's cut a little smaller than the space, so one line of pixels at the bottom is not covered by the protector and it causes a "rainbowing" effect when you look at it. Oh well, since it's for a kid I don't think he'll notice or care. The second one I did perfectly.

This "gifting project" of mine turned out to be a lot more involved than I anticipated... Still waiting on the cases and chargers from AliExpress. We don't celebrate Christmas so I'm not "late", but I think I'll give them the systems with my USB cable tomorrow to hold them over until those orders arrive.

I checked out my brother's new 3ds XL over Xmas. He had a top IPS screen. You can't mistake it. It's hugely superior.

Having seen that, especially, I think they need to clarify that the XL is a premium system or something. The fact that there are such discrepancies in quality is embarrassing.

Applied the Hori "zero-air" screen protectors on both systems. Man that was nerve wracking. It was impossible to keep the screens free of dust for a few seconds. I even tried the steaming up the bathroom method, didn't help. But I think the issue was that I was flashing a torch directly at the screens which lets you see even the near microscopic particles that don't cause any issues for the protector (especially this kind)... So I was just making the process harder on myself.

Also my first application on the touchscreen wasn't perfectly positioned. I expected the protector to be cut exactly to the size of the "crater", so I aligned it to be touching the top bezel but turned out it's cut a little smaller than the space, so one line of pixels at the bottom is not covered by the protector and it causes a "rainbowing" effect when you look at it. Oh well, since it's for a kid I don't think he'll notice or care. The second one I did perfectly.

This "gifting project" of mine turned out to be a lot more involved than I anticipated... Still waiting on the cases and chargers from AliExpress. We don't celebrate Christmas so I'm not "late", but I think I'll give them the systems with my USB cable tomorrow to hold them over until those orders arrive.

Next time you apply a screen protector you need this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&Q=&A=details

It's meant to blow dust off photography lenses.
I used it for my screen protector application for a non hori screen protector, and there's nary a dust speck in sight!

You might want to avoid buying on amazon though. Before I got mine a few years ago, I saw some of the reviews talking about vastly inferior Chinese knockoffs. B and H camera is a good shop to get the legit product though.

Next time you apply a screen protector you need this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&Q=&A=details

It's meant to blow dust off photography lenses.
I used it for my screen protector application for a non hori screen protector, and there's nary a dust speck in sight!

You might want to avoid buying on amazon though. Before I got mine a few years ago, I saw some of the reviews talking about vastly inferior Chinese knockoffs. B and H camera is a good shop to get the legit product though.

I have that exact one (since 2008, I love photography) and I was using it like crazy before applying the protectors, but a dust spec or two would always land on the screen seconds later it seemed. I guess my home is too dusty :p

I managed in the end though :)

I checked out my brother's new 3ds XL over Xmas. He had a top IPS screen. You can't mistake it. It's hugely superior.

Having seen that, especially, I think they need to clarify that the XL is a premium system or something. The fact that there are such discrepancies in quality is embarrassing.

So tempted to buy this. But I actually really dislike every color other than black, and this Hyrule edition is among my least favorites. If it was black I would have jumped on it, $370 and all... There are Top IPS ones for cheaper, but I want Dual IPS or bust.

It's not a premium system or anything like that. Nintendo is just random with what screens they put in the handhelds.

I had 4 BF 3DSes at one point and put them all together and they all looked different from each other (viewing angle, color temperature, brightness).

Bottom Line: Nintendo SUCKS at consistency and QC with the 3DS and no one really knows why.

Bloodsent

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have had a really hard time finding replacement stylus pens that fit into the New 3DS that aren't meant for the XL. Anyone have any links to some?

Also best price/location on the Hori screen protectors?

Piscus

It's not a premium system or anything like that. Nintendo is just random with what screens they put in the handhelds.

I had 4 BF 3DSes at one point and put them all together and they all looked different from each other (viewing angle, color temperature, brightness).

Bottom Line: Nintendo SUCKS at consistency and QC with the 3DS and no one really knows why.

I know why: because it was being sold for $100.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have had a really hard time finding replacement stylus pens that fit into the New 3DS that aren't meant for the XL. Anyone have any links to some?

Also best price/location on the Hori screen protectors?

