• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$99 New 3DS Black Friday Deal

Finally got my shipping confirmation.

Walmart dragged their asses for so goddamn long on this. I should just keep it until the last day of the holiday return period and return it just to spite them.

LoveCake

What is the view on the 'new' 3DS's, I would rather have the smaller 3DS (like my original) or is the 3DSXL better in regards to less issues and problems?

I have to say that reading the comments about problems with dead pixels, gaps between the LED's and the screen still being marked by the bevel on the bottom screen :/

I am really in two minds as the 3DSXL is cheaper and much more available, but the 3DS (small) is much more convenient size-wise but is more expensive and harder to find, yes I know these are first world problems, but I am looking at this long term and want the least amount of problems, and also parts availability in the future, I didn't have a problem with getting replacement triggers for my original 3DS, I would have a go at replacing the (A) button which is letting go, but it's the actual switch on the board by the looks of it and on iFixit the job looks and seems to be very hard with some device braking opportunities, I am also worried about moving the data from my original 3DS to a new one :/

What is the view on the 'new' 3DS's, I would rather have the smaller 3DS (like my original) or is the 3DSXL better in regards to less issues and problems?

I have to say that reading the comments about problems with dead pixels, gaps between the LED's and the screen still being marked by the bevel on the bottom screen :/

I currently have a New XL in black, and two smaller New 3DS one black and one white. I personally much prefer the XL, the bigger screens makes playing games more enjoyable to me, and since I never take my gaming handhelds when I leave home portability is not an issue to me.

I never had any dead pixels on any of my Nintendo products, including these. I think this is a very rare issue and you don't have to worry about it. If you get very unlucky and get dead pixels I think you can return/replace it.

The gap under the LEDs is a really minor non-issue in my opinion. It's just cosmetic and you only see it when you look for it, the gap is literally a hair's width, and not all units have it. Again, don't worry about it.

The scratching of the top screen IS a fucking problem though and I can't believe it's still an issue after all these years. I never used screen protectors on any of my Nintendo systems, and wasn't planning on doing so now, but after I read about the self-scratching in this thread, I grabbed one of my new 3DS and applied some pressure on it while closed, and sure enough there was a vertical line marking on the top screen. Luckly this wasn't a scratch and was easily wiped away, but I can see it leaving a permanent mark if stronger pressure is applied (like if carrying it in a pocket)... This normally wouldn't be an issue for me since like I said I only play them at home, but I'll be giving the smaller one to kids, so I just went ahead and ordered screen protectors for them. Which brings me to the next point:

also parts availability in the future, I didn't have a problem with getting replacement triggers for my original 3DS, I would have a go at replacing the (A) button which is letting go, but it's the actual switch on the board by the looks of it and on iFixit the job looks and seems to be very hard with some device braking opportunities, I am also worried about moving the data from my original 3DS to a new one :/

Yeah this also sucks. I usually buy everything from Amazon.com but for this I had to order from Amazon Japan for the first time, and it was confusing and not easy trying to make sure I don't order the wrong thing.

Overall I prefer the size, screens and build quality of the XL. It feels less like a toy compared to the small ones.

I don't understand the worry about moving data. You're the second person to voice this concern in this thread since yesterday. There is nothing to worry about. The process is easy and fool-proof. Nintendo has a step by step guide on how to do it on their website.

LoveCake

I currently have a New XL in black, and two smaller New 3DS one black and one white. I personally much prefer the XL, the bigger screens makes playing games more enjoyable to me, and since I never take my gaming handhelds when I leave home portability is not an issue to me.

I never had any dead pixels on any of my Nintendo products, including these. I think this is a very rare issue and you don't have to worry about it. If you get very unlucky and get dead pixels I think you can return/replace it.

The gap under the LEDs is a really minor non-issue in my opinion. It's just cosmetic and you only see it when you look for it, the gap is literally a hair's width, and not all units have it. Again, don't worry about it.