I think you can find replacement stylus pens on Aliexpress.com and they would be the cheapest there too, but you'll have to wait like 3 weeks or more for shipping, unless you want to pay double digits for shipping. The way I like to search on Aliexpress is do a search then sort the results by "Orders", so the top results will be the products that sold the most and have the most reviews, so it's easy to check if they are good quality and if the seller is reliable.

I know the Hori protectors are sold on Amazon Japan and Play Asia. I got mine from Amazon.co.jp, turned out cheaper for me that way, I also got a couple of other things with that order (MicroUSB charging adapter for the 3DS, it was like $2 while on Amazon.com it's almost $9... and *ahem* underwear)

Oh and there are 3 different types of Hori screen protectors for the New 3DS. Know which one you want.

Bloodsent

I think you can find replacement stylus pens on Aliexpress.com and they would be the cheapest there too, but you'll have to wait like 3 weeks or more for shipping, unless you want to pay double digits for shipping. The way I like to search on Aliexpress is do a search then sort the results by "Orders", so the top results will be the products that sold the most and have the most reviews, so it's easy to check if they are good quality and if the seller is reliable.

I know the Hori protectors are sold on Amazon Japan and Play Asia. I got mine from Amazon.co.jp, turned out cheaper for me that way, I also got a couple of other things with that order (MicroUSB charging adapter for the 3DS, it was like $2 while on Amazon.com it's almost $9... and *ahem* underwear)

Oh and there are 3 different types of Hori screen protectors for the New 3DS. Know which one you want.

Thanks for the response, I will look at aliexpress. Had no idea about the different types of protectors. Is there a general protector for scratches?

Thanks for the response, I will look at aliexpress. Had no idea about the different types of protectors. Is there a general protector for scratches?

There are two, one is easier to apply and won't form bubbles even if you trap some dust under it. And another normal one, which is reportedly more scratch resistant. I got the former which I applied today.

btrboyev

I got to see a regular sized 3DS screen today for the first time and I can't believe how better they are than the XL. Games looks way cleaner.

LQX

Bought this case for my New 3DS and it is actually pretty decent for $2...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322147751236?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It will maybe provide protection for one or two hard drops. And there is not much back protection but it sure does look good if using a nice cover-plate.

Also have to recommend the Hori case and especially Nintendo 3DS Game Card Case. Both are compact and well built.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K6LQAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

DonMigs85

I think the DS Lite is still by far their worst-built system. Cracking, floppy hinges, yellowish screens, easily-scratched exterior, unresponsive buttons, gaps in the housing, and inaccurate touch screens were very common. Though anecdotally there seem to be more cases of n3DS units dying suddenly or one or both screens stop working.

I got to see a regular sized 3DS screen today for the first time and I can't believe how better they are than the XL. Games looks way cleaner.

Heh, it's funny I was writing the below post while GAF was down, and it's about the topic you brought up.

I never thought I would be saying this... but I may have found games that I prefer playing on the smaller N3DS. This is not good (because now I want to own both sizes)

I've always been vocal about my preference for the XL's screens. The improved pixel density on the smaller screen never came close to outweighing the better feeling I got from the larger screens (for what it's worth I always play in 3D, and I think it plays a role in my preference for the larger screen, in most games).

Let me preface this by saying that the Sega 3D Classics are probably my favorite thing about the 3DS's entire library. I'm crazy in love with them.

I tried 3D Super Hang-On on the soon-to-be-my-nephew's regular sized 3DS, and predictably I felt the smaller screen was too underwhelming and the game almost lost its appeal to me. Then I tried 3D Streets of Rage 2, and as I usually I do I started gushing about how cool the game looks in 3D; the beauty of these 3D remasters never gets old to me... but then I realized this seems to look even better than I remember it from my XL... could it be?? After some more play time and more gushing. I pulled my XL and booted the same game to compare... hmm, yup, this game definitely looks nicer on the smaller screen! This is a first for me.

Next I tried 3D Sonic on both systems, and again, I like how it looks on the small screen more. I'm guessing the same will be true for Shinobi and the other side-scrollers. This is a bittersweet revelation to me, because on the one hand I welcome any way that would make my favorite games look ever better, but on the other hand I know without a doubt that I prefer the XL for the vast majority of the system's library... except these few gems, but they are my favorite gems. So now I feel like I need to keep two systems. I don't have money growing on trees Nintendo! :p

DonMigs85

Heh, it's funny I was writing the below post while GAF was down, and it's about the topic you brought up.

I never thought I would be saying this... but I may have found games that I prefer playing on the smaller N3DS. This is not good (because now I want to own both sizes)

I've always been vocal about my preference for the XL's screens. The improved pixel density on the smaller screen never came close to outweighing the better feeling I got from the larger screens (for what it's worth I always play in 3D, and I think it plays a role in my preference for the larger screen, in most games).

Let me preface this by saying that the Sega 3D Classics are probably my favorite thing about the 3DS's entire library. I'm crazy in love with them.

I tried 3D Super Hang-On on the soon-to-be-my-nephew's regular sized 3DS, and predictably I felt the smaller screen was too underwhelming and the game almost lost its appeal to me. Then I tried 3D Streets of Rage 2, and as I usually I do I started gushing about how cool the game looks in 3D; the beauty of these 3D remasters never gets old to me... but then I realized this seems to look even better than I remember it from my XL... could it be?? After some more play time and more gushing. I pulled my XL and booted the same game to compare... hmm, yup, this game definitely looks nicer on the smaller screen! This is a first for me.

Next I tried 3D Sonic on both systems, and again, I like how it looks on the small screen more. I'm guessing the same will be true for Shinobi and the other side-scrollers. This is a bittersweet revelation to me, because on the one hand I welcome any way that would make my favorite games look ever better, but on the other hand I know without a doubt that I prefer the XL for the vast majority of the system's library... except these few gems, but they are my favorite gems. So now I feel like I need to keep two systems. I don't have money growing on trees Nintendo! :p

I'm kind of the opposite, I think. I find that 3D polygon games like Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, Monster Hunter and Zelda look cleaner and sharper on the smaller screens, while 2D pixel/sprite-based games like Outrun and Sonic look better and have more impact on the XL screen. Same goes for SNES and Game Boy titles. The giant pixels don't hurt those types of games as much IMO.

I'm kind of the opposite, I think. I find that 3D polygon games like Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, Monster Hunter and Zelda look cleaner and sharper on the smaller screens, while 2D pixel/sprite-based games like Outrun and Sonic look better and have more impact on the XL screen. Same goes for SNES and Game Boy titles. The giant pixels don't hurt those types of games as much IMO.

It's fascinating how people see things differently. I especially noticed this phenomena on the 3DS. And it's not just regarding regular vs XL, but 3D on vs off, and other screens quality/attributes. It's like the system's screens reveal differences in the human visual system between people that we never heard about with other display technologies.

I like Out Run and Super Hang-On on the XL better... I think fast paced games with 3D movement benefit from the bigger screen, it's more immersive and "sucks you in"... On the other hand I love how the slower moving sprites in the side-scrollers look "more solid" on the smaller screen, while on the XL they look a bit like looking at a print with a magnifying glass. You see empty spaces between the pixels and the objects lose that "solid" look.

DonMigs85

It's fascinating how people see things differently. I especially noticed this phenomena on the 3DS. And it's not just regarding regular vs XL, but 3D on vs off, and other screens quality/attributes. It's like the system's screens reveal differences in the human visual system between people that we never heard about with other display technologies.

I like Out Run and Super Hang-On on the XL better... I think fast paced games with 3D movement benefit from the bigger screen, it's more immersive and "sucks you in"... On the other hand I love how the slower moving sprites in the side-scrollers look "more solid" on the smaller screen, while on the XL they look a bit like looking at a print with a magnifying glass. You see empty spaces between the pixels and the objects lose that "solid" look.
Also I have to say that Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice has some of the best 3D I've ever seen on the system, at least for the mostly static backgrounds. Performance tanks a bit with an animated 3D model.

Also I have to say that Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice has some of the best 3D I've ever seen on the system, at least for the mostly static backgrounds. Performance tanks a bit with an animated 3D model.

Hmm, interesting. The Phoenix Wright games don't appeal to me, but I'm intrigued by this 3D you speak of.