The scratching of the top screen IS a fucking problem though and I can't believe it's still an issue after all these years. I never used screen protectors on any of my Nintendo systems, and wasn't planning on doing so now, but after I read about the self-scratching in this thread, I grabbed one of my new 3DS and applied some pressure on it while closed, and sure enough there was a vertical line marking on the top screen. Luckly this wasn't a scratch and was easily wiped away, but I can see it leaving a permanent mark if stronger pressure is applied (like if carrying it in a pocket)... This normally wouldn't be an issue for me since like I said I only play them at home, but I'll be giving the smaller one to kids, so I just went ahead and ordered screen protectors for them. Which brings me to the next point:

Yeah this also sucks. I usually buy everything from Amazon.com but for this I had to order from Amazon Japan for the first time, and it was confusing and not easy trying to make sure I don't order the wrong thing.

Overall I prefer the size, screens and build quality of the XL. It feels less like a toy compared to the small ones.

I don't understand the worry about moving data. You're the second person to voice this concern in this thread since yesterday. There is nothing to worry about. The process is easy and fool-proof. Nintendo has a step by step guide on how to do it on their website.

Hmm thanks, going to have to think this through, I have been going from the 3DSXL to the 3DS back and forth, the (A) button is ok some days and plays up on others, it is on it's way out so I am going to have to get a new 3DS, I did start a thread about the data transfer, what I will be doing though is getting a microSD and an adaptor swapping my data over and using the microSD in the adaptor inside my existing original 3DS, so I can just swap over when I get a new 3DS just to get prepared just in-case anything does happen.

Lorcain

I just received my shipping confirmation from Walmart. 11/26 BF order with 12/20 arrival (was originally 12/16). Seems like it's really happening.

C.Mongler

giphy.gif

lord forgive me for i have made a joke that was taken as literal on GAF

anyway, mine still hasn't shipped (25th ordered, 5th estimated delivery) so I called the escalation hotline last night and left a message saying literally "So my order for the black Mario New 3ds still hasn't shipped, but I've been seeing online that a lot of folks' orders are now shipping, and that you guys now have them listed as in-stock and are selling them again; I just wanted to make sure mine was going to be on the way soon as I really need it for Christmas. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any help you can give me."

Got an e-mail response this morning saying they guarantee it will arrive before Christmas and should be shipping shortly, as well as that they will followup within 24-hours with an update to my order's status; I was also e-mailed from an actual tangible person & e-mail address which is nice. Order sttill hasn't changed at all as of this post, but I'm hopeful I guess considering other folks are getting theirs (despite having ordered later and having later delivery dates than I did...).

My order just shipped and is arriving Monday. Looks like they upgraded me to 1 day for free. Seeing as it's shipping from Florida I don't expect much delay hopefully.

RCSI

My Mario Black Edition has now shipped (email confirmation was a few hours late) from Florida. Ordered on December 9, delivery on the 19th. I have a Blastoise cover plate waiting for a N3DS.

Unicorn

Anyone else getting the LCD pitting and an uneven finish on the plastic?

Are you referring to your own personal unit, or is there some discussion board somewhere where everyone is sharing their monstrosity of a 3DS? I haven't seen many people post in here with issues outside of TN screens and power button problems.

As a heads up, Nintendo World in NYC had a few $99 white 3ds at around 1pm. They weren't advertised in store and it wasn't super busy, so there might be a few lying around still. I was very excited to get one for my daughter for Christmas.

Charadis

Status on my Walmart order changed to Shipped! No e-mail received though. Ordered black new 3DS on Dec. 9 for in-store pickup, tracking doesn't work, yet, though.

Edit: Seeing how other stores don't seem to have any more stock of these systems... I'm wondering if Walmart intentionally "stowed" a few units behind from Black Friday to release right before Christmas, just to sell at the higher price.... taking queue from those scalpers, of course...

ironmang

What kind of screen protectors do you guys use? I'm looking for one that's easy to install, doesn't scratch easy, and doesn't interfere with the stylus at all. Cheap is a big bonus. :p

I'm seeing some $2 ones on ebay that come with free shipping. Anybody have luck with something like that?

I am really in two minds as the 3DSXL is cheaper and much more available, but the 3DS (small) is much more convenient size-wise but is more expensive and harder to find, yes I know these are first world problems, but I am looking at this long term and want the least amount of problems, and also parts availability in the future, I didn't have a problem with getting replacement triggers for my original 3DS, I would have a go at replacing the (A) button which is letting go, but it's the actual switch on the board by the looks of it and on iFixit the job looks and seems to be very hard with some device braking opportunities, I am also worried about moving the data from my original 3DS to a new one :/

I think I may have just been lucky with my new 3DS experiences. (disclaimer)

I also have the new 3DS XL and 2 smaller ones. I was lucky and never had any trouble getting my hands on either (including the Majora's Mask and 20th anniversary pokemon edition). I did like how the games looked on the XL. However, I quickly realized the XL is just too big for my hands. Held out for the smaller version and it's perfect for me. The screen is larger then the original which I completely love and it wasn't much of a shock downsizing. Both of the systems I use have the Hori TPU cover on them, so I haven't noticed any screen scratching. Both are great imo I just prefer the smaller.

What kind of screen protectors do you guys use? I'm looking for one that's easy to install, doesn't scratch easy, and doesn't interfere with the stylus at all. Cheap is a big bonus. :p

I'm seeing some $2 ones on ebay that come with free shipping. Anybody have luck with something like that?

I was looking for answers to these very questions yesterday, and I came to the conclusion that screen protectors is something I don't want to cheap out or take a gamble on. So I went with the most recommended, officially licensed ones by Hori. I ordered them from Amazon Japan since they were the cheapest there (around $4 if I'm not mistaken... I'm so unfamiliar with the value of the Yen and had to Google conversions every few minutes), along with a few other items I wanted (like a microUSB charging adapter for 3DS, also cheaper there than other places).

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00NFCD6X8/

Ashhong

I was looking for answers to these very questions yesterday, and I came to the conclusion that screen protectors is something I don't want to cheap out or take a gamble on. So I went with the most recommended, officially licensed ones by Hori. I ordered them from Amazon Japan since they were the cheapest there (around $4 if I'm not mistaken... I'm so unfamiliar with the value of the Yen and had to Google conversions every few minutes), along with a few other items I wanted (like a microUSB charging adapter for 3DS, also cheaper there than other places).

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00NFCD6X8/

I went with Hori as well but went for the one that filters out blue light. I figured if I'm getting a protector I might as well go all out. It's not supposed to affect the color of the screen. Also went for the official Hori case instead of the one on Aliexpress that's been posted in here.

DSC03165-e1343405150345.jpg

Not my pic but looks like that

Does it wipe off? Looks like the dots from the two screens rubbing against each other that I've seen. Only happens if a lot of pressure is put on it

Black one from amazon here and button isn't hard to press at all. Had it almost a month now and never had any issues. Hinge is tight. No light leaking on sides of screen. Power button is fine. No scratches from being closed.

Ah must have been hit and miss then.

Mine was a black one from GameStop. Really hard to press... so I'm just never shutting it off. Makes the horrible battery life... even worse.

I went with Hori as well but went for the one that filters out blue light. I figured if I'm getting a protector I might as well go all out. It's not supposed to affect the color of the screen.

That doesn't make any sense. How could it filter blue light but not affect color? I specifically made sure to avoid that one because I want my screen protector to be as invisible as possible, and a blue light filter is the farthest thing from that.

Ashhong

That doesn't make any sense. How could it filter blue light but not affect color? I specifically made sure to avoid that one because I want my screeb protector to be as invisible as possible, and a blue light filter is the farthest thing from that.

Beats me. I've never used one that filters out blue light. That's what the reviews said. I'll let you know once it comes in from Japan....

I use the standard Hori protector, it seems the zero-air/Pitahari filter may get scratched more easily apparently.

new_3ds_hori_screen_protector.jpg

Damn I didn't know there was another kind. I would have probably gotten this instead. It's so frustrating when the product is only available from Japan and you don't read Japanese :(

Do you have a link for that?

Ashhong

Damn I didn't know there was another kind. I would have probably gotten this instead. It's so frustrating when the product is only available from Japan and you don't read Japanese :(

Do you have a link for that?