I think the Streets of Rage games have some of the best 3D I've seen. The diorama look is so charming.

Agkel

Ughh!

I just got my order from walmart that i made on Nov 25 and it has 2 little clumps of dust (the size of 2 to 3 pixels each) i side the top screen. Im so pissed, I keep giving Nintendo chances and I keep getting burned by their QC.

DonMigs85

Ughh!

I just got my order from walmart that i made on Nov 25 and it has 2 little clumps of dust (the size of 2 to 3 pixels each) i side the top screen. Im so pissed, I keep giving Nintendo chances and I keep getting burned by their QC.

Gunpei Yokoi must be spinning in his grave

LoveCake

Also have to recommend the Hori case and especially Nintendo 3DS Game Card Case. Both are compact and well built.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K6LQAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

j7mj9rV.jpg

What case is that (for the 'new' 3DS?)

My 'new' 3DS slim arrived just now, and it's bigger than the original so this won't fit in my existing case :mad: (why is it not the same size as the original?) also neither of the screens have a protector on them already, I do have some of the protectors which I can cut to size, but why not come with a set already on and when I looked I saw that the MH4 plates were separate so I would get the default set of plates and the MH4 plates (I don't like the look of the MH4 plates) but the default plates are a different colour black to the actual body of the 3DS, what is the point in not having them the same colour.

Quick question, I am keeping this 'new' 3DS slim until the (A) button on my original 3DS gives in (which seems like it isn't going to be too far off) I got it from the UK Nintendo store, is it worth me charging it up turning it on to test it or should I just leave it until I swap everything over?

EDIT: I have found the case on Play Asia also getting the 'Soft Crystal Shell 3D for New 3DS' and 'Zero Air Pitahari Filter for New 3DS' I have read about the issues with the filter/protectors but I really only want this for the bottom screen, my original 3DS still has the original protector on it, the top screen I just use iPhone ones I got cheap off Amazon because of the scratches the bottom screen bevel leaves on the top screen.

Izayoi

Banned
What's really fucking ridiculous, not only is the New 3DS sold out everywhere, but so is the New 3DS XL, 2DS, AND WiiU... In-store and online, it's impossible to get ANY NINTENDO HARDWARE AT MSRP.

WHAT THE FUCK???

NoA is the most incompetent company on the face of the planet.

Ecto311

What's really fucking ridiculous, not only is the New 3DS sold out everywhere, but so is the New 3DS XL, 2DS, AND WiiU... In-store and online, it's impossible to get ANY NINTENDO HARDWARE AT MSRP.

WHAT THE FUCK???

Weird months ago people were shitting all over the wiiu and now people are calling them incompetent for not having them ready on the shelfs with less than a few months between that and the new system.

I assume most who wanted a wiiu at least got one already or could get one from craigs list / ebay.

Plus after the holiday surge for the 3ds and the low price coupled with pokemon coming out I can understand how they are hard to find.

I listed a monster hunter new 3ds XL in the buy sell trade thread a few times and no bites what so ever even with it being under MSRP and like new condition with 2 games. I don't get it - tons of bitching and no interest in a great deal. Local craigs list here shows a ton of hardware available too.

But nintendo is the incompetent ones. I hope this is as much a surprise to them as it is everyone else not able to get one.

n64coder

WHAT THE FUCK???

I think you can still get the New 3DS XL red from store.nintendo.com for $170 which is the refurbished model.

Anyway, this was the holiday season. Stock should return to the stores after the New Year would be my guess.

n64coder

I listed a monster hunter new 3ds XL in the buy sell trade thread a few times and no bites what so ever even with it being under MSRP and like new condition with 2 games. I don't get it - tons of bitching and no interest in a great deal.

How much were you selling it for?

I think the issue is that people in the B/S/T are looking for a 3DS for $100-$120. Selling it for $170+ will cause them to move on since they can get it for $170 from Nintendo.

Daknight

Man, I can't find a charger anywhere at all. My wife gifted me the new 3ds xl, but she didn't know the no ac adapter thing.

Went to a toys r' us (and call others from there), walmart and best buy.They are all out of stuck till after jan 6. I live in Puerto Rico so no Gamestop. Guess ordering via amazon and wait a week for it to arrive is my only choice.

Top Bottom