According to the Hori site, the one you got is more expensive than that one so I would assume it's better. You can try translating

http://www.hori.jp/products/New3DS.php

Also check out reviews for this other brands blue light filter protectors. Apparently it's completely transparent, so I'm hoping Hori is as good

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0159EEP7K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

According to the Hori site, the one you got is more expensive than that one so I would assume it's better. You can try translating

http://www.hori.jp/products/New3DS.php

Also check out reviews for this other brands blue light filter protectors. Apparently it's completely transparent, so I'm hoping Hori is as good

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0159EEP7K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for the Hori link. From the description it does sound like the cheaper one is more scratch resistant like DonMigs85 said. Which makes sense, there is usually a compromise when a product is developed to have one feature or the other (easier installation in the zero air Vs harder material in the standard).

image01.jpg

■ filter configuration
①: hard coat layer of high-strength suitable for LCD screen protects from scratches by touch pen.
②: PET layer
③: silicon adhesive layer, so we have adopted the silicon material, you can re-paste any number of times.

I'm also interested in the differences between the body covers. I also didn't know there were 3 different types, I thought there were only two, and both seemed to have flaws or aspects that I didn't like. I didn't want a hard plastic one (PC), and people were saying the TPU one easily slips off. But looking at the third one (silicon) it seems to solve the slipping off issue by having the top and bottom pieces connected. Also interesting how it covers the shoulder buttons too... i wonder if that makes pressing them feel awkward or if it can cause them to be pressed accidentally.

image01.jpg

hayejin

Wow I didn't realize 2ds to normal 3ds to all new 3ds are sold out everywhere.
Even Wii U to some extent.

Just holiday shortage or are they just OOP?

Charadis

I've always preferred tempered glass screen protectors with 2.5D edges, chemically treated if possible. I had used PET film for my n3DS XL, but had been getting bad luck finding a good set for the regular n3DS I just got a couple weeks ago - Xtreme Guard sent me the wrong protectors, another company sent me poor quality skins, and there is nothing I could find for the top screen around town.

I decided to give AFUNTA a try. Here is their link on Amazon, but I found a set on eBay for around $15:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0K7IBT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATQWPUY890LK5

eZ5AlVT.jpg

I have tempered glass on my PS Vita, as well, and was very impressed with the result. I've been cautious with the 3DS because I've read the protector is a little thick, and touches the case before the rubber bumpers do. This is true for the n3DS, in my experience, but very very slightly. You could hardly tell unless you close your 3DS very carefully, which I usually do.

yFrxy6X.jpg

Screen quality looks great. I don't even really notice glare when the screen/s are on for both systems, or not enough to matter. The display seems natural, and oil or dust both wipe off very easily. No scratches on the PS Vita protector so far, and I've had it for about a year already.

vqL2ywC.jpg

I highly recommend glass, but it is little thick if that bothers you to have it press against the screen frame a little when closed.

DonMigs85

I posted it before, but I do like the look of the silicone protector. Feels nice in the hand too. TPU would be my second choice. Hori's is sold out on Play-Asia but Gametech has one, and it seems more clear than Hori's:
http://www.play-asia.com/new-soft-crystal-shell-3d-for-new-3ds-clear/13/708dsn

This is my white silicone case

Avoid the hard polycarbonate crystal cases at all cost. They can crack/shatter, scratch easily or damage the finish of your system.

I posted it before, but I do like the look of the silicone protector. Feels nice in the hand too. TPU would be my second choice. Hori's is sold out on Play-Asia but Gametech has one, and it seems more clear than Hori's:
http://www.play-asia.com/new-soft-crystal-shell-3d-for-new-3ds-clear/13/708dsn

This is my white silicone case

Avoid the hard polycarbonate crystal cases at all cost. They can crack/shatter, scratch easily or damage the finish of your system.

I don't care for the case clarity... does the silicon one make it harder to put in and out of a pocket (friction/stickiness with fabrics)?

DonMigs85

I don't care for the case clarity... does the silicon one make it harder to put in and out of a pocket (friction/stickiness with fabrics)?

No, it's actually pretty smooth, although dust and hair can stick to it. Brushes off pretty easily though compared to other silicone cases I've used, like for my iPod and Wiimote.

No, it's actually pretty smooth, although dust and hair can stick to it. Brushes off pretty easily though compared to other silicone cases I've used, like for my iPod and Wiimote.

Cool. You have the Hori one? I didn't think it comes in clear. On their site it shows black and white options, same on Amazon Japan. Maybe the white is the "clear" one. Edit: just saw that you mentioned yours is the white one.

I wish I had known all this before I made my order yesterday. I might have gotten the silicon cases instead of the screen protectors. Since I was only worried about scratching the upper screen when the lid is closed, and this cover seems to solve that problem + external protection.

DonMigs85

Cool. You have the Hori one? I didn't think it comes in clear. On their site it shows black and white options, same on Amazon Japan. Maybe the white is the "clear" one. Edit: just saw that you mentioned yours is the white one.

I wish I had known all this before I made my order yesterday. I might have gotten the silicon cases instead of the screen protectors. Since I was only worried about scratching the upper screen when the lid is closed, and this cover seems to solve that problem + external protection.

Yup, mine is the white, pretty sure it only comes in black and white even though their sites shows a pink example. I think the screen protectors are still a good idea as an insurance policy against possible screen pitting. The silicone case mantains the same allowance the normal rubber bumpers above the top screen do.

So is Japan the only way to get the official Hori TPU duraflexi protector right now?

I swear its like newly released phones--hardly any protective cases for them out of the gate.

Yup, mine is the white, pretty sure it only comes in black and white even though their sites shows a pink example. I think the screen protectors are still a good idea as an insurance policy against possible screen pitting. The silicone case mantains the same allowance the normal rubber bumpers above the top screen do.

Ah that's right, makes sense. Now I don't feel too bad about my order, still would have maybe ordered these cases as well and saved on shipping.

Does the cover cause any issues with the shoulder buttons? Any other issues you can mention? Or you recommend it without reservation?

DonMigs85

Ah that's right, makes sense. Now I don't feel too bad about my order, still would have maybe ordered these cases as well and saved on shipping.

Does the cover cause any issues with the shoulder buttons? Any other issues you can mention? Or you recommend it without reservation?
Actually it makes the shoulder buttons and power button easier to press IMO

Actually it makes the shoulder buttons and power button easier to press IMO

Oh that's interesting and good to hear. I also read someone else say it makes the power button easier to press (on Amazon Japan's reviews, the Google translation there can be hilarious sometimes). I can't picture/understand how it makes the power button easier to press though, but I'll take it!

Koppai

I went with Hori as well but went for the one that filters out blue light. I figured if I'm getting a protector I might as well go all out. It's not supposed to affect the color of the screen. Also went for the official Hori case instead of the one on Aliexpress that's been posted in here.

Does it wipe off? Looks like the dots from the two screens rubbing against each other that I've seen. Only happens if a lot of pressure is put on it
My Pokémon 20th Anniversary 3ds has this :(

bobawesome

I've always preferred tempered glass screen protectors with 2.5D edges, chemically treated if possible. I had used PET film for my n3DS XL, but had been getting bad luck finding a good set for the regular n3DS I just got a couple weeks ago - Xtreme Guard sent me the wrong protectors, another company sent me poor quality skins, and there is nothing I could find for the top screen around town.

I decided to give AFUNTA a try. Here is their link on Amazon, but I found a set on eBay for around $15:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0K7IBT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATQWPUY890LK5

I have tempered glass on my PS Vita, as well, and was very impressed with the result. I've been cautious with the 3DS because I've read the protector is a little thick, and touches the case before the rubber bumpers do. This is true for the n3DS, in my experience, but very very slightly. You could hardly tell unless you close your 3DS very carefully, which I usually do.

Screen quality looks great. I don't even really notice glare when the screen/s are on for both systems, or not enough to matter. The display seems natural, and oil or dust both wipe off very easily. No scratches on the PS Vita protector so far, and I've had it for about a year already.

I highly recommend glass, but it is little thick if that bothers you to have it press against the screen frame a little when closed.

I really need to get a tempered glass screen protector for my Vita. I had one on an older system and it was nice.

Top Bottom